What's new

S.Korea to install 300MW solar projects

It is understandable to see why Baluchistan is suffering energy crisis the most. Look at the contrast. It is Pakistan's biggest province in size but the population is just 13 million. It is clear that there is less concentration. I mean from this angle you are looking at homes being kilometres apart from one another and the cost to supply each with a resource becomes very costly. From my point of view, the province needs to become dense as it would become easier to reach out to citizens.

The demand is true, and the installed capacity is also true.

That's the beauty of it! pakistan is the only country which has the installed capacity but not enough production. The case here is that there is not enough money.

I think the payment collections, corruption, defective equipments installed are a problem, you need to first get your basics right before increasing capacity which will only multiply the problem rather than reducing.

The Korean company will do a feasibility of ROI and if it looks bad they will think twice.

Wapda is in debt to PSO, the IPP's have there problems, PEPCO is in debt to WAPDA, and alot of other organizations. Every department is in debt to another and a vicious cycle. There is the problem of economy not producing enough money so that electricity could be produced. people don't pay bills, etc etc and there is shortage of funds and money to buy oil.

Normally bad debt money management over a period of time comes to bite back.

people with houses of 2 A/C's, lights, and TV fan etc etc are running there houses on Solar, and as I said, recovered the cost in a couple of years, although they still have a electricity line and do often get support from there, but not enough to drastically increase the bill.

A person who pays 80k of electricity bills a month, then also the 20k cost of gas generator, feels better to install solar panels in his house. That is what i have seen.

Small compliments, like Solar water heater, and other things can also do wonders to your electricity and gas bill in the winter.

That's what I said, solar units helps in reducing dependency and can charge up batteries if there is a back up unit attached to the house, the overall power bills may come down by 25%. But actually putting up Solar farms is not feasible if you are not looking for carbon credits owing to cost to output ratio.

I think the payment collections, corruption, defective equipments installed are a problem, you need to first get your basics right before increasing capacity which will only multiply the problem rather than reducing.

The Korean company will do a feasibility of ROI and if it looks bad they will think twice.

Normally bad debt money management over a period of time comes to bite back.

That's what I said, solar units helps in reducing dependency and can charge up batteries if there is a back up unit attached to the house, the overall power bills may come down by 25%. But actually putting up Solar farms is not feasible if you are not looking for carbon credits owing to cost to output ratio.

Agree with you said on the top part. It is a result of poor policies and management, corruption etc etc.

Now onto the last paragraph, the lowering in cost is not 25%, it is to the tune of 70-80%.

Agree with you said on the top part. It is a result of poor policies and management, corruption etc etc.

Now onto the last paragraph, the lowering in cost is not 25%, it is to the tune of 70-80%.

Normally one talks on averages and not few instances, the output will depend on the installed unit and majority of households having space and financial constraints will see a savings on an average of 25% the first few months and the savings will reduce in the consequent months owing to wear and tear and maintenance issues.

Normally one talks on averages and not few instances, the output will depend on the installed unit and majority of households having space and financial constraints will see a savings on an average of 25% the first few months and the savings will reduce in the consequent months owing to wear and tear and maintenance issues.

The people who will be installing solar panels will not be the people in lower middle class. They will be upper middle class and above. Now those people do have the finance to put 80% of their house on solar and save electricity bills of 80k per month. And then recover the initial investment. For lower levels, your argument proves true.

I have seen people who save a lac rupees per month because of Solar panels, and they are not maintenance hungry

The people who will be installing solar panels will not be the people in lower middle class. They will be upper middle class and above. Now those people do have the finance to put 80% of their house on solar and save electricity bills of 80k per month. And then recover the initial investment. For lower levels, your argument proves true.

I have seen people who save a lac rupees per month because of Solar panels, and they are not maintenance hungry

How will it decrease dependency overall when majority are from the lower strata? some unique households use complete 100% solar and wind to satisfy their energy needs, there are houses that do not require any electricity during the day and have stored energy from solar and wind for use after sunset. They go as far as to not use any fossil fuel or gas and electric lines.

I am considering it on an actual scale that would help solve the problem for the majority.

Well, Bunji dam has 7000 MW capacity i think.

?????????? :undecided:

U got confused.

I have said that coal based power plant is the need of the hour and u have posted the fairly tail of a dam on disputed kashmir.

Read again. Even 7000 MW won't solve ur problem even if it get build by any chances.

The need is to build as many as coal based power plants. Because after few years world bank, ADB, IMF will not fund coal based power plants.

And other options are very expensive.

How will it decrease dependency overall when majority are from the lower strata? some unique households use complete 100% solar and wind to satisfy their energy needs, there are houses that do not require any electricity during the day and have stored energy from solar and wind for use after sunset. They go as far as to not use any fossil fuel or gas and electric lines.

I am considering it on an actual scale that would help solve the problem for the majority.

I am not considering it on the mass scale. The mass scale usage of solar does give problems that you mentioned, and it also needs alot of government support.

Middle class and upper class can and do use solar to satisfy their needs. Solar is a very very new concept in Pakistan at this moment though.

?????????? :undecided:

U got confused.

I have said that coal based power plant is the need of the hour and u have posted the fairly tail of a dam on disputed kashmir.

Read again. Even 7000 MW won't solve ur problem even if it get build by any chances.

The need is to build as many as coal based power plants. Because after few years world bank, ADB, IMF will not fund coal based power plants.

And other options are very expensive.

1. pakistan should learn from India we are building UMPP - The Ultra Mega Power projects, each with a capacity of 4000 megawatts or above.

2. Based on supercritical technology, 16,000 MW of capacity has been contracted through the competitive bidding process for UMPPs.

3. The average tariff for these projects is in the range of 2 to 3 Rs per unit which is much lower than the recent cost plus tariffs.

4. Every 4000 MW UMPP power plants costs US$ 3.5 billion each.

Tata Power's Mundra ultra mega power project starts operation - Economic Times

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/econom...all-300mw-solar-projects-2.html#ixzz22yxtURWb

This is your post. Where did you mention coal based? You said UMPP, and you put 4000MW production facilities in that category, so 7000 MW qualifies as a mega project.

As for putting coal as our priority, agreed totally. vast reserves of coal, and a potential of 100k MW

1500 acres for 300MW....!!!

guys, we are the biggest countries in the world in terms of population….we have to ensure we have enough land to produce food grains for our own consumption…if we get hooked into green revolution at this stage, we will have hard time to face in future!

Go, use Coal, Nuke ....It is not us who have created this so called global warming….they lived like King, they want to live like King but what about us?

I am not considering it on the mass scale. The mass scale usage of solar does give problems that you mentioned, and it also needs alot of government support.

Middle class and upper class can and do use solar to satisfy their needs. Solar is a very very new concept in Pakistan at this moment though.

For individuals it's a good idea definitely and as the tech improves so will the savings, people are working on generating electricity for an entire household from 4 liters of water and a leaf shaped filament that is kept dipped in the water, this research is in the experimental stage if its successful and it is f - (it's being researched by a team of Indian/ British and Canadian scientists privately, were independent but later on joined together) then we wouldn't require solar as well.

One word of caution here - traditional Solar farms do increase the temperature in its vicinity exponentially.

Punjab need Nuclear power plants around, because Punjab don't have much place for hyderal electricity, while Solar panels can't do much for Punjab, as per the requirements. Neither Punjab have many place for wind. So the only solution for Punjab Cities is Nuclear Power Plants around the cities. Which can generate much more power then any. (Keep in mind London has 4 Nuclear Plant to fullfill only London's need)

Shahbaz did started this solar compaign in 2011, but that didn't work out eventually because it couldn't generate more power as compare to it's initial cost, also Land Required is much more.

@Topic.

This is good initiative, for Baluchistan, but the better would have been the technology transfer. So that cost would have reduced, and also the investment from S. Korea will go into their own pockets in the end due to their own products.

For individuals it's a good idea definitely and as the tech improves so will the savings, people are working on generating electricity for an entire household from 4 liters of water and a leaf lshaped filament that is kept dipped in the water, this research is in the experimental stage if its successful and it is f - (it's being researched by a team of Indian/ British and Canadian scientists privately, were independent but later on joined together) then we wouldn't require solar as well.

One word of caution here - traditional Solar farms do increase the temperature in its vicinity exponentially.

agreed.

BTW, this project being near the airport, I think it will have some affect on the flights and might need CAA approval, if it is in the way of approach. (sun glare etc etc)

agreed.

BTW, this project being near the airport, I think it will have some affect on the flights and might need CAA approval, if it is in the way of approach. (sun glare etc etc)

The Koreans have claimed it's a new tech so probably would have reduced the temp, glare, cost and maintenance and might have increased the productivity per array so you never know - you need to study the product to know about it's advantages and how is it better before making a decision.

And, if it affects the airport operations then a different area should be suggested.

I have posted many dams and hydropower projects which are under construction go and check them in the thread called "Dams construction in Pakistan" Its a sticky thread.

SMALL AND BIG Dams UNDERCONSTRUCTION

Diamer Basha Dam=4500 MW

Kurram Tangi Dam Project=83.4 MW

Munda Dam Project=740 MW

Akhori Dam Project=600 MW

(HYDROPOWER PROJECTS)

Golen Gol=106 MW

Dasu=4320 MW

Bunji=7100 MW

Keyal Khwar=122 MW Completed

Palas Valley (Chor Nullah)=665 MW Completed

Spat Gah=496 MW Completed