What's new

Featured Russia would be developing upgraded engines for Pakistan's JF-17 fighters

Thats a hint i think that how the current version is able to achieve t/w ratio of more than 1. thats what a PAF pilot was quoted saying but everyone disagreed at that point.

@Mani. 91kn is lots of propulsion power , if we could reduce the weight of the aircraft , we might just be able to have it supercruise like the gripen.

Aeronaut gripen c/d does not have the super cruise ability but the future gripen NG (also referred as gripen E/F) will have as it will use the General Electric F414G ( a development of the Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornet's engine) which will have a thrust at 98KN which is more than the assumed RD-93MA's 91KN , which will allow gripen NG to super cruise at a speed of 1.1 Mach

Not only the engine used by gripen NG has more thrust but as gripen NG will use a lot of composite thus reducing its weight quite a bit while the current weight of jf-17 is just marginally less than gripen c/d

While we don't know how much composites will block2 carry but extensive use of composites can definitely help jf-17 achieve super cruise capability

On the other hand English electric achieved this capability in 1954 and was the first aircraft to achieve this , the aircraft's weight was almost in ratio of 2.2:1 in empty mode while around 1.7:1 in fully loaded mode when compared with jf-17 ,with the latter being the lighter one , the former one was powered by twin engines with maximum thrust of 71KN per engine so by that yes it is definitely achievable

sir current Jf17 is lighter then Gripen D but not gripen C....Actualy Gripen D is around .7 meter longer then Gripen C....

sir current Jf17 is lighter then Gripen D but not gripen C....Actualy Gripen D is around .7 meter longer then Gripen C....

mate jf-17 is lighter than both gripen c/d , also 0.7m does not make a huge difference

The empty weight of Gripen C is 6.8 tonnes while that of Gripen D is 7.1 tonnes

I have an official pdf doc from saab regarding gripen specs but can't upload here

As I understand it this advanced version RD-93 MAis still under development, don't know how it will take. Assuming that it is available for Thunder Blockk II, l would love to see addition of atleast two more hard points, increase in internal fuel capacity and additin of IFR. These changes would make Thunder a pretty decent MR combat machine.

Question to more knowledgable, what is the constraint in mounting the gun (singlr barrel) internally and using the hard point to mount pods?

transonic drag , configuration , altitude , dry thrust to wt , inlet duct design, wing sweep might be some aspects other than thrust to wt ---- the reason i am saying this is the F-15 does have a TW greater than 1 but still can't super-cruise as far as i know

Gripen Demo , demonstrating supercruise in clean config at 28, 000 feet over the Baltic Sea
Gripen Supercruises
gripen-demo-supercruise-bg.jpg

This poster is for all those who said it was fake and no RD-93 will be upgraded

Actually that poster confused more Pakistani members, which thought that RD93 already produces 98kN thrust, but as I said, it just shows the thrust range or potential of the engine and the RD33 base and any further upgrade of RD93 will be related to the RD90 MK version.

However, we should keep in mind that this upgrade has no funding as of yet and more importantly, any interest in the engine upgrade might have to be paid by PAF alone, since China will go for their own engines, if they for for FC1 at all. Not to mention that this version would need further time to be developed, tested and integrated into JF17, which makes an integration into Block 2 unlikely, be it for time or cost-reasons.

Also interesting is this:

The contract is half-complete, and the deliveries shall resume as soon as the customer submits its request

So engines for Block 1 delivered, but production for Block 2 still awaits customer request?

jf-17 current version has higher T/W ratio then gripen c
and if with new engine it willl have better than gripen NG(if it ever develops!).
however whether it would supercruise or not depends upon other factors too

Bhai it is obvious jf17 is getting new engine because the structure is able to withstand more than 4500kg of payload . let the china develope a suitable or Russian new engine variant of rd93 comes... than u will see urself ... calculate urself the difference b/w new and current variant that will give adverse effect on jf17 overall performance

Sir pshamims latest posts about the engine change hasthrown more light on the subject.Apparently the problem is not on the russian side but in the Sinopak quarter, where opposition to the sale of JFT to egypt and Rosoboron'subsequent request to the russian govtt to stop RD93export to china did not go down too well. This is ahuge order andlooking for alternatives could end in klimov loosing out big time. So it seems it is now the russkies turn to swet a bit and await outcome of further negotiations. JFT lives on in interesting times indeed!!!
Araz

transonic drag , configuration , altitude , dry thrust to wt , inlet duct design, wing sweep might be some aspects other than thrust to wt ---- the reason i am saying this is the F-15 does have a TW greater than 1 but still can't super-cruise as far as i know

Gripen Demo , demonstrating supercruise in clean config at 28, 000 feet over the Baltic Sea
Gripen Supercruises
gripen-demo-supercruise-bg.jpg

ANTI BODY "you become a real professional . . "
i know when you came to this forum and this post of yours . .. . you knowledge increased dramatically man . .. .

Back
Top Bottom