What's new

Samsung phones to be assembled in Bangladesh

These are rather small markets actually. Shipbuilding for example is a 3000 crore industry or something as of 2015.

But pharma is now well over 2 billion US dollars and year and check out the growth:

http://www.thedailystar.net/business/pharma-sector-grow-15pc-year-study-1429024

"Presently, the pharma industry of Bangladesh meets 98 percent of the local demand and exports to more than 125 countries"

BD companies have only recently been cleared to export drugs to developed markets like the US.

"Besides, drug purchasing power is likely to rise with sustained growth in income as Bangladesh advances into the league of middle income countries, according to the analysis. "

"The industry also has growth opportunities in the international domain -- enough to emerge as the next thrust sector after garment."

“With backward integration, quality research and skilled human resources, Bangladesh's pharmaceutical industry can emerge as a world leader in producing off-patented generics medicine.”

According to this report by LR Global, BD is likely to follow India in the pharma sector. 15% growth yearly is quadrupling the size every 10 years.

Last edited:
Not realy sure about what is ur point actually. U should admire the fact that a local manufacturer like walton has successfully managed to overtake world renowned brands like Samsung, sharp or LG in refrigerator market of Bangladesh.

As far as the quality of their refrigerators is concerned, they r top notch and their after sells service is superb. BD People these days prefer walton over other foreign brands not only due to its cheap price, rather they choose this brand because of its quality and after sales service.

Secondly, they have sold like 17 Iac pcs of refrigerator in 2017 alone. That's quite a big number especially if u consider the fact that they control almost 70% of refrigerator market which u have already mentioned in ur post.

Thirdly, they aren't a tech giant like Google or Samsung. They aren't claiming themselves to be one. But that doesn't change the fact that they have done a remarkable job within their limited capacity and illuminated the way for other local BD brands to follow.

The problem is that BD people simply do not have exposure to actual quality refrigerators of the world reference mark. So they make do with what is tariff shielded internally....and then whichever internal business group can bribe the BD govt for OEM import and basic assembly in exchange for not releasing standard yearly revenue releases.

This is the largest reason why Walton exports have completely missed the mark from the earlier projections made on this very forum.

BD exports 59k worth of fridges when it was "targetting" millions of dollars by now. No one outside BD basically considers BD fridges as equivalent to what is already in the market:

http://www.worldstopexports.com/refrigerators-exports-country/

There is some higher chance of something exported with Samsung Phones long term (given it carries a name brand people know), but it certainly will not be to India....given India already is fast scaling up the assembly and OEM components at this point and imports basically zero finished phones right now already.

2016 cellphone exports from India stood at 235 million USD. Growing each year at large clip.

For BD it was around $7,000 (probably what people personally transferred ownership wise).

http://www.worldstopexports.com/cellphone-exports-by-country/

And people here are dreaming with this 5,000 times less per capita dynamic in play right now....a small domestic market based investment in BD will suddenly create a huge export flood into India or something....when BD does not even have the MVA scouted out, and zero OEM capex for the industry (Esp for export at world reference).

No country has ever managed when they were even 5 times say the raw steel, energy and cement consumption per capita of BD.... and BD is supposed to be the first one with the sub-sub-saharan level of patent, enterprise and science output it currently has. OK....lets see then.

Did I burst your bubble ? Here,help yourself :rofl: :rofl:

View attachment 464275

Whatever.

Forget about forced innovation using coolie-giri for foreign companies. Since you started on tissue - let's talk about that. Before 2000 Lota is all Indians knew how to use. They had no idea what toilet tissue was - yes virginia I'm talking about upper middle class Indians....

I was told your sad excuse of a country didn't even have _ANY_ market for toilet tissue much less facial tissue before 2000. :lol:

I had an older brother's friend who worked in a local Bangladeshi tissue conversion company in the early nineties. Indian trade reps came to his company and were astonished that we had a market for tissue. Their cheap a$$ couldn't fathom in their kanjoosi brains how a middle class person in Bangladesh could purchase and use toilet and facial tissue. :lol:

I think I have made my case. :azn:

How did u manage to come to that conclusion? OK, first tell me what r the primary characteristics of a an actual quality refrigerator. The primary purpose of an refrigerator is keeping the food fresh for as long as possible and walton refrigerators seem to be doing a great job on that regard.

Secondly, If low price was the only reason for behind the popularity of walton refrigerators then their mobile phones or motorbikes also would've been sold like hot cakes. Fact is the quality,design, after sales service of walton refrigerator are really good and above all they r selling their products at a competitive rate(due to lower production cost)

This is the largest reason why Walton exports have completely missed the mark from the earlier projections made on this very forum.

BD exports 59k worth of fridges when it was "targetting" millions of dollars by now. No one outside BD basically considers BD fridges as equivalent to what is already in the market:

http://www.worldstopexports.com/refrigerators-exports-country/

There is some higher chance of something exported with Samsung Phones long term (given it carries a name brand people know), but it certainly will not be to India....given India already is fast scaling up the assembly and OEM components at this point and imports basically zero finished phones right now already.

2016 cellphone exports from India stood at 235 million USD. Growing each year at large clip.

For BD it was around $7,000 (probably what people personally transferred ownership wise).

http://www.worldstopexports.com/cellphone-exports-by-country/

And people here are dreaming with this 5,000 times less per capita dynamic in play right now....a small domestic market based investment in BD will suddenly create a huge export flood into India or something....when BD does not even have the MVA scouted out, and zero OEM capex for the industry (Esp for export at world reference).

No country has ever managed when they were even 5 times say the raw steel, energy and cement consumption per capita of BD.... and BD is supposed to be the first one with the sub-sub-saharan level of patent, enterprise and science output it currently has. OK....lets see then.

Please stop wasting time with these clueless Sanghis.

Bangladesh was always an open import market for refrigerators. This guy probably is their first generation that used one. Indians were so cheap that there was almost non-existent market for refrigerators. How will they ever friggin' know even?? Trying to re-write history.

Can't afford facial tissue - now they come chest beating about refrigerator 'quality'. Don't even bring up the flimsy 'Godrej' garbage you call a refrigerator.

Bangladesh folks will laugh looking at their standard size refrigerator which is half the size of what the average Bangladeshi owns.

I myself grew up with imported Kelvinator, Zanussi and Frigidaire refrigerators, so did a lot of my friends. Indians neither imported refrigerators (all imports blocked), nor made any in significant numbers for their 'cheap' market.

What will Bhartis know about this.....

Last edited:
The problem is that BD people simply do not have exposure to actual quality refrigerators of the world reference mark. So they make do with what is tariff shielded internally....and then whichever internal business group can bribe the BD govt for OEM import and basic assembly in exchange for not releasing standard yearly revenue releases.

How did u manage to come to that conclusion? OK, first tell me what r the primary characteristics of an actual quality refrigerator(in ur words). The primary purpose of a refrigerator is keeping the food fresh for as long as possible especially in a hot & humid country like Bangladesh and walton refrigerators seem to be doing a great job in that regard. At least the overwhelming popularity of their refrigerators suggest that.

Secondly, If low price was the only reason behind the the success of walton refrigerators then their mobile phones or motorbikes also would've been sold like hot cakes. But they don't. Fact is the quality,design, after sales service of walton refrigerators r fantastic. Then add their refrigerators competitive pricing to the list and the end result is a product whose price performance ratio is better than any well known International brands in Bangladesh market.

I don't know who made that projection, don't care either. But according to wiki Walton started to make refrigerators in early 2000 which means they have been in this business for just over 15 years. How do u expect a relatively unknown company in international market to export a large volume of refrigerators.

They have already made their ground covered, which is having a strong presence in local market. Give it 20 years more and it will make its presence felt in international market just like the way it did in Bangladesh.

If Indians are already assembling mobile phones of international brands, then good for them.

Last edited:
Whatever.

Forget about forced innovation using coolie-giri for foreign companies. Since you started on tissue - let's talk about that. Before 2000 Lota is all Indians knew how to use. They had no idea what toilet tissue was - yes virginia I'm talking about upper middle class Indians....

I was told your sad excuse of a country didn't even have _ANY_ market for toilet tissue much less facial tissue before 2000. :lol:

I had an older brother's friend who worked in a local Bangladeshi tissue conversion company in the early nineties. Indian trade reps came to his company and were astonished that we had a market for tissue. Their cheap a$$ couldn't fathom in their kanjoosi brains how a middle class person in Bangladesh could purchase and use toilet and facial tissue.

Now he is talking about toilet paper... Why, does toilet paper remind you about what you are worth of ?

Stop deflecting Princess Billu...

Enjoy your position in the lowest two percentile...:rofl:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_groups_in_the_United_States_by_household_income

No amount of cooked up stories about lavish spending & lifestyle can't justify the EPIC failure called Bangladeshi Americans...:omghaha:

BTW WTF is forced innovation...? It seems 2 patent an year Bangladesh would need that.

Bangladesh was always an open import market for refrigerators. This guy probably is their first generation that used one. Indians were so cheap that there was almost non-existent market for refrigerators. How will they ever friggin' know even?? Trying to re-write history.

Can't afford facial tissue - now they come chest beating about refrigerator 'quality'. Don't even bring up the flimsy 'Godrej' garbage you call a refrigerator.

Bangladesh folks will laugh looking at their standard size refrigerator which is half the size of what the average Bangladeshi owns.

I myself grew up with imported Kelvinator, Zanussi and Frigidaire refrigerators, so did a lot of my friends. Indians neither imported refrigerators (all imports blocked), nor made any in significant numbers for their 'cheap' market.

More 'feelz' based non sense to hide the failures of LDC swamp

But that rhetoric wouldn't counter thr fact that the consumption of literally anything in India, let that be Smartphones or TV sets or refrigerators is at least 1.5 to 2 times that of Bangladesh... :lol:

If that's the case today with all that 'LDC quota RMG export success', we can guess what your situation was when you had half the GDP of India & was known as the international basket case. :-)

And that 'flimsy' Godrej was producing compressors since 1960s, which your Walton only started recently...and you made it look like they had built some nuclear reactor or something

Last edited:

I had an older brother's friend who worked in a local Bangladeshi tissue conversion company in the early nineties. Indian trade reps came to his company and were astonished that we had a market for tissue. Their cheap a$$ couldn't fathom in their kanjoosi brains how a middle class person in Bangladesh could purchase and use toilet and facial tissue. :lol:

I think I have made my case. :azn:

Lmao.

Sounds about right.

Yay for more fake waaah stories. You are fooling no one little guy. Bangladeshis even here know exactly what you are now:

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/the-...er-than-pakistans.536089/page-9#post-10141603

You remain a Pakka ill mannered Bangladeshi CHOTOLOK despised by others. Just grow up, kid.

WTF is with all this tissue talk all of a sudden? :blink:

Oh right you are a full on twink, judging "pretty" boys and feeling gay as a rainbow:

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/samsung-phones-to-be-assembled-in-bangladesh.551697/#post-10389215

You probably go through like 20 tissue boxes each day, and thats when you are not having whatever hormonal periods twinks go through in a month. So yeah makes sense this is a super important subject for you to project you super STRONK HOMO feelz on. :sarcastic:

How did u manage to come to that conclusion? OK, first tell me what r the primary characteristics of an actual quality refrigerator(in ur words). The primary purpose of a refrigerator is keeping the food fresh for as long as possible especially in a hot & humid country like Bangladesh and walton refrigerators seem to be doing a great job in that regard. At least the overwhelming popularity of their refrigerators suggest that.

I've looked at the non-branded (essentially chinese OEM + rebranded locally under some import + vague assembly) stuff in ASEAN countries too. They don't fare in the consumer ratings or sales figures terribly well compared to the local MNC brands. Like they have some USP and pricepoint but its not dominant for a reason esp when people have access to more choices and income levels....and want durability, reliability etc that a brand name guarantees more.

So if this is whats gonna be 90%+ or whatever of an already small refrigerator market....it doesn't inspire much confidence on the global reference quality tbh. But when you come from a low base, its fine and are scoping out the market/trends on what MVA makes sense domestically, its fine.

Also I am willing to be corrected on this should Walton actually export so we can all compare by the sales data in the countries it exports to.

It is like say an athlete inside Bangladesh. Inside BD he is good, does the job well compared to bulk of population (Even outside BD)...but its something else when we introduce the larger pool of world athletes.

Spearhead exporting is not easy, it needs long term domestic OEM supply chains so you dont just rely on labour differential for the capex pressure...and some larger (real accessible in the windows that interest investors) economy of scale potential esp to control (by way of strong govt/central bank policy w.r.t exporting for job creation) your global currency liquidity pressure.

These are not accessible at any relevant level to BD, much time (and much better policy and wealth pools) needs to elapse and hold ground. BD only export success has been on the back of globalist UN feelz (LDC quotas for RMG)...not on structured reform and policy like say Deng XiaoPeng did in China in the 80s.....neither is BD looking to really do this from what I have seen because it is not very politically expedient to do so.

Yet BD persists in projecting 2 year export time frames for all manner of goods almost like they are verbatim copied from a Chinese govt brochure in the 90s. Its totally apples to oranges by several degrees of magnitude. Again you are free to see what actually happens for yourself over time.

Secondly, If low price was the only reason behind the the success of walton refrigerators then their mobile phones or motorbikes also would've been sold like hot cakes.

Worse results in those sectors domestically stems from larger (sometimes even over) supply of those products in the world market compared to refrigerators and white goods.....combined with probably better BD consumer discrimination on those goods given their much higher MVA complexity (prompting more competition and thus inability of Walton to respond and dominate the sector internally).

You can compare what the capex cost is for (even final tier) refrigerator assembly compared to say for transport goods and mobile phones. It only magnifies further down the supply chain (up to the end OEM production) we compare these. So again its apples and oranges situation....not all products have the same or even close capex, labour skill costs w.r.t (esp immediate +mid term) ROI.

I don't know who made that projection, don't care either. But according to wiki Walton started to make refrigerators in early 2000 which means they have been in this business for just over 15 years. How do u expect a relatively unknown company in international market to export a large volume of refrigerators.

Exactly the question I posed when I saw such projections on this forum and the cacophony of BD celebration, but of course since I am Indian, it was taken as some insult...and this got further entrenched over time till we are where we are now.

Farticles like these that were posted by Billu and his posse and treated as the full guarantee to happen in just 2 years time:

http://www.waltonbd.com/index.php?route=pavblog/blog&id=589

Taking a plan to export almost half of the produced refrigerators, Walton is strengthening its local and international marketing wings.

http://www.risingbd.com/english/Walton_builds_plants_to_make_refrigerator_AC_compressors/3070

Walton televisions, motorcycles and air-conditioners are now exported to different countries of the world. It is possible to export these products to the developed countries as Bangladesh manufactures high-quality products. Walton has planned to export its products to many countries of the world within the current year. Walton has already completed setting up of an automatic fridge manufacturing plant, which will go into production from July. More 600,000 fridges will be manufactured annually at this new plant. Fridges which will be manufactured at the new plant will be non-frost and luxurious ones. The new fridge manufacturing plant will go into operation mainly targeting the markets of developing countries. In total, Walton’s annual fridge production capacity will stand at 1.4 million.

What ended up happening right now? 59,000 USD of refrigerator exports, apparently compressor parts to Indonesia....and who knows whats sustainable there now.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom