What's new

Saab, Tata Fighter Jet Production - Defensenews

PAFAce

Reaction score
I don't know if this should go in the Aviation section or the Indian Military section. I'll post it here since related topics have been discussed here in the past. Hopefully, I am not re-posting this.

Saab, Tata Team Up to Develop Fighter Jet
By AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE
Published: 9 Feb 12:37 EST (17:37 GMT)
Print Print | Print Email

BANGALORE - Swedish aeronautics maker Saab said Feb. 9 it had tied up with India's Tata group to develop a new variant of its Gripen fighter jet as it pitches for a 12-billion-dollar deal from New Delhi.

Saab executive Kjell Moller said the tie-up with Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) was not only aimed at jointly developing the Gripen but also at getting a chance at the biggest fighter jet deal in the world in years.

The Swedish company is competing with firms from Russia, Europe and the United States to sell 126 warplanes to the Indian air force.

India, which will begin trials in April of the shortlisted jets including the Gripen, has said it will buy about two dozen units in flyaway condition and manufacture the remaining 100 or so planes at a local state-run facility here.

"We will transfer technology and competencies to TCS, which will play a key role in the development of the next-generation Gripen and other products," Moller said ahead of the air show this week in Bangalore.

"The contract will continue irrespective of us getting the Indian order," the Saab vice president said.

U.S.-based Lockheed Martin's F-16 and Boeing's F-18 Superhornet have emerged as the front-runners for the Indian contract, industry sources said.

The European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company (EADS) has offered its Typhoon Eurofighter. France's Dassault, which makes the Mirage, has put forward its Rafale.

Russian manufacturers of the MiG-35 and MiG-29 are also in the race along with Saab.

The Indian air force - the fourth largest in the world - has 51 Mirage-2000 war planes made by Dassault with electronics from Thales that need a major upgrade.

Saab, Tata Team Up to Develop Fighter Jet - Defense News

Very interesting. India is definitely becoming a hotspot for defence aviation, for good or bad. Could be a prime example of strong economy equals strong defence, or perhaps, too many cooks spoil the stew / Jack of all trade is master of none.

I'll start the discussion. India is definitely trying to catch up with China within the region, particularly in the self-reliance of its defence forces. If this deal goes through, India will be producing Su-30MKI (under license), MRCA winner (probably under ToT) and a brand new aircraft with Gripen. This would be an incredible boost for their defence and indigenous capabilities, specifically because the sphere of technology they will have access to will be unprecedented. They will probably be the only country in the world with credible experience in poducing Russian, European, Indian and, possibly, American jets.

As for Pakistan, we have the JF-17, ofcourse, and the prospect of further collaboration with China on newer aircrafts and some European countries in upgrades. In addition, the PAC is developing a reputation abroad for being a valuable asset for aircraft production, considering that Boeing is already interested in producing parts there. The private sector, however, has been quiet in these areas, mainly due to the internal turmoil and the economic situation. In any case, it is safe to assume that Pakistan is not ready to be left behind in the race for self-reliance of defence.

Overall, I see some very quick developments in the indigenous defence capabilities in this region (China, India, Pakistan), and the times ahead are definitely going to be very interesting for engineers, scientists and patriots of the nations, in general.

what happens if Grippen does not win the MRCA?

How many other customers are there for the new grippen?

what happens if Grippen does not win the MRCA?

How many other customers are there for the new grippen?

Don't know what would happen if SAAB loses the MMRCA contract. But a clause in the MMRCA deal states that a portion of the money has to be returned to Indian industries by employing them in the development/production of the concerned aircraft. Hence this pact between TATA and SAAB. Other companies too are in the market looking for prospective partners.

Now if the MMRCA does not go to SAAB I really don't know whether their deal with TATA still stands. But it would not be a bad idea to continue that collaboration for they will get a foothold in the lucrative Indian defense market. Not to mention the awesome R&D, logistics and manufacturing capabilities of TATA!!

~ Moriarty

The only customer for the new Gripen in can think of is Brazil. The gripen, Rafale, and Super Hornet were shortlisted for FX-2 competition. I know a couple of countries are leasing the Gripen with the option to buy them. I would assume that they would take the Gripen NG once the leases start to end. Also the Gripen NG right now is still in the testing phase. They have been testing the METEOR and the new AESA on it, so its still a while away from induction in any airforce.

Now if the MMRCA does not go to SAAB I really don't know whether their deal with TATA still stands. But it would not be a bad idea to continue that collaboration for they will get a foothold in the lucrative Indian defense market. Not to mention the awesome R&D, logistics and manufacturing capabilities of TATA!!

~ Moriarty

In the article it states that this deal is independent of the MRCA competition, but I find that a little difficult to believe, we'll see.

Also, the R&D and manufacturing capabilities of Tata, in the defence aviation industry, are almost zero. The entire purpose of this deal with Gripen is to build the expertise and infrastructure, and provide them with a permanent position within one of the largest defence markets in the world.

In the article it states that this deal is independent of the MRCA competition, but I find that a little difficult to believe, we'll see.

Also, the R&D and manufacturing capabilities of Tata, in the defence aviation industry, are almost zero. The entire purpose of this deal with Gripen is to build the expertise and infrastructure, and provide them with a permanent position within one of the largest defence markets in the world.

Yes the article does state that, thats why I said I dont know if the collaboration would still stand if the MMRCA does not go SAAB's way.

TATA's R&D experience in defense aviation is not entirely nil. TATA does develop many subsystems on many platforms. TCS is also involved in developing some parts of the avionics packages on some aircrafts, albeit in collaboration. And coupled with that is, some of the best Indian minds work for TATA. So they would not have problems in assimilating and developing new technologies.

Anyway, a collaboration with TATA would be very fruitful for SAAB and the Indian defense industry in the long run. A win-win situation, if you may.

~ Moriarty

This deal mainly is for MRCA. Incase MRCA does not go Saab's way than the chances of progress are slim. Saab would not pitch fighters built in India for customers because this way job losses in Sweden shall take place and Saab would be criticized back home.

India would also not be buying fighters in large numbers after MRCA decision is taken therefore cost involved in such a project can not be justified without potential buyers.

However one ray of light is that India is thinking of an indigineous MCA project after LCA. In case that project goes their way they have a reason for continuing the collaboration.

some of the best Indian minds work for TATA. So they would not have problems in assimilating and developing new technologies.

~ Moriarty

Oh I don't doubt for a second that the skilled engineers and scientists in India will not be able to learn and adapt and even develop. My point was just that it would not be correct to assume that Tata will jump right into it with ease because they have had some basic aviation and automotive experience. In any case, I hope this turns out to be a good deal for India, but my priorities still lie with Pakistan, and I think something will definitely be done to counter it by the Pakistanis. "Defence is all about measure and counter measure," in the words of an ex-American General (don't remember the name), so it will be interesting to see what counter measures Pakistan takes.

I think deals of this sort are only contingent upon the final outcome of the MRCA deal. This contract has an industrial offset clause built into it whereby the company has to invest a significant portion of the money (I think 40% or so) back into India. Hence each of the contenders: MIG/RAC, BAE/EADS, Dassault, Boeing, Lockheed Martin and SAAB were asked to lay the groundwork for local partnerships in the event they were to end up being the winner. The article here IMO is merely stating SAAB's tentative agreement with their local collaborator if they win the MRCA contract.

Back
Top Bottom