What's new

Russia & Iran negotiate canal from Caspian Sea to Persian Gulf

The problem is that the clouds only form when the vapor cools down which is not going to happen in Iran. General direction of the wind is from west to east and we don't have tall mountains on the east side of Iran so possibly all those vapors will turn into cloud and rain in Afghanistan or Pakistan.

are you sure about this? Judging from the maps the two desserts lot and kavir are almost 100% enclosed in the east as well. There are two corridors but would all the vapor slip through them?

What I said doesn't necessarily mean Iran becomes warmer. It means it will have more temperate climate (i.e. cooler summers and warmer winters).
Noted!

A better idea may be to revive Uromieh Lake if we like to built lakes using water imported from Caspian sea. It can act as battery as well so that the pumps will pump water up the mountains in day time when there is not much electrical use and then at night, the water can flow down and generate electricity when the demand is high

Sounds like a good and feasible plan!

(like Siahbishe project near Chaloos road)

Just looked it up, it seems like an interesting project! A good way to handle the spikes!

i remember when i was a kid russia was to nuke the Elborz mountains so that the rest of iran could be as green and lush as the caspian coast line ..

this is more feasible

are you sure about this? Judging from the maps the two desserts lot and kavir are almost 100% enclosed in the east as well. There are two corridors but would all the vapor slip through them?

upload_2017-7-4_14-18-49.png

If you look at the above map, the mountains with a height of 3000m and above are all on the west and north of Iran. For example the Alborz mountains block the Caspian sea humidity from reaching Tehran.

While on the east side, most of the areas are either the same height like what I marked or at most around 2000m high which is not high enough to trap the humidity. There may be condensations in some higher areas but generally it will all drop in Afghanistan where you can see the mountains are around 3000m and above.

View attachment 408350

If you look at the above map, the mountains with a height of 3000m and above are all on the west and north of Iran. For example the Alborz mountains block the Caspian sea humidity from reaching Tehran.

While on the east side, most of the areas are either the same height like what I marked or at most around 2000m high which is not high enough to trap the humidity. There may be condensations in some higher areas but generally it will all drop in Afghanistan where you can see the mountains are around 3000m and above.

Thanks for pointing it out to me. You are absolutely right!

Those are surface level wind. General direction of climate systems in Iran is from west to east.
I red few pages today few blogs and news websites these pics are closer to their opinion than your opinion . some even said that winds coming from Afghanistan

I red few pages today few blogs and news websites these pics are closer to their opinion than your opinion . some even said that winds coming from Afghanistan
Yes surface winds always come from higher and thus colder locations to lower and thus warmer places.

For example, in case of Afghanistan, it is mountainous and thus the air is colder there compared to central deserts of Iran. So the warm air in the desert moves up and then the cold air from adjacent areas like Afghanistan rushes in to fill the gap. So on the surface the wind direction is from Afghanistan towards Iran or from Iran to Iraq.

But on the higher altitude, the flow is opposite so the same warm air that rose up in Iran central desert now moves towards Afghanistan to fill the gap of the cold air that moved to Iran and this cycle continues. This is simply what we know as convection.

What moves the cloud and humidity or climate systems is the air movement in higher altitude not the surface ones. However, the high altitude wind direction and speed is usually no use to us and our every day life. So most of the maps that you will find will show you the direction and speed of surface wind.

Higher altitude winds are used by meteorologists to predict the weather.

A question! and please forgive me if it sounds silly or if it has been answered before:
In the case that the canal becomes a reality, which way is the water going to flow? Is it from the Caspian sea to the Persian gulf or vice versa?

A question! and please forgive me if it sounds silly or if it has been answered before:
In the case that the canal becomes a reality, which way is the water going to flow? Is it from the Caspian sea to the Persian gulf or vice versa?
Caspian sea is about 20 m lower than open waters but in reality the water flow nowhere as there are facilities between two body of water to prevent it and also Iran plateau is several hundred meters higher than open seas .

We need a major geo engineering to remedy some of the climate change effects we are observing. I am just not sure if this would make things better or worse. Economically it can be very beneficial but could this have a negative impact on our Caspian landscape? Would it affect our food production?

We need a major geo engineering to remedy some of the climate change effects we are observing. I am just not sure if this would make things better or worse. Economically it can be very beneficial but could this have a negative impact on our Caspian landscape? Would it affect our food production?
All and any steps that aim to or are likely to significantly change the climate of Iran should have very serious research and considerations of how any such move would affect Iran and the region's environment, geography, and ecosystem in the short, medium and long term. We have to be very responsible about these things.

Because of the differences in height of the proposed canal owing to the topography you would have to use a system of locks to overcome this,so it would be much more like the panama canal,much larger in fact,rather than the sea level suez canal which is really just an enormous sea level ditch,so unlike suez you would not have a continuous flow from the caspian to the persian gulf.
Panama10.jpg

what we see today in east and south east of Iran is destroyed version of ecosystem .about 50 years ago there was 3-4 lakes and some rivers in that area today there is only a name of them . some of them completely dried and some just need a little more time to dry. few examples
Hamoon lake in sistan baluchstan
800px-%D9%88%D8%B6%D8%B9%DB%8C%D8%AA_%D8%AF%D8%B1%DB%8C%D8%A7%DA%86%D9%87_%D9%87%D8%A7%D9%85%D9%88%D9%86_%D8%AF%D8%B1_%D8%B3%D8%A7%D9%84_1384.jpg

800px-%D9%88%D8%B6%D8%B9%DB%8C%D8%AA_%D8%AF%D8%B1%DB%8C%D8%A7%DA%86%D9%87_%D9%87%D8%A7%D9%85%D9%88%D9%86_%D8%AF%D8%B1_%D8%B3%D8%A7%D9%84_92.jpg

Jazmorian in Kerman
http://www.isna.ir/news/94121006409/مرگ-تالاب-جازموریان

http://www.salamatnews.com/news/205251/۵۸-درصد-مساحت-کل-تالاب-های-کشور-از-بین-رفته-است

به گزارش سلامت نیوز به نقل از خانه ملت، محمدرضا تابش در همایش روز جهانی تالاب ها که در اهواز برگزار شد، با بیان اینکه از حدود 3 میلیون هکتار مساحت تالاب های کشور حدود 58 درصد مساحت کل این تالاب ها از بین رفته و بستر آنها به خاک و نمک تبدیل شده است، گفت: اگر به احیای تالاب ها توجه نشود دامنه اجتماعی آن به مباحث سیاسی و نهایتاً امنیتی تبدیل خواهد شد.

از حدود 3 میلیون هکتار مساحت تالاب های کشور حدود 58 درصد مساحت کل این تالاب ها از بین رفته و بستر آنها به خاک و نمک تبدیل شده است.
تالاب هایی که خشک شده اند منشا انتشار ریزگردها و عاملی خطرزا برای زیستگاه های انسانی و حیوانی است.

سلامت نیوز
: ۵۸ درصد مساحت کل تالاب های کشور از بین رفته است

http://www.tabnak.ir/fa/news/660581/بحران-تکراری-خوزستان-حتی-نمازجمعه-را-تعطیل-کرد-ویدیو

خبرهاي رسيده از استان خوزستان حاكي از اين است كه وزش شديد باد و افزايش گرد و غبار در آسمان استان به ويژه شهر اهواز به حدي است كه در برخي مناطق برق قطع شده و باد به تعداد زيادي از درختان آسيب زده است. در اين رابطه سازمان هواشناسي استان خوزستان اعلام كرد، پديده گرد و غباري كه امروز در استان ايجاد شده منشأ داخلي دارد و ميزان گرد و غبار موجود در آسمان نيز به 66 برابر حد مجاز رسيده است.

Reminds me of the Aral Sea.

What a great Idea. May be We should also dig a canal right from Arabian sea right upto wakhan strip. As a permanent barrier between Afghanistan and Pakistan for Good. And Only build bridges on Iranian Border. And Buy Wakhan Strip from Afghans. :pop:

On a serious note. Saline Water all across land. Wont it effect the land surrounding?
Is it all barren in that proposed route?

Back
Top Bottom