What's new

Saras back from the brink again as NAL targets 2013 certification

duhastmish

Reaction score
Saras back from the brink again as NAL targets 2013 certification
By Radhakrishna Rao By Radhakrishna Rao

getAsset.aspx

After a Break of two years, Bangalore's National Aerospace Laboratories Has resumed Development of ITS Saras 14-seat multi-role transport aircraft following production authorisation approval by India's civil aviation authority.

The Saras programme has been hampered for more than two decades by a host of setbacks including political, technical and design issues. The latest delay came in 2009 when the second prototype of the twin-engined, push-prop aircraft crashed outside Bangalore, killing all three crew members.

NAL director Alevoor Upadhya says the company will press ahead with development of modified prototype.

The first prototype will be upgraded to meet the latest design criteria including higher-thrust 1,200hp (895kW) Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-67A engines and improvements to the flight control and flight operations systems.

A first flight is scheduled for August, says Upadhya, adding that NAL is working in parallel to reduce the weight of the first production aircraft by around 500kg (1,100lb) through the "extensive use of composites and by fine-tuning the structural design and optimising some of the on-board systems".

This aircraft is due to make its first flight by the end of 2011 leading to certification and first deliveries in 2013 and 2014 respectively.

Saras is targeted at regional airlines, charter, corporate and air ambulance operators as well as border control, surveillance and aerial survey providers.

ts

Well I have always Admired those who choose to try, NAL has been Backing for long on Saras and Failed as a Competitor for HAL, If NAL can Bring this Straight it would Get equal Opportunity by the Govt like HAL enjoys today....

this might be do or die for NAL. if they can pull this one out of hat. i bet they will go long way.

they are in hibernation for long and this project will boost indian commercial aviation sector. which is very mush needed more so than military.

I can predict that our aviation sector will be matured by 2015....
we will have Kaveri engine,cryogenic engine,nal saras,tejas,LCH,tejas mkII..etc..

NAL should concentrate more on military projects rather than 14 seater civilian j*** a** projects

NAL should concentrate more on military projects rather than 14 seater civilian j*** a** projects

It comes under Civil Aviation Ministry and Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, while HAL is Under Ministry of Defense.... NAL's Main Contribution must be towards Civil Aviation

I can predict that our aviation sector will be matured by 2015....
we will have Kaveri engine,cryogenic engine,nal saras,tejas,LCH,tejas mkII..etc..

maturing by 2015. no i dont think so. u use maturing wen items u develop become operational and give u desired results. beside ALH, none of the indegenous projects have been inducted. i think it will be another 15-20 yrs before we can safely say we have arrived in aerospace field.

markus - commercial aviation sector is way forward. this project is very much needed.

It comes under Civil Aviation Ministry and Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, while HAL is Under Ministry of Defense.... NAL's Main Contribution must be towards Civil Aviation

Well if that is the case, then why do people talk about NAL competing with HAL ?

Well if that is the case, then why do people talk about NAL competing with HAL ?

It needs to Make an Impact so that it Enjoys the same Funding Govt provides for HAL, NAL needs achieve this so that it secures its future as an Aircraft Manufacturer not as a Co R&D Partner in what ever HAL takes up...

It needs to Make an Impact so that, It Enjoys the same Funding Govt provides for HAL, NAL needs achieve this so that it secures its future as an Aircraft Manufacturer not as a Co R&D Partner in what ever HAL takes up...

But Sir, HAL is not a primary R&D company (even though they have R&D units, they are quite useless in that).

If NAL gets the same funding as HAL, then in that sense NAL is even a bigger non-performer than HAL.

But Sir, HAL is not a primary R&D company (even though they have R&D units, they are quite useless in that).

If NAL gets the same funding as HAL, then in that sense NAL is even a bigger non-performer than HAL.

HAL has Its Own R&D center which deals from Engines to Avionics, but the govt funds for manufacturing and Co R&D alone to better the results, although In the Mean time NAL has derived the technology working with HAL for Years now... Now NAL is confidently going ahead with Independent Projects, If Successful it would get better support from govt to establish Better Engineering facilities like the One In HAL Kanpur, Dont you think NAL must qualify its promises before it should get better support??

HAL has Its Own R&D center which deals from Engines to Avionics, but the govt funds for manufacturing and Co R&D alone to better the results, although In the Mean time NAL has derived the technology working with HAL for Years now... Now NAL is confidently going ahead with Independent Projects, If Successful it would get better support from govt to establish Better Engineering facilities like the One In HAL Kanpur, Dont you think NAL must qualify its promises before it should get better support??

Well Sir, to answer your question -> I am actually shocked that HAL and NAL enjoy the same funding even before NAL can deliver on what it promised.

My view is that both HAL and NAL should be brought under a unified management for better utilizations of funds and proper execution of India's aerospace strategy.

Well Sir, to answer your question -> I am actually shocked that HAL and NAL enjoy the same funding even before NAL can deliver on what it promised.

My view is that both HAL and NAL should be brought under a unified management for better utilizations of funds and proper execution of India's aerospace strategy.

Well, NAL does not enjoy the same funding by the govt to be precise, how can it enjoy without even proving its worth in terms of an Aviation Industry?? All these years it had been co partnering Mahindra, ISRO and HAL.....

Back
Top Bottom