What's new

Rs 1.70 billion laptop scandal in Punjab

masoomchichora

Reaction score
By Adnan Adil
Friday, April 06, 2012
Lahore: By procuring 110,000 laptops with inferior and outdated processors through a local company instead of directly from the manufacturing company at a much higher than normal price, the Punjab government incurred a loss of at least Rs 1.7 billion to the provincial kitty, Daily Times has learnt.

The Punjab government has bought Dell laptops with outdated Pentium-D processors for Rs 4 billion at a rate of Rs 37,000 per laptop. But the retail market value of this machine is not more than a maximum of Rs 25,000.

In the case of purchase in bulk, the machine’s price would not have exceeded more than Rs 20,000 per piece. Thus, the Punjab government has paid a whopping amount of Rs 1.70 billion in excess of what it should have spent to buy the lot.

Sources say the Punjab government favoured the supplier company by providing it the payment in advance for opening the Letter of Credit (LC). This method is called back-to-back LC. The supplier invested no money of its own for the purchase, the sources added.

Under the law, a copy of any government’s contract worth more than Rs 500 million needs to be sent to NAB, but, intriguingly, the Punjab government has not done so, insiders said.

In addition, the laptops distributed by the provincial government do not carry any guarantee, which is in contrast to the normal practice despite the fact all such machines sold by distributors in the market carry at least a one-year guarantee.

The laptops distributed among Punjab’s students are made of Dell, China, bearing model InspironN4050, but the specifications of the machine distributed by the Punjab government are different from the same model in the market. The Dell-InspironN4050 runs on i3 or i5 processors while the machine provided by the government runs on Pentium-D processor – a processor which is slightly advanced than Pentium-4 but less powerful than Dual Core. Other specifications are as following: (a) Pentium-D processor – a 2.1 GHz processor (b) RAM 2 GB, DDR3, and (c) hard disk 320 GB.

The laptops have Linux-based Ubuntu operating system. The BIOS of the laptops is customised for Linux system and does not support Microsoft Windows, which is widely used in Pakistan. To install Microsoft Windows, the BIOS of the laptops requires upgrading that costs Rs 4,000 per laptop. The Punjab Planning and Development (P&D) Department has bought the machines while the Higher Education Department is responsible for the distribution.

Sources say the laptops have not been purchased directly from the Dell company, which is a normal way of procuring machines in bulk. Instead, the machines were procured through a Pakistani company. When machines in bulk are purchased by large companies or governments from the manufacturers, they are available in less than half the retail price. In this case, the machine’s realistic price could not be more than Rs 20,000 in the wholesale agreement. The government asked the interested parties to submit a hefty amount of Rs 30 million as a surety amount, which crowded out other bidders because they could not submit this amount. Only one company remained in the field and thus enjoyed virtual monopoly to fix the price of the laptops.

The government opened a back-to-back LC to favour the supplier. It means the government provided the company money in advance for opening the LC. Thus, the supplying company invested not a penny to buy these machines from Dell, China. The Punjab government provided all the money, while the supplier reaped huge benefits.

The processor and the motherboard of the laptops are a redundant technology for the last five years. After the Pentium-D (a slightly modified version of Pentium-4) advanced processors of Dual Core, Core 2 Duo, i3, i5 and i7 were introduced in the market. No company now sells laptops of this P-4 technology. The supplier has made huge profits by using low-quality, redundant and cheap processors in the laptops. The laptop machines with much-advanced processors are available even in the retail market in the same price of Rs 37,000.

Incompetence and corruption, only the death sentence applies in these cases for those stupid enough.

Mubashir Lucman completely exposed these thugs last night, he had strong written proofs against dengue brothers anyone who still has some doubt can check musbashir's program on youtube and last but not the least if dengue brothers have little bit self respect in them they shud quit after this laptop scam.:tdown:

Adeel, Actually they needs BURNOL...nothing else:rofl:

hahahahahah, what a great sense of humor:rofl:

how many time do i have to post this :lol:
Hassan Nisar, Shoukat Basra Discuusing about laptop Scandal in Khari Baat Luqman ke Saath – 1st may 2012

I have an advice for Mubashir Luqman : If these proofs are soo real and soo authentic and soo solid and he (M.L) is a "True Patriot" then plssss go to the courts.....
>You are a very very rich person, just one night income of yours is enough for the court fee.
>Any political party like PTI or PPP can help you for the court fee.
>Last but not the least, there are NGOs who can fight this suit for public interest.
but i guarantee you this, he will never go to the courts... coz he knows that everything he has "GENERATED" has no solid grounds,aur adalat mai lainay k dainay parr jain gey. He only Generates such thing to create Mist/Fog so he can hide the good, people remains confused and no party can have simple majority (divide and ROCK).

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh God! Not again........................! For All LUQMAN BABA BENGALI fans! Must Read:
Punjab Laptops Get Wrecked by Twisted Media

LUQMAN BABA's Claim:
Laptops are having pirated Windows 7:

Reply:
Lol, these laptops are using Ubuntu Free OS.

LUQMAN BABA's Claim:
These laptops are using 15 year old Technology

Reply:
Sandy Bridge B950 processors were released in May 2011. I guess BABA used it 15 years back through his super natural abilities.

LUQMAN BABA's Claim:
It costs PKR 19,000 not PKR 37,700.

Reply:
Why not purchase few pieces for me at that cost? I will give you 2000 extra per piece. :P

I have an advice for Mubashir Luqman : If these proofs are soo real and soo authentic and soo solid and he (M.L) is a "True Patriot" then plssss go to the courts.....
>You are a very very rich person, just one night income of yours is enough for the court fee.
>Any political party like PTI or PPP can help you for the court fee.
>Last but not the least, there are NGOs who can fight this suit for public interest.
but i guarantee you this, he will never go to the courts... coz he knows that everything he has "GENERATED" has no solid grounds,aur adalat mai lainay k dainay parr jain gey. He only Generates such thing to create Mist/Fog so he can hide the good, people remains confused and no party can have simple majority (divide and ROCK).

hehehe,,, contraryto ur "guarantee" he heeded to ur kind advice ...
=
=
Mubashir knocks the door of LHC in laptop scam
=
Mubashir Luqman versus PML-N showdown begins!
=

hehehe,,, contraryto ur "guarantee" he heeded to ur kind advice ...
=
=
Mubashir knocks the door of LHC in laptop scam
=
Mubashir Luqman versus PML-N showdown begins!
=

My Dear Fellow, The reason behind M.Luqman's act of going court is... Maryum Nawaz post at her twitr that PML N is preparing a suit against M.Luqman. you can surf and check M.L's desperate posts (if not deleted) after MN's post...

its just matter of time, PTI will exposed and people will curse PTI...
+ M.Luqman k sat court mai jo honi hai na wo to aap b dekho gey and mai b :cheesy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQIPBVWxEgM

My Dear Fellow, The reason behind M.Luqman's act of going court is... Maryum Nawaz post at her twitr that PML N is preparing a suit against M.Luqman. you can surf and check M.L's desperate posts (if not deleted) after MN's post...

its just matter of time, PTI will exposed and people will curse PTI...
+ M.Luqman k sat court mai jo honi hai na wo to aap b dekho gey and mai b :cheesy:

Hey! don't drag PTI into this sh8t. LUQMAN BABA is more renowned for being on the payroll of PPP even before the emergence of PTI as a power.

LUQMAN is a rat of Musharraf regime along with hussian nasir who was x PTI member.nothing new Just playing old dirty games in the name of change:)

God bless Pakistan n it's People .PML N Zindabad:pakistan:

Back
Top Bottom