What's new

Russia-Ukraine War - News and Developments

Status
Not open for further replies.
That seems incredibly impractical. Have to train crews to use them which takes forever, Have to get them there which is a pain in the neck and takes forever. Have to also send all of the support staff and vehicles which is a pain in the *** and will take forever and then for what? In a defensive war that is a siege tanks have some severe disadvantages.
Again, as a M1 Tanker (well, I never drove an M1 beside in training, I went the Bradley route) myself, training and servicing is not really the problem. X recruit (The non-assigned just over basic) took 39 days in Fort Benning to become a tanker. That's how long it take for a person have no knowledge how a tank work before to a proficient tanker. Given the fact that, if they are doing it, they are most likely sending experienced crew to train with Abrams in Fort Benning, a lot of the operational classroom can possible forego and focus more on field training (Even our tanker only get 4 days field gunnery training)

Servicing again is not really a problem, there are already US M1 Abrams in Poland, which mean they are going to bring in field maintenance and other support structure in Poland, so the maintenance base is only about 400km away, not that bad actually.

And in Eastern Front, you will need tank to go after Russian tank, you have to cover a large distant without cover, that is not infantry country, that is tank country, and with smaller force, Ukraine are most likely looking for a mobility warfare, which make tank more important.

Again my concern is how they are going to use that on their own doctrine, tank design around doctrine, Ukrainian tanker have a different mindset than US tanker.

Again, as a M1 Tanker (well, I never drove an M1 beside in training, I went the Bradley route) myself, training and servicing is not really the problem. X recruit (The non-assigned just over basic) took 39 days in Fort Benning to become a tanker. That's how long it take for a person have no knowledge how a tank work before to a proficient tanker. Given the fact that, if they are doing it, they are most likely sending experienced crew to train with Abrams in Fort Benning, a lot of the operational classroom can possible forego and focus more on field training (Even our tanker only get 4 days field gunnery training)

Servicing again is not really a problem, there are already US M1 Abrams in Poland, which mean they are going to bring in field maintenance and other support structure in Poland, so the maintenance base is only about 400km away, not that bad actually.

And in Eastern Front, you will need tank to go after Russian tank, you have to cover a large distant without cover, that is not infantry country, that is tank country, and with smaller force, Ukraine are most likely looking for a mobility warfare, which make tank more important.

Again my concern is how they are going to use that on their own doctrine, tank design around doctrine, Ukrainian tanker have a different mindset than US tanker.

It’s just that Ukraine is not trying to fight the Russians in a major stand-up tank battle because they will lose war of attrition. Ukraine is trying to fight in small units using mobile weaponry and trying to preserve their tanks.

It’s just that Ukraine is not trying to fight the Russians in a major stand-up tank battle because they will lose war of attrition. Ukraine is trying to fight in small units using mobile weaponry and trying to preserve their tanks.
Well, I am not talking about tank vs tank battle a la Battle of Kursk......

The Best way to defend the East is a few mobile tank brigade that do hit and run behind Russian line. You don't fight a numerically superior force toe to toe, you fight mobile.

Think of it this way, if Ukraine have advance tank, couple with MLRS/HIMARS, they can go after Kupiansk north east of Kharkiv and hit the supply line there. When you fight a war, you extend the GLOC, and if you are defending with less troop, the logical way is to hit their GLOC instead of their main force.

Kind of late to the party.......

Already said that a few days ago when my friend spotted some in Ukraine, he incorrectly quote me they were from Denmark tho....

@Oldman1 @Wood @Paul2

A friend of mine in Ukraine Armed Force just told me if MLRS/HIMARS were delivered to the Eastern Front, it will put Kupiansk within MLRS range from Pechenihy Reservoir (Which is their front line of the Kharkiv counter attack.)

A little work from map distant calculator say it is 67.5 km distant between Pechenihy Reservoir and Kupiansk. HIMARS M30 rocket have a range of 80km.

That would no doubt change the dynamic of the war on this front.

@Oldman1 @Wood @Paul2

A friend of mine in Ukraine Armed Force just told me if MLRS/HIMARS were delivered to the Eastern Front, it will put Kupiansk within MLRS range from Pechenihy Reservoir (Which is their front line of the Kharkiv counter attack.)

A little work from map distant calculator say it is 67.5 km distant between Pechenihy Reservoir and Kupiansk. HIMARS M30 rocket have a range of 80km.

That would no doubt change the dynamic of the war on this front.

Most believe the classified range of those rockets are in excess of 100km+

Well, I am not talking about tank vs tank battle a la Battle of Kursk......

The Best way to defend the East is a few mobile tank brigade that do hit and run behind Russian line. You don't fight a numerically superior force toe to toe, you fight mobile.

Think of it this way, if Ukraine have advance tank, couple with MLRS/HIMARS, they can go after Kupiansk north east of Kharkiv and hit the supply line there. When you fight a war, you extend the GLOC, and if you are defending with less troop, the logical way is to hit their GLOC instead of their main force.

Kind of late to the party.......

Already said that a few days ago when my friend spotted some in Ukraine, he incorrectly quote me they were from Denmark tho....

In a fair fight, they probably wouldn’t, because Russia’s military is just so much bigger.But this isn’t a fair fight. Attacking is costly in terms of losses. You must advance, across terrain that is unproven, not cleared and well known to the defender. Mines, IEDs and ambush teams can start destroying your forces before you ever get to the enemy.The defender can prepare a good ambush site, hide and when the invading forces come within range, hit them hard.

Russian troops hit Kiev. A large-scale missile strike was carried out by six X-101 missiles fired by Russian strategic bombers. On the outskirts of Kiev, T-72 tanks supplied by Eastern European countries and other armored vehicles located in the buildings of the Darnitsky wagon repair company were destroyed.

The attack of the soldiers of the Russian special forces of Chechnya in Ukraine. The Ukrainian soldier ignored the offer to surrender, after which he was destroyed in battle by soldiers of the Russian special forces.

Servicemen of the 45th artillery brigade of Ukraine, published an episode of the video of the destruction of the Ukrainian UAV. The drone corrected the artillery fire of Ukraine but was destroyed by the Russian SAM.

The US Department of Defense has published footage showing M113 armored personnel carriers preparing to be sent to Ukraine. In total, Kiev will receive 200 armored personnel carriers, which have been in service with the United States since the 1960s. The American M113 APC turned out to be successful and became the most massive armored personnel carrier in history. The armored personnel carrier can carry 11 infantrymen. The body of the APC is made of aluminum armor, with the addition of manganese and magnesium. One of the unsuccessful decisions of the APC, the lack of loopholes for shooters. A large-caliber 12.7 mm Browning M2NV machine gun was installed as the main armament on the M113 APC. The range of the car is up to 480 kilometers, in new versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom