What's new

Saving Lahore's Architectural Heritage.

I visited the area, the project is managed by Kamran Lashari...

however I noticed that balconies are not repaired or restored but replaced by simply modern style replicas.. it seems okay but it doesnot give you the aura of heritage...

plus so much liter on the streets... had darga gandagi thi..., so a must is cleaning system for the walled city, efficient one...

Walled city used to be very clean, and I think there is deliberate effort to spread litter so that locals leave the town and the outsider continue to occupy the precious land...

1235386_548446808542247_338661026_n.jpg

everyone follow the official page of WCLA

https://www.facebook.com/walledcitylahore

I visited the area, the project is managed by Kamran Lashari...

however I noticed that balconies are not repaired or restored but replaced by simply modern style replicas.. it seems okay but it doesnot give you the aura of heritage...

plus so much liter on the streets... had darga gandagi thi..., so a must is cleaning system for the walled city, efficient one...

Walled city used to be very clean, and I think there is deliberate effort to spread litter so that locals leave the town and the outsider continue to occupy the precious land...

Yes some are very cheap replicas. The reason is simply due to lack of funds.

There is litter because there is no waste management system. As you can see the pics in page 1, the work is in process to underground power and sewage lines.

The other problem is personal hygiene. This is the problem of our own people and many just don't care.

Anyhow here are some pics of The Lahore Waste Management Company and Volunteers trying their best.

970537_514973651884510_332114168_n.jpg

246829_190516310996914_3567980_n.jpg

602970_514973548551187_769944559_n.jpg

10362_514986685216540_1540134483_n.jpg

197511_421097404605469_672973083_n.jpg

In my view they need to do this more frequently in the alleys/galis...

Yes some are very cheap replicas. The reason is simply due to lack of funds.

There is litter because there is no waste management system. As you can see the pics in page 1, the work is in process to underground power and sewage lines.

The other problem is personal hygiene. This is the problem of our own people and many just don't care.

Anyhow here are some pics of The Lahore Waste Management Company and Volunteers trying their best.

In my view they need to do this more frequently in the alleys/galis...

just about 2 decades ago when we lived there, there was hardly any litter and stuff on streets, but now its disgustingly dirty everywhere, and it has got nothing to do with the project.... its just plain litter spread by people... and I saw unknown faces and languages spoken that my hears dont know, I couldnt get time to discuss for details, but I am sure too many outsiders are polluting the walled city on purpose..

I think once the LG is in place, daily life might improve.

the facebook page is sharing pictures taken by the photographers at the photo walk !

now imagine if this balcony be restored to its original glory... eagerly waiting to see that happen !!

This i thought was in Walled City. But it turns out its actually in Anarkali. Although the British, Sikhs, and many of our own locals destroyed historic sites, I still feel Lahore is standing rich.

P.S Some renovations are going on in Mall Road as well. I think i would consider posting it here and ask @Aeronaut to change the title to 'Saving Lahore's Heritage '

Last edited by a moderator:
This i thought was in Walled City. But it turns out its actually in Anarkali. Although the British, Sikhs, and many of our own locals destroyed historic sites, I still feel Lahore standing rich.

P.S Some renovations are going on in Mall Road as well. I think i would consider posting it here and ask the mods to change the title to 'Saving Original Lahore'

the WCLA doesnot only have jurisdiction in walled city but throughout Lahore to any building that it declare heritage, they even came after our family's haveli, a week ago, unfortunately we lost it in 1970s due to inheritance divisions, just an outer wall left in the street, upon which a house is constructed,there is too much encroachments that they dropped the idea to work on it. but they also served notice of "not to sell or amend" to some other building owners which were established in 50s. and all our area is not under Walled city, so clearly the project laws allow them to dig any historic building and declare it a heritage.

yes buildings on mall road have been worked upon, and they look fantastic... just some clouds and rain, and it sure looks like a road in london..

another great aspect of the walled city restoration project is underground wiring... so it would clean and nice aura with no polls and no wires..

nice to see this progress
please stop wall chalking

the govt has contacted some paint company, walls throughout the city will be painted with fascinating art work to prevent wall chalking !

Back
Top Bottom