What's new

SAC FC-31 Stealth Fighter: News & Discussions

I stumbled across this post at the SDF including a translation from "mys_721tx":

J-XY.png

------------------------------------
Q: Is 2.0 cancelled?
A: No, it's still there. I saw it.

Q: Is 2.0 still [primer] green?
A: No, it has been painted.

Q: Does 2.0 have the same paint job as 31001?
A: No, totally different.

Q: What does 2.0 looks like? Are there any photo?
A: There are photos, just not in my procession. Don't ask me who has them, I will keep it as a secret. I will also keep the painting itself as a secret for the time being. I want to play a game to see how shocked everyone is when we see the photos of the first flight.

Q: Does 2.0 have the August 1st insignia?
A: Let me phrase it this way, it is not nice to commandeer private projects.

Q: Does 2.0 get new engines?
A: For some reason it's too dark and I wasn't able to see.

Q: Has the painted 2.0 not taken the first flight?
A: No, we should wait and see. There is no update but it should be on ground testing.

[J-]16's production capability is surprisingly [good].

There are good news by the end of the month.

There is a 2019 model aircraft near its first flight.

and another one from "Lama":

I try to make a translation.
1.Does the 2.0 still exist?
yes,I have already seen it.
2.Is the 2.0 still in green color?
No, the 2.0 has been painted.
3.Dose the 2.0's coat looks like 31001?
Totally different.
4.What is it like? any photos?
I don't have photos.Don't ask me who have photos. It should be kept secret. I want to play a game that all of you say wow after watching it. Pls keep an eye on other bloggers and wait for them to post the first photo of the 2.0.
5.Does it have the logo of PLA?
emmm…Let me explain it in this way: picking peaches is not a proper behavior.(picking peaches mostly means sit idle and enjoy the fruits)
6.Does the 2.0 have new engines?
Because of some reasons I can't see what the engines are like.It's too dark.
7.Doesn't the 2.0 have its first flight?
No. Let's wait. It's being test these days.

The capacity of J16 is amazing.
Something good will happen at the end of this month. But it is too sensitive. Maybe I'll talk about it next year.
New type aircraft of 2019 will have its first flight.(he say 19款,it can mean 19 types or type of 2019.I belive he means the latter.

IMO interesting, but again:

- who is the original poster?
- how reliable is he (or she)?
- it's overall a bit confusing: we all know 02 exists since some time and even that it flew already .. so why the 7. question?

Here's the original tweet:

I stumbled across this post at the SDF including a translation from "mys_721tx":

View attachment 563445

Q: Is 2.0 cancelled?
A: No, it's still there. I saw it.

Q: Is 2.0 still [primer] green?
A: No, it has been painted.

Q: Does 2.0 have the same paint job as 31001?
A: No, totally different.

Q: What does 2.0 looks like? Are there any photo?
A: There are photos, just not in my procession. Don't ask me who has them, I will keep it as a secret. I will also keep the painting itself as a secret for the time being. I want to play a game to see how shocked everyone is when we see the photos of the first flight.

Q: Does 2.0 have the August 1st insignia?
A: Let me phrase it this way, it is not nice to commandeer private projects.

Q: Does 2.0 get new engines?
A: For some reason it's too dark and I wasn't able to see.

Q: Has the painted 2.0 not taken the first flight?
A: No, we should wait and see. There is no update but it should be on ground testing.

[J-]16's production capability is surprisingly [good].

There are good news by the end of the month.

There is a 2019 model aircraft near its first flight.

and another one from "Lama":

I try to make a translation.
1.Does the 2.0 still exist?
yes,I have already seen it.
2.Is the 2.0 still in green color?
No, the 2.0 has been painted.
3.Dose the 2.0's coat looks like 31001?
Totally different.
4.What is it like? any photos?
I don't have photos.Don't ask me who have photos. It should be kept secret. I want to play a game that all of you say wow after watching it. Pls keep an eye on other bloggers and wait for them to post the first photo of the 2.0.
5.Does it have the logo of PLA?
emmm…Let me explain it in this way: picking peaches is not a proper behavior.(picking peaches mostly means sit idle and enjoy the fruits)
6.Does the 2.0 have new engines?
Because of some reasons I can't see what the engines are like.It's too dark.
7.Doesn't the 2.0 have its first flight?
No. Let's wait. It's being test these days.

The capacity of J16 is amazing.
Something good will happen at the end of this month. But it is too sensitive. Maybe I'll talk about it next year.
New type aircraft of 2019 will have its first flight.(he say 19款,it can mean 19 types or type of 2019.I belive he means the latter.

IMO interesting, but again:

- who is the original poster?
- how reliable is he (or she)?
- it's overall a bit confusing: we all know 02 exists since some time and even that it flew already .. so why the 7. question?

Here's the original tweet:

Maybe Q6 hinting of using new engines, but he didn't want to say it directly? He said due to special reason, his eyelids almost cracked still can't see what the engines looks like. Too dark.... ( Too dark sometimes have different meaning then just literally dark)

Q7 was asked because this supposedly "new painted 02" haven't done the first flight yet, just test drive/ ground testing right now. If assuming speculation from Q6 possible new engines Or this 02 maybe is 03? Then the question is very valid. But don't know anything about the original poster or his reputation.

As for cartoon pic... maybe navy white color? Or I'm thinking too much. :p:

Intl interest in China's FC-31 stealth fighter jet grows
By Liu Xuanzun Source:Global Times Published: 2019/6/11 17:12:49

China's made-for-export FC-31 warplane is making a big impression, as reports say international buyers are thinking of buying the stealth fighter jet, with Chinese military experts recommending on Tuesday that China try to seize these opportunities.

The FC-31 boasts very similar capabilities to the US' F-35 fighter jets, making it a viable option for weapons buyers, experts said.

Turkey is considering purchasing China's FC-31 and Russia's Su-57 to replace the US' F-35 stealth fighter jet, as Turkey seems determined to procure the Russian-made S-400 air defense system, Weihutang, a military column affiliated with China Central Television, reported on Monday, citing Turkish media.

The report came after the US threatened Turkey, saying it will not deliver the 100 F-35As to Turkey as planned if Turkey accepts delivery of the Russian air defense system, US media outlet Defense News reported on Friday.

Potential international buyers' attention on the FC-31 is a good thing, and China should push for such opportunities to export the warplane, Xu Guangyu, a senior consultant at the China Arms Control and Disarmament Association, told the Global Times on Tuesday.

Potential buyers like Turkey may need a huge number of stealth fighter jets, and they could purchase both FC-31 and Su-57 if they do not get the F-35s, Xu said, noting that neither China nor Russia is likely capable of manufacturing as many as a hundred stealth fighter jets for export in a short time.

China's FC-31, Russia's Su-57 and the US' F-35 are the only three stealth fighter jets available on the international arms market.

Developed by Shenyang Aircraft Corporation under the state-owned Aviation Industry Corporation of China, the FC-31 is a fifth generation medium-sized twin-engine multirole stealth fighter jet intended for export.

It made its public debut flight at Airshow China 2014 in Zhuhai, South China's Guangdong Province, but relatively little was heard of it after that. Analysts said it is being upgraded and could serve as China's next generation aircraft carrier-based fighter jet in the future.

"The Chinese stealth fighter jet has not yet entered mass production or military service. This means it is still being improved. In a year or two, it will likely be built with many more new and advanced technologies," Xu said.

The FC-31 is very similar to the F-35 in terms of its comprehensive tactical capabilities, and thanks to late-mover advantages, it might become even better, Xu said.

Here it is said it will be exported...but in this article from the same GT in January (http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1134186.shtml), it is said it WILL NOT be.

"The FC-31 is a fourth generation medium-sized stealth fighter jet originally intended for export. Chinese military experts said that the PLA procurement notice suggests the FC-31 is no longer export-oriented, and is destined for domestic military service."

So what's going on with it? Yes or No?

Intl interest in China's FC-31 stealth fighter jet grows
By Liu Xuanzun Source:Global Times Published: 2019/6/11 17:12:49

China's made-for-export FC-31 warplane is making a big impression, as reports say international buyers are thinking of buying the stealth fighter jet, with Chinese military experts recommending on Tuesday that China try to seize these opportunities.

The FC-31 boasts very similar capabilities to the US' F-35 fighter jets, making it a viable option for weapons buyers, experts said.

Turkey is considering purchasing China's FC-31 and Russia's Su-57 to replace the US' F-35 stealth fighter jet, as Turkey seems determined to procure the Russian-made S-400 air defense system, Weihutang, a military column affiliated with China Central Television, reported on Monday, citing Turkish media.

The report came after the US threatened Turkey, saying it will not deliver the 100 F-35As to Turkey as planned if Turkey accepts delivery of the Russian air defense system, US media outlet Defense News reported on Friday.

Potential international buyers' attention on the FC-31 is a good thing, and China should push for such opportunities to export the warplane, Xu Guangyu, a senior consultant at the China Arms Control and Disarmament Association, told the Global Times on Tuesday.

Potential buyers like Turkey may need a huge number of stealth fighter jets, and they could purchase both FC-31 and Su-57 if they do not get the F-35s, Xu said, noting that neither China nor Russia is likely capable of manufacturing as many as a hundred stealth fighter jets for export in a short time.

China's FC-31, Russia's Su-57 and the US' F-35 are the only three stealth fighter jets available on the international arms market.

Developed by Shenyang Aircraft Corporation under the state-owned Aviation Industry Corporation of China, the FC-31 is a fifth generation medium-sized twin-engine multirole stealth fighter jet intended for export.

It made its public debut flight at Airshow China 2014 in Zhuhai, South China's Guangdong Province, but relatively little was heard of it after that. Analysts said it is being upgraded and could serve as China's next generation aircraft carrier-based fighter jet in the future.

"The Chinese stealth fighter jet has not yet entered mass production or military service. This means it is still being improved. In a year or two, it will likely be built with many more new and advanced technologies," Xu said.

The FC-31 is very similar to the F-35 in terms of its comprehensive tactical capabilities, and thanks to late-mover advantages, it might become even better, Xu said.

Here it is said it will be exported...but in this article from the same GT in January (http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1134186.shtml), it is said it WILL NOT be.

"The FC-31 is a fourth generation medium-sized stealth fighter jet originally intended for export. Chinese military experts said that the PLA procurement notice suggests the FC-31 is no longer export-oriented, and is destined for domestic military service."

So what's going on with it? Yes or No?

China sells FC-31 to Turkey --> Uyghurs no longer a problem.

And its FC31 Version 3.0 if Im not wrong. Bulkier engine and mid fuselage as well as larger intakes. Looks like the next version of current WS13E is a relatively larger engine and bigger fuselage means more fuel and larger internal weapon bays.

Nope, its just the same misshaped wrong model we already know from other shows and not a true representative of any future real V3.

Hey @Deino, may be chinese reporters are sometimes reading posts on PDF too, lol, just joking...I guess others are drawing similar false conclusions due to the misshaped model on display as you mentioned earlier.

China's FC-31 fighter jet shows major upgrades at Paris Air Show
By Liu Xuanzun Source:Global Times Published: 2019/6/19 17:49:18

5cc0656b-52b6-4eae-b06d-c401ec3f0def.jpeg

A model of China's FC-31 stealth fighter jet displayed at the Paris Air Show features new designs behind the cockpit and at the engines compared to previous prototypes.

China's fifth-generation stealth fighter jet FC-31 showcased its latest upgrades at the ongoing Paris Air Show, and analysts noted on Wednesday that the displayed model shows noteworthy changes in design that could significantly improve its capabilities.

A scaled model of the FC-31 is being displayed by the state-owned Aviation Industry Corporation of China (AVIC) at the company's stand at the 53rd Paris Air Show, which is scheduled to run from Monday to Sunday.

Chinese military observers and media said the model on display appears to have undergone many changes compared to the aircraft's past designs.

The area behind the cockpit and the areas where the two engines are housed are now bulkier, Weihutang, a military column affiliated with China Central Television, reported on Wednesday.

The optimized aerodynamic design further reduces wind resistance, the report said.

Wang Ya'nan, chief editor of Aerospace Knowledge magazine, told the Global Times on Wednesday that these changes could mean the aircraft has been made more agile and is capable of carrying more fuel, which will give it a larger operational range.

It might also carry additional electronic devices for communication or satellite links, Wang said.

The upgraded FC-31 might even feature a pair of new engines, reported Ordnance Industry Science Technology, a Xi'an-based periodical on the national defense industry.

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1154840.shtml

Hey @Deino, may be chinese reporters are sometimes reading posts on PDF too, lol, just joking...I guess others are drawing similar false conclusions due to the misshaped model on display as you mentioned earlier.

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1154840.shtml

Please not ... :mad::confused::eek:

Global times is highly unreliable and also, this model is more or less the same mis-shaped model we already know since two years. It has exactly the same wrong details ...

IMO simply forget it.

64466381_1150848651785892_2190410458849083392_o.jpg

Please not ... :mad::confused::eek:

Global times is highly unreliable and also, this model is more or less the same mis-shaped model we already know since two years. It has exactly the same wrong details ...

IMO simply forget it.

View attachment 565957
Aye aye Captain. Only posted it as Google news carried it on my home page and it says about the same as I wrongly inferred.

I already agree with you:
I guess others are drawing similar false conclusions due to the misshaped model on display as you mentioned earlier.

'Upgraded' FC-31 Stealth Jet Model at Paris Airshow 2019

china_fc-_1561014457.jpg

FC-31 with weapons: Illustration via Chinese media

China displayed a scale-model of its FC-31 stealth fighter jet at the Paris Airshow 2019 with different contours than that of its current prototype triggering speculation that the jet had been upgraded with new features.

“The displayed model shows noteworthy changes in design that could significantly improve its capabilities,” pro-government Global Times noted. The area behind the cockpit and the areas where the two engines are housed are now bulkier and the aerodynamic design has been optimized to further reduce wind resistance, the report noted.

These changes could mean the aircraft has been made more agile and is capable of carrying more fuel, which will give it a larger operational range; it might also carry additional electronic devices for communication or satellite links, the paper said quoting an industry expert.

The upgraded FC-31 might even feature a pair of new engines. The engine nozzles on the FC-31 model displayed in Paris are very different in structure and shape than the ones previously used suggesting more powerful engines.

Despite several years in the making, the J-31 (FC-31 is the designation for the export version), is nowhere near services entry. The first prototype/tech demonstrator flew in 2012. A second prototype with upgrades to its wings, inclusion of IRST sensor and a single piece canopy was shown at the 2014 Zhuhai airshow and its first flight happened only in December 2016.

At that time, it was believed that the design had been frozen and that the aircraft would begin the process of testing its various weapons, communication and stealth features.

Speculation of project delays was rife when the jet did not put up a flying display at the 2018 Zhuhai Air show. However, with new-look mock-up at the ongoing Paris event, possibility of the project skipping timelines of prototype testing and certification cannot be discounted.

Back
Top Bottom