What's new

Russia is already planning to produce Fifth Generation Submarines

Any idea on what the stealth features are supposed to be? Or how the below can be addressed?

1. Lower magnetic signature
2. Sound- Engines. The reason, I am asking this, is because AIP is a known constituent of non nuclear powered submarines. How will the Russian AIP be an advancement over the current ones.
3. Depth. Are we saying the submarines will now dive deeper?
4. Sound - hulls. Most Russian subs are double hulled. Had read somewhere that double hulled subs are more difficult to quieten.

@Penguin @Capt.Popeye

Also, what exactly is a 5th generation submarine?

I think one of the articles addresses your concerns. For one thing, The Russians are moving towards Stealth which in Submarines terms means "Quiet". Since Nuclear Subs have the clear disadvantage of being noisy ( even though they can remain submerged for months at a time ), it appears the Russians have opted for many of their 5th Generation Submarines to have a Diesel electric/AIPP combination for the Propulsion. So speed and depth are not as big an issue for their 5th Gen Subs as much as Stealth is.

@Arzamas 16 , @vostok Any idea why the Submarine Launched " Bulava " Ballistic Missile keeps failing. What is the actual Problem and Why has it suffered such a high Failure rate in most of the Tests conducted.

@PWFI

Last edited:
I think one of the articles addresses your concerns. For one thing, The Russians are moving towards Stealth which in Submarines terms means "Quiet". Since Nuclear Subs have the clear disadvantage of being noisy ( even though they can remain submerged for months at a time ), it appears the Russians have opted for many of their 5th Generation Submarines to have a Diesel electric/AIPP combination for the Propulsion. So speed and depth are not as big an issue for their 5th Gen Subs as much as Stealth is.

@Arzamas 16 , @vostok Any idea why the Submarine Launched " Bulava " Ballistic Missile keeps failing. What is the actual Problem and Why has it suffered such a high Failure rate in most of the Tests conducted.

@PWFI
It was a defective detale. Same problem have been identified for another 3 missiles and fixed. The next year will take place 5 more test launches.

@PWFI

I understood the point of quiet and stealth. My query was more related to how and to what level of quietness/noise. And by noise, I am referring to thermal, sound and magnetic.

Russian submarines are belived to be most noisy, just like chinese, and i think with this new technology (stealth) that problem should be fixed.

Russian submarines are belived to be most noisy, just like chinese

are you serious???Russian Subs are one of the most silent subs.even the older subs like Kilo are dubbed "Black Hole" for their Silence Property.and that subs are around 4 decade old.new subs like Borei,Yasen and Lada are many times silent than those,comparable to any modern subs like Scorpene,Virginia and Type-214.

and do you know what is biggest worries for USN??these Black Holes are..they even bought Gotland class Sub from Sweden to hone their tech,only submarine credited an Aircraft Carrier kill in a Wargame.

Russians Test Super-Quiet Sub
June 8
By David Ruppe

Share on email

Russia is reportedly sea testing a nuclear-powered sub believed superior in many ways to some of America's best subs.

The Gepard (Russian for cheetah) it is expected to begin active duty with the Northern Fleet as early as July, after it passes its trials, according to Russian news reports.

U.S. sub experts suspect the Gepard may move as fast and as quietly as America's best fully operational subs, the Los Angeles-class subs, as well as have the capacity to dive deeper and to harness more firepower.

"In many respects, it's a superior submarine," says independent submarine expert Norman Polmar. "We know it's at least as quiet as an improved L.A.'s. Whether it's quieter I can't say."

Polmar argues, though, the launching of the Gepard does not represent a new capability for the Russian navy.

Russian submarines traditionally have been louder than American submarines, but intelligence experts believe that starting in the mid-1980s, Russia has been advancing quieting techniques with their Akula-class submarines. The Akulas now reportedly have sound levels equal to or lower than U.S. Los Angeles and possibly the future Virginia-class submarines.

With the Gepard, reportedly the best of the Akulas, Russia is believed to have built 13 Akula-class submarines. The Gepard is of the improved Akula II series, and some experts believe Russia actually launched its first Akula II in 1996.

The U.S. Navy currently operates some 55 advanced nuclear submarines.

Important Milestone or Last Gasp?

A recent article in Moscow Rossiyskaya Gazeta, a government daily paper, claims the Gepard surpasses America's new Seawolf submarines, not yet fully operational, "in practically every way."

Still, Polmar and others say the Gepard does not represent a particularly severe challenge for the U.S. Navy. "It's meaningless, because they don't have the money to fully operate them and they have so few of them," he says.

Indeed, the Gepard is five years late in arriving. Construction was begun in 1991 and the Gepard was originally scheduled for launch in 1996. But its construction was delayed due to Russian military funding difficulties.

"It's certainly a major milestone for them that after all this time they've finally launched the bloody thing," says John Pike, a military expert who runs GlobalSecurity.org in Washington, D.C. "They went on a construction holiday, basically, 10 years ago."

But Pike notes the U.S. Navy still outclasses Russia in anti-submarine warfare (ASW), enabling it to better locate and track Russian subs.

"ASW is not simply dueling submarines. It includes aircraft, and helicopters operating from destroyers, where the United States continues to have a significant lead. And it's the computers and communications that sort of ties all of that together," he says. "One submarine alone does not decisively alter that."

Since the Cold War, the Russian fleet has fallen into serious disrepair. The launching of the Gepard, says Pike, is most significant if it reflects a new commitment in Moscow to rebuild its aging navy.

"A major challenge for the Russian navy right now is to explain why Russia has a navy," he says. "If Russia does not resume ship construction soon, five years from now they're going to wind up without a navy." — ABCNEWS' correspondent in Moscow Sergiusz Morenc contributed to this report.

Russians Test Super-Quiet Sub - ABC News

are you serious???Russian Subs are one of the most silent subs.even the older subs like Kilo are dubbed "Black Hole" for their Silence Property.and that subs are around 4 decade old.new subs like Borei,Yasen and Lada are many times silent than those,comparable to any modern subs like Scorpene,Virginia and Type-214.

and do you know what is biggest worries for USN??these Black Holes are..they even bought Gotland class Sub from Sweden to hone their tech,only submarine credited an Aircraft Carrier kill in a Wargame.

I think the Akula class submarines ( NATO name Typhoon) were much quieter than Kilo class Subs. As for the " Black hole " Tag, that wasn't given to Kilo but to the more recent 4th Generation Submarines and the 5th Generation would be even quieter. The following article will shed some light on my contention.

New Russian Submarines Are So Silent That The U.S. Navy Calls Them “Black Holes
user.gif
By Michael Snyder, on December 1st, 2013

Did you know that Russia is building submarines that are so quiet that the U.S. military cannot detect them? These “black hole” submarines can freely approach the coastlines of the United States without fear of being detected whenever they want. In fact, a “nuclear-powered attack submarine armed with long-range cruise missiles” sailed around in the Gulf of Mexico for several weeks without being detected back in 2012. And now Russia is launching a new class of subs that have “advanced stealth technology”. The U.S. Navy openly acknowledges that they cannot track these subs when they are submerged. That means that the Russians are able to sail right up to our coastlines and launch nukes whenever they want. But instead of trying to find a way to counteract this potential threat, the Obama administration has been working very hard to dismantle the U.S. strategic nuclear arsenal. In the end, we could potentially pay a great price for this utter foolishness.

A recent RT article discussed these new super silent “black hole” submarines. To say that they are impressive would be a massive understatement…

Russia has launched its new state-of-the-art Novorossiysk submarine, which set sail from a St Petersburg shipyard to become the first of six diesel-electric stealth subs delivered to the Russian Black Sea fleet in the next two years.

The Novorossiysk belongs to the Varshavyanka-class (Project 636), which is characterized by advanced stealth technology, making it virtually undetectable when submerged.

“Our potential opponents call it the ‘Black Hole’ due to the very low noise emission and visibility of the submarine,” Konstantin Tabachny, captain of the Novorossiysk, told Channel One TV. “To be undetectable is the main quality for a submarine. And this whole project really fits its purpose.”

Of course Russia has been building “near silent” submarines for quite some time. In fact, their nuclear submarines are already far quieter than anything the U.S. currently has…

Russia recently launched its near silent nuclear submarine following several years of development.

The Borey Class submarine, dubbed Vladimir Monomakh, has a next generation nuclear reactor, can dive deeper than 1,200 feet, and carries up to 20 nuclear intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBM).
Each of these “Bulava” ICBM’s can carry ten detachable MIRV warheads, what they call “re-entry vehicles,” capable of delivering 150 kiloton yields per warhead

And as I mentioned above, these submarines have the ability to approach the coastlines of the United States without the U.S. military ever even knowing that they were there.

In addition, Russia has been working feverishly to upgrade other elements of their strategic arsenal as well. For example, it was recently announced that Russia will soon begin work on a new strategic bomber…

Russia will begin the full-scale R&D work on its future strategic bomber in 2014, a senior aircraft-manufacturing industry official said Thursday.

The project, known as PAK-DA (an acronym meaning “future long-range aircraft”), has been in the works for several years but was given the formal go-ahead by the Russian leadership last year.

The Russians are also working very hard to modernize their nuclear forces…

Russia is developing several new missiles, including a weapon U.S. intelligence agencies have assessed as a covert intermediate-range nuclear missile called the RS-26 that is being developed and tested in apparent violation of the 1987 Intermediate-range Nuclear Forces Treaty.

The Russian government has denied the RS-26 violates the INF treaty and claims it is a new ICBM, which some arms compliance experts say is a violation of the 2010 New START treaty.

Sadly, most Americans have no idea that any of this is going on.

Most Americans just assume that “the Cold War is over” and that Russia will never be a threat to us ever again.

If only that was actually true.

Today, Russia is stronger both economically and militarily than it has ever been before.

And as you just read about, Russia is rapidly preparing for a potential future conflict with the United States.

If the Cold War truly is over, then why does Russia have more spies inside the U.S. today than it did at any point during the Cold War?

The American people need to wake up.

As all of this has been going on, Barack Obama has been working relentlessly to dismantle the U.S. strategic nuclear arsenal. The following is an excerpt from one of my previous articles

—–

Back in 1967, the U.S. military had more than 31,000 strategic nuclear warheads.

Since that time, the U.S. strategic nuclear arsenal has been reduced by about 95 percent.

The START Treaty that Obama agreed to back in 2010 will limit both the United States and Russia to a maximum of 1,550 deployed strategic nuclear warheads.

But that is not nearly enough of a reduction for Obama.

Back in June, he declared that “after a comprehensive review” he has decided that the United States can reduce the number of our deployed nuclear warheads by another one-third…

After a comprehensive review, I’ve determined that we can ensure the security of America and our allies, and maintain a strong and credible strategic deterrent, while reducing our deployed strategic nuclear weapons by up to one-third. And I intend to seek negotiated cuts with Russia to move beyond Cold War nuclear postures.

That would leave us with around 1,000 warheads.

And thanks to the various treaties that we have signed, Russia will know where most of those warheads are located.

So this makes a scenario in which Russia and China collectively conduct a first strike against the United States much more conceivable. If Russia or China knows exactly where our warheads are, it would be very easy to take most of them out in less than 10 minutes with a submarine-based first strike.

—–

The fact that Russia is building subs that are so quiet that the U.S. Navy cannot even detect them is a very, very big deal.

It means that at any time the Russians could have their subs pop up right off of our coastlines and deliver an absolutely crippling first strike that would hit us before we would have any chance of responding.

No, I do not believe that such a thing will happen this year, or next year or the year after that.

But as relations between the United States and Russia continue to go downhill, the stage is being set for such a scenario to happen in the future.

World War III is coming at some point, and the decisions that are being made right now are making it far more likely that the United States will be the loser of that conflict.

About the author: Michael T. Snyder is a former Washington D.C. attorney who now publishes The Truth. His new thriller entitled “The Beginning Of The End” is now available on Amazon.com.

Russian submarines are belived to be most noisy, just like chinese, and i think with this new technology (stealth) that problem should be fixed.

You are right the old Russian Subs were noisier than the US Submarines but starting from the Akula Class they became much quieter. The present 4th Generation subs are so quiet they are being called the " Black Hole ". Our Indian friend is WRONG in claiming that the old Kilo class were called Black Hole. I posted an Article above that proves that. The 5th Generation Russian Submarines are going to give the US a nightmare because they are Super Quiet.

Last edited:
I think the Akula class submarines ( NATO name Typhoon) were much quieter than Kilo class Subs.

comparing a nuclear sub with conventional subs doesn't worth it.and I think no,Akula is much noisier than Kilo,for the obvious reason.

as for Black Hole,Kilo class was awarded that tag name by US navy,just like other silent subs.

read this......

“The Project 636 Kilo-class submarine has been dubbed the “black hole” by the U.S. Navy for its level of quietness. The Project 636MV-class sub has improved stealth features through the removal of flooding ports and treating the hull with multilayer anechoic rubber tiles. The tiles are fitted on casings and fins to absorb active sonar waves that reduce and distort the return signal. The anechoic tiles also shield sounds from within the submarine thus reducing the range of detection by passive sonar.”

Vietnam To Receive Advanced Russian Sub in 2013 | The Diplomat

comparing a nuclear sub with conventional subs doesn't worth it.and I think no,Akula is much noisier than Kilo,for the obvious reason.

as for Black Hole,Kilo class was awarded that tag name by US navy,just like other silent subs.

read this......

“The Project 636 Kilo-class submarine has been dubbed the “black hole” by the U.S. Navy for its level of quietness. The Project 636MV-class sub has improved stealth features through the removal of flooding ports and treating the hull with multilayer anechoic rubber tiles. The tiles are fitted on casings and fins to absorb active sonar waves that reduce and distort the return signal. The anechoic tiles also shield sounds from within the submarine thus reducing the range of detection by passive sonar.”
Vietnam To Receive Advanced Russian Sub in 2013 | The Diplomat

Well the Kilos came out in 1980. This is the improved kilo from Project 636 which was initiated in 2009. I have given you the article that is calling the 4th Generation the Black Hole. Read the date on the article which was published 2 days ago ( December 1 , 2013). It is the NEWEST Russian Submarines that are giving the USN nightmares, not the 1980 Kilo Class.

As for your comment of comparing the Conventional Submarines with Nuclear Subs, You are wrong again because the newest Conventional Submarines are much quieter than Nuclear because of the AIPP Technology. Most of the Super quiet 5ht Generation Russian Submarines are going to be Conventional and not Nuclear. Read the Articles I have posted earlier.

I think the Akula class submarines ( NATO name Typhoon) were much quieter than Kilo class Subs. As for the " Black hole " Tag, that wasn't given to Kilo but to the more recent 4th Generation Submarines and the 5th Generation would be even quieter. The following article will shed some light on my contention.

New Russian Submarines Are So Silent That The U.S. Navy Calls Them “Black Holes
user.gif
By Michael Snyder, on December 1st, 2013

Did you know that Russia is building submarines that are so quiet that the U.S. military cannot detect them? These “black hole” submarines can freely approach the coastlines of the United States without fear of being detected whenever they want. In fact, a “nuclear-powered attack submarine armed with long-range cruise missiles” sailed around in the Gulf of Mexico for several weeks without being detected back in 2012. And now Russia is launching a new class of subs that have “advanced stealth technology”. The U.S. Navy openly acknowledges that they cannot track these subs when they are submerged. That means that the Russians are able to sail right up to our coastlines and launch nukes whenever they want. But instead of trying to find a way to counteract this potential threat, the Obama administration has been working very hard to dismantle the U.S. strategic nuclear arsenal. In the end, we could potentially pay a great price for this utter foolishness.

A recent RT article discussed these new super silent “black hole” submarines. To say that they are impressive would be a massive understatement…

Russia has launched its new state-of-the-art Novorossiysk submarine, which set sail from a St Petersburg shipyard to become the first of six diesel-electric stealth subs delivered to the Russian Black Sea fleet in the next two years.

The Novorossiysk belongs to the Varshavyanka-class (Project 636), which is characterized by advanced stealth technology, making it virtually undetectable when submerged.

“Our potential opponents call it the ‘Black Hole’ due to the very low noise emission and visibility of the submarine,” Konstantin Tabachny, captain of the Novorossiysk, told Channel One TV. “To be undetectable is the main quality for a submarine. And this whole project really fits its purpose.”

Of course Russia has been building “near silent” submarines for quite some time. In fact, their nuclear submarines are already far quieter than anything the U.S. currently has…

Russia recently launched its near silent nuclear submarine following several years of development.

The Borey Class submarine, dubbed Vladimir Monomakh, has a next generation nuclear reactor, can dive deeper than 1,200 feet, and carries up to 20 nuclear intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBM).
Each of these “Bulava” ICBM’s can carry ten detachable MIRV warheads, what they call “re-entry vehicles,” capable of delivering 150 kiloton yields per warhead

And as I mentioned above, these submarines have the ability to approach the coastlines of the United States without the U.S. military ever even knowing that they were there.

In addition, Russia has been working feverishly to upgrade other elements of their strategic arsenal as well. For example, it was recently announced that Russia will soon begin work on a new strategic bomber…

Russia will begin the full-scale R&D work on its future strategic bomber in 2014, a senior aircraft-manufacturing industry official said Thursday.

The project, known as PAK-DA (an acronym meaning “future long-range aircraft”), has been in the works for several years but was given the formal go-ahead by the Russian leadership last year.

The Russians are also working very hard to modernize their nuclear forces…

Russia is developing several new missiles, including a weapon U.S. intelligence agencies have assessed as a covert intermediate-range nuclear missile called the RS-26 that is being developed and tested in apparent violation of the 1987 Intermediate-range Nuclear Forces Treaty.

The Russian government has denied the RS-26 violates the INF treaty and claims it is a new ICBM, which some arms compliance experts say is a violation of the 2010 New START treaty.

Sadly, most Americans have no idea that any of this is going on.

Most Americans just assume that “the Cold War is over” and that Russia will never be a threat to us ever again.

If only that was actually true.

Today, Russia is stronger both economically and militarily than it has ever been before.

And as you just read about, Russia is rapidly preparing for a potential future conflict with the United States.

If the Cold War truly is over, then why does Russia have more spies inside the U.S. today than it did at any point during the Cold War?

The American people need to wake up.

As all of this has been going on, Barack Obama has been working relentlessly to dismantle the U.S. strategic nuclear arsenal. The following is an excerpt from one of my previous articles

—–

Back in 1967, the U.S. military had more than 31,000 strategic nuclear warheads.

Since that time, the U.S. strategic nuclear arsenal has been reduced by about 95 percent.

The START Treaty that Obama agreed to back in 2010 will limit both the United States and Russia to a maximum of 1,550 deployed strategic nuclear warheads.

But that is not nearly enough of a reduction for Obama.

Back in June, he declared that “after a comprehensive review” he has decided that the United States can reduce the number of our deployed nuclear warheads by another one-third…

After a comprehensive review, I’ve determined that we can ensure the security of America and our allies, and maintain a strong and credible strategic deterrent, while reducing our deployed strategic nuclear weapons by up to one-third. And I intend to seek negotiated cuts with Russia to move beyond Cold War nuclear postures.

That would leave us with around 1,000 warheads.

And thanks to the various treaties that we have signed, Russia will know where most of those warheads are located.

So this makes a scenario in which Russia and China collectively conduct a first strike against the United States much more conceivable. If Russia or China knows exactly where our warheads are, it would be very easy to take most of them out in less than 10 minutes with a submarine-based first strike.

—–

The fact that Russia is building subs that are so quiet that the U.S. Navy cannot even detect them is a very, very big deal.

It means that at any time the Russians could have their subs pop up right off of our coastlines and deliver an absolutely crippling first strike that would hit us before we would have any chance of responding.

No, I do not believe that such a thing will happen this year, or next year or the year after that.

But as relations between the United States and Russia continue to go downhill, the stage is being set for such a scenario to happen in the future.

World War III is coming at some point, and the decisions that are being made right now are making it far more likely that the United States will be the loser of that conflict.

About the author: Michael T. Snyder is a former Washington D.C. attorney who now publishes The Truth. His new thriller entitled “The Beginning Of The End” is now available on Amazon.com.​

@gambit , how serious is this situation ?

Is our goose cooked ?​

@gambit , how serious is this situation ?
Is our goose cooked ?
No. Not saying the issue is not serious. It is serious. But as someone who have some experience in the sensor business, and radar/sonar sensor data processing are nearly identical in the core aspects of both, I know we have ways of detecting these subs. We made revolutionary changes to these data processing methods and the US Navy is not interested in disclosing them and far less on what the Russians boasts.

I know my answer is not going to satisfy many, if not most, but I know where the line is drawn.

No. Not saying the issue is not serious. It is serious. But as someone who have some experience in the sensor business, and radar/sonar sensor data processing are nearly identical in the core aspects of both, I know we have ways of detecting these subs. We made revolutionary changes to these data processing methods and the US Navy is not interested in disclosing them and far less on what the Russians boasts.

I know my answer is not going to satisfy many, if not most, but I know where the line is drawn.

Yeah, I am sure underwater there are other ways to detect Submarines besides Sonar i.e. Magnetic Anamoly Detector or MAD. But I don't know the range of such gear and if they are as effective as Sonar.

In general, there are three types of ASW-platforms:
-Airborne, including helicopters and planes
-Surface units, including frigates, destroyers as well as small coastal submarine hunters
-Submerged units, including diesel-electric submarines and Nuclear submarines.

The most important thing about hunting a submarine is detecting it. It consumes a lot of time and effort. Once the submarine is detected, it is – relatively – easy to hit and sink. The searching and detecting of a submarine is still a risk bearing operation, depending on the asset and weapon you use.

Since anyone wants to take the least risky method of finding and killing a submarine, airborne ASW platforms remain the most popular. In response, some of modern submarines are now equipped with MANPADS (Man-Portable Air Defense Systems), but these have not proved as effective as the submarine has to surface in order to use them, in turn exposing itself to enemy fire. Some research for a torpedo-tube launched anti-helicopter weapon, named “Triton”, was undertaken by Germans, but no such weapon entered service so far.

Target
Every submarine is a highly evasive, problematic to detect, “hard” target. Usually, a submarine will be actually invisible even to the eyes of any observer on the surface, and definitely not visible on any radar – as long as it remains submerged. The currently available detection technology is therefore based on magnetic deviations and sound waves. Clearly, in response to such threats submarine-constructors adapted their products, making them ever silent.

By nature, a submerged submarine is therefore “invisible”, and therefore an extremely potent weapon. It can manoeuvre, move swiftly, or stand still, dive through so-called thermic layers in order to hide, shoot noise makers, use the bottom of the sea to hide, but also to find a target for itself. This all does not make any submarine a “miracle” by itself, however, then there are still the ways of detecting submarines – even if these are usually complex and full of problems.

Airborne Platforms
As already mentioned, airborne anti-submarine warfare (ASW) platforms are foremost helicopters and aircraft. As seen from the submarine, they are actually invulnerable and far more manoeuvrable – due to their advantage in speed. This speed permits them to change their position much faster than any submarine and thus not only cover large areas when searching for their targets, but also have a choice of time and point from which they attack, relative to the submarine position.

Helicopters are slower than aircraft and usually have a much shorter endurance, but they have the ability to move in a far more methodical way, and even hover over an area. They are also smaller in size and weight and can be carried by small ships.

ASW-Helicopters are usually equipped with MADs (“Magnetic Anomaly Detectors”), dipping sonar (active and passive) and sonobuoys (also active and passive); ASW aircraft are all equipped with MAD and sonobuoys only, while some also have powerful surface-search radars. MAD-detectors can detect submarines only within a quite limited zone. Dipping sonar and sonobuoys are the most effective means of submarine hunting, then they enable the crew of the helicopter to listen to underwater sounds over extended periods of time.

Any idea on what the stealth features are supposed to be? Or how the below can be addressed?

1. Lower magnetic signature
2. Sound- Engines. The reason, I am asking this, is because AIP is a known constituent of non nuclear powered submarines. How will the Russian AIP be an advancement over the current ones.
3. Depth. Are we saying the submarines will now dive deeper?
4. Sound - hulls. Most Russian subs are double hulled. Had read somewhere that double hulled subs are more difficult to quieten.

@Penguin @Capt.Popeye

Also, what exactly is a 5th generation submarine?
As it said in one of the articles above, noise reduction over increased speed and diving depth. Some older subs already can operate down to 1300m. So 3 is ruled out.

Single and double hulls

Modern submarines and submersibles, as well as the oldest ones, usually have a single hull. Large submarines generally have an additional hull or hull sections outside. This external hull, which actually forms the shape of submarine, is called the outer hull (casing in the Royal Navy) or light hull, as it does not have to withstand a pressure difference. Inside the outer hull there is a strong hull, or pressure hull, which withstands sea pressure and has normal atmospheric pressure inside.

As early as World War I, it was realized that the optimal shape for withstanding pressure conflicted with the optimal shape for seakeeping and minimal drag, and construction difficulties further complicated the problem. This was solved either by a compromise shape, or by using two hulls; internal for holding pressure, and external for optimal shape. Until the end of World War II, most submarines had an additional partial cover on the top, bow and stern, built of thinner metal, which was flooded when submerged. Germany went further with the Type XXI, a general predecessor of modern submarines, in which the pressure hull was fully enclosed inside the light hull, but optimized for submerged navigation, unlike earlier designs that were optimized for surface operation.

After World War II, approaches split. The Soviet Union changed its designs, basing them on German developments. All post–World War II heavy Soviet and Russian submarines are built with a double hull structure. American and most other Western submarines switched to a primarily single-hull approach. They still have light hull sections in the bow and stern, which house main ballast tanks and provide a hydrodynamically optimized shape, but the main cylindrical hull section has only a single plating layer. The double hulls are being considered for future submarines in the United States to improve payload capacity, stealth and range.
Submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back
Top Bottom