What's new

Rs273bn cleared for Karachi Circular Railway

nothing like that.
But india did export 4.77 m vehicles last year , inspite of the virus.
If you travel , you find Indian brands in nearly all developing countries. And they are well established with good reputations. No fly by night operators.
Even in Pakistan, with 2.5 b usd of Indian imports in 2019 , never heard of quality issues, like we hear about Chinese stuff.
Now ofcourse Pakistan imports just medicines and other essential item from India worth 250 m usd , after ban.

Ok, big boy.
Dude, I have eaten food made in India, on a regular basis for over a decade, been gifted Indian made clothing, eaten from Indian made dishes and seen Indian made items at my friends homes.

There is nothing to shout about, mostly the quality is very low, even by Pakistani standards. Everyone exports, exporting things is not a big deal.

Stick with the topic and stay relevant. Pakistan and India have no relations, how can you suggest joint cooperation, don't you see it does not make sense. If Indian trains were so good, India would not be importing stuff from China, especially with the made in India program.

The recently built Sardar Patel statue was also imported from China, you can't even build a home grown statue of a national hero. You guys are still importing most of the things from China because they are better quality and cheaper.

Please keep the comments relevant, and keep in mind the facts on the ground.

Ok, big boy.
Dude, I have eaten food made in India, on a regular basis for over a decade, been gifted Indian made clothing, eaten from Indian made dishes and seen Indian made items at my friends homes.

There is nothing to shout about, mostly the quality is very low, even by Pakistani standards. Everyone exports, exporting things is not a big deal.

Stick with the topic and stay relevant. Pakistan and India have no relations, how can you suggest joint cooperation, don't you see it does not make sense. If Indian trains were so good, India would not be importing stuff from China, especially with the made in India program.

The recently built Sardar Patel statue was also imported from China, you can't even build a home grown statue of a national hero. You guys are still importing most of the things from China because they are better quality and cheaper.

Please keep the comments relevant, and keep in mind the facts on the ground.
well if till 2019 Pakistan was importing stuff worth 2 b usd from India every year , they weren't doing it because they love India.
I have already said before, India Chinese relations are bad at the moment, Chinese usa relations are very bad , but these are mature economies. They don't cut their nose to spite their face. Unending illogical hate has to end at some time.
It's in Pakistan's interest to get the best deals for their economy. If its from India , so be it. That's how economy's are made self sustaining rather than on emotional decisions and then going around asking for aid or loans.

well if till 2019 Pakistan was importing stuff worth 2 b usd from India every year , they weren't doing it because they love India.
I have already said before, India Chinese relations are bad at the moment, Chinese usa relations are very bad , but these are mature economies. They don't cut their nose to spite their face. Unending illogical hate has to end at some time.
It's in Pakistan's interest to get the best deals for their economy. If its from India , so be it. That's how economy's are made self sustaining rather than on emotional decisions and then going around asking for aid or loans.

Ok, you are a boring troll.
I already told you, trade happens, its not a big deal, you even imported the statue of your national hero from China, India couldn't make it domestically.
What's there to shout about? It's childish.

Now you are bringing America and China into this discussion, are you feeling OK?
Go play with someone else, I don't have time for trolls.

Ok, you are a boring troll.
I already told you, trade happens, its not a big deal, you even imported the statue of your national hero from China, India couldn't make it domestically.
What's there to shout about? It's childish.

Now you are bringing America and China into this discussion, are you feeling OK?
Go play with someone else, I don't have time for trolls.
great. Asking for better relations and increased trade relations is trolling ? carry on.

great. Asking for better relations and increased trade relations is trolling ? carry on.

You did not ask for better relations, you peddled different issues that have no relevance and presented a false truth about the great quality of Indian products over everyone else, I told you have experience with so called Indian quality. I think we can live without Indian fantasies.
Then you went on to discuss US/China relations, why?

Try being honest, that will do a lot more to improve relations then empty statements.

I am assuming you are a karachiite? where will all that space come from in karachi to run them on land?

When you can't even afford a basic on-ground level transport system what's this halabala in making flyovers? What is this Pakistani mentality? Without a flyover what's going to happen?

The world over is ok using on-ground level rail/metros. Atleast have something rather than nothing.

Planners need to take a look at a map, buy up 1000 metrobuses, and take away a lane on roads and force people to transport over car. If people need to showbaz their new 2022 Mehran they can do it in backed-up traffic.

It is almost one month since the Green Line bus service became fully operational. It is very popular with people, too, but many, especially the elderly, complain that most escalators and lifts are out of order or they have been switched off at many of the 22 bus stations making it very difficult for them to use the bus service.

Tabbasum Shabbir eyed the flight of stairs before her at the Hyderi Station before taking a deep breath and attempting them. She would stop and wait after every five or six steps. “I have often asked the men in uniform here to kindly turn on the escalators but I am told that they have deliberately kept them off because turning them on invites children to go up and down on them,” the woman sighed.

“So many times we see children doing the same thing on the escalators in shopping malls but the malls don’t shut off their escalators, or even lifts for that matter. I don’t understand the issue here,” she said.

“I have bad knees. Even women younger than me have bad knees these days. We would really appreciate it if the Green Line bus people would open their hearts to folks like us, too,” she added

Attach files
273042411_10166322460350442_1437051501392590174_n.jpg

When you can't even afford a basic on-ground level transport system what's this halabala in making flyovers? What is this Pakistani mentality? Without a flyover what's going to happen?

The world over is ok using on-ground level rail/metros. Atleast have something rather than nothing.

Planners need to take a look at a map, buy up 1000 metrobuses, and take away a lane on roads and force people to transport over car. If people need to showbaz their new 2022 Mehran they can do it in backed-up traffic.
they can afford it easily. elevated track is the best way to utilize space. the pics i posted were from rest of the world, not from pakistan. what is this foreigner mentality that they know better than a person living here

also, even mumbai has elevated track. its not showbazi if it provides utility. but, as always, the govt just wants to loot karachi for its tax, but doesnt want to do anything in return.

they can afford it easily. elevated track is the best way to utilize space.

Afford it from where? An ADB, IMF, WB loan? The f-ing BISP is running on loans. Schools made on loans. Hospitals loans. Water canal? Loan. Government employee salaries? Loan.

When you get money to pay for something from a loan, it isn't "afford".

ISLAMABAD: The Central Development Working Party (CDWP) on Thursday cleared a total of three development projects with a cumulative estimated cost of about Rs280 billion, including the Karachi Circular Railway (KCR).

The meeting presided over by Deputy Chairman Planning Commission Dr Jahanzeb Khan finalised at Rs273.071bn the cost of KCR as a modern urban railway project and requested the Executive Committee of the National Economic Council (Ecnec) to approve its implementation in the Public-Private Partnership (PPP) mode on a build-operate-transfer basis.

A meeting of the board of Public-Private Partnership Authority (P3A) presided over by Planning Minister Asad Umar on Jan 25 had asked the Railways Division and the Planning Commission to finalise the cost estimates and submit them to the CDWP for scrutiny and subsequent approval by the Ecnec.

An official statement said the 43-km dual track of the Urban Rail Mass Transit System will be constructed in a period of three years on a PPP basis. The main objective of the project is to provide reliable, safe and eco-friendly public transport to the metropolitan city of Karachi.

The project is expected to serve a daily ridership of 457,000 which is expected to increase to one million a day by the end of the 33-year concession period. It will deploy the use of electric trains and will be operational round the week. The project involves 30 stations along the corridor covering the most densely populated areas of Karachi.

As per the route alignment, KCR commences from the existing Karachi city station, moves along the mainline of PR on Drigh Road Station. It further goes across Shahrah-e-Faisal and enters into Gulistan-e-Johar, and Gulshan-e-Iqbal. After passing through the older residential areas of North Nazimabad, Nazimabad leads to the SITE area and further to the Port, then reaches back to Karachi City Station.

Under the transaction structure approved by the board of P3A, the private sector will finance, develop and run the project on commercial lines. The transaction structure proposed by the consultants/transaction advisers envisaged about Rs533bn government subsidy over the 33-year project life for electricity and major operation and maintenance costs which were rejected by the board. The project cost was initially estimated at about Rs201bn but has gone up because of delays and viability gap financing.

The federal government would finance 40pc of the revised cost of the project that would work out at about Rs80-90bn and provide this financing to the concessionaire at the outset (first three years) to help operationalise the project.

On the issue of 40pc (Rs80-90bn) government cost-sharing, the P3A board decided that the railway board would be asked to lease out for 99 years 13 properties en route the KCR project to meet the initial financing since the profit would ultimately flow to Pakistan Railways. Alternatively, in case of the railway board’s disagreement, the federal government would provide the funding out of Public Sector Development Programme but then the return on that funding would be directed to the federal government instead of Railways.

The CDWP also approved Gujranwala Institute of Nuclear Medicine and Radiotherapy (Phase-II) with a revised cost of Rs3.280bn and a project of Social Health Protection Initiatives of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government at a cost of Rs3.366bn.

Published in Dawn, February 11th, 2022
Aik aik pesa kha lia jaeyga iska. Ham per meherbani karo, yeh paisa "Karachi" pe kherch mat karo. PPP ko rishwat dyni hain tu direct do, hamara naam mat lo.

I am assuming you are a karachiite? where will all that space come from in karachi to run them on land? raised/elevated rail is the way to go. will save space and will not put burden on already congested roads and streets or the pak railways infra. contractor sinkhole or not, this is the way to go.

something like this:
View attachment 814487

or this:
View attachment 814486
That's not how they will build it in Pakistan. It will still take up the space and render it useless for anything use by putting big concrete pillars in the middle. It's better to keep them on the ground.

As a rail fan, its exciting to see the subcontinent finally improving its intra and inter city rail infrastructure to the 21st century level.
Pakistan should involve the Indian railway in upgrading its networks as we share pretty common issues.
Also India now has atleast 4 very modern metro coaches manufacturing units , which can supply modern coaches at competitive rates.
I was seeing the Chinese supplied coaches to the new Lahore metro and it looks dated as compared to the Indian coaches. Frankly even the few coaches China has supplied to Indian metros under competitive bidding, look better than the Lahore ones.
Quality of the metro rail rolling stock that is built by Chinese and Indian manufactures may differ. But we are not likely to have a quantitative analysis on that. How does the cost per unit comparison look like between these two parties?

Also, India should be prepared to provide soft loans at competitive terms to be able to export such rolling stock. Sri Lankan or Bangaldesh cities may be an option in the next decades, but Pakistan will not bite.

Quality of the metro rail rolling stock that is built by Chinese and Indian manufactures may differ. But we are not likely to have a quantitative analysis on that. How does the cost per unit comparison look like between these two parties?

Also, India should be prepared to provide soft loans at competitive terms to be able to export such rolling stock. Sri Lankan or Bangaldesh cities may be an option in the next decades, but Pakistan will not bite.
Bangladesh should definitely be a target,
Atleast 3-4 Bangali cities should have this system as they're densely populated

Bangladesh should definitely be a target,
Atleast 3-4 Bangali cities should have this system as they're densely populated
Yes, Japan and China will be interested to fund that as well. If 3 or more cities start the project in close time frame, then rolling stock can be manufactured in Bangladesh as well. But that would be a hard bargain for Bangladesh.

they can afford it easily. elevated track is the best way to utilize space. the pics i posted were from rest of the world, not from pakistan. what is this foreigner mentality that they know better than a person living here

also, even mumbai has elevated track. its not showbazi if it provides utility. but, as always, the govt just wants to loot karachi for its tax, but doesnt want to do anything in return.
Viaducts are much easier and cheaper to build in a crowded city but they are a eyesore. Western cities avoid them for this reason.
Option is underground metros but their cost is 5 times per km of overground viaducts.
At grade ie on ground level is not possible now in cities unless you have a working dictatorship like China and land acquisition is not a issue.
India has no choice but to go for viaducts in most places and UG where population density is very high.
For Pakistan too viaducts is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom