What's new

SAARC meet: New Delhi for Pak-Bangla train via India, Nepal

If this plan implemented its really a great news. If India can push further and this service restricted not only as passenger service its a great news for SAARC economy, India is completely disconnected to central Asia now. If this is implemented successfully , India gains access to central Asia and Pakistan can access East Asian countries .I don't know why some Pakistanis don't like this option though it can benefit their struggling economy a lot.

How do you know India will gain access to Central Asia?

India needs access to Central Asia much more than Pakistan needs access to Bangladesh.

Have you forgotten what happened in Samjhota Express bombing? And most Pakistani tourists were killed in that bombing.

No thanks we dont want anything to do with India. We tried people to people contact from 2002-2007 and it didn't work.

I think we should consider the economics of the proposal. How many would actually use this service from Pakistan to BD? How long would the journey take and how much would it cost? While the Dhaka-Kolkata train service was opened with much fanfare it now cannot make ends meet due to the decline in passengers. A similar fate would probably befall the proposed train service between Pak-BD. It is far more convenient to fly and for cargo ship transport is better.

We may now also factor the security implications. On entering Indian territory would the authorities require checking of passports and other details. Would this be another means of surveillance and also invasion of privacy? Would Indian nationals be able to board the train en route to either Pakistan or BD? What implications would this have from a security perspective? What are the risks from terrorist attack and would this increase the costs of the service in terms of prevention.

In the bd section,i tumbled on many posts who cursed india as it was not willing to provide a route through it to pak till date!!!....now we have opened that door,and you are still cursing india!!!.....weird,i must say

My friend you have opened many doors already. Let us close a few of them before letting you open yet again.

:pakistan:

India is reality and we do not have to be locked into a relationship whose entirety is suspicion and hostility. The more stakes we have in each other the closer we are to the days when we are normalized, people come and go, trade flows and we begin to think of each as people and the countries involved as places where we can choose to be or not.

I think we really must begin to think more about prosperity and lives of dignity instead of suspicion and hostility - yes, it's difficult to do so, we will have to give so many of our ideas and baggage - but it has to be done - we all know that it has to be done - so why not sooner rather than later.

None of us including you could be wiser, more tolerant and humanity loving than our Holy Prophet PBUH. When he had to had several wars with this Hindu Mindset, we are sure to have more with them in the years to come. Remember, all the animals cannot be domesticated and all the humans cannot be made friends. It is how nature works. We as Pakistani can be friends of almost all the countries in the world but there are few exceptions and India is one of them. Our differences are not based on the piece of land we live in, it goes deeper down to our beliefs, principles and values.. and this is not how we feel about Indians, this is how they feel as well. Who do you think they abused the most after Nuclear Explosions? Along who's border do India has maximum military density? Why do games like Cricket between the two countries feel more of a Superiority Competition instead of game and sports?

By wearing green glasses, you only make yourself see things different but reality stays the way it is. Hazrat Ali said, give 100 opportunities to your enemy to be your friend but do not give single opportunity to your friend to become an enemy. If India (Hindu Mindset) is still a hostile state for Pakistan (Muslims) after (1400+) 60 years, that means India has well consumed its 100 opportunities to become our friend already. You want to offer more? GoodLuck!

"They are deaf, dumb and blind. They will not return to truth".. When light of Allah could not make them see the reality, your one trillion attempts to make them friends would result in nothing. I am not stopping anybody not to do CBMs, I am just telling you what we have learned from the history.

:pakistan:

well i do support this idea, it is good for the Entire peoples of South Asia and not just Pakistan, India or Bangladesh

I rather have Pakistan be linked to resource-rich Central Asia and oil-rich Middle East than South Asia like the Islamabad-Tehran-Istanbul rail link that we are working on.

South Asia is of little value compared to Central Asia and the Middle East. However, Bangladesh will be rich once they get total control over Bay of Bengal.

P.S. India is the last country Pakistan should ever trust with anything.

Total controll ??

Cud you pls elaborate.

well i do support this idea, it is good for the Entire peoples of South Asia and not just Pakistan, India or Bangladesh

India would want something in return. Maybe access to Central Asia through Pakistan and India needs that access to Central Asia much more than Pakistan needs access to Bangladesh.

India would want something in return. Maybe access to Central Asia through Pakistan and India needs that access to Central Asia much more than Pakistan needs access to Bangladesh.

Why not....Its a fair exchange.......Thats how business works......I scratch your back ... you scratch mine.....:cheers:

Why not....Its a fair exchange.......Thats how business works......I scratch your back ... you scratch mine.....:cheers:

No offence to Bangladeshis but Bangladesh is not as valuable as Central Asia is.

Now if India is keen on settling the Kashmir dispute then maybe we can work something out.

I think we should consider the economics of the proposal. How many would actually use this service from Pakistan to BD? How long would the journey take and how much would it cost? While the Dhaka-Kolkata train service was opened with much fanfare it now cannot make ends meet due to the decline in passengers. A similar fate would probably befall the proposed train service between Pak-BD. It is far more convenient to fly and for cargo ship transport is better.

We may now also factor the security implications. On entering Indian territory would the authorities require checking of passports and other details. Would this be another means of surveillance and also invasion of privacy? Would Indian nationals be able to board the train en route to either Pakistan or BD? What implications would this have from a security perspective? What are the risks from terrorist attack and would this increase the costs of the service in terms of prevention.

Relevant points ( those in Bold).

The underlined part is strange. Immigration & Custom checks cannot be deemed to be an invasion of privacy or survelliance - surely.

The potential of natural gas exploitation also makes the Bay of Bengal important for India, Bangladesh and Myanmar.[30] Disputes over rights of some oil and gas blocks have caused brief diplomatic spats between India and Bangladesh.

Bay of Bengal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You possibly meant total control of the areas BD claims & not total control of the bay of Bengal - right ?

No offence to Bangladeshis but Bangladesh is not as valuable as Central Asia is.

Now if India is keen on settling the Kashmir dispute then maybe we can work something out.

There we go again......The thread is gone for a toss.........help anyone....

How do you know India will gain access to Central Asia?

India needs access to Central Asia much more than Pakistan needs access to Bangladesh.

Have you forgotten what happened in Samjhota Express bombing? And most Pakistani tourists were killed in that bombing.

No thanks we dont want anything to do with India. We tried people to people contact from 2002-2007 and it didn't work.

Yes,But I remember the trial went very fair and transparent also we have not forgotten how some great Pakistan leaders opened bus service with India in one side and the other side planned for "Kargil achievement" to push hundreds of Kashmir "freedom fighters" to kill innocent civilians in India.

It was not you tried from 2002 - 2007 every time you have played a big role in breaking the peace process, let it be Kargil or so called non state actors or "Kashmir freedom fighters" :angry: every time its broken by you.

Its definitely India to worry about security because even some of the Pakistan friends in this forum feel proud of Kasab for his achievements by killing hundreds to bring freedom to Kashmir.

More over by disconnecting India Pakistan has more to loose than India.May be in future India if becomes rich will definitely try to have a better connectivity by avoiding Pakistan.

This is a brilliant idea. Bangladesh pressed hard, for access to that connectivity whenever India asked for transit. The route may not be economically viable at the begining but will bring immese benifit for the people of south asia in distant future. Every step counts.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom