What's new

Russia & Sri Lanka Says No first deployment of weapons in outer space

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Russia & Sri Lanka Says No first deployment of weapons in outer space

Sri Lankan External Affairs Minister G.L. Peiris & Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov signed a joint statement on 'No First Deployment of Weapons in Outer Space' on the margins of the UNGA Sessions in New York on September 27.

The joint statement, while noting the significance of Outer Space activities for social, economic, scientific and technological development of states, as well as its role in maintaining national and global security, declares that all possible efforts will be made to prevent Outer Space from becoming an arena for military confrontation.

The statement further expresses the belief that Outer Space should be used in compliance with international law for the benefit of all nations, regardless of the level of their economic, scientific or technological development.

Discussing key bilateral issues following the joint statement, the two ministers agreed on the need to focus on expanding economic relations. To this end they resolved to expedite strengthening the bilateral legal framework, through the early conclusion of the agreements under negotiation.

Noting the excellent bilateral cooperation which the two countries enjoy, Minister Peiris also thanked Russia for the ready assistance and support extended to Sri Lanka in the multilateral fora.

The Russian Foreign Minister acknowledged the growth in bilateral trade by 75 percent in the first six months of the year,and suggested that the two countries target to achieve a trade volume worth one billion dollars a year.

Minister Lavrov also informed that Russia has reduced tariffs on Sri Lankan tea imports to Russia which will enhance its exports from Sri Lanka. He also assured that Russia would support to oppose unwarranted criticism of Sri Lanka.

No first deployment of weapons in outer space | Daily News Online : Sri Lanka's National News

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge on this subject but does Sri Lanka have any assets in space?

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge on this subject but does Sri Lanka have any assets in space?

Sri Lanka launches its first communication satellite from China

Tue, Nov 27, 2012

Sri Lanka today launched its first communication satellite into the orbit becoming the 45th country in the world to have its own satellite.

Sri Lanka's first communications satellite SupremeSAT - I was launched today at local time 3:43 p.m., on board China's Long March 3B/E Launch Vehicle from the Xichang Satellite Launch Centre.

Sri Lanka is the third country in the South Asia region to have its own satellite. India and Pakistan already have their satellites in orbit.

Sri Lanka : Sri Lanka launches its first communication satellite from China

Back
Top Bottom