What's new

Senate passes SBP bill amid Opposition's protest

Bro do you seriously believe that or is it for the sake of politics?

Having an autonomous state Bank is corner stone of financial sustainability for a country. The reason you end up at IMF doorsteps every few years is because of the interference in SBP ( from currency manipulation to printing).

I am not defending the IMF here, I am defending the SBP.

I might have expected this from someone like Fisher1 or Jackthe ripper whatever but not a member like you.

actually yes we did had some level of independence, lets admit we have ALWAYS bent over to IMF but lets just say this time we are kissing the ground rather than staying till knees.

I am sorry that my views were not upto your expectations, hey can't be perfect all the time, cheers :)

Here the central bank makes policies and the entire government and private sector adjusts and make policies around that. In Pakistan a phone call makes the SBP make political decisions and it is by far the biggest reason of our economic problems .

When you are in trouble you have no choice but to grab the best available option .
It’s either IMF, which by the way is absolutely unfair, but it has forced us to do some macro economic adjustments which if not reversed will bear long term economic benefits. It will take some time but giving independence to SBP is absolutely important. Let them decide economic policies and not take orders from Jatti Umra for money laundering.

This option is not as bad as selling your soul to Saudis to make peace with Israel , or to sell your nuclear security to America .
I'm not here to lecture Pakistanis about choosing to find relief with IMF. In fact, I agree that IMF is the best option for developing countries looking for short term relief. That was in fact what the fund was set up for.

I raised the question because I find strong parallels between the populist nature of India's ruling party and Imran's PTI. Imran has not shown objective improvements and is almost at the end of his term. His accomplishments have fallen behind his claims on the economic front, the seemingly most important front for Pakistan. His followers still blame the opposition similar to Modi's followers blaming 70+ years of congress rule. It is amusing to see the confirmation bias at play in both sides :laugh:

I'm not here to lecture Pakistanis about choosing to find relief with IMF. In fact, I agree that IMF is the best option for developing countries looking for short term relief. That was in fact what the fund was set up for.

I raised the question because I find strong parallels between the populist nature of India's ruling party and Imran's PTI. Imran has not shown objective improvements and is almost at the end of his term. His accomplishments have fallen behind his claims on the economic front, the seemingly most important front for Pakistan. His followers still blame the opposition similar to Modi's followers blaming 70+ years of congress rule. It is amusing to see the confirmation bias at play in both sides :laugh:

Almost doubling the exports by next year is not an achievement ?
Increase in tax collections is not an achievement?
Almost no borrowing from state institutes is not an achievement?
Record duties is not an achievement ?
Making state institutes independent is not an achievement ?
Documenting economy by POS and trace and tracking system is not an achievement?
Record crops of almost every type is not an achievement ?

I am greatly insulted to have Imran compared with that horse shit Modi….

One is building a nation and another is dividing and breaking the country.

Like i said we have always gone to IMF regardless of government, what makes an exception this time besides the tall claims of "kashkool toor du ga" is that we never let them dictate the way this time we are being dictated.
Don't wish to be dictated by IMF ever again? Don't go to IMF every 5 years after bankrupting your economy. Simple
23FBD21F-1783-4712-92D5-D29993C08B39.png

More important question is - What is Imran's plan to wean Pakistan away from the claws of IMF? Please don't bombard me with export charts. Without a view of overall trade balance, the exports taken in isolation may be misleading :-)
We can always trade with India if that helps? 😂

I am not defending the IMF here, I am defending the SBP.
Why aren't you defending Imf here when it's doing the right thing? Forcing govt to do what's necessary to put Pakistan on sustainable development path?

actually yes we did had some level of independence, lets admit we have ALWAYS bent over to IMF but lets just say this time we are kissing the ground rather than staying till knees.

I am sorry that my views were not upto your expectations, hey can't be perfect all the time, cheers :)

Let's put it this way if we keep making the same mistakes which we are used to the next time we will end up sucking IMF di*k.

There are things that IMF demanded that were excessive like the 'mini budget' or the petroleum development levy incremental increase, we could have managed without that but hey beggars can't be choosers. These are the things that were the bone of contention between the government and IMF but they don't need us and we need them.

But there are things that are absolutely necessary for us to sustain ourselves. SBP autonomy is the most crutial of those. ( With or without IMF this should have done a lot time ago). SBP ammendment is the progression of earlier reforms we made regarding currency and government borrowing etc which are absolutely necessary for sustainable growth.

There are mistakes made by us that normal countries don't thats why we end up at the IMF. We need to acknowledge where we went wrong. For example if IMF asks us to increase the power tariff it is because we signed contracts which we can not afford.

By the way after so much crying and shouting and threatening many opposition senators didn’t show up to vote …heck even Gillani was MIA…..
What a bunch of hypocrite and loosers

Almost doubling the exports by next year is not an achievement ?
Increase in tax collections is not an achievement?
Almost no borrowing from state institutes is not an achievement?
Record duties is not an achievement ?
Making state institutes independent is not an achievement ?
Documenting economy by POS and trace and tracking system is not an achievement?
Record crops of almost every type is not an achievement ?

I am greatly insulted to have Imran compared with that horse shit Modi….

One is building a nation and another is dividing and breaking the country.
Yes, your exports have improved. But the current year has seen a lot of developing countries improve exports because of pent up demand from the negative growth in the previous year.

The balance of trade is not impressive compared to 2016 for example - https://www.sbp.org.pk/ecodata/exp_import_BOP.pdf

I'm not knowledgeable about the other metrics you've given though :-)

State Bank of Pakistan has never been independent of the govt. Past govts always abused this to intervene in SBP policy and made artificial overvalued exchange rates that bankrupted the economy over and over again. Now first time IMF is forcing govt to make SBP independent of the govt and you are moaning and whining about loss of independence? 😁
7EE15211-3D99-4D9B-BC94-87CCBC6E4394.jpeg
A09AFB94-B282-405A-B400-D5BD498071CF.jpeg
136FE400-15B6-45A7-A006-D0C312CAEAB9.png

Yes, your exports have improved. But the current year has seen a lot of developing countries improve exports because of pent up demand from the negative growth in the previous year.

The balance of trade is not impressive compared to 2016 for example - https://www.sbp.org.pk/ecodata/exp_import_BOP.pdf

I'm not knowledgeable about the other metrics you've given though :-)

Yes and so is artificial increase in imports …. Such as high cost of raw materials, petroleum and all the supply chain disruption.

Pakistan is not achieving exports by finding new markets but it is more by replacing Indians and Bangladeshi companies .

We have a long long way to go but if this trend continues we will leave Bangladesh behind in two years in sha Allah.

Our non garment exports increased by 60 percent this year and our IT/services alone will hit 14 B in two years in sha Allah.

Every dollar matters but looking at the import bill one can see tempoarary expenses such as almost $2 B in vaccine and related medical expenses . Once this pandemic is behind us and improvement in supply chain we will have much lower inflation and CAD.

Yes and so is artificial increase in imports …. Such as high cost of raw materials, petroleum and all the supply chain disruption.

Pakistan is not achieving exports by finding new markets but it is more by replacing Indians and Bangladeshi companies .

We have a long long way to go but if this trend continues we will leave Bangladesh behind in two years in sha Allah.

Our non garment exports increased by 60 percent this year and our IT/services alone will hit 14 B in two years in sha Allah.
I do not mean to prosecute Pakistan (or PTI for that matter). Just wanted to point to the fact that between 2016 and now, Pakistan's trade deficit has not improved. Trade deficit is an important factor in CAD. It is important for macro economic stability. You can find the annualized official stats released from PBS here - https://www.pbs.gov.pk/sites/default/files//tables/rename-as-per-table-type/14.01_0.pdf

I'll back off before this devolves into an argument :-)

That doesn't matter. It's current account balance that matters which is much better compared with 2018
CAD is trade trade deficit + international investment + loans etc. So if CAD is better despite trade deficit not showing improvement, then one of the other factors must have had a role to play. :cheers:

Senate passes SBP bill amid Opposition's protest​

• Approval of SBP Amendment bill was necessary to ensure Pakistan’s sixth IMF review.
  • Bill passed by majority vote as opposition kept expressing its reservations.
  • Senate session adjourned till Monday 3pm.

ISLAMABAD: The Senate on Friday passed the State Bank of Pakistan (Amendment) Bill 2021 amid an outcry from the opposition on suffering back-to-back defeats in the House, where it otherwise enjoys a dominating numerical strength.
When Federal Minister for Finance and Revenue Shaukat Tarin tabled a motion seeking permission to introduce the SBP bill, the opposition members objected to it. A motion was put forth to vote through division and was carried by 44 against 43 votes, marking the first blow to the opposition in the day.
The bill was passed by a majority vote as the opposition kept on expressing its reservations.
On January 13, the National Assembly passed the SBP autonomy bill along with the supplementary finance bill — both these bills were a requirement by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) programme.
The approval of the State Bank amendment bill was necessary to ensure Pakistan’s sixth review of the $6 billion Extended Fund Facility (EFE) gets cleared by the IMF’s Executive Board which is scheduled to meet on February 2 to decide the disbursement of the $1-billion tranche.
The Senate session has been adjourned till Monday 3pm.

Senate session: who showed up?​

During the session, 12 members were absent, including eight members of the Opposition, two of the government and two from independent candidate Dilawar Khan’s group.
PPP’s Yousuf Raza Gillani, Qasim Ranjho and Sikandar Mendro did not attend the session.
Among Opposition members, Pashtoonkhwa Milli Awami Party’s Shafiq Tareen and Naseema Ehsan did not attend the meeting.
Meanwhile, JUI’s Talha Mahmood and Hidayatullah and Hilal-ur-Rehman, two of the six members of the Dilawar Khan group, were absent from the meeting.
Among the government allies, Senator Faisal Sabzwari and Khalida Ateeb of MQM were absent from the meeting.

Sherry Rehman lambasts govt​

Earlier, PPP Senator Sherry Rehman via Twitter lashed out at the PTI-led government for stripping the country of its autonomy to make decisions by trying to bulldoze the State Bank of Pakistan (Amendment) Bill 2021.
In a series of tweets, Rehman took exception to the issuance of the agenda for today's meeting of the Senate.

The Senator said that issuing the agenda at such a juncture was "unprecedented for government's standards of parliamentary manipulation", which also was proof of the government's "intimidation".
"This is how the government is trying to bulldoze the SBP’s 'autonomy' bill, whereby it strips the country of its own ability to make sovereign decisions in times of national crises," she wrote.
Rehman further stated that the government wants to imply to the IMF that the SBP bill was passed with parliamentary approval but actually, the entire Opposition is against it.
"While borrowing from the State Bank is not always prudent, often inflationary, the IMF’s condition that Pakistan’s central bank can’t raise money at all will impact our sovereign ability to mobilise funds in national emergencies, even war," Rehman said, adding that this is unacceptable.

The Senator further stated that central banks are autonomous only to the extent they make monetary policy but it seems that PTI has borrowed so much in the last three and a half years of its rule that commercial banks will soon become the only lenders.
"What will happen to the SBP, lender of last resort when crisis looms? What will happen to the government’s ability to put down sovereign guarantees in big projects?" she asked.
Rehman said that the debt has been listed as contingent liabilities so that the IMF can overrule even them.
"Such terms are unheard of and rejected by the joint opposition," she asserted.
"Did we hear the finance minister say the central bank should advise the commercial banks that the government may default on its domestic debt? What is going on here? The borrowing has gone through the roof, but this is quite unprecedented," Rehman concluded.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sardar(king) of Munafiqeen Imran Khan Nazi came to power promising he will kill himself before taking IMF loans, who knew the munafiqeen sardar will actually hand over the country to IMF

In fact, all opposition supported the bill in the house but fool the public in general. Imagine just one vote...! Sooner or later upon exit of PTI government, any opposition party/alliance in power has to pass it. So the opposition tries to play smart by using PTI shoulder.
Now the public is aware of such tactics and could not be fooled.

سٹیٹ بینک ترمیمی بِل 2021 کی منظوری: سینیٹ اجلاس میں اپوزیشن جماعتوں کے سینیٹرز کی غیر حاضری اور حکومت کی برتری زیر بحث​

• سحر بلوچ​
  • بی بی سی اردو ڈاٹ کام، اسلام آباد​
3 گھنٹے قبل​
وزیر خزانہ شوکت ترین

،تصویر کا ذریعہSENATE
'یوسف رضا صاحب اپوزیشن لیڈر ہیں۔ میرے خیال میں ان کو سینیٹ میں ہونا چاہیے تھا۔’
پیپلز پارٹی کے رہنما اور سابق وزیر اعظم یوسف رضا گیلانی پر یہ تنقید کوئی اور نہیں بلکہ ان ہی کی جماعت کے سینیٹر مصطفی نواز کھوکر نے کی۔
اس کی وجہ یہ تھی کہ حکومت نے صرف ایک ووٹ سے سینیٹ میں وہ بل منظور کروا لیا جس سے متعلق اپوزیشن سمیت پیپلز پارٹی چیئرمین بلاول بھٹو کا دعوی تھا کہ وہ اس بل کو پاس نہیں ہونے دیں گے۔
حیران کن بات یہ ہے کہ سینیٹ میں اپوزیشن کے اراکین کی اکثریت تھی پھر بھی ایک ووٹ سے حکومت جیت گئی۔
وفاقی وزیر اطلاعات فواد چوہدری نے بعد میں طنزیہ طور پر کہا کہ 'پاکستان پیپلز پارٹی اور یوسف رضا گیلانی کا شکریہ کہ ان کی وجہ سے سینیٹ میں سٹیٹ بینک بِل منظور ہوچکا ہے۔۔۔'
فواد چوہدری لاہور میں صحافیوں سے سنیچر کے روز بات کر رہے تھے۔​

سینیٹ میں اپوزیشن کی اکثریت ہونے کے باوجود بل کیسے منظور ہوا​

یہ موضوع اس لیے اہم ہے کیونکہ پاکستان میں اپوزیشن جماعتیں متعدد بیانات میں انٹرنیشنل مانیٹری فنڈ یعنی آئی ایم ایف کی سفارشات کے تحت ٹیکسز میں اضافے، اس کے نتیجے میں ہونے والی مہنگائی اور سٹیٹ بینک ترمیمی بِل کے خلاف بولتی آئی ہیں۔
حکومتی کوششوں کو سینیٹ میں مسترد کرنے کے لیے اپوزیشن کے پاس یہ بہترین موقع تھا جہاں ان کے پاس 99 میں سے 57 سیٹیں ہیں۔ لیکن اس اہم اجلاس میں آٹھ سینیٹرز (پیپلز پارٹی کے دو اور پی ڈی ایم کے چھ) غیر حاضر رہے اور حتمی کاؤنٹ میں حکومت نے محض ایک ووٹ سے برتری حاصل کرلی۔
پاکستان پیپلز پارٹی کے سینیٹر مصطفی نواز کھوکھر نے بی بی سی کو بتایا کہ اپوزیشن کو اندازہ تو تھا کہ دو فروری کو آئی ایم ایف پاکستان کو فنڈ جاری کرنے کے معاملے پر بحث کرے گا۔ ان کے مطابق آئی ایم ایف کی جانب سے جن اصلاحات کی تکمیل کہی گئی تھی، ان میں سٹیٹ بینک آف پاکستان ترمیمی بِل اور مِنی بجٹ شامل ہیں، وہ بھی جلد از جلد منظور کروائے جائیں گے۔
وہ بتاتے ہیں کہ 'ہمیں یہ بالکل اندازہ تھا کہ یہ بِل کسی بھی وقت آسکتا ہے۔ دو ہفتے پہلے انھوں نے یہ بِل تمام سینیٹ کے ممبران کو بھجوا بھی دیا تھا۔ جب 25 جنوری کو سینیٹ کی کارروائی ملتوی ہوئی کہ جمعہ کو دوبارہ مل سکیں تو ہمیں (یعنی اپوزیشن ارکان کو) 90 فیصد یقین تھا کہ جمعے کو یہ بِل آجائے گا کیونکہ اس کے بعد کوئی تاریخ ہی نہیں بچتی۔'
اب یہ سوال اٹھایا جا رہا ہے کہ سینیٹ میں اپوزیشن رہنماؤں کی اکثریت ہونے کے باوجود یہ بل کیسے منظور ہوا۔
مصطفی نواز کھوکھر نے کہا کہ 'اس کی وجہ یہ ہے کہ اپوزیشن ارکان ایک دوسرے پر اعتماد نہیں کرتے، ہم آہنگی نہیں ہے، اگر ہم ایک پیج پر ہوں تو پھر ایسی صورتحال کا سامنا نہ کرنا پڑے۔'
انھوں نے کہا کہ 'اس وقت اپوزیشن کو اپنی ساکھ بچانے کا سامنا ہے، حکومت کام نہیں کررہی، اسی طرح تاثر بن رہا ہے کہ اپوزیشن بھی کام نہیں کررہی۔'
سینیٹ چیئرمین صادق سنجرانی

،تصویر کا ذریعہSENATE​

سینیٹ اجلاس میں اپوزیشن سینیٹرز کی غیر حاضری زیر بحث​

اپوزیشن کے پاس سینیٹ کی کُل تعداد 99 میں سے 57 ارکان تھے جن کو استعمال کرکے وہ اس بِل کو منظور ہونے سے روک سکتے تھے، جیسا کہ اس سے پہلے وہ متعدد بار دعوی کرتے آئے ہیں۔
حکومت کی عجلت کی مثال یہ تھی کے تعداد مکمل نہ ہونے کے ڈر سے پاکستان تحریکِ انصاف کی ڈاکٹر زرقا سہروردی کو کووڈ ہونے کے باوجود آکسیجن ماسک لگا کر ویل چیئر پر سینیٹ بلایا گیا اور تعداد پوری کی گئی۔
حیران کن طور پر سینیٹ کی اس کارروائی میں اپوزیشن لیڈر یوسف رضا گیلانی سمیت آٹھ ارکان غیر حاضر رہے۔ جبکہ اس سے قبل یوسف رضا گیلانی کو اپوزیشن لیڈر بنانے والے متحرک دلاور خان گروپ نے اپنے چار ووٹ حکومت کو دے دیے۔
اس دوران ایک موقع ایسا بھی آیا کہ حکومت اور اپوزیشن دونوں کے درمیان ووٹوں کی تعداد برابر یعنی 43 ہوگئی۔ ایسی صورتحال میں چیئرمین سینیٹ کو ووٹ دینے کا حق حاصل ہوتا ہے، جس کو استعمال کرتے ہوئے چیئرمین سینیٹ صادق سنجرانی نے حکومت کو ووٹ دیا۔
جبکہ ووٹنگ کے اس اہم مرحلے کے دوران عوامی نیشنل پارٹی کے سینیٹر عمر فاروق کاسی اپنی نشست سے اُٹھ کر باہر چلے گئے۔ جس کے بعد ووٹنگ مکمل ہوگئی اور اپوزیشن بھاری اکثریت ہونے کے باوجود سٹیٹ بینک ترمیمی بِل کو منظور ہونے سے نہ روک سکی۔
مصطفی نواز کھوکھر

،تصویر کا ذریعہSENATE​
،تصویر کا کیپشن
سینیٹ میں اپوزیشن لیڈر یوسف رضا گیلانی کی غیر حاضری پر ان کے ہم جماعت مصطفی نواز کھوکھر نے کہا کہ 'یوسف رضا صاحب اپوزیشن لیڈر ہیں۔ میرے خیال میں ان کو سینیٹ میں ہونا چاہیے تھا‘​

'اپوزیشن کے بیانیے میں یہ قومی سلامتی کا مسئلہ تھا، نجی کاموں سے بہت اہم تھا'​

یوسف رضا گیلانی کی غیر حاضری پر بات کرتے ہوئے مصطفی نواز کھوکھر نے کہا کہ 'یوسف رضا صاحب اپوزیشن لیڈر ہیں۔ میرے خیال میں ان کو سینیٹ میں ہونا چاہیے تھا۔ نجی مصروفیات ان کی ضرور اہم ہوں گی، لیکن اپوزیشن کے بیانیے میں یہ قومی سلامتی کا ایشو تھا۔ اور اس کے سامنے نجی مصروفیات کوئی معنی نہیں رکھتیں۔'
دیگر جماعتوں کے ارکان کی غیر حاضری پر بات کرتے ہوئے انھوں نے کہا کہ کچھ ارکان کے اہم مسائل تھے۔
’جیسا کہ پی پی پی کے سکندر مھندڑو امریکہ میں کینسر کا علاج کرانے گئے ہوئے ہیں۔ نزہت صادق صاحبہ کو کینیڈا میں کووڈ ہوچکا ہے، مشاہد حسین کو بھی کووڈ ہوچکا ہے۔‘
ان کا کہنا تھا کہ ’اگر ہمارے بندے پورے ہوتے تو ہمیں اس صورتحال کا سامنا نہ کرنا پڑتا۔‘​

’عمران خان اور اپوزیشن میں کوئی فرق نہیں رہ گیا‘​

صحافی حامد میر اس بات سے اتفاق نہیں کرتے اور کہتے ہیں کہ سینیٹ میں جو کچھ ہوا وہ ’سب سوچی سمجھی پلاننگ کے تحت ہوا ہے۔‘
انھوں نے کہا کہ 'اپوزیشن جماعتوں کو اب اس بات کی فکر نہیں رہی کہ وہ اپنا اعتماد کھوچکی ہیں یا نہیں۔ میری نظر میں عمران خان اور اپوزیشن میں کوئی فرق نہیں رہ گیا ہے۔'
یہ بھی پڑھیے
پاکستانی شہروں میں دہشتگردی کے حالیہ واقعات افغانستان میں ٹی ٹی پی پر پُراسرار حملوں کا ردعمل ہیں؟
'بجٹ پہلے سے پاس نہیں ہوچکا، تو پھر یہ مِنی بجٹ کیا ہے؟‘
’پیسے کے بل بوتے پر کامیابی کے خواہشمند‘ بلوچستان کا رخ کیوں کرتے ہیں؟
انسانی حقوق کی کمیٹی حکومتی سرابراہی میں: ’اب متاثرین کی آہوں کے مجرم ہم بھی ہوں گے‘
شیری رحمان

،تصویر کا ذریعہSENATE
28 جنوری کو سینیٹ میں بِل کی منظوری کے دوران حامد میر بھی موجود تھے۔ انھوں نے کہا کہ شیری رحمان ارکان پورے کرنے کی کوشش میں مصروف نظر آئیں اور انھوں نے یوسف رضا گیلانی سے جب رابطہ کیا تو یوسف رضا گیلانی نے انھیں بتایا کہ وہ اس وقت ملتان میں موجود ہیں۔
وہ کہتے ہیں کہ ’پی ڈی ایم کے ٹوٹنے کا پسِ منظر بھی کچھ یوں ہے کہ جہاں دیگر اپوزیشن جماعتیں اسمبلی سے مستعفی ہونا چاہتی تھیں، وہاں پیپلز پارٹی نے ایسا کرنے سے انکار کردیا۔ اب دو مختلف دنوں پر لانگ مارچ ہو رہا ہے۔‘
مولانا فضل الرحمان 23 مارچ کو لانگ مارچ کا اعلان کرچکے ہیں اور پاکستان پیپلز پارٹی کا کہنا ہے کہ وہ 27 مارچ کو لانگ مارچ کرے گی۔
حامد میر کا کہنا ہے کہ ’میری ذاتی رائے یہ ہے کہ بلاول کو یوسف رضا گیلانی کے خلاف لانگ مارچ کرنا چاہیے اور مولانا فضل الرحمان طلحہ محمود کے خلاف لانگ مارچ کریں۔ لوگ اتنے بیوقوف نہیں ہیں جتنا اپوزیشن نے سمجھا ہوا ہے۔'​

'دلاور خان گروپ کو خیر باد کہنے کا وقت آگیا ہے'​

سینیٹ میں اپنے ارکان کی غیر حاضری پر افسوس ظاہر کرنے کے ساتھ ساتھ مصطفی نواز نے کہا کہ اب وقت آگیا ہے کہ دلاور خان گروپ کے بارے میں حتمی فیصلہ کرلیا جائے۔
وہ کہتے ہیں کہ ’ان کو اب باقاعدہ طور پر خیر باد کہنے کا وقت آگیا ہے۔‘
دلاور خان گروپ سے پاکستان پیپلز پارٹی کی وابستگی کا پسِ منظر یہ ہے کہ مارچ 2021 میں پاکستان ڈیموکریٹک موومنٹ یعنی پی ڈی ایم نے یہ فیصلہ کیا تھا کہ سینیٹ انتخاب میں اپوزیشن لیڈر مسلم لیگ نواز چنے گی اور چیئرمین سینیٹ کا الیکشن لڑنے کے لیے یوسف رضا گیلانی کو آگے کیا جائے گا۔
لیکن جب یوسف رضا گیلانی چیئرمین سینیٹ انتخاب ہار گئے اور پیپلز پارٹی کے پاس اپوزیشن لیڈر کے تحت یوسف رضا گیلانی کو منتخب کرنے کے لیے تعداد پوری نہیں تھی، تب پیپلز پارٹی نے دلاور خان گروپ اور بلوچستان عوامی پارٹی کے ارکان سے ووٹ لیے تھے۔
واضح رہے کہ اُس وقت سینیٹ میں اپوزیشن جماعتوں کے ارکان نے یوسف رضا گیلانی کو بطور اپوزیشن لیڈر ووٹ نہیں دیا تھا۔ جس کے لیے پیپلز پارٹی نے دلاور خان گروپ سے تعداد پوری کرنے کے لیے مدد مانگی اور ووٹ حاصل کرنے میں کامیاب ہوگئے۔ اور یوسف رضا گیلانی سینیٹ میں اپوزیشن لیڈر کے طور پر منتخب ہوئے۔
لیکن دلاور خان گروپ نے سٹیٹ بینک بِل کی ووٹنگ کے دوران اپنے چار ووٹ حکومت کو دے دیے، جس کے نتیجے میں اب پاکستان پیپلز پارٹی کے سینیٹر مصطفی کھوکھر ان کو 'خیر باد' کہنے کا سوچ رہے ہیں۔
ایسا پہلی مرتبہ نہیں ہورہا ہے کہ اپوزیشن اپنی اکثریت کا بروقت استعمال نہ کرسکی ہو۔ اس سے پہلے جب چیئرمین سینیٹ صادق سنجرانی کے خلاف عدم اعتماد کے ووٹ کا معاملہ تھا تب بھی اکثریت ہونے کے باوجود اپوزیشن ناکام ہوگئی۔
پھر چیئرمین سینیٹ کے الیکشن کے دوران بھی اپوزیشن اپنی اکثریت کا فائدہ نہ اٹھا سکی۔ فنانشل ایکشن ٹاسک فورس (ایف اے ٹی ایف) کے بِل کی منظوری بھی اسی طرز کا ایک اور معاملہ ہے۔
سٹیٹ بینک آف پاکستان

سٹیٹ بینک ترمیمی بل 2021 کیا ہے؟​

اس بِل کو منظور کرانے کا پسِ منظر یہ ہے کہ نومبر 2021 کو آئی ایم ایف اور پاکستان کے درمیان معاہدہ طے پایا جس کے تحت پاکستان کو ایک ارب ڈالرز دیے جائیں گے۔
واضح رہے کہ اس فنڈ کو حاصل کرنے کے لیے پاکستان کو ان تمام پالیسیوں اور اصلاحات کی تکمیل کرنا پڑے گی جو چھ ارب ڈالرز کے ایکسٹینڈڈ فنڈ فیسلیٹی یعنی ای ایف ایف کے لیے ضروری ہیں۔ اسی لیے حکومت کے لیے ٹیکس کی چھوُٹ ختم کرنا اور بجلی کی قیمتوں میں حکومتی ڈیوٹی کو زیادہ کرنا ضروری ہے۔
ان خصوصی عوامل کی تکمیل میں سٹیٹ بینک آف پاکستان امینڈمنٹ ایکٹ 2021 کا منظور ہونا بھی شامل ہے، جس کے ذریعے موجودہ سٹیٹ بینک آف پاکستان ایکٹ 1956 میں اسمبلی کے ذریعے تبدیلیاں لائی جائیں گی۔
ساتھ ہی پاکستان کو ڈیڑھ ارب ڈالرز کے اُس قرضے کا حساب بھی دینا ہوگا جو پاکستان کو اپریل 2020 میں کووڈ وبا سے بچاؤ کے لیے دیا گیا تھا۔
واضح رہے کے اس فنڈنگ پروگرام کی بنیاد جولائی 2019 میں رکھی گئی تھی، جو 2021 کے شروع میں قانون سازی کی اصلاحات مکمل نہ ہونے کی بنیاد پر آگے نہ بڑھ سکی۔
سٹیٹ بینک آرڈیننس میں ترمیم کا پسِ منظر یہ ہے کہ سٹیٹ بینک کے کردار کو سٹیٹ بینک آف پاکستان ایکٹ 1956 کے تحت واضح کیا گیا تھا۔ اس کے بعد سے اس میں کئی بار تبدیلیاں اور ترامیم کی گئی ہیں۔
ان میں سے چند خاصی واضح تبدیلیاں 1994، 1997، 2012 اور 2015 میں کی گئی ہیں۔ حکومتی ارکان کے مطابق سٹیٹ بینک آف پاکستان امینڈمنٹ ایکٹ 2021 بھی اسی سلسلے کی ایک کڑی ہے تاکہ سٹیٹ بینک کے طریقہ کار میں جدت لائی جائے اور عالمی بینکوں کے اصولوں کے مطابق کام کرسکے۔
اس کو مِنی بجٹ کا نام دراصل اپوزیشن جماعتوں نے ہی دیا ہے۔ وزیر برائے خزانہ شوکت ترین نے اسے حال ہی میں اسمبلی میں پیش کیا اور اس کا نام مالی ضمنی بِل یعنی فنانس سپلمنٹری بِل بتایا۔ لیکن اپوزیشن نے اس بِل کو تنقید کا نشانہ بناتے ہوئے اسے مِنی بجٹ کا نام دیا۔
اس بِل کے تحت پاکستان میں جن اشیا پر ٹیکس کی چھوٹ تھی وہ ہٹا دی جائے گی۔ ایسا کرنے کے پیچھے حکومت یہ منطق بتارہی ہے کہ آئی ایم ایف کا فنڈ حاصل کرنے کے لیے چند اصلاحات کی تکمیل لازمی ہیں جن میں سے ایک ٹیکسوں میں چھوٹ کا خاتمہ ہے۔​

Back
Top Bottom