What's new

Sejong the Great class Guided missile destroyer

Kirov in fact has outdated system, besides its large displacement and large number of oversize missile. I question Kirov effectiveness in nowadays modern naval warfare.

their design is outdated, can't be upgraded efficiently because non-modular fitting

Hi madokafc. :smitten: How are you doing, my lady?

Indonesia could find KDX-IIA to be a suitable flagship for a Indonesian Navy task force since the cost is around 500 to 700 million USD for each KDX-IIA DDG. You might support Indonesia buying KDX-IIA but a fellow Indonesian could argue that its better to use that money to build more Indonesianized Chang Bogo submarines beyond the three that Jakarta has already planned to build or even expand the production quantity of Diponegoro-class corvettes. Whatever Indonesia decides for her naval capability, I am confident that the kimchi people can find a way to help the sambal people fulfill their defence needs.

@modokafc is a lady??o_O I never knew that. :what: Good to know.

It's a great warship indeed. Jeez.......to think how far the Koreans have come, just 5 decades ago they were poorer than sub-Saharan countries like Ivory coast/Cameroon/Gabon etc. Now look at where they are today. Shows that with hard work,dedication and visionary leaders a country can achieve miracles, instead of sitting down their lazy *** and blaming foreign powers for all their ills like some people in many developing countries do. :bounce:
Anyway, good one Korea, hopefully the paranoid communist north will wake up from its delusional commie dreams and embrace globalization/capitalism/open up for their own good/well being.
they are lucky we are not so much.

"God gave you everything. And then, he also gave you Delhi to mess it all up"
- Jim Rogers

Indonesia should go for 4 to 6 Type 45 Destroyers from UK

Well, to be honest, the Type 45 is simply too expensive and advanced for a country like Indonesia to operate. Reason even Britain we built just 6 instead of 13 as planned. lol

It's also for the same reason we are planning to build a new lighter frigate (apart from the Type 26 frigates we will be building as from next year). Maybe Indonesia can look at the type 26 global combat ship. It will be a little bit lighter and cheaper than the type 45.

thank samsung. heres a fact you did not know. samsung accounts for 17% of south korea's entire gdp

hyundai and daewoo are other notible contributions

Doesn't matter, S.Korea is sill the most developed/advanced country in Asia just shy of Japan. :pop::tup:

Last edited:
Well, to be honest, the Type 45 issimply too expensive advanced for a country like Indonesia to operate. Reason we built just 6 instead of 13 as planned. lol

Reason we are planning to build a new lighter frigate (apart from the Type 26 we will be building as from next year). Maybe Indonesia can look at the type 26 global combat ship. It will be a little bit lighter and cheaper than the type 45.

Doesn't matter, S.korea is the most developed/advanced country in Asia just shy of Japan. :pop::tup:

I had tell him, the price will kill the entire Navy Budget

A modernization of Type 23 or F-2000 class is actually being offered by BAE system

they are lucky we are not so much.

"God gave you everything. And then, he also gave you Delhi to mess it all up"
- Jim Rogers

LOOL Nice 1.:D
India at least is growing/developing, though not at the pace many will like, but still you people are at least moving forward, others are instead doing the opposite, one step forward and two step backwards. Yet still blame the west for all their ills.:pop:

A modernization of Type 23 or F-2000 class is actually being offered by BAE system

LOL One Type 45 cost almost $1.5 billion :cheesy:. However its regarded as the most advanced air defence warship in the world, so it also has it's merits. Though i agree it's simply too expensive to build and operate.

As for the Type 23, they are still a very powerful frigates. We still have them in service with our navy as well, though almost all 13 have been upgraded, plus BAE also did the same with the Chilean Navy's 3 type 23 recently. So doing the same with Indonesia wont be a problem i suppose. I never knew BAE was offering the F-2000 class to Indonesia. Got any link sis? I know we sold Malaysia a derivative of the F-2000, and the designs was also used in building other OPV's we sold to Brunei and light frigates to Royal Oman navy, but i didn't know we were offering the same variants to Indonesia as well. If true then it's a good initiative.:cheers:

India at least is growing/developing, though not at the pace many will like, but still you people are at least moving forward, others are instead doing the opposite, one step forward and two step backwards. Yet still blame the west for all their ills.:pop:

LOL One Type 45 cost almost $1.5 billion :cheesy:. However its regarded as the most advanced air defence warship in the world, so it also has it's merits. Though i agree it's simply too expensive to build and operate.

As for the Type 23, they are still a very powerful frigates. We still have them in service with our navy as well, though almost all 13 have been upgraded, plus BAE also did the same with the Chilean Navy's 3 type 23 recently. So doing the same with Indonesia wont be a problem i suppose. I never knew BAE was offering the F-2000 class to Indonesia. Got any link sis? I know we sold Malaysia a derivative of the F-2000, and the designs was also used in building other OPV's we sold to Brunei and light frigates to Royal Oman navy, but i didn't know we were offering the same variants to Indonesia as well. If true then it's a good initiative.:cheers:

is still in talk though

nws44EFB112C01A8A857DCE67DEE1518592.jpg

April 27, 2015
Atase Pertahanan Inggris

the Brunei vessels had been bought by our Navy tough

turkey is desprate to sell their tech to the world. the fd-2000 and the fd-100 are among the many naval products they have to offer.

i heard the saudis were interested in the type 45. they witnessed the launch of one of the ships. but by that time production stopped and they went to france.

Sejong the Great Class / KDX-III Class Destroyer, South Korea

The Sejong the Great Class (Sejongdaewang Class) guided missile destroyers are being developed under the Korean Destroyer eXperimental (KDX) programme of the Republic of Korea Navy (ROKN).

"Sejong the Great Class destroyers are equipped with a combined gas turbine (COGAG) propulsion system."
Three units are being built by Hyundai Heavy Industries and Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering. The destroyer class is also referred to as KDX-III

The lead ship in its class, Sejong the Great (DDG 991), was launched in May 2007. The destroyer was commissioned in December 2008. The second destroyer, Yulgok Yi I (DDG 992), was launched in November 2008 and delivered in September 2010.

The vessel entered service with the ROKN in June 2011. The third destroyer, Seoae Ryu Seong-ryong (DDG 993), was launched in March 2011. It is scheduled for commission in 2012.

KDX-III destroyer design
Apart from the longer hull, the overall design of KDX-III is identical to that of the Arleigh Burke Class destroyer. The KDX-III destroyers are the largest surface warships to carry the Aegis weapon system.

The destroyer has an overall length of 165m, beam of 21m and draft of 6m. The standard displacement of the ship is 7,700t and full load displacement is 10,000t.

The vessel can accommodate more than 300 crew members.

Sejong the Great destroyer missions
Sejong the Great Class destroyers are deployed in conventional naval warfare, anti-submarine warfare and anti-air warfare operations.

The destroyer conducts accurate strikes on the main enemy targets, and can protect mobile and convoy fleets from enemy aircraft and guided missiles.

It also supports the MASOC (Maritime Air Support Operation Centre) which controls all tactical aircraft operating on the sea.

The KDX-III destroyers allow the ROKN to protect Korean waters from air, surface, and subsurface threats.

Command and control
KDX-III destroyers are equipped with the Aegis combat system developed by Lockheed Martin. The Aegis system consists of SPY-1 radar and other components including SPY-1D (V) transmitter and MK 99 fire control system.

The radar acquires and tracks multiple targets such as aircraft and missiles.

This system, integrated with the MK 41 vertical launching system, delivers missiles against multiple threats in different attack scenarios. It can be used as an integrated single ship system and in a ship-to-ship network.

In July 2010, the Sejong the Great (DDG 991) successfully completed the combat system ship qualification trials (CSSQT) at the Pacific Missile Range Facility, off the Hawaiian island of Kauai.

Sejong the Great weapons
The Sejong the Great Class is armed with 16 SSM-700K Hae Sung long-range anti-ship missiles and 32 Hyunmoo III land attack missiles.

Two MK 41 vertical launch systems (VLS), one with 48 cells and another with 32 cells, are fitted forward and aft of the vessel for SM-2 Block IIIB missiles.

The ship point-defence is provided by a single 30mm Goalkeeper close-in weapon system (CIWS) and a RIM-116 rolling airframe missile (RAM) block 1 21-round launcher.

The main gun fitted forward is a 127mm L62 Mk-45 Mod 4 naval gun. The gun can fire at a rate of 16 to 20 rounds a minute for a range of 24km.

The anti-submarine weaponry includes K-ASROC Hong Sahng-uh (Red Shark) anti-submarine rockets (ASROC) and K745 LW Cheong Sahng-uh (Blue Shark) torpedoes.

A total of 16 rockets are fired from the launcher fitted on the aft.

The ASW control software is supplied by Kongsberg Maritime.

Sensors / radars
The AN/SPY-1D multifunction radar and four antenna arrays are housed in a single deck house. The ship is also equipped with AN/SPG-62 I/J band fire control radar, Atlas Elektronik bow-mounted DSQS-21 BZ-M sonar and MTeQ towed array sonar system.

Helicopter system
The KDX-III destroyers have a stern helicopter deck to support the operations of two Westland Lynx Mk 99 ASW helicopters. Hangar facilities are provided for the helicopters.

Propulsion
Sejong the Great Class destroyers are equipped with a combined gas turbine (COGAG) propulsion system.

"The lead ship in its class, Sejong the Great (DDG 991), was launched in May 2007."
Four General Electric LM2500 gas turbines driving the two shafts provide a total power output of 75MW.

The ship systems are powered by three Rolls-Royce AG9140RF gas turbine generator sets. The propulsion system provides a top speed of 30kt and a maximum range of 5,500nm at 20kt.

@mike2000 is back she aint british but she powered by one of our engines

The missile battery of the Sejong the Great class is exceptional. Not even including the 21-cell RAM launcher, or even the 16 Hyunmoo III anti-ship missiles, they carry an incredible 128 missiles in three different VLC launch cell pads (one forward with 48 cells, one aft with 32 cells, and another 48-cell pad aft). This is a much larger stock of missiles than the 96 cells found on the Arleigh Burke class, though it is still second-place to the Kirov class battlecruisers (which have the world's largest missile battery, at 352 missiles).
The variety of missiles carried by the Sejong the Great class is staggering as well. These include the RIM-66M-5/SM-2ER Block IV Standard SSM-700K Haeseong with a range of 240 km, the Hyunmoo IIIB land attack cruise missile with a range of 1 000 km, the SSM-700K Haeseong anti-ship missile with a range of 150 km, the Red Shark (also called the K-ASROC) anti-submarine missile with a 18.5 km range, and the RIM-116B RAM surface to air missile with a range of 7.4 km. The K745 Blue Shark torpedo has an effective range of 18.5 km.

Though only two gun systems are carried, these are also quite formidable. The Mk-45 Mod 4 127-mm/62 dual-purpose gun fires 30.7 kg projectiles at a rate of fire of 20 rounds/minute, with a maximum range of 38.4 km, and is capable of engaging land targets, ships, aircraft, and even missiles. The Goalkeeper 30 mm CIWS fires 0.4 kg projectiles at up to 4 200 rounds/minute, with an effective range of 3 km, and can be used against watercraft as well as aircraft and missiles.

The complete ammunition loadout for the Sejong the Great class includes (but is likely not limited to) 680 127 mm shells, 1 190 30 mm shells, 21 RAM missiles, 6 Blue Shark torpedoes, and 16x SSM-700K Hae Sung missiles. The VLS load-out is variable, but the standard configuration consists of 80 SM-2 Standard missiles, 32 Hyunmoo IIIB missiles, and 16 Red Shark missiles. The loadout for the additional munitions carried by the helicopters is unknown.

In 2012, the ROKN formally made a request to the government for three additional Aegis warships, with an eye toward having them in commission by 2027. If these vessels are authorized, it is likely that they will be additional Sejong the Great class Destroyers, or possibly an evolved version of the design.

The manufacturers retain the ability to construct additional Sejong the Great class, but it is unknown as of late 2015 if any other will be ordered by the ROKN, and very unlikely that KDX-III type vessels would be offered for export, as many of its key technologies are classified and/or barred from further proliferation by the US government.

Barring unforeseen developments, the Sejong the Great class destroyers will remain in service until at least the mid-2030s.

Last edited:
turkey is desprate to sell their tech to the world. the fd200 and the fd-100 are among the many naval products they have to offer.

i heard the saudis were interested in the type 45. they witnessed the launch of one of the ships. but by that time production stopped and they went to france.

usually countries like us will prefer a much mature shipyard with well known reputation is to pursue some ToT on hardware and shipbuilding knowledge and maybe some transfer of knowledge on how to manage a system to handle chain logistic for production.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hmm, the Saudis they usually goes for bling-bling high end products.

I was heard the Israelis once considered to bought hull from South Korean Shipyard but they left the option as they had not much money

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to topic, South Korean actually releases at least two new frigate every year, plus a submarine. Their Shipbuilding capacity is Simply amazing.

sejong_the_great_class_l2.jpg

images

images

why does it have a droped bulbus bow?

usually countries like us will prefer a much mature shipyard with well known reputation is to pursue some ToT on hardware and shipbuilding knowledge and maybe some transfer of knowledge on how to manage a system to handle chain logistic for production.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hmm, the Saudis they usually goes for bling-bling high end products.

I was heard the Israelis once considered to bought hull from South Korean Shipyard but they left the option as they had not much money

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to topic, South Korean actually releases at least two new frigate every year, plus a submarine. Their Shipbuilding capacity is Simply amazing.
well indoneasia and south korea enjoy good relations in terms of defence trade as they are selling you subs trainers/light attack and lpd's
israel was interested in the (1400+ tonne) incheon frigate at $100 million each . but this deal/negoation has expired as germany is building frigates for them to protect israeli oil feilds

turkey is desprate to sell their tech to the world. the fd200 and the fd-100 are among the many naval products they have to offer.

Sejong the Great Class / KDX-III Class Destroyer, South Korea

The Sejong the Great Class (Sejongdaewang Class) guided missile destroyers are being developed under the Korean Destroyer eXperimental (KDX) programme of the Republic of Korea Navy (ROKN).

"Sejong the Great Class destroyers are equipped with a combined gas turbine (COGAG) propulsion system."
Three units are being built by Hyundai Heavy Industries and Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering. The destroyer class is also referred to as KDX-III

The lead ship in its class, Sejong the Great (DDG 991), was launched in May 2007. The destroyer was commissioned in December 2008. The second destroyer, Yulgok Yi I (DDG 992), was launched in November 2008 and delivered in September 2010.

The vessel entered service with the ROKN in June 2011. The third destroyer, Seoae Ryu Seong-ryong (DDG 993), was launched in March 2011. It is scheduled for commission in 2012.

KDX-III destroyer design
Apart from the longer hull, the overall design of KDX-III is identical to that of the Arleigh Burke Class destroyer. The KDX-III destroyers are the largest surface warships to carry the Aegis weapon system.

The destroyer has an overall length of 165m, beam of 21m and draft of 6m. The standard displacement of the ship is 7,700t and full load displacement is 10,000t.

The vessel can accommodate more than 300 crew members.

Sejong the Great destroyer missions
Sejong the Great Class destroyers are deployed in conventional naval warfare, anti-submarine warfare and anti-air warfare operations.

The destroyer conducts accurate strikes on the main enemy targets, and can protect mobile and convoy fleets from enemy aircraft and guided missiles.

It also supports the MASOC (Maritime Air Support Operation Centre) which controls all tactical aircraft operating on the sea.

The KDX-III destroyers allow the ROKN to protect Korean waters from air, surface, and subsurface threats.

Command and control
KDX-III destroyers are equipped with the Aegis combat system developed by Lockheed Martin. The Aegis system consists of SPY-1 radar and other components including SPY-1D (V) transmitter and MK 99 fire control system.

The radar acquires and tracks multiple targets such as aircraft and missiles.

This system, integrated with the MK 41 vertical launching system, delivers missiles against multiple threats in different attack scenarios. It can be used as an integrated single ship system and in a ship-to-ship network.

In July 2010, the Sejong the Great (DDG 991) successfully completed the combat system ship qualification trials (CSSQT) at the Pacific Missile Range Facility, off the Hawaiian island of Kauai.

Sejong the Great weapons
The Sejong the Great Class is armed with 16 SSM-700K Hae Sung long-range anti-ship missiles and 32 Hyunmoo III land attack missiles.

Two MK 41 vertical launch systems (VLS), one with 48 cells and another with 32 cells, are fitted forward and aft of the vessel for SM-2 Block IIIB missiles.

The ship point-defence is provided by a single 30mm Goalkeeper close-in weapon system (CIWS) and a RIM-116 rolling airframe missile (RAM) block 1 21-round launcher.

The main gun fitted forward is a 127mm L62 Mk-45 Mod 4 naval gun. The gun can fire at a rate of 16 to 20 rounds a minute for a range of 24km.

The anti-submarine weaponry includes K-ASROC Hong Sahng-uh (Red Shark) anti-submarine rockets (ASROC) and K745 LW Cheong Sahng-uh (Blue Shark) torpedoes.

A total of 16 rockets are fired from the launcher fitted on the aft.

The ASW control software is supplied by Kongsberg Maritime.

Sensors / radars
The AN/SPY-1D multifunction radar and four antenna arrays are housed in a single deck house. The ship is also equipped with AN/SPG-62 I/J band fire control radar, Atlas Elektronik bow-mounted DSQS-21 BZ-M sonar and MTeQ towed array sonar system.

Helicopter system
The KDX-III destroyers have a stern helicopter deck to support the operations of two Westland Lynx Mk 99 ASW helicopters. Hangar facilities are provided for the helicopters.

Propulsion
Sejong the Great Class destroyers are equipped with a combined gas turbine (COGAG) propulsion system.

"The lead ship in its class, Sejong the Great (DDG 991), was launched in May 2007."
Four General Electric LM2500 gas turbines driving the two shafts provide a total power output of 75MW.

The ship systems are powered by three Rolls-Royce AG9140RF gas turbine generator sets. The propulsion system provides a top speed of 30kt and a maximum range of 5,500nm at 20kt.

@mike2000 is back she aint british but she powered by one of our engines

The missile battery of the Sejong the Great class is exceptional. Not even including the 21-cell RAM launcher, or even the 16 Hyunmoo III anti-ship missiles, they carry an incredible 128 missiles in three different VLC launch cell pads (one forward with 48 cells, one aft with 32 cells, and another 48-cell pad aft). This is a much larger stock of missiles than the 96 cells found on the Arleigh Burke class, though it is still second-place to the Kirov class battlecruisers (which have the world's largest missile battery, at 352 missiles).
The variety of missiles carried by the Sejong the Great class is staggering as well. These include the RIM-66M-5/SM-2ER Block IV Standard SSM-700K Haeseong with a range of 240 km, the Hyunmoo IIIB land attack cruise missile with a range of 1 000 km, the SSM-700K Haeseong anti-ship missile with a range of 150 km, the Red Shark (also called the K-ASROC) anti-submarine missile with a 18.5 km range, and the RIM-116B RAM surface to air missile with a range of 7.4 km. The K745 Blue Shark torpedo has an effective range of 18.5 km.

Though only two gun systems are carried, these are also quite formidable. The Mk-45 Mod 4 127-mm/62 dual-purpose gun fires 30.7 kg projectiles at a rate of fire of 20 rounds/minute, with a maximum range of 38.4 km, and is capable of engaging land targets, ships, aircraft, and even missiles. The Goalkeeper 30 mm CIWS fires 0.4 kg projectiles at up to 4 200 rounds/minute, with an effective range of 3 km, and can be used against watercraft as well as aircraft and missiles.

The complete ammunition loadout for the Sejong the Great class includes (but is likely not limited to) 680 127 mm shells, 1 190 30 mm shells, 21 RAM missiles, 6 Blue Shark torpedoes, and 16x SSM-700K Hae Sung missiles. The VLS load-out is variable, but the standard configuration consists of 80 SM-2 Standard missiles, 32 Hyunmoo IIIB missiles, and 16 Red Shark missiles. The loadout for the additional munitions carried by the helicopters is unknown.

In 2012, the ROKN formally made a request to the government for three additional Aegis warships, with an eye toward having them in commission by 2027. If these vessels are authorized, it is likely that they will be additional Sejong the Great class Destroyers, or possibly an evolved version of the design.

The manufacturers retain the ability to construct additional Sejong the Great class, but it is unknown as of late 2015 if any other will be ordered by the ROKN, and very unlikely that KDX-III type vessels would be offered for export, as many of its key technologies are classified and/or barred from further proliferation by the US government.

Barring unforeseen developments, the Sejong the Great class destroyers will remain in service until at least the mid-2030s.

Fd200? Fd-100? I think you confused the names?

As with any Arleigh Burke DDG and derivatives, that is where the bow sonar array lives. (AN/SQQ-89)

PUB_DDG-51_Modernization_Features_lg.gif
i know the sonar is there but why so big? the type 45 does not have a bulbus bow that big yet it has a MFS-7000 sonar
The_Launch_of_Type_45_Destroyer_HMS_Dragon_MOD_45149875.jpg

Back
Top Bottom