What's new

Russia-Ukraine War - News and Developments

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have another question then - why are they flying within manpad range? Is that something they have to do in order to provide CAS?

I would have assumed that strikes against static targets could be conducted using longer range stand off weaponry?
No choice. Close Air Support means exactly that -- CLOSE.

Battlefield details are lost with increasing altitude and speed. Above 10K ft or roughly above 3000 meters, I can have the "God's Eye" view of the area, but it is difficult, if not impossible, for me to figure out the IFF ground lines, in other words, I cannot ID out Friend from Foe. So I have no choice but to descent and slow down, which put me into MANPADS' operational parameters.

Sometimes a Friend will call a 'danger close' delivery so I have to know where/when to pickle. To be 'danger close' mean you are at risk from my munition. That mean I have to descent and slow down to visually see where you want the delivery. Further, I have limited munition, so the more precise the delivery, the greater the odds of your survival, so again, I have to descent and slow down.

The advantage that jets have over helos is acceleration after delivery. If you look closely at how a helo need to accelerate, especially from hover, you will see the helo tilt slightly nose down to use rotor air to push the aircraft forward. There is a slight pause in the motion. Jets do not have that delay. As soon as I pickled, I will throttle forward will pick up speed immediately, giving me an increase odds of escaping out of the MANPADS' operational parameters. Does not guarantee, but I need every edge I can get. If there is sufficient lower altitude, I will even dive to gain speed and if there are topos like low hills nearby, diving into the valleys between the hill tops can give me cover from the MANPADS' IR seeker. So what happens is that my engine's IR is being strobed from the terrain and my flares adds to the IR sources. The F-16's engine is actually seen more as an IR stream while the A-10 guys are seen as diffused blobs, so the F-16 is worse off.

There are a lot of hypothetical scenarios where bombers can deliver bombs that are 'smart' enough to take on CAS, but that day is not yet here. So for now, CAS must be low and slow.

🎶

Slow ride, take it easy
Slow ride, take it easy
Slow down, go down, got to get your lovin' one more time
Hold me, roll me, slow ridin' woman you're so fine

🎶

What does it matter who has the most powerful nuclear weapons? We all lose if it gets to that!
I think you misunderstood me, I did not talk about the power of Nuclear weapons of any country, and yes we can not even imagine the results, if a nuclear exchange happens.

In 1979, Soviet Russia entered Afghanistan, with its consequences the USSR broke up, Now it has entered Ukraine, with the consequences the Russian Federation will dissolve. This is the West's plan. We'll see if they can achieve this, but the fact we cant sure that this plan is supported/influenced by a conspiracy against Putin within Russia is unlikely given the incomprehensible mistakes within Russia lately. Something is going on in Ukraine, something that cannot be experienced in the face of such a weak enemy, and for me, most of Russians too, can not understand what is happening.

Showing Ukraine completely open to attack. Then there's NATO's rapid development of action, which seems so messy until Russian war decision. Even all of Zelenski's statements. I think it's all the product of a common strategy.
People will laugh at me but once the heavy artillery starts pounding the major cities and large scale civilian casualties start taking place on peoples tv screens, public opinion will demand intervention regardless of the cost. Members of NATO may then get involved in stopping this invasion..

No one is scared of Russia‘s conventional threat - only nukes.

A lot of conventions have been breached by a lot of countries in the last few days, and there will be more before this is over.

russians know this is a risk and why they have not used their airforce much - they are saving them for a face off with NATO ( imho …….. )

there is a very fine line here..

Last edited:
The actual number is expected to be close to 1.3 million, but there is so much confusion and due to the it systems breaking down due to the numbers of people leaving Ukraine both Poland and Hungary are resorting to using paper records which are notoriously erroneous and prone to poor data integrity.

The final numbers will be much higher.

As expected, the Hungarians are sitting on the fence and spooked by the knee knocking from Georgia.

Damn Coca-Cola they’ve got product placement everywhere 😂

No one is scared of Russia‘s conventional threat - only nukes.
You had me rolling on the floor when you said that no one is scared of Russia's conventional threats.

In 5 days, they have managed to occupy a territory that is equal to 4 small European countries. I have many European friends, they are scared shitless right now.
And Ukraine is still one of the better prepared European countries. How many small European countries do you think Russia can invade in a week? My guess would be 5, at least.

Baltic countries would fall like autumn leaves. And let's not forget that Russia is not employing even 20% of its active personnel for this. Russia has over 3 million professionally trained personnel, including 2 million reserved personnel and 1 million active personnel. Add millions of Russian patriots and Russophile Slavs to a potential large scale war as well. And then add Russia's newer military equipment that haven't been used yet as well. It's beyond laughable to say that no one is scared of Russia's conventional capabilities.

I feel bad about Ukrainian army. All they can do is hit and run. This army is really outgunned. What was their leadership doing all of those years and didn't prepare their armed forces for battle like this one?

Ukrainian leadership has really missed a great opportunity: They should've opted non-aligned status and refused any Western influences that were setting them against Russia. With such an apparent weakness, they should've opted as the same status as Switzerland, Finland, and Sweden.

Sports should never be political or choose sides. Shame on UEFA and FIFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom