What's new

Samsung phones to be assembled in Bangladesh

You do realise that Walton dominates in areas like fridges/TVs and air conditioning?
Mobiles are a small part of their revenue stream and Walton has only recently got into that business. As Walton gets more experience, it will be better able to compete with the Chinese in terms of cost/quality. Unlike India, BD companies are not shielded from foreign competition.

These Bharti sanghi chest-beater losers cannot fathom that a company like Walton can be competitive and based on solid principles unlike their fly-by-night, here-today-gone-tomorrow dhokeybaaj Indian corporate outfits.

No Indian company that I have seen tries to have good corporate citizenship by actually employing Indian engineers (or even half-educated Indians) in any meaningful number to innovate a solid electronics product to sell internally, much less for export.

It is astonishing that a monolith country of a Billion people like theirs cannot make electronic smd components and motherboards for laptops (much less flexible mo-bos and micro smd's for cellphones) and export them commercially.

So they stick with IT labor coolie-giri.

xlarge.jpg

Did I burst your bubble ? Here,help yourself :rofl: :rofl:

images.jpg

You do realise that Walton dominates in areas like fridges/TVs and air conditioning?

I don't know about your AC market, but your TV market is about 1 million & your Walton has 30% market share, right? Yup surely 'dominating' the little market but doesn't add much in terms of revenue.

These Bharti sanghi chest-beater losers cannot fathom that a company like Walton can be competitive and based on solid principles unlike their fly-by-night, here-today-gone-tomorrow dhokeybaaj Indian corporate outfits.

No Indian company that I have seen tries to have good corporate citizenship by actually employing Indian engineers (or even half-educated Indians) in any meaningful number to innovate a solid electronics product to sell internally, much less for export.

:blah: :blah:

Another typical 'Princess Billu' post. 'based on solid principles'... :lol:

What exactly did your 'Baal-ton' innovate by importing $70 million worth of mobile phones from China ?

Except for a few units assembled locally (of already poor 6% share Walton- which only started recently) much of your mobile phones are imported with zero local value addition.

Nah, don't bring up PCB assembly of that few units, that's not 'innovation'.

The 'innovation' is exactly reflected here... Worse scientific output than sub-saharan Africa.

https://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/ac/ido/oeip/taf/cst_utl.htm

Nah, Indians cannot innovate, can they...?

India is already home to the chip giant’s largest R&D facility outside the U.S., and with a new $178 million investment the company said that it will open a “smart and green” building with IoT technology built into its core

https://venturebeat.com/2017/06/14/intel-commits-178-million-to-build-a-new-rd-facility-in-india/

And,

According to a new study by consulting firm Zinnov, out of $31 billion which was spent globally on Engineering related R&D, India alone accounted for $12.3 billion. This means that 40% of global budget on such high end R&D were spent in India in activities such as establishing R&D centers, hiring top scientists in this niche, and outsourcing engineering research projects into India. This is a steady increase of 8.3% compared to last year.

http://trak.in/tags/business/2015/12/12/india-beats-china-rd-global-patents-india/

Also,

https://m.economictimes.com/tech/ha...-value-to-chip-design/articleshow/5002194.cms

It is astonishing that a monolith country of a Billion people like theirs cannot make electronic smd components and motherboards for laptops

Really ? Samsung, Nokia & Foxconn have been doing PCB assembly for mobile phones in India for sometime. Now Micromax have started the same.

Same with several Indian vendors for defense/aerospace & medium size EMS providers.

Companies such as Visteon electronics & Harman Kardon too have SMT lines in India for automotive infotainment systems.

But yeah, keep inventing stories about WALTON STRONK...$70 million worth mobile phones is huge indeed !!!

@Nilgiri

So they stick with IT labor coolie-giri.

''IT work is coolie-giri''

''Says who?''

''Someone from a country which is known worldwide for low wage sweatshop work at 20 cents an hour'' :lol: :lol:

But don't forget to boast about huuuuuuuggggeee $800 million Bangladesh ICT exports !

Last edited:
I don't know about your AC market, but your TV market is about 1 million & your Walton has 30% market share, right? Yup surely 'dominating' the little market but doesn't add much in terms of revenue.

Fridge/freezer market share is 70% and Walton sells around 2 million units per year.

BD has 160 million people and the purchasing power of the consumer is growing very fast.

Take it or leave it. Will not make any difference to Walton and BD's success.
You are comparing Walton to your failed Indian electronics companies. Walton is more like an E Asian electronics company than a S Asian one.

:lol:

Walton's success ? In what ? Having 70% share in a small refrigerator market ? Manufacturing a hermetically sealed compressor ?

Like an E Asian company... Hmm, let me see all those patents filed by Walton. Someone told me about Asia's largest R&D center to be established by Walton sometime back... :lol:

Walton's success ? In what ? Having 70% share in a small refrigerator market ? Manufacturing a hermetically sealed compressor ?

Like an E Asian company... Hmm, let me see all those patents filed by Walton. Someone told me about Asia's largest R&D center to be established by Walton sometime back... :lol:

Not realy sure about what is ur point actually. U should admire the fact that a local manufacturer like walton has successfully managed to overtake world renowned brands like Samsung, sharp or LG in refrigerator market of Bangladesh.

As far as the quality of their refrigerators is concerned, they r top notch and their after sells service is superb. BD People these days prefer walton over other foreign brands not only due to its cheap price, rather they choose this brand because of its quality and after sales service.

Secondly, they have sold like 17 Iac pcs of refrigerator in 2017 alone. That's quite a big number especially if u consider the fact that they control almost 70% of refrigerator market which u have already mentioned in ur post.

Thirdly, they aren't a tech giant like Google or Samsung. They aren't claiming themselves to be one. But that doesn't change the fact that they have done a remarkable job within their limited capacity and illuminated the way for other local BD brands to follow.

U should admire the fact that a local manufacturer like walton has successfully managed to overtake world renowned brands like Samsung, sharp or LG in refrigerator market of Bangladesh.

This should be in bold.

'Run' like an E Asian electronics company.
Since Walton is still playing catch-up to Samsung, LG etc it has not yet developed new technology that it needs to patent. I urge you to browse Walton website and look at their TV screen technology - it is impressive for S Asian standards!
One big advantage that Walton has is that the BD home market has 160 million consumers whose purchasing power is sky-rocketing.
Latest figures for Walton fridge sales are that they are a whopping 30% up on the same period last year.
Walton has only just started to get into the export game, but we shall see big export volumes over the next 5-10 years.
India failed miserably in electronics( like everything else except space and nuclear power partially) and should not think BD will do the same as well.

This should be in bold.

OK. Make it bold. But is that a bad thing? Today they r fulfilling the local demand, who told u that tomorrow they won't expand it to fulfill international demands too? Actually the process has already started.

Look at ur own two wheeler companies like bajaj, TVS, RE. Find out their export quantity about 20 years back and compare it with today's quantity.

Couple of decades back, in Bangladesh, we knew about only two motorbike companies. Those were Honda and yamaha. Now these two brands have been almost overtaken by brands like bajaj and tvs since these Japanese brands price performance ratio in BD is way too inferior to brands like bajaj or TVS.

'Run' like an E Asian electronics company.
Since Walton is still playing catch-up to Samsung, LG etc it has not yet developed new technology that it needs to patent. I urge you to browse Walton website and look at their TV screen technology - it is impressive for S Asian standards!
One big advantage that Walton has is that the BD home market has 160 million consumers whose purchasing power is sky-rocketing.
Latest figures for Walton fridge sales are that they are a whopping 30% up on the same period last year.
Walton has only just started to get into the export game, but we shall see big export volumes over the next 5-10 years.
India failed miserably in electronics( like everything else except space and nuclear power partially) and should not think BD will do the same as well.

Now it's 'run like a east Asian company' ? :lol:

They do not innovate or probably even design anything because the R&D effort is marginal at the best. The standard expenditure for R&D in engineering is about 2% of sales, so you can expect how much they can spare for R&D...

You, being 'Mr. Will' can come up with projections (skyrocketing and all ) but the home market is hardly any advantage because it is not so 'huuuuge'- the the purchasing power is less & sales are smaller.

For example, the sales of smartphones/TVs in Bangladesh is half of that of India per capita.

And don't give me fancy export projections. Your actual, realized refrigerator export was a mere 59K in 2016.

Do you want me to dig out some old Walton export projection threads (as old as 2010) to show you how much you have realized ? :lol:

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/walton-enters-indian-territory.161778/

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/walton-likely-to-enter-eu-mkt-within-few-months.233059/#post-3879733

India 'failed miserably' ( :lol: ) but still have a much bigger industry & exports in electronics/white goods (even per capitawise), with far higher degree of localisation and a R&D sector which you can only dream of.

Read & cry...

http://www.worldstopexports.com/refrigerators-exports-country/

India $270 million
Bangladesh $59,000

In 2016-17, the total exports of electronics items from India stood at US$ 5.68 billion; occupying a share of 2.06% in India’s overall exports; which consists of Computer Hardware, Peripherals, Consumer Electronics, Electronics Components, Electronics Instruments and Telecom Instruments

http://www.indiantradeportal.in/vs.jsp?lang=1&id=0,30,50,169

And sure, India failed in every industry unlike Bangladesh which have a very diversified industry...:D

IMG_20180407_000022_264.jpg

Last edited:
Now it's 'run like a east Asian company' ? :lol:

They do not innovate or probably even design anything because the R&D effort is marginal at the best. The standard expenditure for R&D in engineering is about 2% of sales, so you can expect how much they can spare for R&D...

You, being 'Mr. Will' can come up with projections (skyrocketing and all ) but the home market is hardly any advantage because it is not so 'huuuuge'- the the purchasing power is less & sales are smaller.

For example, the sales of smartphones/TVs in Bangladesh is half of that of India per capita.

And don't give me fancy export projections. Your actual, realized refrigerator export was a mere 59K in 2016.

Do you want me to dig out some old Walton export projection threads (as old as 2010) to show you how much you have realized ? :lol:

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/walton-enters-indian-territory.161778/

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/walton-likely-to-enter-eu-mkt-within-few-months.233059/#post-3879733

India 'failed miserably' ( :lol: ) but still have a much bigger industry & exports in electronics/white goods (even per capitawise), with far higher degree of localisation and a R&D sector which you can only dream of.

Read & cry...

http://www.worldstopexports.com/refrigerators-exports-country/

India $270 million
Bangladesh $59,000

In 2016-17, the total exports of electronics items from India stood at US$ 5.68 billion; occupying a share of 2.06% in India’s overall exports; which consists of Computer Hardware, Peripherals, Consumer Electronics, Electronics Components, Electronics Instruments and Telecom Instruments

http://www.indiantradeportal.in/vs.jsp?lang=1&id=0,30,50,169

And sure, India failed in every industry unlike Bangladesh which have a very diversified industry...:D

View attachment 464349

Dude, industry is also local production as well as exports.
BD companies dominate in drugs(97% of local market), ships and electronics( dominate in certain products) at home.
Like I say BD has a large home market of 160 million people with rocketing purchasing power, and they still need to consolidate here before exports figures can grow much larger. Walton are looking at what kind of sales they can make over the next 10-15 years in an economy that could grow over 8% a year average.

Dude, industry is also local production as well as exports.
BD companies dominate in drugs(97% of local market), ships and electronics( dominate

These are rather small markets actually. Shipbuilding for example is a 3000 crore industry or something as of 2015.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom