What's new

Russia jails two men for giving China nuke secrets

Oldman1

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
Russia jails two men for giving China nuke secrets - Yahoo! News

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia has jailed two university professors for passing top secret information on Moscow's next generation nuclear missile system to China, sentencing each of them to at least 12 years in jail, local media reported on Wednesday.

Russian investigators said the two professors - who worked at a St Petersburg university - had travelled to China in 2009 "where they gave classified information to representatives of Chinese military intelligence for money," state news agency RIA Novosti reported.

The information they are said to have divulged included the specifications of Russia's Bulava submarine-launched ballistic missile, which after a series of troubled tests is meant to become the cornerstone of the country's nuclear arsenal.

Investigators said that Chinese intelligence officials had also asked for information about other nuclear missile systems such as the Topol-M and the Iskander, Interfax reported.

The two professors, named as Yevgeny Afanasyev and Svyatoslav Bobyshev, were arrested in 2010 and pleaded not guilty to the charges, but a Russian court did not believe them.

"The court has sentenced Afanasyev to punishment in the form of a jail term of 12 years and six months ... and Bobyshev ... to punishment of 12 years," the presiding judge said.

Russia has worked hard to forge closer trade relations with China, but has watched nervously as its southern neighbor has strengthened its military on the back of an economic boom.

Last year, less than a week before Vladimir Putin, then the prime minister, travelled to China, Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB) said it had detained a suspected undercover Chinese spy trying to gain access to missile technology.

The FSB said the man, Tun Sheniyun, had been trying to buy sensitive material on a Russian anti-aircraft missile system while working under the guise of a translator for official delegations.

The Committee for the Defence of Scientists - an organization set up to combat what it says is an FSB witch hunt against academics - called the convicted professors "victims of spy mania".

The judge in the case said that the information they were convicted of selling could be used in a system to detect Russian submarines, from which the Bulava is launched.

Russia plans on sending some of its Bulava-carrying Borei submarines to serve in its Pacific Fleet near the border with China when the next-generation craft are introduced into service.

China buys far less military hardware from Russia than in the past, but Russian analysts have accused Beijing of copying aspects of some of the higher-end Russian military technology, including parts of the new T-50 stealth fighter.

Lawyers for the professors said the two intended to appeal their conviction, RIA reported.

This is making me laugh for that posted up there, USA also stole the BULAVA technologies from Russian. Why the Oldman1 never mention it? USA is No. 1 stolen technologies all over the world, china can do exactly like US now so no big deal.

Everyone steals secrets from one another no surprise here.

This is making me laugh for that posted up there, USA also stole the BULAVA technologies from Russian. Why the Oldman1 never mention it? USA is No. 1 stolen technologies all over the world, china can do exactly like US now so no big deal.

Its awareness to Chinese like you not to make the same mistakes as Americans. Don't do what Americans do because you will have more enemies just like whats happening in Asia. And you are making Russia an enemy just as we are doing.

It's not odd that countries want to know real potential of their rivals arsenal.

Its awareness to Chinese like you not to make the same mistakes as Americans. Don't do what Americans do because you will have more enemies just like whats happening in Asia. And you are making Russia an enemy just as we are doing.

As long as China and russia's strategic interest merge they will be friends, once the interests diverge, they will move on. There are no angels in the community of defence arms. Anyone who gets half an opportunity steals from the other party. even when your tech is superior, you want to know what the adversery is doing. Remember knowledge is power and there is no substitute to power. So this will go on happening.
However the interesting bit that no one commented on was the wording of the text ."
"The two professors, named as Yevgeny Afanasyev and Svyatoslav Bobyshev, were arrested in 2010 and pleaded not guilty to the charges, but a Russian court did not believe them."
Does this imply that the process was a foregone conclusion which makes me feel that justice was not done.
Araz

As long as China and russia's strategic interest merge they will be friends, once the interests diverge, they will move on. There are no angels in the community of defence arms. Anyone who gets half an opportunity steals from the other party. even when your tech is superior, you want to know what the adversery is doing. Remember knowledge is power and there is no substitute to power. So this will go on happening.
However the interesting bit that no one commented on was the wording of the text ."
"The two professors, named as Yevgeny Afanasyev and Svyatoslav Bobyshev, were arrested in 2010 and pleaded not guilty to the charges, but a Russian court did not believe them."
Does this imply that the process was a foregone conclusion which makes me feel that justice was not done.
Araz

If the sentence was handed down based on judge's believe rather than hard evidence, then I feel sorry for these two scientists.

On the other hand, spying is normal for all nations, I am sure Russia also spied on China. And Russia spied on US and US spied on Russia. China spied on US and US spied on China.

Japan always have information on China's new weopon development, eg the Type 071 LPD's external and internal structure was first published in Japan before it was leak out in China's Internet. Japanese spies are probably the most active in China.

Even israel spied on their major ally USA.

so the nuke tech of china is stolen from Russia? :rofl:
i always thought that chinaese tech is just limited to copy paste.

i never knew about Chinese stealing tech from other countries. what happened to the so called indigenous tech?

"China invented Nukes and missiles(rockets) 1000s years ago in *****(fill in the gaps) dynasty and only in 1930s..german got that tech and americans stole it from them..russians stole it from USA..so that news is just propaganda against China..China is just taking back what is rightfully her...."

i'm practicing to join Chinese propaganda team.. :D

by the way..be prepared for another thread "Ancient China invented micro nukes(which we call crackers now) and rockets".. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

@topic..

looks like mighty China still needs western tech..but how come they need this when they are pioneer of this tech??? :lol: :lol:

and why they need Bulava tech when they already have JL-2(hope thats the missile's name..too many Js in china's weapon inventory)...

What would have been the punishment if things were the other way round?

No prizes for guessing.

come on INDIANS my fellow country men, can we stop trolling on things that we hardly know any thing about.
Calling Chinese as Copy Paste is not going to get us any where, if posible we should also be doing the same to develop our own arsenal of modernized weapons. Rather we are making fun of a nation who is determined to achive supramecy in self protection by any means.

Back
Top Bottom