What's new

Royal Enfield...A full circle indeed!

hat's when I finally decided to open the drum up and found the brake shoe to be shaved clean of its breaking surface and the leather was all around the drum after having been ripped from the brake shoe surface. I removed the brake shoe and the tyre started spinning again like there is no problem, drove to a nearby mechanic and had a new brake show installed in its place in addition to working on some of the damage due to the crash.

Usage of poor adhesive/Or Improper assembly of brake shoe...... Normally they use asbestos over alluminium castings as brake shoe.... Normally this issue would happen in early days of the bike, 100 km to 1000 km max....... Have come across such issues, but luckily those issues has never resulted in crash, because the users bring it before it oculd..... I guess Poor adhesive, and your ignorance almost cost your life........

Pakistani Juggad :azn:

If its causing problems but works, be thankful it works :p:

True, but a rider must always remain responsive to any potential problems with his ride. The consequences can be deadly. You were lucky indeed. I do not mean to lecture you Sir, but maintenance on a bike is crucial. Riding is dangerous enough already as it is, why add to the danger?

True, but a rider must always remain responsive to any potential problems with his ride. The consequences can be deadly. You were lucky indeed. I do not mean to lecture you Sir, but maintenance on a bike is crucial. Riding is dangerous enough already as it is, why add to the danger?

Have come across several incidents of accidents due to poor maintenance or lack of it....... Several guys believe only on brake down maintenance instead of preventive maintenance.....

Usage of poor adhesive/Or Improper assembly of brake shoe...... Normally they use asbestos over alluminium castings as brake shoe.... Normally this issue would happen in early days of the bike, 100 km to 1000 km max....... Have come across such issues, but luckily those issues has never resulted in crash, because the users bring it before it oculd..... I guess Poor adhesive, and your ignorance almost cost your life........

It happened at precisely the 1330th km of my bike. So your hunch is spot on about the time of the accident. I am guessing the quality adhesive had a part to play but most likely the installation might have been a contributing factor in itself. Yeah, I decided I'm going to be more receptive to these issues from now on.

In hindsight, it was a pretty stupid decision to not have it checked out but at the time, I thought I had a fair idea of what the issue was and decided that it did not warrant an immediate visit to the mechanic. I guess the misdiagnosis made me somewhat complacent about the danger I was putting myself and others on the road in.

It happened at precisely the 1330km of my bike. So your hunch is spot on about the time of the accident. I am guessing the quality adhesive had a part to play but most likely the installation might have been a contributing factor in itself. Yeah, I decided I'm going to be more receptive to these issues from now on.

Normally when this happens, there are 2 things which you can notice....

1) There will be a drop in brake efficiency
2) There will be a definite noise from front wheel while applying brake..... (the noise can vary from model to model)

Any thing related wheel/brake/transmission should be immediately taken care.....

DSC01879.jpg

@Icarus, looks like Mr.Zaheer beat me to the Bullet "export venture"! :cry:

Nowadays, non-asbestos materials are use for the Brake Shoes, asbestos based compounds were made illegal in India about 15 years ago. Hindustan Ferodo was the first manufacturer to change then. Then the bonding agent is a metal-to-composite agent, one such brand was something called Thixo or something like that; it is bonded under pressure and at a certain curing temperature for a certain fixed time. All parameters have to be met for an efficient bond.

There was a news of Royal Enfield going to US, They are planning to open their exclusive showroom shortly........ Indian version of harley.....

Continental GT too???? To be honest that was one of the worst bike i have ever driven

Whaaaat? It looks like a pretty kicking two wheeler. Even has stellar reviews on the site.

Back
Top Bottom