What's new

Russia to Deliver Su-33 Fighters to China

Neo

RETIRED

New Recruit

Reaction score
Russia to Deliver Su-33 Fighters to China

Russia’s state exporter of weapons, Rosoboronexport is completing negotiations to ship to China up to 50 Su-33 jet fighters for a total worth of $2.5 billion. If the deal is ever clinched, it will be the second biggest contract for export of Russia’s armaments.
Till late this year, China will buy in Russia two Su-33 jet fighters on trial for the aircraft carrier that is currently constructed. The deal value is around $100 million, sources close to negotiations said. Bound by the very tough confidential agreements on military cooperation, Rosoboronexport doesn’t comment on the talks.

But the sources say the contract will be sealed in December in Beijing. The aircraft will be constructed by Komsomolsk-on-Amur Production Association and tested by China at the ground range and at Varyag aircraft carrier that was acquired in Ukraine in 1999 and which construction is being completed now. Russia uses Su-33 only at Admiral Kuznetsov aircraft carrier.

China intends to come up with its own aircraft carrier by 2010, equipping it with foreign jets. But it will probably attempt to design its own variant of Su-33 by using Russia's technology.

The agreed option provides for delivery of 12 more Su-33 jets. The consignment may widen to 48, stepping up the budget to $2.5 billion. Should it happen, it would be the second biggest military and technological contract of Russia, trailing in size only the $3-billion agreement for Su-30MKI license assembly in India.

“Theoretically, China can make aircraft. They have mastered license assembly of J-11, the actual Su-27SK. The question is how much it will cost and how efficient it will be in operation,” said Konstantin Makienko, an expert of Strategy and Technology Center.

http://www.kommersant.com/p715509/China_jet_fighters_export/

Su-33 is a carrier based jet. China's first carrier based jet??

sorry for going off topic, but if russia is selling 50 su-33 (and thats a 4.5 genaration advance fighter jet and that also a very good one) for only $2.5 billion then pakistan can get about 100 su-33 for $5.1billion instead off just 36 f-16's point to be noted sir

sorry for going off topic, but if russia is selling 50 su-33 (and thats a 4.5 genaration advance fighter jet and that also a very good one) for only $2.5 billion then pakistan can get about 100 su-33 for $5.1billion instead off just 36 f-16's point to be noted sir

f-16 is a multi role fighter, SU-33 is a jet based fighter, also the russians are good only at mounverabilty, they were never the bright ones in terms of avionces. Also pakistan and russia are not really what you call "friends"

Still 50 Su-33s for $2.5b sounds a bit too good to be true deal. I'd reserve my comments until this report is confirmed by more reliable sources.

I would rate the Su-33 as the current top dog in terms of carrier based interceptors. The ones in service with the Russian navy carry the phazatron Bars optimised for navalised role of the Sea flanker with a 300km surface search and track capability, and for a 3m2 target can be detected out to 100-125km..depending on the aspect...thats pretty darn good and beats the hell out of the worthless AN-APG 73 on the HornetD in any mode. Plus with a humongous and all internal fuel load gives it a heck of a more range and RCS free fuel while the F-18C/D and even the E/F will have to lug heavy/ dragy and massively reflective tanks to even come close to the Sukhoi as far as range or endurance, which is all kinetic if one factors in the combat aspect. Add in the 100km IRST Collimated to the HMS with all versions of the R-73/77 and 27 available with IR seekers. The ones in the Long range DA service aboard the Kuznetsov also are retro'd to carry the R-27P for use against AEW assets in a passive attack mode.;)

See the Su-30 has added a new dimension to aircombat in asia, and these proliferating Flankers (Su-30's in particular) are really the reason for a total upping of the bar throughout the region. It is a dangerous opponent for anything currently operational anywhere in the world, including the JSF or the F-18E/F due to arrive on the scene shortly. it enjoys an edge over both these new generation types, and sacrifices very little......

Su-33 is a carrier based jet. China's first carrier based jet??

Varyag is no longer seaworthy and has no propulsion.
Its impossible to build a carrier of that size secretly without going detected.

Whats the use of buying carrier based fighters? :confused:

This Sukhoi Su-30 is a just a bad *** fighter, whether in its su-30MK/ Mk-1, or the MKK or MKI or this su-27K/ 33 perturbations.:) .......It reperesents a capability that the Pakistani's will be working toward matching for the next decade or so if not longer. The meagre force of the soon to be acquired Blk-52's unit for unit don't really match up well against IAF's MKI's, specially when you consider that the IAF intends to have 160-200 of them operational. Also INMO the IAF will more likely than not, go with the Mig-29M-2 or the OVT to full fill the 126 new fighter requirement for the service. They already have a base for the fulcrum, and it has given sterling service over the last 25 years. INMO also the M-2 and the OVT are a better bang for the buck than the F-18E/F or even the F-16 Blk-60's, besides India is not stupid to buy American.;)

Firstly the MLU upgrades will bring the F-16 fleet to block 52 standards, top that up with Block 52's we will be getting that makes them more than a match for the MKI's along with Erieye AWACS to guide them. That will make a force of 90+ couple that with our option to buy 18 more that will be 100 and over….With the smaller air space we have to defend this will give us far more of a concentrated force than the IAF ;)

Firstly the MLU upgrades will bring the F-16 fleet to block 52 standards, top that up with Block 52's we will be getting that makes them more than a match for the MKI's along with Erieye AWACS to guide them. That will make a force of 90+ couple that with our option to buy 18 more that will be 100 and over….With the smaller air space we have to defend this will give us far more of a concentrated force than the IAF ;)

To be honest any current type in IAF's inventory (4th Gen.) can easily match anything those blk-52's bring to the table.;) the mig-29m-2 or OVT if procured will bring a lot of capability to the IAF. The IAF plans to have a final count of 200 MKI's, along with the current works to purchase and induct those 20 or so Qatari mirage-2000H's.

Current IAF front line inventory includes:

75 MKI's
78 mig-29B's
70 Mirage-2000H's

To that you can add those 126 that are on tender which will INMO are most probably going to be the M-2's or the OVT's. All equiped with either the Bars or the Zhuk Mersh as a standard package.

P.S. During Sindex at Banglore the RSAF Blk-52's were humbled by the Mk-1 Flankers of the IAF repeatedly during long range BVR shoot outs. This peformance was recently repeated against the Tornado F MK-3's ADV's also. ;) I wouldn't flap my wings about those Blk-52's at all. The Flankers and steadily improving quality of the IAF's Flanker drivers is a very interesting phenomena. One thing which stood out during the Cope India's and this Sindex or this most recent Ankush exercise was the R-77 and the phazatron Bars, and its acquisition, interpretation and dissemination of acquired target info. IAF has literally leap frogged in capability since the MKI's have been inducted into operational service. I am surprised by the improvement in IAF's pilot training and tactics employed as it has recieved nothing but applause from everyone (all highly professional AF's) involved. I am sure they have no need to bullshit or hype a third world country or its military prowess.

To be honest any current type in IAF's inventory (4th Gen.) can easily match anything those blk-52's bring to the table.;) the mig-29m-2 or OVT if procured will bring a lot of capability to the IAF. The IAF plans to have a final count of 200 MKI's, along with the current works to purchase and induct those 20 or so Qatari mirage-2000H's.

Current IAF front line inventory includes:

75 MKI's
78 mig-29B's
70 Mirage-2000H's

To that you can add those 126 that are on tender which will INMO are most probably going to be the M-2's or the OVT's. All equiped with either the Bars or the Zhuk Mersh as a standard package.

P.S. During Sindex at Banglore the RSAF Blk-52's were humbled by the Mk-1 Flankers of the IAF repeatedly during long range BVR shoot outs. This peformance was recently repeated against the Tornado F MK-3's ADV's also. ;) I wouldn't flap my wings about those Blk-52's at all. The Flankers and steadily improving quality of the IAF's Flanker drivers is a very interesting phenomena. One thing which stood out during the Cope India's and this Sindex or this most recent Ankush exercise was the R-77 and the phazatron Bars, and its acquisition, interpretation and dissemination of acquired target info. IAF has literally leap frogged in capability since the MKI's have been inducted into operational service. I am surprised by the improvement in IAF's pilot training and tactics employed as it has recieved nothing but applause from everyone (all highly professional AF's) involved. I am sure they have no need to bullshit or hype a third world country or its military prowess.

Apart from the MKI I don’t see the Mig’s or the Mirages easily matching the falcons especially at block 52 level.

75 MKI’S? The figure is around 44-50 is it not?….The production has been stopped and handed over to the Russians because of HAL’s poor progress.

There is no point in talking about the 126 craft order as the IAF has been mulling over it for years and there is not yet anything concrete. I also believe the IAF will buy American. As for the humbling part all I have never seen anything supporting that and the best I could find was this….

NEW DELHI: India need not lose sleep even if Pakistan manages to acquire more F-16 fighters from the US. After plastering American combat pilots in an exercise earlier this year, IAF top guns now have another reason to be gung ho: their top-notch mean machines have proved more than a match for F-16s, the much-vaunted 'fighting falcons'. :laugh4:

Russian-origin Sukhoi-30MKI jets are apparently outgunning American F-16s on "several aspects" at the ongoing Indo-Singapore air combat exercise in Gwalior.

This is the first-ever face-off between these two sophisticated war machines originating from the two former Cold War adversaries.

"Our Sukhois are doing very well against the F-16Cs (of Singapore Air Force) in terms of manoeuvrability, sophistication of avionics and weapon systems. Similarly, our MiG-29s and Mirage-2000s are also matching up to the F-16s," say IAF sources.

IAF is pitting even its MiG-21s, which constitute over 45% of India's combat fleet, against F-16s during the 'Sindex-Ankush' exercise in Gwalior.

"Ever since the Pakistanis acquired F-16s from the US in the mid-1980s, we wanted to size them up. So, we are matching almost all our planes with F-16s of the Singapore Air Force, which are more advanced than the F-16s of Pakistan," said sources.

The IAF has also tasked its elite combat school to develop manoeuvres for MiG-21s to elude the radar cones of F-16s.

IAF spokesperson Squadron Leader Mahesh Upasani only said, "Results of the exercise will be assessed only after the debrief. It's premature to comment at this stage."

Instead of F-16s, the US had fielded the F-15C Eagles during the Cope India-04 exercise in February. So, the decks were promptly cleared when Singapore came knocking for training facilities with its F-16s.

Say “IAF” sources, said “sources”. You do have Mahesh Upasani saying that the results would be discussed later but I didn’t see any follow on from him on how things went unless you found something?

Here is the official document below from the Singapore government about the exercise.

http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/news_and_events/nr/2004/oct/26oct04_nr/26oct04_transcript.html

As for the R-77 yes it is a great missile but I’d take the AIM-120 any day on the basis it h as been tried and tested in warfare and has actual kills under its belt unlike the R-77.

Yaar 'Waz'......you tell me that if the MKI's avionics are put on the much smaller OVT/ M-2 airframes, (which they are being marketed with anyway) and knowing that both these newer Generation Fulcrums are even more manuoeverable than the Flanker, and above all smaller in size, I can't expect anything but trouble from them.:) Have you even seen what this OVT can do??:lol: ...its just frigging amazing!

Check out the Youtube vids on this OVT.......

Here is a video of the OVT in action! This thing actually does more than the humongous Flanker, and is a great package for India's new tender for 126 combat jets.

With the Bars incorporated along with all the bells and whistles on the MKI, this thing hands down is a match for anything the F-18E/F or that F-16 blk-60 can do...Any day. I will be surprised if India buys anything other than this OVT or the even better M-2 Fulcrum.

Last edited by a moderator:
is not that cheap coz china is just buying su-33's tech not the actual plane. the $2.5 billion deal is to modify china's indigenous Su-27/J-11 production line in order to produce Su-33.

I am a chinese ,trust me ,our country will not import Su -33,because it can not fight with American F-35 effectively, When our aircraft carrier play into serive ten years later ,it will be abort 2015, at that time we will use better fighter to m fight with F-35,,that is J-14, we are designing it in our chengdu fighter factouy ,it will be used for aricraft carrier. Russian can not offer better fighter after Su-30

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom