What's new

SAC developing VTOL stealth fighter, called "Snowy Owl"

Suuuuurrrreeee you did...:rolleyes:...If you did, you would not have used the phrase 'radar reflection'. But I let you passed anyway.

So, what are you exactly trying to prove? That I don't know much military vocabulary, or that I don't know that canards may not be the stealthiest aspect of a plane?

Make up your mind, Gambit. :lazy:

P.S. A pig is still a pig, even if I call it a hog

He's saying that if the canard is designed properly, direct reflection is not the thing to worry about but backscattering and diffractions.

He's saying that if the canard is designed properly, direct reflection is not the thing to worry about but backscattering and diffractions.

Which will most likely end up with the same result: compromised RCS

Which will most likely end up with the same result: compromised RCS

It's unlikely that the canard in the J-20 would significantly add RCS. Otherwise they would have simply gone for a conventional design which would have been much easier to develop.

They would then probably come up with a twin engine design based on a stealth version of JF-17, since it's the modern non-canard design that CAC have experience in.

It's unlikely that the canard in the J-20 would significantly add RCS. Otherwise they would have simply gone for a conventional design which would have been much easier to develop.
We have gone through this issue already. Use the forum's search feature and read those arguments before you make such declarations.

On VTOL: The VTOL JSF variant is unique in this class compared to the Harrier or Yak FORGER in that the lift fan is not simply ducted jet exhaust... instead, it uses a transmission shaft from the engine to turn a massive lift fan. This does two things:

1) Much greater lifting power compared to ducting jet exhaust

2) The air flow downward is not oxygen-depleted, and can be ingested by the engine with no ill effects except for FOD.

The F-35 VTOL shows great promise.

I've noticed a tendency (very common) for experimentals and prototypes to be shown and exclaimed as "The next great fighter" when in reality there is a strong chance such examples are for research and will never be produced. NASA (and other organizations) have produced a huge number of "X" airplanes over the decades purely for research, only to be retired after the research is concluded.

That said, it'd still be cool to see a few pictures.

On VTOL: The VTOL JSF variant is unique in this class compared to the Harrier or Yak FORGER in that the lift fan is not simply ducted jet exhaust... instead, it uses a transmission shaft from the engine to turn a massive lift fan. This does two things:

1) Much greater lifting power compared to ducting jet exhaust

2) The air flow downward is not oxygen-depleted, and can be ingested by the engine with no ill effects except for FOD.

The F-35 VTOL shows great promise.

I've noticed a tendency (very common) for experimentals and prototypes to be shown and exclaimed as "The next great fighter" when in reality there is a strong chance such examples are for research and will never be produced. NASA (and other organizations) have produced a huge number of "X" airplanes over the decades purely for research, only to be retired after the research is concluded.

That said, it'd still be cool to see a few pictures.

You can correctly attribute this "tendency" to a few members, leave the rest of us out of it.

You can correctly attribute this "tendency" to a few members, leave the rest of us out of it.

Don't be so defensive. I named no names, nor was it anything more than a reference to some posters, not all.

For example, the Soviet "Berkut" still makes some people's top-ten list as a "great fighter."

88045215.jpg

Don't be so defensive. I named no names, nor was it anything more than a reference to some posters, not all.

For example, the Soviet "Berkut" still makes some people's top-ten list as a "great fighter."

88045215.jpg

Not really directed at you per say. Am just sick of these threads that claim a breakthrough every other day without a legit source.

The J-20 may emphasize RAM on the canards, but there will be some increased RCS to some extent. In this case, maneuverability is emphasized over stealthiness (although it's still quite stealthy).

Any updates on this project?

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

20120307130914b290b.jpg

2254165830104391629S600x600Q85.jpg

Back
Top Bottom