What's new

Saudi Arabia, India see growth in ties

Adnan Faruqi

BANNED
Reaction score
Saudi Arabia, India see growth in ties

New Delhi: Last week, Saudi Arabia deported an Indian accused of involvement in the terrorist attacks in Mumbai in 2008 that killed 166 people, including six Americans. At the same time, news came that Riyadh is likely to deport another accused terrorist to India in the next few weeks.

The shift in Saudi policy toward India is part of the kingdom’s broader foreign policy makeover since the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the United States, analysts say.

“This deportation is really a first, and it signals Saudi Arabia’s changing attitude toward India as much as it also signals the internal changes in Saudi society,” said K.C. Singh, a former Indian diplomat.

“It coincides with India aligning itself with American interests and India’s cautious distancing from Iran.” Saudi Arabia also gives India a gateway to the entire Arab region, where it has little influence, compared with Pakistan.

Article continues below

But the recent warmth and the deportation do not mean that Riyadh has turned away from Pakistan entirely, officials said. “It doesn’t have implications for interstate relations between Pakistan and Saudi Arabia,” said Ali Sarwar Naqvi, a former Pakistani diplomat who heads the Center for International Strategic Studies in Islamabad, Pakistan’s capital. “It is not meant to cause embarrassment to Pakistan.”

Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia can assist India in its quest for energy in the region, improve its access to trading partners and help it address radicalism among Indian Muslims who migrate to the Middle East for lucrative work.

The handover last week of Sayed Zabiuddin Ansari is deeply embarrassing for Pakistan because the evidence in his case points to the involvement of the Pakistani state in the Mumbai attacks, Indian officials said.

On Thursday, Islamabad denied the charge. Investigators said it was Zabiuddin’s voice that was heard from a control room in Pakistan guiding the 10 gunmen in Mumbai as they went about shooting people at a cafe, two five-star hotels, a train station and a Jewish prayer centre.

The FBI helped intercept the calls, officials said. Zabiuddin, also known as Abu Jindal, later travelled to Saudi Arabia with a Pakistani passport and began raising funds there and recruiting men for future attacks, investigators said.

The United States tracked him to the kingdom and alerted New Delhi and Riyadh, officials said. “It is no longer safe for Indian terrorists living in Pakistan to travel to Saudi Arabia with new names and Pakistani passports,” said a senior intelligence officer who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he is not authorised to speak to the media.

“Many of them go there routinely for the Haj pilgrimage and Islamic charity. Some also go to Saudi Arabia to enlist Indian labourers into their militant network.” In May, police in Saudi Arabia detained another Indian, Fasih Mahmoud, who is accused in India of being involved in a bomb blast outside a cricket stadium and an incident in which gunmen shot at foreign tourists outside a mosque in 2010.

gulfnews : Saudi Arabia, India see growth in ties

AFAIK, the two countries have always had close ties. When I was an advisor to RSAF back in the 1980's, I worked along side PAF officers and men who were there assisting the KSA as well. It's the reason I became interested in this board. :pdf:

India and Arab countries complements each other India have companies that can help Arabs, labor and Arabs have oil we can work with each other to work for our people.

Not to forget India have one of the world's largest population of Muslims.

When Pakistanis take up jobs in Arab states, Iranian and Indian news papers have objection.
Common Pakistanis got beaten up by mobs in Bahrian as a reaction.

In Pakistan Arab Ambassador shot dead.
Pakistani police beat up first Arab they saw astray in Pakistan.

So don't be surprised if Arabs kickout Pakistanis for beating a 10 year old Arab kid and event got celebrated and congratulated by hate brigade on this forum.

Than we can ask British Pakistanis to makeup for the lost remittance, because otherwise we all would be dead, or enslaved by northern alliance of Afghanistan.

Enjoy Asif Ali Zardari, today's Pakistan is a gift of his religious vote bank.

India and Arab countries complements each other India have companies that can help Arabs, labor and Arabs have oil we can work with each other to work for our people.

Not to forget India have one of the world's largest population of Muslims.

Pakistani labor is 100% better than indian mafia, but due to Iran's object on Pakistanis taking jobs in Arabia, we become liability for Arabs.

Pakistani murdered by protesters in Manama – The Express Tribune

Pakistani workers seek escape after Bahrain attacks | DAWN.COM

http://jafrianews.com/2011/03/13/bahrains-govt-recruiting-mercenaries-from-pakistan/

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2011/07/2011725145048574888.html

Just check the title of this bich channel Al-Jazzera 'Pakistani troops aid Bahrain's crackdown' just because of a job adv. in Pakistani news paper.

When Pakistanis take up jobs in Arab states, Iranian and Indian news papers have objection.
Common Pakistanis got beaten up by mobs in Bahrian as a reaction.

I think you know who killed those Pakistanis. We don't consider them Arabs and even Bahrainis consider them traitors.

Indians have posted this news like ten times here, to make themselves look like an ally of KSA against Pakistan. It's just handing over an Indian to India. KSA relation with India is just based on mutual interests. That's it. But her relations with Pakistan is much deeper and stronger than handing over a person or economic relations.

I think you know who killed those Pakistanis. We don't consider them Arabs and even Bahrainis consider them traitors.

BalckEagle, I have lived and worked in Bahrain, I know the situation first hand.
I was not blaming all Bahrainis, actually i do not blame perpetrators, because i know for fact this unrest was foreign made.
I even met the people, who i believe engineered the unrest.

Issue is Pakistan has been on loosing end since last 4.5 years and hypocracy of media incl. Arab media 'Al-Jazeera' especially.. is more than obvious.

Of course, we do not expect good from some media sources of anti Pakistan states.

BalckEagle, I have lived and worked in Bahrain, I know the situation first hand.
I was not blaming all Bahrainis, actually i do not blame perpetrators, because i know for fact this unrest was foreign made.
I even met the people, who i believe engineered the unrest.

Issue is Pakistan has been on loosing end since last 4.5 years and hypocracy of media incl. Arab media 'Al-Jazeera' especially.. is more than obvious.

Of course, we do not expect good from some media sources of anti Pakistan states.

What is wrong with 'Al-Jazeera'? I have never heared it saying anything inappropriate about Pakistan. It even has been stiff on Arabs more than others.

What is wrong with 'Al-Jazeera'? I have never heared it saying anything inappropriate about Pakistan. It even has been stiff on Arabs more than others.

IMO,, it is towing the gross misinformation agenda, this is my general impression about the company, after monitoring its news, editorials and documentaries and you can take an example of the link i posted.

Check the title and substance.

I had different view when, they got bombed in Afghanistan and Iraq but now its changed.

Good, everyone is starting to realize that deteriorating ties with Iran is a small price for the privilege to work with Saudis.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom