What's new

Russia Plans to Field the T-99, a Radically New Main Battle Tank by 201

Major Shaitan Singh

Reaction score
Country
India
Armata_mbt590.jpg

The Russian Army is planning to begin modernize its armored and mechanized forces beginning in 2015, fielding a new family of vehicles comprising a new main battle tank, armored infantry fighting vehicles, and various support platforms. The MBT will be based on the new Armata, the prototype is scheduled to enter field trials in 2013, about 10 months ahead of schedule. First Deputy Defense Minister Alexander Sukhorukov said. The new tank is under development at Uralvagonzavod in Omsk. The first deliveries of the tank to the Russian Armed Forces are scheduled for 2015. A total of 2,300 MBTs are expected to be supplied by 2020.

It should be remembered that the Russians are building their fighting forces not only against NATO, but more importantly, to protect their long southern borders with radical Islamic countries that may be gathering military power, and the growing dominance of China in the east. Armored and mechanized forces are key to maintaining military superiority or parity against such threats. The level of sophistication in meeting such threats is not as demanding as meeting the advanced technology fielded by US and NATO forces. According to preliminary reports, the new tank designated T-99 will be less radical and ambitious than the failed ‘Object 195’ or T-95, it will weigh less, therefore, become more agile and will be more affordable, compared to its more ambitious predecessors.

The Russian industry is also developing the Boomerang family of 8×8 wheeled armored vehicles which will gradually replace the current BTR-90. Additionally, the Kurganets-25 tracked armored vehicle provides high degree of commonality with the new Armata tank. The Kurganets-25 will evolve into various models, gradually replacing BMP and BMD and MT-LB and other types of tracked armored platforms.

armata_uzv_590.jpg

Hmmm...India should license-build some of these along with T-90s.

I think it has to undergo field trials before it can be mass-produced but your order of precedence may differ. lol

no its time for indian technology,arjun is an example of how indian technology can also be a world beater............... but we have a large indian private industries which can act as parts suppliers and development partners in FMBT ,for now arjun mk-ii,iii will keep our hands full .... BTW we cannot afford to be taken prisoner again by russian price rises and tech denials..........

no its time for indian technology,arjun is an example of how indian technology can also be a world beater............... but we have a large indian private industries which can act as parts suppliers and development partners in FMBT ,for now arjun mk-ii,iii will keep our hands full .... BTW we cannot afford to be taken prisoner again by russian price rises and tech denials..........

I have never been convinced in the conspiracy ideas of DRDO that Arjun is being suppressed by indian army.There have been significant time and cost overruns in that project.The Tank-X project is much better from a tech and logistics view.

I have never been convinced in the conspiracy ideas of DRDO that Arjun is being suppressed by indian army.There have been significant time and cost overruns in that project.The Tank-X project is much better from a tech and logistics view.

There is no conspiracy only Truth. They can buy sub standard T90, but not ready to induct Arjun and give lame excuses like logistics etc.

There is no conspiracy only Truth. They can buy sub standard T90, but not ready to induct Arjun and give lame excuses like logistics etc.

Substandard? You are talking about one of the most successful pieces of armour warfare (T-90) and comparing it with a piece that is over 3 decades behind it's ESL, are your sure your vocabulary isn't failing you?

that tank looks soo cool, Pakistan should consider heavy tanks, you know what I mean.

It is not like we don't manufacture our own tanks.

I hope there is a blanket ban on foreign mall until Arjuns replace all the Soviet-era tanks.

Yeah yeah,considering the cost and time overruns by DRDO ,I am remotely convinced of any explanation of DRDO.

Substandard? You are talking about one of the most successful pieces of armour warfare (T-90) and comparing it with a piece that is over 3 decades behind it's ESL, are your sure your vocabulary isn't failing you?

Dear man, Arjun defeated T-90 in a straight on battle fair and square.

Arjun had its problems during the previous decades but now it has been rectified very well. Our Army is having a weakness for foreign maal regardless of what it is. Call it their greed for fat commissions or corruption of ministers, it is a big problem.

Arjun Mk.2 would further have everything that any modern MBT and that is what we need; to let our own defense products.

Arjun had its problems during the previous decades but now it has been rectified very well. Our Army is having a weakness for foreign maal regardless of what it is. Call it their greed for fat commissions or corruption of ministers, it is a big problem.

Arjun Mk.2 would further have everything that any modern MBT and that is what we need; to let our own defense products.
Are you referring to the unnamed sources of Business Standard or Major Shukla? They aren't really good sources in my opinion.I think Tank-X(Karana) is good solution for a indigenous point..

In a test whose exact perimeters and circumstances along with performance stats are unknown. Owing to which I am forced to make assumptions based on past performance and paper stats. The T-90 enjoys considerable superiority in this domain.

A common trait, anyway the problems with Arjun persist, unbeknown to you or me, this can be judged because although it was developed with plans for induction of over 2500 units, only 250 have been slated for induction so far. The regiments issued the Arjuns remain out of duty anywhere near the border. Maybe the Mk.II will be the one to turn around the fate of this project.

I have seen alleged shots of the Mk.II, it looks formidable with a more "Russian" turret, however a thread posted a few days ago alleged that it was a further 9 tonnes heavier, which could be a problem. The true picture will become clear when we have some formal stats to go by.

Back
Top Bottom