What's new

Russia to deploy troops on Afghanistan-Tajikistan border

Cyberian

BANNED
Reaction score
Russia to deploy troops on Afghanistan-Tajikistan border
Friday May 17, 2013

image-300x168.jpeg

Russia is considering to deploy troops on Tajikistan-Afghanistan borders in a bid to reduce the threats of narcotics and terrorism reach Russia through former Soviet Central Asian countries.

The decision by Russia comes amid growing concerns by Moscow that the instability could grow after NATO combat troops leave the country by the end of 2014.

B]Russian ambassador to Afghanistan, Andrey Avetisyan in an interview with the Reuters news agency said, “We prefer to tackle this problem on the Afghan border to stop these threats.”

[“We used to have a serious presence on the Afghan-Tajik border and, at that time, the situation there was much better, so it would be in the interest of both Russia and Tajikistan and even Afghanistan if Russia is present there,” he said.
[/B]

Without elaborating further regarding the exact number of troops to be deployed on Tajik-Afghan border, the Russian envoy said such a presence would involve Russian border troops, however he said any agreement on border troop deployment would “of course” have to be agreed upon with Tajikistan.

Russian border guards used to patrol Tajik frontier with Afghanistan but left in 2005.

Russia to deploy troops on Afghanistan-Tajikistan border - Khaama Press (KP) | Afghan Online Newspaper

Open ur eyes & ears my Indian friends . . .
will u work together or is Russia going to watch u ...........?

Sounds like the Russians did not learn their lesson the first time around. Last time , messing around with Taliban cost them the Soviet Union.

Sounds like the Russians did not learn their lesson the first time around. Last time , messing around with Taliban cost them the Soviet Union.

Last time it was US's onerous financial and weapons support, which ousted them from Afghanistan.This time table has turned ,as both big power blocks are on same page and on top of that China has invested 3billion $ hence,she will obviously want peacefull environment .India via Iranian's Chabhar port will trade iron in and out of Afghanistan.

Sole looser as far as I am concerned seems to be Talibani Mofoes .Pakistan will also benefit from peace in the neighbour.

Peace.

Sounds more like the Russians are get a little jittery - Americans must be planning to cut and run!?

ew need a tahrir square in tajikistan--need democracy there now....

Taliban didn't matter anything to Russians. Last time it was US vs Russia. This time it's US and Russia. So there's a huge difference. Seems like US and Russia doing some secret deal to oust Talibans once and for all and guess your country will also benefit from that. Even Nazi Germany, one of the Worlds Strongest power of all time were unable to deal with their alliance, so god bless the others. I feel pity for those who finds US and Russia jointly against them.

On Topic - Good move!!

Great news, India and Russia can work well in C.Asia :cheers:

What makes you think that India will be involved in this? This has nothing to do with India and is solely a Russian decision.

Taliban didn't matter anything to Russians. Last time it was US vs Russia. This time it's US and Russia. So there's a huge difference. Seems like US and Russia doing some secret deal to oust Talibans once and for all and guess your country will also benefit from that. Even Nazi Germany, one of the Worlds Strongest power of all time were unable to deal with their alliance, so god bless the others. I feel pity for those who finds US and Russia jointly against them.

On Topic - Good move!!

Actually, the problem with Nazi Germany wasn't a Russian-US alliance, it's that they opened an eastern front at a time when they could not afford to, this cost them the war. If the Nazis didn't invade Russia and turn them into enemies, I can tell you right now that the world would be a lot different today.

What makes you think that India will be involved in this? This has nothing to do with India and is solely a Russian decision.

ya i am agree with u. but why russia wnat troops in c.asia ??? want 2 time 1980's blunder ???

ya i am agree with u. but why russia wnat troops in c.asia ??? want 2 time 1980's blunder ???

They have a massive problem of Afghan opium making it's way into Russia, they want to stop the flow of drugs. It's not like they're moving into Afghanistan, they're only going to stay at the border as a police force, nothing more.

Actually, the problem with Nazi Germany wasn't a Russian-US alliance, it's that they opened an eastern front at a time when they could not afford to, this cost them the war. If the Nazis didn't invade Russia and turn them into enemies, I can tell you right now that the world would be a lot different today.

Yeah even I think till now it's purely a Russian decision and there's no news of India striking a deal with Russia or whatever. So pulling India in it in the current situation is not really necessary.

The situation then and the situation now is lot different my friend.

Back
Top Bottom