What's new

Russia-Ukraine War - News and Developments

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were meant to be about three 'pockets' of resistance left in Mariupol. I guess there are two now. The real centre is the steel mill.

War is good for Russia as long as Russian soil is not attacked. Ukrainians are cowards and they don't dare to attack Russian soil because they know the consequence. War is good real world combat training for Russian military.
Have to disagree. Any protracted war is expensive, and creates an air of uncertainty that is bad for business.

Exception is the Western Military-industrial complex.

April 7 (Reuters) - Russia's central bank said on Thursday that due to a "significant change in market conditions" it would buy gold from commercial banks at a negotiated price from April 8.

On March 25, the bank had said it would buy gold at a fixed price of 5,000 roubles a gram until June 30. read more

Since that announcement, the rouble has strengthened sharply against the dollar. Five thousand roubles was worth around $52 on March 25 and around $63 on Thursday.

Gold prices on the international market have remained stable at around $60 a gram, or $1,900 an ounce.

Russia is one of the world's biggest gold producers, but the country's refiners were barred from selling bullion into the London market, the world's largest, after the Kremlin sent troops into Ukraine in February.

($1 = 78.6830 roubles)
Wow, thats awesome. In other words, Russian central bank has just decided to confiscate gold from commercial banks.

lol now imagine if you are a Chinese investor in Russian banks. there goes your gold to the Russian central bank at massively discounted price.

Why doesn't russia try buying gold from china or anyone else? It cant, because the true value of the Ruble will be revealed.

You are wasting your time argument with a moron.

I suggest talk to average Russian international students who live in Australia and you will know the reality.

They have extreme capital controls so much so international students from Russia having hard time to bring Tution and living expenses. And in black market Russian parents buying dollar in way higher rate. Parents are forced to buy from black market to send money to these students.
Yeah exactly,

I still dont know how they send the money to their kids. I talked to one the other day and he gave me some bogus story how his tuition will be paid for by a friend in America but did not explain how what friend will be paid by his parents.

And if you are in russia, where do you buy dollars? In some dark alley?

Have to disagree. Any protracted war is expensive, and creates an air of uncertainty that is bad for business.

Exception is the Western Military-industrial complex.

US fought in Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan for decades. War is normal. Every day since dawn of humanity there is war.

At the same time, demand for FX was artificially suppressed. Russia banned cash purchases of dollars and euros, introduced a 12% commission on buying foreign currency online, and set the maximum amount that an individual could withdraw from their bank account at $10,000 until Sept. 9.

So before this new rule the commission for buying foreign currencies was 30%. wow, so you go to change your ruble for USD and a third of your money is gone.

And now Russia is relaxing this a bit, you "only" have to pay 12% commission every time you change money.

And the most you can take from from your own money is $10,000 USD. Lucky for everyone is the average Russian can only dream of having anywhere close to $10,000 USD in their bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom