What's new

Saab wins Brazil's F-X2 fighter contest with Gripen NG

flamer84

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Romania
After a decade of discussion, Brazil’s President Dilma Rousseff announced on Wednesday the acquisition of 36 Gripen NG fighter jets, from Sweden’s Saab (STO:SAAB-B), for the FX-2 program of the Brazilian Air Force. Defense Minister Celso Amorim and General Juniti Saito, the air force's chief of staff, will hold a press conference at 2 p.m. EST, for the official announcement.

President Dilma Rousseff Announces Brazil Is Buying Sweden's Saab Gripen Jet Fighters

I'm very happy for the Gripen !

I thought Rafale was front runner.

Anyways, good decision.

I thought Rafale was front runner.

Anyways, good decision.

Rumour has it that money were a big issue,the Gripen beeing a few billions cheaper,8 billion $ was stated for the Rafale,4,5 billion for Gripen.I personally find the numbers for the Rafale inflated tough.I think we will find out more details in the press conference soon.

Anyway,it looks bad for Hollande,especially as he just was in Brazil to champion the Rafale.

Very wise choice indeed. Gripen is a proven fighter with its critical parts proven on F-A/18 and 16.

Brazil has made a great choice.

Saab wins $4.5bn Brazil fighter jet contract
_71836455_88392900.jpg
The contract win is a major boost for Sweden-based Saab as it looks to take on rivals like Boeing

Swedish manufacturer Saab has won a $4.5bn (£2.7bn) contract to supply 36 fighter jets to Brazil.

The deal is one of the most valuable ones in emerging markets and Saab had faced competition from rivals Boeing and Dassault Aviation.

Many had expected Boeing or Dassault to emerge as the winner.

The BBC's Gary Duffy in Sao Paulo says Boeing's whose cause was not helped by a recent row between the United States and Brazil over spying allegations.

The US National Security Agency (NSA) has been accused of intercepting emails and messages from President Dilma Rousseff, her aides and state oil company, Petrobras.

David Fleischer, a political scientist at the University of Brasilia, said that Ms Rousseff "had been favouring the Boeing plane and a lot of people thought she would announce her decision during her state visit to Washington".

"Boeing was very close but then the NSA booted them out of the air," he said.

The spying allegations were made by Rio-based journalist Glenn Greenwald, who obtained secret files from former NSA contractor Edward Snowden.

The claims led to Ms Rousseff cancelling her state visit to Washington, initially planned for October this year.

Brazil had delayed the decision on awarding the contract for many years.

Defence Minister Celso Amorim said the authorities, "took into account performance, the effective transfer of technology and costs - not just of acquisition but of maintenance" while finalising the supplier.

Brazil's decision comes just weeks after Boeing lost out to Lockheed Martin in the run to win a multi-billion dollar fighter jet deal in South Korea.

Boeing had been considered a front runner in that deal as well, until Seoul decided to restart the tender process.

BBC News - Saab wins $4.5bn Brazil fighter jet contract

Last edited by a moderator:
Waiting for Indian tender.....

Sure it is termed waiting but hindustan has no other choice wasted millions and years it will go through as it is the only aircraft that can effectively replace large number of Jaguars and Mig-27 in the next 15 years all together, we should not take it lightly the numbers would increase from 126 to 200 eventually. But yes NSA, UK-French spying did damage throw out every contender except for Swedish Gripen.

Rafale has been operational since 2000, but is yet to find another buyer.

Sure it is termed waiting but hindustan has no other choice wasted millions and years it will go through as it is the only aircraft that can effectively replace large number of Jaguars and Mig-27 in the next 15 years all together, we should not take it lightly the numbers would increase from 126 to 200 eventually. But yes NSA, UK-French spying did damage throw out every contender except for Swedish Gripen.

Even if India signs 126 aircraft deal, it will take two years for the first aircraft to arrive and the last ones in 2020s, increase the number to 200 and that pushes the timetable further down.

Makes me wonder if Rafale is actually a good buy. Really expensive, not really combat tested (SEAD and etc in Libya doesn't count much, Libya wasn't much of an Air Defence threat anyway) and no export buyer compared to F-16s, Gripen, Typhoon, F-15s etc

If the Su30 MKI is as superior as India makes it to be (not saying it is not) then where does the Rafale fit?

Even if India signs 126 aircraft deal, it will take two years for the first aircraft to arrive and the last ones in 2020s, increase the number to 200 and that pushes the timetable further down.

Makes me wonder if Rafale is actually a good buy. Really expensive, not really combat tested (SEAD and etc in Libya doesn't count much, Libya wasn't much of an Air Defence threat anyway) and no export buyer compared to F-16s, Gripen, Typhoon, F-15s etc

If the Su30 MKI is as superior as India makes it to be (not saying it is not) then where does the Rafale fit?

This actually is a political decision on part of hindustan and if i may say potent aircraft but a blunder at the same time, they could have actually saved money and invested in more SU-30/SU-35 "Frenchiefied" it just like their israelified SU-30s, RCS is one thing if they had to take a shot at to get lowered RCS product they could have discussed SU-35 whos RCS is small then SU-30 but then again we heard ridiculous smart stealth skin on SU-30 if that was the case more SU-30 would have been better. Yes you are right incase of hindustan but incase of Brazil they have got themselves a good deal lets hope they get NG+ product.

Back
Top Bottom