What's new

Russian Proton-M Rocket Explodes On Take-Off

At least, China-made rockets have a much better success rate.

As for its claim that some parts are made in China, I do not know. However, the reality is that we have more russian rockets exploded. Our China-made rockets seem to perform quite well.
Neither do we and I will concede to that. Assume the generosity for now, we do not know that if the components the Russians claimed are sub-standard, according to Russian standards, if they are designed and manufactured specifically for space flight or just supposed to be hardened for harsh environments, such as arctic or dessert or high humidity and so on. We do not know that the Russians may be incompetent in integrating foreign manufactured components into their rockets, although a possibility, I call this a remote probability.

However, coming from an R/D and manufacturing background, I do know for a fact that products destined for different clients, different client quality levels, or different countries of destination, can have different batch/lot IDs, part IDs, or even individual serial IDs. It is not beyond belief that IF China know that certain components are narrowly designed and manufactured for highly specific applications destined for Russia, quality assurance can be different (lower) from components destined for Chinese applications. If the Russians because of many factors have no choice but to rely on China for these components, there is nothing they can do other than to suffer the consequences of the vagaries of fortune.

It is not beyond belief that IF China know that certain components are narrowly designed and manufactured for highly specific applications destined for Russia, quality assurance can be different (lower) from components destined for Chinese applications.
Reminds me of what the Chinese students used to say in response to complaints about the quality of certain Chinese products, like mis-marked under-strength fasteners: "Ha-ha, you should have spent more money to buy better quality from elsewhere."

Last time, China-made equipment for Mars was on Russian rocket, though it exploded. I would not think China will sell Russia sub-standard parts to jeopardize her own mission, though joint mission with Russia.

Neither do we and I will concede to that. Assume the generosity for now, we do not know that if the components the Russians claimed are sub-standard, according to Russian standards, if they are designed and manufactured specifically for space flight or just supposed to be hardened for harsh environments, such as arctic or dessert or high humidity and so on. We do not know that the Russians may be incompetent in integrating foreign manufactured components into their rockets, although a possibility, I call this a remote probability.

However, coming from an R/D and manufacturing background, I do know for a fact that products destined for different clients, different client quality levels, or different countries of destination, can have different batch/lot IDs, part IDs, or even individual serial IDs. It is not beyond belief that IF China know that certain components are narrowly designed and manufactured for highly specific applications destined for Russia, quality assurance can be different (lower) from components destined for Chinese applications. If the Russians because of many factors have no choice but to rely on China for these components, there is nothing they can do other than to suffer the consequences of the vagaries of fortune.

Reminds me of what the Chinese students used to say in response to complaints about the quality of certain Chinese products, like mis-marked under-strength fasteners: "Ha-ha, you should have spent more money to buy better quality from elsewhere."
I used to work for Micron Technology, one of the world's few remaining memory manufacturers, on back end Burn-In testing.

Real impact of dynamic operation stress during burn-in on DRAM retention time | IEEE | AcademicPub
This item was taken from the IEEE Periodical ' Real impact of dynamic operation stress during burn-in on DRAM retention time ' The burn-in (BI) mechanism in connection with the dynamic operation stress (DOS) has been investigated to examine the real impact on dynamic random access memory (DRAM) reliablity.
We baked everything and under heat stress, we perform random read/write operations into the cells, then does full ops on every module afterwards. The best modules are reserved for what we call 'Tier 1' customers, and that includes sub-contractors for the military, which includes NASA and other assorted alphabetical agencies, although we would not know who paid for what. Lesser modules are reserved for lower tier-ed customers and who knows what they do with what they purchased. My job back then was to make sure the part lines do not mix.

YDK - Burn-in Board

On the Burn-In Board (BIB) example above, there is no way to visually tell which 'chip' is which tier. My codes had to be perfect on the board map to tell the production worker to pick out which one to go where. For Tier 1 'chips', we have a dedicated parallel line for 'military grade' products. The phrase 'military grade' is just code for selected Tier 1 products destined for additional environmental stress testing.

From this background, I have an idea of the frustration the Russians felt when it comes to high performance and reliable electronics because occasionally, we got returns with no or little explanations. We just had to re-test the modules and shelf them, waiting for re-sell as Tier 2 or lower products, even if they re-tested as Tier 1. Then came the rumors that certain customers got busted as fronts for Russian/Chinese companies and the shipments were intercepted at ports.

Even today, Russia does not have a strong semiconductor industry sector and so for 'military grade' products for their defense or space operations, the Russians have to rely pretty much exclusively on Western, which includes South Korea and Taiwan, and Chinese sources. Western sources have high restrictions on what can be exported to certain countries, Russia and China included in this list. I have no doubts that Chinese semicon companies would have similar and if the Russians have Chinese sourced electronics in their defense and space operations, they are playing dice with their lives.

oh,How come Chinese rockets are very reliable,how about Indian rockets?

There are no casualties! I can laugh at Russians for trusting made in China rocket :p

Do u got the right to laugh at China's rocket tech,since ur poorer rocket tech compare to China

Laught at others whilst u exceed them at least.,三锅

Quality of Russian-made rocket with Chinese equipments is really questionable. :D

yeah,maybe,but we have a 100 successful launch record continuously,how about ur great Indian?Before u laught at us , got a record of 50 successfully continuously launch at first.

I think that Russian journalist scapegoating Chinese component make Russian space industry look even worse.

But then that could be his intention in the first place.

Truth is we have all had our failures in the field of rocketry....this is one field that I wish EVERYONE success....it means a lot to the human race as a whole. I wish them luck on the next launch....we all should.

The problem is, there is not much alternative, if the Russians can't do it then it is bad news....'cause apart from Russia there is only America, who is very fussy about sharing its technology...

yeah indians,canadians,french and others are sending flys in to space only americans and russians are sending rockets.and china is the only supplier to them.

I used to work for Micron Technology...We baked everything and under heat stress, we perform random read/write operations into the cells, then does full ops on every module afterwards...
One can do that with electronics; it's not feasible to to that with every nut and bolt.

By the way, when I was working there NASA performed their own stress-testing on electronics received from suppliers. There were plenty of rejects, I assure you.

Back
Top Bottom