What's new

Rs 50,000 crore contest to build future combat vehicle kicks off today

@Abingdonboy @MilSpec @SpArK @AUSTERLITZ @nair @anant_s @Vauban @Taygibay @Water Car Engineer
From a report by Ernst and Young published in Jan 2016, it covers basically
  • Basic requirements
  • Assessment of Developmental Agendas (DAs)
  • Assessment Criteria (with break up and %)
  • Technology Transfer
This is a pretty detailed work....

View attachment 294064

View attachment 294065

View attachment 294066
Bloody hell, no wonder OFB has been given a pass to the final, they would be ripped apart in the Assesment of Technical capability (with the largest weighting of 34.24%) focusing on:

-Patents held
-Amount expended in R&D in the past 7 years
-Similar projects succesfully completed in the past 7 years (interestingly, could the Kestral count in TATA SED's favour here?)
-etc

@Water Car Engineer @anant_s @Levina @Ankit Kumar well worth a read^

+ @PARIKRAMA is it just me or is there no mention of a wheeled FICV variant?

Isnt this a bit costly considering bmp2 costs around 6-7cr a pop
BMP-2 is 1960s tech, that's like saying the LCA costs a lot when you can get the MiG-21 for a fraction of the price.

Which ATGM we will be using anyways
Nag??

Not yet confirmed... Preferably NAG, may be spike.
I don't think that is part of the EOI, the EOI simply outlines what the IA wants and these DAs present an offer. So whilst the EOI states they want an ATGM and MMG and other such systems, it doesn't specify which just like they don't specify what engine or gearbox they want. The IA outlines the parameters and it is up to the DAs to meet them.

Perhaps, L&T's consortium will offer the NAG given the work L&T has done on the NAMICA's launcher.

-Patents held
-Amount expended in R&D in the past 7 years
-Similar projects succesfully completed in the past 7 years (interestingly, could the Kestral count in TATA SED's favour here?)
-etc

Its clear that technology tie up to the best vendor will get the deal as technical parameters being 34%+ in scoring with emphasis on actual research, patent and work seems clearly to suggest that we are looking at good partners in final 2 selection

Thats why i refrained from OFB commenting as if you see the structure, the whole process, OFB cannot compete much.. Its very very difficult for them.

Did you see the third last point which says
upload_2016-2-16_12-7-14.png

That implies role of OFB is clearly defined,,

Interestingly the last point
upload_2016-2-16_12-7-54.png

Thats the key here.. IPR with the MOD after MOD pays i guess the 80% developmental cost..

So looking at the report i see very well these competitors

1. Tata Motors+ Bharat Forge+General Dynamics
2. Tata Power+ L&T+Mahindra* + Benefit from Dusan + BAE+ Samsung Heavy

*- Assuming tie up happens and BAE JV benefit could come in for this consortium

The above 2 has done lots of ground work for DRDO in multiple capacities... And thus are at present the strongest competitors

The rest Pipavav Defence; Rolta India; Punj Lloyd; Titagarh Wagons - they need solid partners in JV mode to get a footing into the FICV plan especially on tech parameters

Thus, i have a strong suspicion we already know the final 2 from present data.. Unless something drastically changes, more or less this should go as per the above..

@Abingdonboy @MilSpec @SpArK @AUSTERLITZ @nair @anant_s @Vauban @Taygibay @Water Car Engineer
From a report by Ernst and Young published in Jan 2016, it covers basically
  • Basic requirements
  • Assessment of Developmental Agendas (DAs)
  • Assessment Criteria (with break up and %)
  • Technology Transfer
This is a pretty detailed work....

View attachment 294064

View attachment 294065

View attachment 294066

@waz @WebMaster @Khafee @MilSpec @AUSTERLITZ

This guy @PARIKRAMA deserve better position, couldn't understand why he is not promoted yet !!

Also other than Rafael what other Israeli company is there which can do such projects?
IMI, unless still banned in India, Elbit, and even IAI.

Israel already has two different prototypes under FMCV project, but they are not in commercial phase yet, and run only by Weapon System & Technological Infrastructure R&D Administration.

IMI, unless still banned in India, Elbit, and even IAI.

Israel already has two different prototypes under FMCV project, but they are not in commercial phase yet, and run only by Weapon System & Technological Infrastructure R&D Administration.
My good sir, thanks a lot for that information.. Are you referring to Rakiya future manned combat vehicle (FMCV)?
Would it be possible for you to give some open source link to read about the 2 different prototype development may be even from local media (in english) of course?

I would love to read about them and know more.. Thanks again..

My good sir, thanks a lot for that information.. Are you referring to Rakiya future manned combat vehicle (FMCV)?
Would it be possible for you to give some open source link to read about the 2 different prototype development may be even from local media (in english) of course?

I would love to read about them and know more.. Thanks again..
Exactly. Rakiya (Hebrew: Horizon), also an acronym for Future Combat Land Vehicle, which somehow became FMCV.

Little is known, but it is safe to say that the first prototype, called Eitan, is a 8x8 wheeled vehicle, and the second prototype, called Carmel, is a tracked vehicle. Both prototypes are within 32-35 tonnes.

Some sources:

Israel Builds First Prototype of Future Fighting Vehicle
Israel Defense Industries Unveil Prototypes for New Generation Armored Vehicles | Jewish & Israel News Algemeiner.com

Exactly. Rakiya (Hebrew: Horizon), also an acronym for Future Combat Land Vehicle, which somehow became FMCV.

Little is known, but it is safe to say that the first prototype, called Eitan, is a 8x8 wheeled vehicle, and the second prototype, called Carmel, is a tracked vehicle. Both prototypes are within 32-35 tonnes.

Some sources:

Israel Builds First Prototype of Future Fighting Vehicle
Israel Defense Industries Unveil Prototypes for New Generation Armored Vehicles | Jewish & Israel News Algemeiner.com

Thank you so much..

Interesting development... As you rightly said, Carmel seems to be on the heavier side for us as our upper cap seems to be 18-20 Tonnes whereas Carmel is 32 Tonnes.. Eitan is expected around 35 Tonnes again out of our specification.

Perhaps If India can develop a lighter vehicle model and incorporate the technology of these FMCVs, we may end up seeing them directly in OFBs via Government route.

Or may be via the consortium partner route with other members...

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom