What's new

Robotics Revolution is Hyped

For one, India’s working-age population is increasing far faster than the number of jobs in the formal sector: roughly 1 million a month versus 1 million a year, according to a report by JustJobs Network, a labor research institute.

That's scary if it's true. The entire population of Singapore is around 5 million, and India can add that amount of people into its existing labour force in 5 months time. Talk about size. :lol:

That's scary if it's true. The entire population of Singapore is around 5 million, and India can add that amount of people into its existing labour force in 5 months time. Talk about size. :lol:

That's a disaster in the making, if one understands the quality of education in India, not to mention other factors such as infrastructure, ease of doing business, etc. To make an economy successful, all these factors must be considered.

Also, the so called "primitive" jobs are one of the least ammenable to automation. Like for example apparel making. Things like sewing etc. are not at all done by robots, nor is it likely to be done by them in the next 20 years.

You are right that sewing is more difficult to replace since it needs to be very precise. It's still more cost-effective to hire cheap labour than to buy a robot for such precision work. But I wouldn't rule it out that it has the possibility to be replaced within 20 years.

Robots are set to take the jobs of millions of Asian workers in the coming years

In the next few decades, about 56% of all salaried workers in Cambodia, Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam could be displaced by automation and advanced technologies, such as 3D printing. That’s the conclusion of an extensive series of new studies by the International Labour Organization (ILO).

Mass-scale displacement won’t happen overnight, but it’s already in the works. Robots, for instance, are increasingly handling the labor previously done by low-skilled workers in industries such as automotive and electronics manufacturing. For governments and employers willing to educate and train workers for new, high-tech jobs, the shift could benefit all as it raises productivity and wages. But employers and countries that continue to rely on low-cost manual labor as their chief competitive advantage risk being left behind in the global economy, the ILO said.

Of the five industries examined by the studies, workers in textiles, clothing, and footwear were the most at risk. The sector encompasses 9 million jobs across the ASEAN member states the report covers, the majority held by women. These jobs often entail simple manual tasks that are becoming easily automated, such as cutting fabric.

In Vietnam, the ILO report documents, one clothing manufacturer that invested in automated cutting machines last year was able to replace 15 workers for each machine. In 18 months, it will prove more cost-effective than continuing to employ the workers. Fewer workers are needed, and those employed each manage three to four machines.

Automation won’t necessarily proliferate across the ASEAN countries, according to the ILO. The spread of robotic sewing machines, or “sewbots,” will likely happen in Europe and the US, as companies seek to bring manufacturing and production closer to their main consumer markets. Adidas recently unveiled a new robot “Speedfactory” in Germany, and plans to shift production from China.

412008.jpg

The robots are coming…to make your sneakers.(Adidas)

Though China, too, is putting money into machines to remain competitive with its lower-cost neighbors. Take Esquel Group, a Hong Kong-based firm that produces more than 100 million shirts a year, which has invested in automation to boost productivity as Chinese wages rise.
It’s Southeast Asian workers who are most at risk of losing their jobs, according to the report. Some 64% of textile, clothing, and footwear workers in Indonesia could be replaced by robots. Those numbers rise to 86% in Vietnam, and 88% in Cambodia.

“Countries that compete on low-wage labour need to reposition themselves,” Deborah France-Massin, director of the ILO’s Bureau for Employers’ Activities, said in a statement. “Policymakers need to create a more conducive environment that leads to greater human capital investment, research and development, and high-value production.”

The report doesn’t cover Bangladesh as it’s not in ASEAN, but there’s probably no country more dependent on cheap manual labor. The garment industry, which employs 4 million workers, accounts for about 82% of the country’s total exports.

Such a situation is problematic, says Sabina Dewan, president of the JustJobs Network, a think-tank focused on global employment and development. “If I perceive low-cost labor to be my competitive advantage, why would I want to upgrade the skills of my workers when they’re just going to ask for higher wages?” she says. Bangladesh’s dependence on one sector also means workers have few other industries to absorb them if they lose jobs to automation.

“In the long-run, such a model that relies on exploiting cheap labor is unsustainable,” she says.

http://qz.com/727102/robots-are-set...illions-of-asian-workers-in-the-coming-years/

https://www.theatlas.com/charts/N16A1V1tg

All of this is incorrect.

Neither am I a Congress supporter, nor a hindrance to Modi's plans.

Nor am I a student in Chemistry. Nor did I say that I have talked to many "top" Chinese economists. I have talked to many Chinese economists though.

Also, the so called "primitive" jobs are one of the least ammenable to automation. Like for example apparel making. Things like sewing etc. are not at all done by robots, nor is it likely to be done by them in the next 20 years.
The more dreadful thing than cruel reality is your outdate and stereotypical notion, although you say your are chemistry students in university, and had had many convesation with Chinese economist, I don't feel what you get from these, As a normal Chinese, I do even very worry over China lagging behind in the coming revolution, you are so optimistic, maybe you indian are optimistic innately.

Last edited:
That's a disaster in the making, if one understands the quality of education in India, not to mention other factors such as infrastructure, ease of doing business, etc. To make an economy successful, all these factors must be considered.
In China, u get the first place or top100 of a province in the collage entrance exam, Peking University, Tsinghua University and University of HK will beg you...they do beg, and they can even give you money and house...

But in some country, the first one is a total illiterate.
http://www.dnaindia.com/india/repor...makes-the-most-honest-confession-ever-2228958

It's the Indian version of Wuwei.
That's why Chinese did not choose Taoism as the mainstream political ideology.

13-53-00-47-512177.jpg
20140113jjd.jpg

Inaction is action there.

Well, even if they want to take action it's not easy because of the nature of her political system. I think I read before that even Modi faces various obstacles from the Congress to push forward economic policies and liberalize.

But India managed to stay as one country because of the same political system, otherwise she will fragment into different states.

It's the Indian version of Wuwei.

:laughcry:

Your compatriots with MBA get 10000 rupees per month....Come here to be a toilet cleaner, can get several times of that salary. And it's not some low caste jobs in East Asia. You are also advised to quit your chemistry engineering course....No future

Wow, you are a ****!

And you know nothing about Indian Education Sector if you think MBAs in India get 10,000 ruppees per month.

The average salary from my college itself is around 12 lakh per annum, around 100,000 per month. (That is average)

My college also runs a small management institute called Shailesh J Mehta School of Management, where the average pay packages are around 15 lakh per annum. (1 lakh= 100,000)

The top MBA colleges, like IIMs easily get you pay packages in the range of 25-30 Lakh per annum.

Wow, you are a ****!

And you know nothing about Indian Education Sector if you think MBAs in India get 10,000 ruppees per month.

The average salary from my college itself is around 12 lakh per annum, around 100,000 per month. (That is average)

My college also runs a small management institute called Shailesh J Mehta School of Management, where the average pay packages are around 15 lakh per annum. (1 lakh= 100,000)

The top MBA colleges, like IIMs easily get you pay packages in the range of 25-30 Lakh per annum.
U check the news yourself.
https://defence.pk/threads/on-hire-indian-mba-grads-for-rs-10-000-per-month-or-less.441300/

Congrats then, you get like ten times of the salary most people are dreaming of.

U check the news itself.
https://defence.pk/threads/on-hire-indian-mba-grads-for-rs-10-000-per-month-or-less.441300/

Congrats then, you get like ten times of the salary most people are dreaming of.

As I said, you don't know Indian Education System.

In Indian Education System, it is unfortunate, but degrees are by themselves useless. There are just so many cheap local colleges, which hand out degrees for some money. In India right now, there are more college seats than their are willing students.

In some places it has become a barter trade. You can give money, and get a degree right now.

So the value of a degree is about the place where you get it from.

The kind of people you are talking about, are the ones, who enter local colleges, give 30-40,000 ruppees for the whole degree, and get it. Largely for show.

But good education shows. (and pays)

As I said, you don't know Indian Education System.

In Indian Education System, it is unfortunate, but degrees are by themselves useless. There are just so many cheap local colleges, which hand out degrees for some money. In India right now, there are more college seats than their are willing students.

In some places it has become a barter trade. You can give money, and get a degree right now.

So the value of a degree is about the place where you get it from.

The kind of people you are talking about, are the ones, who enter local colleges, give 30-40,000 ruppees for the whole degree, and get it. Largely for show.

But good education shows. (and pays)
I didn't claim I know your system and your college in Mumbai as your hilarious claim about economists.

You see, people would rather pay for such useless degree for 1000yuan per month jobs, and they cannot find a job as a worker or a technician....You must demonstrate for this, urging your local MP to make a difference in the job market.

865fda4fjw1erw16mswfzj20sg0izqaa.jpg
865fda4fjw1erw16mdxttj20iz0sggr0.jpg
865fda4fjw1erw16oh10mj20iz0sg113.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't claim I know your system and your college in Mumbai as your hilarious claim about economists.

You see, people would rather pay for such useless degree for 1000yuan per month jobs, and they cannot find a job as a worker or a technician....You must demonstrate for this, urging your local MP to make a difference in the job market.

I am not sure if you understand the value of my college. We come low in International Rankings largely due to the low amount of research expenditure from the government, otherwise my college is a very well known one Internationally.

I am not sure if you understand the value of my college. We come low in International Rankings largely due to the low amount of research expenditure from the government, otherwise my college is a very well known one Internationally.
So what?
Graduates cannot get proper jobs in their own field.
US welcomes you!
In China's private shipping companies, a lot of your colleagues work there.

Last edited:
It said Foxconn is in a transitional period from labour intensive to full automation. This is exactly what I have mentioned in our last discussion that China's industrialization is moving into the next level, also steering oursleves away from labour dependent jobs, And the article said "Last year, about 68,000 industrial robots were sold in the country, up 17 per cent from a year earlier." It wont happen overnight

Back
Top Bottom