What's new

Russia Seeks Several Military Bases Abroad – Defense Minister

Article says they want bases besides access to ports.
correct. Russia wants more, they want both access and military base. The latter is new.

At present, Russian warships already have privileged access to the Cam Ranh bay. I think, depending on how the government of Vietnam assesses the risk of a confrontation in the SC Sea, Russia can have military base, too, means a Russia-Vietnam alliance.

I meant the Diplomat article
the article from Diplomat is less creditable than Russian sources. Here is another one: Voice of Russia

Russia to expand military presence abroad, cooperate in fight against piracy - News - World - The Voice of Russia: News, Breaking news, Politics, Economics, Business, Russia, International current events, Expert opinion, podcasts, Video

Today, from the point of view of experts, the most promising prospect is return of the Russian military to the Vietnamese Cam Ranh base. Last November, the presidents of Russia and Vietnam signed an agreement on creating a joint submarines’ maintenance center there. Besides, there is an international airport in Cam Ranh, which in case of a necessity is able to accommodate airplanes of the Russian Air Forces, including long-range aviation.

ask pakistanis we have UAE- USA- CHINA - NATO bases already we can give you 10-15 bases as per your wish

ask pakistanis we have UAE- USA- CHINA - NATO bases already we can give you 10-15 bases as per your wish
lol...are you a new King of Pakistan?
ok, I wish you give Vietnam 4 Aegis destroyers.

russia doesnt need a navy, all geopolitics will be located in eurasia around russias borders. Russia builds and expands its navy so they can research new technologies and sell their naval products to other countries

LOL...Yes, as I said previously Vietnam should be friendly to all superpower and wannabe. But at present only Russia is the true friend, ally and a guarantee for VN national security.

Russia can return to Vietnam. China is relatively hostile to Vietnam, while America keeps arms embargo.
If you are friendly to everyone, you will not have a true friend because no one will trust you; period.

No offense but only stupid Viets (especially those at trai tim viet nam) would believe Russia is a friend of Viet Nam. The reality is that Russia is just a gun dealer trying to sell weapons to Viet Nam at a conceited tone nothing more nothing less. There is no friendship in geopolitics, only interests of a nation.

Russia has never been a "true friend or ally" to Viet Nam. In 1988 when they stationed at Cam Ranh Bay, the Chinese shot dead 88 Viet sailors and they did not dare to do jack about it. If Russia cares about Viet Nam national security, they would never sell the Chinese all the military tech/hardware that compromise us; Russian obviously don't give a shxit about us.

I will consider those who can transfer industrial and military technologies to Viet Nam to be a true friend and so far I see NONE. The best that Russia has offered Viet Nam is assembling the KH-35 missile; what a joke.

If you are friendly to everyone, you will not have a true friend because no one will trust you; period.

No offense but only stupid Viets (especially those at trai tim viet nam) would believe Russia is a friend of Viet Nam. The reality is that Russia is just a gun dealer trying to sell weapons to Viet Nam at a conceited tone nothing more nothing less. There is no friendship in geopolitics, only interests of a nation.

Russia has never been a "true friend or ally" to Viet Nam. In 1988 when they stationed at Cam Ranh Bay, the Chinese shot dead 88 Viet sailors and they did not dare to do jack about it. If Russia cares about Viet Nam national security, they would never sell the Chinese all the military tech/hardware that compromise us; Russian obviously don't give a shxit about us.

I will consider those who can transfer industrial and military technologies to Viet Nam to be a true friend and so far I see NONE. The best that Russia has offered Viet Nam is assembling the KH-35 missile; what a joke.

If you look at China transfereing military tech to Pakistan, that is a true friendship even if it has Chinese's interest in it. Russia is a joke to be precise when it comes to being a friend

If you look at China transfereing military tech to Pakistan, that is a true friendship even if it has Chinese's interest in it. Russia is a joke to be precise when it comes to being a friend

China and Pakistan enjoy a special relationship, since the stability of Pakistan also belongs to part of China's core interests.

While Russia and Vietnam are far away to each other, so Vietnam is not part of Russia's core interests.

I think, problem is not so simple. Communist regime in hanoi know it. However, up to now Russia is best friend of Vietnam.

Vietnam should be friendly to the great powers. Hostility to any of them can be dangerous for Vietnam national interest and security. Friendly relationship does not equal friendship. It is wise for Vietnam to seek a protection with a great power. From the 3s America, Russia and China, I see only Russia as a naturally realistic choice.

Sure, it is a certain thing: relationship between nations bases upon egoistic interests. Russia is not an engel. We must be careful in dealing with them as you cited some examples.

I see the Ruskis are gearing to be the biggest powerhouse once more....

I think, problem is not so simple. Communist regime in hanoi know it. However, up to now Russia is best friend of Vietnam.
yes, Vietnam should accept Russian proposal for a closer military alliance. In parallel, Vietnam must itself push for a stronger economy and military,so that we can stand on our foots, just in case we stand alone.

I see the Ruskis are gearing to be the biggest powerhouse once more....
yes, Putin now shows the world, and especially Ukraine who is master, and who is slave.

China and Pakistan enjoy a special relationship, since the stability of Pakistan also belongs to part of China's core interests.

While Russia and Vietnam are far away to each other, so Vietnam is not part of Russia's core interests.
are you sure?

russia doesnt need a navy, all geopolitics will be located in eurasia around russias borders. Russia builds and expands its navy so they can research new technologies and sell their naval products to other countries
you are a dreamer. Russia does need a strong Navy. How do you want to project power abroad without warships?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom