What's new

Saudi Arabia puts restrictions on usage of loudspeakers in mosques

Leaving empty rhetoric aside, can those who have a problem with the Saudi ruling explain explicitly why they are against it?

MashaAllah, why should Muslims hear the sound of the Quran in a Muslim country.
Brother: There is a proper and respectful way of listening to Quran. As Quran says when its being recited pay attention to it, which also means if you are not paying attention then don’t play it as a background noise only. Playing it on loudspeaker on streets is counter to that rule as well - as people outside are not paying attention to it and are not required to as well. Even if you see the lives of Sahaba, only the Adhan or call to prayer was called out loudly and the recitation in namaz was loud enough for the ones praying behind only. Unless you have a large Jamaa then you may definitely play it louder so ones praying outside can listen properly. This is just my humble and amateur opinion - Allah knows best.

Brother: There is a proper and respectful way of listening to Quran. As Quran says when its being recited pay attention to it, which also means if you are not paying attention then don’t play it as a background noise only. Playing it on loudspeaker on streets is counter to that rule as well - as people outside are not paying attention to it and are not required to as well. Even if you see the lives of Sahaba, only the Adhan or call to prayer was called out loudly and the recitation in namaz was loud enough for the ones praying behind only. Unless you have a large Jamaa then you may definitely play it louder so ones praying outside can listen properly. This is just my humble and amateur opinion - Allah knows best.

I think you are right. My first reaction was knee jerk.

As someone who only holiday's in a Muslim country its nice to hear azaan all the time, but I remember how it can be annoying when at fajr time or isha time you have multiple azaan followed by long tilawat. For people with very young children this can be a problem.

I think you are right. My first reaction was knee jerk.

As someone who only holiday's in a Muslim country its nice to hear azaan all the time, but I remember how it can be annoying when at fajr time or isha time you have multiple azaan followed by long tilawat. For people with very young children this can be a problem.

Add to that the fact that as per Islamic teachings, principles, and basic human decency, if any practice, be it religious or otherwise, poses any direct harm to anyone then you are not allowed to do it. We can't shove what we want and/or like down others' throats, be they Muslims or not. There are the ill, elderly, and infants trying to sleep when a tone deaf molvi decides to throw an impromptu jamming session in the middle of the night at the highest decibel available to him. Why does he need to? What purpose is it serving? Azan through the loudspeaker is out of practical necessity not religious duty, most of the rest is neither. Multiple mo'azzins in the same neighborhood deliberately reciting azan at different timings for personal vanity is pathetic.

Fun fact: When the loudspeaker first arrived, most molvis forbade its use for Azan. Then they allowed it only if there was a second azan without it. Actual scholars had to convince them into its use.

Last edited:
Neither would I support this move or be against it.

Reasons for supporting :

- Quran being recited loud while people are talking, Listening to music and all, It is humiliating to the Great and Wise words of The God.

Reasons for against :

- Many people have converted to Islam just because of the beauty of Tilawat on loud speakers.

Add to that the fact that as per Islamic teachings, principles, and basic human decency, if any practice, be it religious or otherwise, poses any direct harm to anyone then you are not allowed to do it. We can't shove what we want and/or like down others' throats, be they Muslims or not. There are the ill, elderly, and infants trying to sleep when a tone deaf molvi decides to throw an impromptu jamming session in the middle of the night at the highest decibel available to him. Why does he need to? What purpose is it serving? Azan through the loudspeaker is out of practical necessity not religious duty, most of the rest is neither. Multiple mo'azzins in the same neighborhood deliberately reciting azan at different timings for personal vanity is pathetic.

Fun fact: When the loudspeaker first arrived, most molvis forbade its use for Azan. Then they allowed it only if there was a second azan without it. Actual scholars had to convince them into its use.

Although your views on most issues are same as mine, still can I call you my PDF Moderator Bitch

I am pleasantly surprised by the replies in this thread :D

I did read into this whole thing and it is NOT a ban they are asking for. Just choosing when to use the speakers and to lower the volume to an acceptable and humane setting

Riyadh: The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia on Monday issued a circular imposing restriction on the use of external loudspeakers in mosques. The circular issued by the minister of Islamic affairs, Sheikh Dr Abullatif Bin Abdulaziz Al-Sheikh, asked the mosques to only use the loudspeakers for Azaan (call for prayer) and iqamat (the second call for the congregational prayer), local media reported.

According to the circular the use of loudspeakers during prayer is limited to inside the mosque and the level of loudness should not exceed one-third of the level of the loudspeaker device, and warning against applying penalties to those who violate it.

As per media reports, the ministry relied upon Sharia evidence and rules, which fall under the rule of “no harm or harm”, in addition to the fatwa of Sheikh Muhammad bin Saleh Al-Uthaymeen and Saleh bin Fawzan Al-Fawzan, not to use external amplifiers for usage other than the call to prayer.

This harms patients, old people, and children in the houses in the vicinity of the mosques.

In addition, the ministry clarified that communicating the imam’s voice in prayer is specific to those inside the mosque, and there is no legitimate need to convey it to those in the home. “In addition to the fact that reading the Quran on external amplifiers is disrespectful to the Quran when it is recited loudly using external loudspeakers, while no one is listening to and pondering on its verses,” said to the circular.

This is not the first time that the Saudi ministry has talked about loudspeakers in mosques in the country, as the minister of Islamic affairs had previously asked mosques to reduce the loudspeakers in mosques, during the month of Ramadan in 2019.

In a video released by the ministry in April of 2019, the Saudi minister called on imams and muezzins to “be kind to worshipers in their mosques and neighborhoods by reducing voices that harm people.”

Same should apply in Pakistan. Only Azan should be called on speaker with volume control. All the other activities should be on internal speakers.

where i live u will find a mosque almost in every street and use of loudspeakers by them turns azaan into a noise . log kehtay hain k duniya main sub say zeada souni janay wali avaaz azaan ke hai mai kheta hoon duniya main sub say zeada unsoni ignored kar denay wali avaaz azaan hai jo log soun kar beh nahe sountay .

loading-sticker__0762400304607597.png

Shia Arabia loading ...

Back
Top Bottom