What's new

Russia-Ukraine War - News and Developments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very bad comparison, if we wanted to kill the Afghan children, they would all be dead, not 20 years later and people scrambling for their lives even cling on to C-17s on the outside asking Afghan children murderers to take them to go back to the states.
6156cbe1b414c100186341b5

If you keep insisting on something like that, I am sorry but I have lost my interest even to see such comments worthy to react. You have no idea as what's being said. You are only confronting merely for the sake of it. You are totally unaware about what I said earlier or you are deliberately avoiding but replying for the sake of it. I am not very fond of such behavior especially if one becomes isolated and even consider the point being raised.

if you want to get technical and legal, a 'civilian' can still be a legal combatant. The correct word is 'non-combatant'. But we can use 'civilian' to be 'non-combatant' for ease of discussion. I know that people love to levy the war crime charge at US but am going to indulge the discussion.

The deaths of civilians in an attack can be construed as a war crime IF the intention was to kill civilians. Yes, I know people are going to gleefully jump in with the US bombing in WW II as the typical 'Gotcha' moment. :rolleyes: But the current Geneva Convention as enforcible laws were created post WW II. So let us remain on topic.

If civilian deaths were accidental or 'collateral damages', then even though the event itself can be construed as a war crime, the attacker(s) cannot be charged with a war crime. Flawed intelligence is on the receiving side, not from the source. So when/if the attackers were given flawed intelligence when the intel were deliberately deceitful, the attacker(s) cannot be charged with a war crime.
Geez, a lot of ''legal'' magic words to justify droning of innocent children.

If you keep insisting on something like that, I am sorry but I have lost my interest even to see such comments worthy to react. You have no idea as what's being said. You are only confronting merely for the sake of it. You are totally unaware about what I said earlier or you are deliberately avoiding but replying for the sake of it. I am not very fond of such behavior especially if one becomes isolated and even consider the point being raised.
I must admit, I am not an Afghan or an Afghan sympathizer, but that post really angered me, highly insensitive, considering they created the whole mess in the first place and had a DUTY of care to evacuate their contractors who had been promised visa's and their dependents who had been offered the same.

I just cannot stomach their supercilious vanity anymore.

if you want to get technical and legal, a 'civilian' can still be a legal combatant. The correct word is 'non-combatant'. But we can use 'civilian' to be 'non-combatant' for ease of discussion. I know that people love to levy the war crime charge at US but am going to indulge the discussion.

The deaths of civilians in an attack can be construed as a war crime IF the intention was to kill civilians. Yes, I know people are going to gleefully jump in with the US bombing in WW II as the typical 'Gotcha' moment. :rolleyes: But the current Geneva Convention as enforcible laws were created post WW II. So let us remain on topic.

If civilian deaths were accidental or 'collateral damages', then even though the event itself can be construed as a war crime, the attacker(s) cannot be charged with a war crime. Flawed intelligence is on the receiving side, not from the source. So when/if the attackers were given flawed intelligence when the intel were deliberately deceitful, the attacker(s) cannot be charged with a war crime.

A lot of Technical and legal comes if I am the offending side. If it's someone else at receiving end, that's called war crime. I referred the very recent incident from Afghanistan and you know it well. However, I don't blame since it was an American drone. Collateral is a definition for US in this regard. Then on other hand, Russians may be given the advantage of the same as well.

Please, let's get back to the topic in hand.

"journalist Seymour Hersh, citing American witnesses, alleged that a platoon of U.S. Bradley Fighting Vehicles from the 1st Brigade, 24th Infantry Division opened fire on a large group of more than 350 disarmed Iraqi soldiers who had surrendered at a makeshift military checkpoint after fleeing the devastation on Highway 8 on February 27, apparently hitting some or all of them. The U.S. Military Intelligence personnel who were manning the checkpoint claimed they too were fired on from the same vehicles and barely fled by car during the incident."

Source:

View attachment 819099
If it was true that the Iraqi soldiers were unarmed, either by self or from someone else, then KNOWINGLY killing them after it was ascertained that the Iraqis were unarmed, qualified as a war crime.

If it was true that the Iraqi soldiers were unarmed, either by self or from someone else, then KNOWINGLY killing them after it was ascertained that the Iraqis were unarmed, qualified as a war crime.
It was published in the New Yorker. Not Dawn.com or India Today... The New Yorker!

What more proof do you need, I have linked the archived document in my previous post.

Do read it!

Sorry, but the @Oldman1 does have a point. Back in Desert Storm, we were briefed as to what qualified as a legal combatant, because, like it or not, Muslim militaries do not see any separation between 'soldier' and 'civilian'. That may offends some people but that is for a different debate. I still have my folder of that brief to this day.

A retreating enemy force DOES NOT qualify as "hors de combat" or out of action, especially if that enemy force is still fully armed, which the retreating Iraqi force were.

The tank busters had a question regarding the tank's legitimacy as a target. The tank is treated like a rifle. If the crew is out of the tank, that would be the equivalent of an infantryman dropping his rifle. That would be hors de combat. But if the tank is rolling, we do not know if the tank is still ammo-ed and/or under orders to conduct combat, hence, a rolling tank is a legitimate target, even if the tank is rolling in retreat. If any moving vehicle display the white flag, which is universally regarded as a signal to surrender, then it is up to the individual to make the call and situations like this are problematic. A tank is an offensive platform. A car is not, even though it can be turned into a weapon. A rolling tank displaying a white flag would not convince anyone that it is hors de combat, even if the crew is outside on the shell. So for any vehicle that was originally designed for combat, the best way for the crew to survive is to abandon it.

In order to fully qualify as hors de combat you must be VISIBLY disarmed. In the case of an airborne combatant, like my F-16, dropping the landing gear is a VISIBLE sign of taking myself out of combat. The moment I raise gear, that is a sign that I put myself back into combatant status.
Maybe you would like to submit this folder for a war crime investigation?-" I still have my folder of that brief to this day."

Here is a tricky question for you since this time around, situation is bit complex than ever before....
India is supporting Russia and
Indian volunteer is fighting for Ukraine

Now, what will be the result in this situation?

I have an answer and I can explain that but will discuss later 😜
You mean this?

1645920196977.png

Maybe you would like to submit this folder for a war crime investigation?-" I still have my folder of that brief to this day."

I love how Oldman and Gabit ignored this article:

"journalist Seymour Hersh, citing American witnesses, alleged that a platoon of U.S. Bradley Fighting Vehicles from the 1st Brigade, 24th Infantry Division opened fire on a large group of more than 350 disarmed Iraqi soldiers who had surrendered at a makeshift military checkpoint after fleeing the devastation on Highway 8 on February 27, apparently hitting some or all of them. The U.S. Military Intelligence personnel who were manning the checkpoint claimed they too were fired on from the same vehicles and barely fled by car during the incident."

Source:

Overwhelming Force

ANNALS OF WAR about the Persian Gulf War, and reports by servicement of massacres which took place under the command of Gen. Barry McCaffrey...
www.newyorker.com
www.newyorker.com

1645920303226.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom