What's new

Salmaan Taseer gets top US peace prize

faisal6309

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Salmaan Taseer gets top US peace prize

639086-SalmanTaseer-1385783945-560-640x480.jpg

LAHORE: Former Punjab governor Salmaan Taseer has been honoured with the Martin Luther King Junior Peace Award for his efforts in promoting human rights, peace and humanity. On behalf of the late governor, the award was received by family members at a ceremony on Friday.

Salmaan Taseer is the first non-American to receive the Martin Luther King Jr Award. Since 1979, the annual award honours those who make a significant contribution to the furtherance of Martin Luther King’s non-violent approach to eradicate racial, economic, and social injustice.

Taseer was assassinated in January 2011 for supporting a Christian woman, Aasia Bibi, who was falsely implicated in a blasphemy case, for which the court had awarded her death.

Addressing the gathering, Muslim-Christian Fellowship International chairman Zia Mahmood, who had presented the award, said that Salmaan Taseer was a man of courage who had always helped the depressed and the poor. He said that the sacrifices rendered by the late governor for the sake of peace, tolerance, social justice and human rights could not be forgotten.

Published in The Express Tribune, November 30th, 2013.

Salmaan Taseer gets top US peace prize – The Express Tribune

Bwahaha... What a farce!

What about the Shahbaz Bhatti Christian Minister for minority affairs, you know... The one who actually fought and was killed for his campaign of freedom of expression and minority rights in Pakistan?

What about him?

Bwahaha... What a farce!

What about the Shahbaz Bhatti Christian Minister for minority affairs, you know... The one who actually fought and was killed for his campaign of freedom of expression and minority rights in Pakistan?

What about him?
What we can expect from US? If they can nominate Malala for noble prize for peace then Salman Taseer deserve this.

What we can expect from US? If they can nominate Malala for noble prize for peace then Salman Taseer deserve this.

Zalala I mean Malala is just a pawn, sadly she is much to young to know that yet. Again another BB is being prepared to misguide our youth. Jeevay uncle sam.

Bwahaha... What a farce!

What about him?

Its about image janaab, it about image.
How many people out of Pakistan (or in Pakistan, for that matter) know what Shahbaz Bhatti looked like?
I don't; though I heard of Shahbaz Bhatti for the first time (and the last time) only on PDF.

Its about image janaab, it about image.
How many people out of Pakistan (or in Pakistan, for that matter) know what Shahbaz Bhatti looked like?
I don't; though I heard of Shahbaz Bhatti for the first time (and the last time) only on PDF.

Indeed, sad state of affairs. He was a very active social worker amongst other things, and also a very humble man. In a nation where even the son of a BPS 18 thinks he is a badmash, this guy was splendid. You had to meet him or at least hear him speak to realise how down to earth he really was!

Indeed, sad state of affairs. He was a very active social worker amongst other things, and also a very humble man. In a nation where even the son of a BPS 18 thinks he is a badmash, this guy was splendid. You had to meet him or at least hear him speak to realise how down to earth he really was!

I'd say that is connected to the Madison Avenue phenomenon that pervades our lives.
Consumerism and its attendant paraphernalia of branding, packaging etc. also gets transplanted on to human beings.

I'd say that is connected to the Madison Avenue phenomenon that pervades our lives.
Consumerism and its attendant paraphernalia of branding, packaging etc. also gets transplanted on to human beings.

Spot on sir, we may be independent on paper but our minds are still enslaved... Perfect example:

fair_%2526_lovely_men.jpg

Slightly OT, but i was watching Troy last night and found it hilarious that all the leads were White, manily with blue eyes and blond hair... When in fact both the Trojans and Arcadiens were actually brown.... :P

Sad sate when even history is not sacred!

Bwahaha... What a farce!

What about him?
may be because he bhatti was supposed to fight for right of his own people but taseer was not. Not many politicians talked against blasphemy law and many less after his death. That makes him special.
BTW not trying to make him a hero, he did contribute to some cause hence its worth appreciating him.

may be because he bhatti was supposed to fight for right of his own people but taseer was not.

That is besides the point, why did Mandella, Malcom X or Dr. Luther King get accolades they too only did what they did for their own peoples?

Spot on sir, we may be independent on paper but our minds are still enslaved... Perfect example:

fair_%2526_lovely_men.jpg

Slightly OT, but i was watching Troy last night and found it hilarious that all the leads were White, manily with blue eyes and blond hair... When in fact both the Trojans and Arcadiens were actually brown.... :P

Sad sate when even history is not sacred!

That, Sir; is a fantastic insight!
But since Troy was a Suburb in Hollywood just as Jerusalem of the 10 Commandments or Ben-Hur was; its only to be expected! :-)

For what exactly? Drinking and having love child? The values of 'liberals' I think.

Salman Taseer regardless of his corruption was brave and stood up for what was right. The blasphemy law is a tool of oppression. It has been continually used to frame innocent civilians on false charges of blasphemy. I wrote an article about this a long time ago but my site is down.

In any case the blasphemy law is constantly misused to frame innocent Christians and Hindus on false charges of blasphemy. We should have a minorities protection act. Instead poor people of different faiths from us suffer constantly. Quaid E Azam directed us to protect Hindus and claimed Pakistan would never be a theocratic state. By declaring Pakistan an Islamic Republic Ayub Khan tore apart Jinnah's secular vision.

Salman Taseer regardless of his corruption was brave and stood up for what was right. The blasphemy law is a tool of oppression. It has been continually used to frame innocent civilians on false charges of blasphemy. I wrote an article about this a long time ago but my site is down.

In any case the blasphemy law is constantly misused to frame innocent Christians and Hindus on false charges of blasphemy. We should have a minorities protection act. Instead poor people of different faiths from us suffer constantly. Quaid E Azam directed us to protect Hindus and claimed Pakistan would never be a theocratic state. By declaring Pakistan an Islamic Republic Ayub Khan tore apart Jinnah's secular vision.

For the last time Havi, Ayub Khan was not responsible. Whenever I come across this claim of yours, I let you know that you need to look back to 1949 objectives resolutions and 1956 constitution. But you never reply or acknowledge and keep repeating the same simple story that Ayub Khan was somehow responsible. He was not. He did plenty of stuff, but you can not lay this on him.

Back
Top Bottom