What's new

Saudi Arabia launches mega Red Sea tourism project

Related to post 10 and video number 3 in post 10 in this thread:

On topic:

BTW it should be highlighted that this is in Hijaz. Thank you very much.

Great news for the Kingdom of Hijaz.
I think KSA should invested in the natural areas and archeological sites for long time ago

Saudi Arabia Builds Cities in the Sand to Move Beyond Oil
By
Sarah Algethami

6. august 2017 23.00 CEST 7. august 2017 10.03 CEST
  • Kingdom is developing economic and entertainment hubs
  • Developments aim to create jobs and boost investment
After relying on oil to fuel its economy for more than half a century, Saudi Arabia is turning to its other abundant natural resource to take it beyond the oil age -- desert. The kingdom is converting thousands of square kilometers of sand into new cities as it seeks to diversify away from crude, create jobs and boost investment.

In the past month alone, the world’s biggest oil exporter has announced two major developments -- one covering an area bigger than Belgium and another almost the size of Moscow. That’s on top of plans to build a series of so-called economic cities -- special zones in logistics, tourism, industry and finance, an entertainment city and a $10 billion financial district.

800x-1.png

“The overall progress with the economic cities has been very slow, even before the collapse of the oil price,” said Monica Malik, chief economist at Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank PJSC. “Since then, the pace of development has moderated even further with a number of projects being placed on hold.”

When “Saudi Vision 2030” was announced last April, the 84-page blueprint said the government would work to “salvage” and “revamp” economic city projects executed over the past decade that “did not realize their potential.”

Here’s a look at some of Saudi Arabia’s most ambitious projects:

The Red Sea
The kingdom last week announced plans to turn 50 islands and 34,000 square kilometers (13,127 square miles) -- an area bigger than Belgium -- along its Red Sea coastline into a global tourism destination. Located between the cities of Umluj and Al Wahj, the project aims to attract luxury travelers from around the world and will be developed by the Public Investment Fund, the country’s sovereign wealth fund. Construction is expected to start in 2019 and the first phase completed by 2022. The development cost of the project wasn’t given.

Visitors will have access to the ancient ruins at Mada’in Saleh, a relic of the same ancient civilization that built the city of Petra in Jordan. A promotional video for the project with dramatic music showcases white sand beaches and flocks of birds soaring over turquoise waves.

Bringing sun-seekers to Saudi beaches could transform a tourism industry that relies almost solely on Muslim pilgrims visiting holy shrines in Mecca and Medina. The country’s restrictions on alcohol and dress, however, could make it a hard sell for foreign tourists. The government will need to “get through the cultural and legal hurdles,” said Crispin Hawes, London-based managing director at Teneo Intelligence. “If you can’t change restrictions on alcohol and dress, that market effectively disappears.”

800x-1.jpg

Mada’in Saleh

Photographer: Vivian Nereim/Bloomberg
Al Faisaliyah
The kingdom announced detailed plans for the Al Faisaliyah project last month. Located to the west of Mecca, the city will have residential units, entertainment facilities, an airport and sea port. The project will cover 2,450 square kilometers -- almost the size of Moscow -- and is expected to be completed by 2050. The Makkah Region Development Authority is supervising the project and the PIF is also involved. An investment figure hasn’t been given.

Entertainment City
Saudi Arabia in April announced plans to develop the kingdom’s largest cultural, sports and entertainment city in Al Qidiya, southwest of Riyadh. The project will be developed on 334 square kilometers and will include a safari area and a Six Flags Entertainment Corp. theme park. The country’s sovereign fund is the main investor, along with local and international investors. Construction is due to start next year and the first phase should be completed by 2022. An investment figure was not given.

As part of plans to overhaul its economy, the government is relaxing the rules on entertainment in the ultra-conservative society. Concerts, dance shows and film screenings have drawn thousands of people over the past year. By 2030, the kingdom aims to double household spending on recreation to 6 percent.

“While the current authorities seem to be committed to open up the country to forms of entertainment previously banned, a big test will be the reaction of the more conservative parts of the Saudi society which have already shown great reservations toward the newly founded Entertainment Authority as reflected through social media widespread criticisms,” said Philippe Dauba-Pantanacce, a London-based senior economist and geopolitical strategist at Standard Chartered Bank.

King Abdullah Economic City
KAEC, named after the former head of state, is the kingdom’s first freehold city and is being developed by Emaar Economic City, a company controlled by the Saudi government and Dubai’s biggest property developer Emaar Properties PJSC. Covering about the same area as Brussels, the project has attracted $7.9 billion of investment and secured enough cash and credit to fund its planned spending for the next decade, according to KAEC. The project includes a deep-sea port, a 55 square-kilometer logistics hub, a sports and recreation center and more than 6,500 residential properties.

King Abdullah Financial District
KAFD, as it’s known, was envisaged as Saudi Arabia’s answer to the Dubai International Financial Centre, bringing banks, financial-services firms, auditors and lawyers, as well as the kingdom’s stock exchange and capital-market authority into one area. The project, north of Riyadh, has been slowed by construction delays since work began in 2006 and is more than 70 percent complete. As of last April, not a single financial institution had agreed to take space in the 73 buildings the state is constructing, said Waleed Aleisa, chief executive officer and project manager of the district at developer Al Ra’idah.

The 1.6 square-kilometer district is owned by the Saudi Public Pension Agency and the government is looking at ways to lure banks with incentives that could include tax breaks lasting a decade or more, as well as separate regulation that makes it easier to hire and issue work visas, Aleisa said. Five buildings at the district’s core will be surrounded by dozens of offices, apartments, hotels, conference centers and entertainment venues. On the ground, walkways below street level branch out to connect buildings and provide space that’s 8 degrees Celsius cooler than street level.

Knowledge Economic City
The most important market news of the day.
Get our markets daily newsletter.

Saudi Arabia’s first so-called smart city development, the city in Medina will focus on intellectual property, knowledge-based industries, medical, hospitality, tourism and multi-media. It will also have serviced apartments, a hotel and conference facilities, according to the Economic Cities Authority website. Residents of the city, which will cover 4.8 square kilometers, will have access to Mecca and Jeddah via the Haramain High Speed Railway. KEC was listed on the Saudi stock exchange in 2010 after raising about $270 million.

Prince Abdulaziz bin Mousaed Economic City
This is a mixed-use development located on 156 square kilometers of land in Hail in the north of the kingdom. As well as a residential area, the city will also have an international airport, hotels, shopping centers and entertainment venues.

— With assistance by Samuel Dodge

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...s-cities-in-the-sand-to-take-economy-past-oil

Correction, first, in 30 years +. Thanks to 1 stupid fatwa from the blind Ibn Baaz.

USA Today is trolling heavily.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...omen-wear-bikinis-new-beach-resort/538407001/

Nice little Twitter:

https://twitter.com/TheRedSeaSA?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/08/04/saudi-arabia-allow-women-wear-bikinis-new-beach-resort/538407001/

I hope that those upcoming resorts will especially invite female Otaibah members.:D

This will end badly.:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
No thx I'm not going to visit a place that forces me to cover my hair and won't let me wear shorts and tees.

No thx I'm not going to visit a place that forces me to cover my hair and won't let me wear shorts and tees.

You obviously did not bother to read the articles posted in this thread. What you raised won't be a dilemma as it won't be relevant due to such laws not being in place.

BTW, rest assured that millions upon millions of tourists will. KSA despite no real tourism sector and one of the harshest visa rules in the world, is the 18th most visited country (out of almost 200 sovereign nations) in the world.

Once when spectacular areas of KSA such as this one will be opened up for tourism this position will be further strengthened alongside with world class infrastructure, investments etc. in the tourism sector across the entire country (the size of Western Europe). Simultaneously necessary political and social reforms will occur, helping this process along the way.

Add to that the Hajj and Umrah which is an ever-growing business that is well and alive all year round, non-stop.

http%3A%2F%2Fi2.cdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F170803170721-saudi-arabia-red-sea-luxury-resorts-project-fish.jpg

INSIDE THE MIDDLE EAST
Saudi Arabia launches luxury Red Sea beach resorts plan

http://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/saudi-arabia-red-sea-project/index.html

How 125 miles of coastline could add $4 billion and 35,000 jobs to Saudi Arabia’s economy
  • Saudi Arabia unveils 13,000 square mile tourism project as part of Vision 2030.
  • The development spans 50 untouched islands in the Red Sea.
  • Once completed, it is expected to create 35,000 jobs and add $4 billion to the economy per year.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/02/saudi-arabia-red-sea-tourism-project-4-billion-economy.html

Simultaneously necessary political and social reforms will occur, helping this process along the way.

That's really good to hear, I have always felt that slow gradual reform is more meaningful and everlasting than radical flashy revolutions that prove to be short lived and disappear after causing chaos. Prayers and best wishes for the Saudis and all of GCC.:tup:

The Red Sea
The kingdom last week announced plans to turn 50 islands and 34,000 square kilometers (13,127 square miles) -- an area bigger than Belgium -- along its Red Sea coastline into a global tourism destination. Located between the cities of Umluj and Al Wahj, the project aims to attract luxury travelers from around the world and will be developed by the Public Investment Fund, the country’s sovereign wealth fund. Construction is expected to start in 2019 and the first phase completed by 2022. The development cost of the project wasn’t given.

Visitors will have access to the ancient ruins at Mada’in Saleh, a relic of the same ancient civilization that built the city of Petra in Jordan. A promotional video for the project with dramatic music showcases white sand beaches and flocks of birds soaring over turquoise waves.

Bringing sun-seekers to Saudi beaches could transform a tourism industry that relies almost solely on Muslim pilgrims visiting holy shrines in Mecca and Medina. The country’s restrictions on alcohol and dress, however, could make it a hard sell for foreign tourists. The government will need to “get through the cultural and legal hurdles,” said Crispin Hawes, London-based managing director at Teneo Intelligence. “If you can’t change restrictions on alcohol and dress, that market effectively disappears.”
I hope that those upcoming resorts will especially invite female Otaibah members.:D

This will end badly.:lol:
There is a possibility for private resorts and beaches accessible only to tourists and a bit far away from common view..but then feasibility studies should be conducted to see if it is worth it economically or not..also if it is worth it..only non-Muslims will handle the whole private resorts and beaches from importing Alcohol to managing the sites.... all of this if it is really worth the effort and will bring in billions of $ annually..

There is a possibility for private resorts and beaches accessible only to tourists and a bit far away from common view..but then feasibility studies should be conducted to see if it is worth it economically or not..also if it is worth it..only non-Muslims will handle the whole private resorts and beaches from importing Alcohol to managing the sites.... all of this if it is really worth the effort and will bring in billions of $ annually..

Indeed. I think that KSA does not have to look far for inspiration as the immediate region should be enough. I am here thinking about the likes of neighboring Egypt, Oman, UAE, Jordan and similar countries.

When we are talking about a "tourist site" potentially the size of Belgium (!) there can be a lot of versions. I imagine that numerous resorts (luxurious included) can be built to cater for Western/non-traditional Muslims while otherwise the area could be used for mainly local and non-local "Muslim-friendly" tourists.

Seeing that this area of Hijaz is fairly close (for KSA standards of what is geographically "close") to Makkah, Madinah, Jeddah etc. it is easy to imagine that millions of potential religious tourists performing Hajj or Umrah would want to visit for a few days or weeks. After all currently they have no such opportunity to travel across KSA due to visa restrictions and the current rules in place.

I don't expect an Ibiza nor do I frankly want anything like that (I doubt that many truly want that - even the "liberals") but a middle ground should fairly easily be found seeing where the country is heading and that this tourist area won't be completed anytime soon.

That's really good to hear, I have always felt that slow gradual reform is more meaningful and everlasting than radical flashy revolutions that prove to be short lived and disappear after causing chaos. Prayers and best wishes for the Saudis and all of GCC.:tup:

It's a given that Pakistanis will be frequent guests whether expats, religious tourists (Hajj and Umrah) or simply tourists curious to see KSA and the neighborhood. It's after all not too far away.

Thanks for the well wishes. We are looking forward to something similar emerging in Pakistan one day. I am sure that many Saudi Arabians and other Arabs would love to visit in such a case.

It's a given that Pakistanis will be frequent guests whether expats, religious tourists (Hajj and Umrah) or simply tourists curious to see KSA and the neighborhood. It's after all not too far away.

Thanks for the well wishes. We are looking forward to something similar emerging in Pakistan one day. I am sure that many Saudi Arabians and other Arabs would love to visit in such a case.

Honestly I've been really awed since I saw that old thread on the natural beauty, coast etc few years ago in Saudi Arabia. Definitely after Hajj, I need to go around and see some of those places. InshAllah!

You are very fortunate to live in such a beautiful country.

Richard Branson to invest in Saudi Red Sea project
AFP | Published — Monday 2 October 2017

1005021-996561469.jpg

JEDDAH: Virgin airlines founder Richard Branson will invest in a Red Sea project that aims to turn 50 Saudi Arabian islands into luxury tourism destinations, the Saudi government announced on Sunday.
Branson is the first international investor to commit to the project, Saudi Arabia’s information ministry said, in what officials called “a clear sign that Saudi Arabia is opening its doors to international tourism.”
Branson also visited the tombs at Madain Saleh — an UNESCO World Heritage site located near a string of new hotels — in a trip to the Gulf kingdom that appears to be aimed at attracting further international attention, both investment and tourism.
“This is an incredibly exciting time in the country’s history and I’ve always felt that there’s nothing like getting a firsthand impression,” Branson said in a statement released by the information ministry.
The scheme aims to pull the region’s biggest economy out of its dependence on oil and diversify the country’s economic revenue model.
On August 1, Saudi Arabia announced plans to turn 34,000 square kilometers (13,127 square miles) of its Red Sea coastline into luxury resorts.
The project is aimed at attracting international tourists to a country where alcohol is prohibited and the mobility and dress of women restricted.
The Saudi Public Investment Fund, which is headed by Prince Mohammed, will provide the initial investment into the Red Sea project, with construction slated to start in 2019.
The Red Sea project is expected to generate 35,000 jobs, according to the Saudi government.

http://www.arabnews.com/node/1170636/saudi-arabia

Cool.

You don't need to cover your hair in KSA. You however will need to wear an abaya or similarly descent clothing when in public. Many people do not know this but seeing uncovered women (locals included) in places like Jeddah (second biggest city in KSA) is not that rare. If you don't believe me, you can do some research on your own. However most locals will wear either a hijab or a niqab when out in public. In the lesser conservative areas the likes of Filipino expat women (great community BTW) are hardly ever wearing any headscarf when out in public (malls, markets etc.). A bit of off-topic information but it never hurts.

I am taking about 20 years ago. I don't think there was any boat service from Shuwaiq back then.But this post reminded me what i thought back then. The crystal clear water , varity of fish, corals and wild clean beaches. I an using th word, wild because back hen that area was wild, and without population. Beaches were empty and without any pollution and garbage.
Back then I thought why KSA is not promoting the area as tourist spot.
Good to see its happening now.

Back
Top Bottom