What's new

Russia-Ukraine War - News and Developments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah we will see that. Right now things are not looking good for bigger economies.

OK, make your forecast for one year about Russia.

Do you see riots on streets and govt change in Kremlin till March 2023?
By March 2023?

If Putin wins... (I expect him to win the war inevitably)

I expect massive protests, but I expect Putin to survive. I also expect that a lot of people are gonna end up dead, and the military is gonna go through a purge of sorts.

If Putin loses...(I don't think he'll lose, but his reputation will take a beating)

I expect there to be a push within influential parts of Russian power circles to remove Putin. We could very well see a coup take place, either funded by the oligarchs which Putin screwed with this war, or by an upset military he's sent into Ukraine, clearly unprepared.

Sounds like a colossal mistake to try to take Kiev or even threaten Kiev. Should have concentrated on eastern Ukraine and southern/coastal Ukraine and bargained to get neutrality from Ukraine.

Russia has placed 4 demands. Neutrality is only one of them.

I'll be honest western coverage of this war has me wanting Ukrainians to suffer
Do yourself a favor, turn off the internet, and take a walk. Do come back on until you feel better.

What the fuk... This is hotbed of terrorism. Russia really needs to let go of the mercy angle and come down hard on cities and infrastrastructure as this is breach of international law
Oh really? What law would that be?

I've said it before, the Russians simply don't have the man power to maintain an occupation of major cities. They can't afford to keep a large enough force in them to maintain order, because they need to move on to their next objectives, leaving behind a token force which will inevitably get crushed.

The Russians can take villages, due to the fact that the Ukrainians don't even seem to be trying to contest small villages. The Ukrainians know their major advantage is the cities, the terrain, and the fact that Russian forces are having to stretch their troops thin across the occupied territories. The more the Russians occupy, the worse the situation becomes for them.

The fact that the Ukrainians are on the defensive, yet have enough forces to match the Russians 1:1 is a huge blessing for them. They can spare troops to harass enemy lines, or even attempt retakes of occupied territory where Russian troops are thinning out.

@That Guy @jhungary just how much forces do Russians have in the South now?

There were around 14 BTGs stationed in Crimea before action started. Were they reinforced at the last moment?

In 90s there was a time when 1 US $ was traded like 50,000 Rubles.

Russia survived those times. This is nothing in comparison!
When did that happen?

Russian economic meltdown occurred in 1998:

But Russian economy slowly recovered under Vladimir Putin:

Russian economy became 5th largest in the world for a time. This changed when Putin decided to intervene in Ukraine in 2014 which resulted in USA imposing well-calculated sanctions on Russia due to which Russian economy dropped from 5th spot to 11th spot in the (2014 - 2021) period.

But the WEST is escalating sanctions to a whole new level for Russia now:

Survival is not the point - countries like Somalia also exist.

Point is that Russia is facing crippling sanctions and will loose much of its hard-earned gains if the trend continues. Even Russian oligarchs are in trouble this time due to confiscation of their overseas assets and more.

Cost of living and life-styles of people have changed a lot since the 1990s.

By March 2023?

If Putin wins... (I expect him to win the war inevitably)

I expect massive protests, but I expect Putin to survive. I also expect that a lot of people are gonna end up dead, and the military is gonna go through a purge of sorts.

If Putin loses...(I don't think he'll lose, but his reputation will take a beating)

I expect there to be a push within influential parts of Russian power circles to remove Putin. We could very well see a coup take place, either funded by the oligarchs which Putin screwed with this war, or by an upset military he's sent into Ukraine, clearly unprepared.

And you dont see any scenario like this:

- Russia wins, Putin continues as president and there are no significant riots or massive protests (with massive protests we mean 100s of thousands of people in cities around Russia) and Russian economy starts to recover?

?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom