What's new

Rio Olympics 2016: Team China News and Images

Russia did very well considering they had 111 athletes not allowed to compete due to having an independent foreign policy.

They only got 3 less golds and 21 less total medals than 2012 with 111 less athletes.

Russia finished 4th in gold medal count and 4th in total medal count.

That's very good.

Congratulations to Russian athletes who had to endure racist demonisation by the Western propaganda mouthpieces.

Even under extreme hatred and pressure they performed very admirably.

Well done China to all your athletes. Four years from now it's Japan! I bet China will be pumped.
All the best.

Maybe this is the wake up call China needed before the 2020 Olympics in Japan.

That Olympics will be very personal for China considering the rivalry with Japan.

Nothing would please China than to beat Japan in their backyard.

Lots of young athletes were tried this Olympics to give them experience for when 2020 arrives. China did the same thing in 2004 by putting young athletes to give them experience for when 2008 arrived.

This Olympics is a timely wake up call for China.

Maybe this is the wake up call China needed before the 2020 Olympics in Japan.

That Olympics will be very personal for China considering the rivalry with Japan.

Nothing would please China than to beat Japan in their backyard.

Lots of young athletes were tried this Olympics to give them experience for when 2020 arrives. China did the same thing in 2004 by putting young athletes to give them experience for when 2008 arrived.

This Olympics is a timely wake up call for China.

Yes, playing Japan on home turf will be a very big motivating factor. I'm sure the Chinese organisers will go back, watch the footage, implement new regimes and improve. Four years seems a long way off but in reality it's just round the corner.

View attachment 327950

taekwondo girl, Olympic Champion +67KG class, Zheng Shuyin, born in 1994, 1.92m height

View attachment 327948

0CfnWN00.jpeg

zsy.jpg

Last edited:
She looks great there and did in compeition. Very tall woman often lose their feminine touch a little, she doesn't. At 1.92m she might find it hard to find a husband lol.

Her boyfriend is another Taekwondo player Zhao Shuai at 1.88m, who also won gold medal in Rio. One of our volleyball girls said yesterday in an interview, she wouldn't consider a boy under 2m. :cry:

Last edited:
I have become a great fan of Chinese women volleyball team, They displayed excellent skill and gamesmanship during semi final against Netherland sand in final against Serbia. Both Netherland and Serbia played excellent and gave a tough fight but Chinese blockers, especially the "little apple" and the aggressive attacker Zhu Ting had no match. They deserved the Gold. Congratulations to our Chinese brothers on this and all other victories.

What do Chinese athletes do after retirement?
(CRI Online) August 22, 2016

With the 31st Summer Olympics drawing to a close in Rio, many Chinese athletes have come back loaded with honor and glory after finishing their competitions.

Thousands of fans have been spotted in various airports welcoming home their idols.

While some veteran athletes have announced their retirement following the Olympics, some may wonder what these athletes will do now.

Possible options include:

Become a coach

4470446015851550429.jpg

Quite a lot of athletes may be loath to leave their beloved sports, so becoming a coach or gym teacher is a good choice.

Lang Ping is one of the best examples.

As a former Chinese top volleyball player, Lang Ping became a volleyball coach after her retirement and is now the head coach of the Chinese women's national volleyball team.

The Chinese people's love and respect for the former volleyball superstar once again soared this morning, as the Chinese volleyball women's team claimed gold at the Rio Games.

Another good example is Liu Guoliang, the head coach of the Chinese men's table tennis team.

As a player, Liu won numerous titles at major world tournaments including the World Championships, the World Cup and the Olympic Games and he is considered by many to be one of the greatest players of all time.

Now as a coach, Liu leads the Chinese paddlers to new peaks in their sporting lives.

Start a business

15068568324610480464.jpg

When examining Chinese athletes who later became successful entrepreneurs after retirement, the most impressive is Li Ning, a former legendary gymnast.

Now his sportswear company Li-Ning has become a widely known enterprise in China.

Another similar case is Li Xiaopeng. The former Chinese gymnast is now the President of Viva China Holdings Limited.

Former Chinese diver Lao Lishi opened an online store on Taobao, an online shopping platform owned by China's e-commerce giant Alibaba Group. She even became one of the eight people to ring the opening bell at the New York Stock Exchange, marking Alibaba's record-breaking initial public offering (IPO) on Wall Street in September, 2014.

Become a government official

18395482762568285206.jpg

Media reports say among all the 222 Chinese Olympic champions from 1984 to 2012, 60 percent became government officials after retirement.

Wang Nan, for example, is a former Chinese paddler and grand slammer. She retired after the 2008 Beijing Games and began to work for the Chinese Central Committee of the Communist Young League the following year.

Yang Wei, a former gymnast, went back to his hometown and became an official at the local sports bureau in central China's Hubei Province.

Go to college

6612499873944796132.jpg

Some athletes choose to go to college for further study after retirement.

Wu Minxia, an Olympic diving great, announced her retirement after winning the women's synchronized 3m springboard at the Rio Games. She said she plans to return to college for a sports-related postgraduate program in Shanghai.

He Kexin, a former Chinese artistic gymnast, whose difficulty score on bars in 2008 was one of the highest in the world, is now a postgraduate student at Beijing Normal University.

Be a son/daughter, husband/wife, father/mother, friend …

15522256871231599648.jpg

Aside from all the different career possibilities, maybe the most neglected role for a retired athlete is a family member.

Athletes have all undergone years of hard training. Some might have left home to move to a provincial training center at a very young age.

No matter how many medals they won or how many great achievements they made, in many people's eyes, they are still the adorable sons and daughters, husbands and wives, fathers and mothers, as well as friends.

Lang Ping bringing back volleyball's golden age in China

As China claimed the gold medal in women's volleyball at the Rio Olympics over the weekend, the team's head coach Lang Ping was praised for her leadership that lifted China's volleyball out of a downturn.

Lang Ping, a well-known name in volleyball, has long been called the "Iron Hammer" in China, a nickname she picked up during her playing days some 3 decades ago.

She became a head coach in the Italian professional volleyball league, winning the league championship and coach-of-the-year award multiple times, after retiring from China's national volleyball team.

In 2008, she led the United States national women's volleyball team to silver in the Beijing Olympics.

In 2013, Lang returned to China to save the floundering Chinese women's volleyball team.

During an interview with CCTV, Lang Ping looked back on their path to the gold and admitted it was not smooth. "I think because, especially during the pool games, we did not play that well," she said. "So we couldn't think that far ahead. We just said okay, right now it's the quarterfinals, we still have a chance. Let's play real volleyball. Forget about the pressure, forget about the result. Just go ahead and concentrate on the game."

"And then we did it. It was like a miracle," said Lang.

Team China started its campaign with losses against the Netherlands, Serbia and the U.S.

However, the squad managed to finish 4th in the qualifiers, which was good enough to get them into the quarterfinals where they upset defending Olympic champions Brazil.

The victory provided stimulus that beefed up the team's confidence.
"I couldn't believe that we beat the former champion, Brazil. That game really encouraged us," Lang said.

And after getting through the Netherlands and into the final, Lang Ping told her players to try to shake off their previous results and just play "in the moment."

"I think because for both teams, we had a 50 percent chance. The result you can't really think of. You have to concentrate for the game," said Lang. "Because all the teams are the best. So it's going to be really, really hard to beat them, especially at the pool game we lost to Serbia like 3:0. So we had to concentrate to play every point. I think we were also very lucky win two points by set. It's very unusual. I think I'm very thrilled."

In helping lead her squad to victory, Lang Ping has become the first person to win an Olympic volleyball medal as both a coach and a player.

Back in 1984 at the Los Angeles Olympics, she and her teammates helped China to snatch the country's first Olympic gold in volleyball.
Since then, the Chinese women's volleyball team has been set up as a flagship among all Chinese sports teams for their tenacity and fighting spirit.

Their influence is still here: a survey shows that 7 out of 10 homes in China were watching the Olympic final for women's volleyball live on Sunday.

In the post-match interview in Rio, Lang Ping said "the spirit of the Chinese women's volleyball team is to never give up. My duty as the coach is to guide this young team to carry on this spirit."

But, at the same time, she also stressed that "spirit alone will not bring victories. We also need scientific training and management systems."

After returning to the Chinese national team, Lang Ping took a number of bold moves to reform the team, including hiring kinesiotherapists from the U.S. and hand-picking inexperienced but young players.

135621734_14717841415221n.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lol, volleyball final got higher audience rating hen Spring Festival Gala :lol:

Why do Chinese love their women's volleyball team so much

When Chinese women's volleyball team took on Serbia for the Olympic title, 70 percent of Chinese families watched live broadcast on TV, easily beating the audience rating for Lunar New Year Gala.

As team captain Hui Ruoqi hit a powerful spike to seal it 19-25, 25-17, 25-22, 25-23 Saturday night in Rio, applause and cheers almost blew off the roof of Maracanazinho, which is at the side of the iconic Maracana stadium.

Media headlines hailed the victory that brought the Chinese women volleyball back to the Olympic glory after 12 years, paying tribute to legendary head coach Jenny Lang Ping and her 12 players. China's all-important news program Xinwen Lianbo dedicated seven of 30 minutes to relive the story.

"This team has an average age of 24. You can beat them, but you can never break them," said the presenter.

"Thank you Lang Ping for giving us a miracle," said a post on China's top portal Sina.com. Like the Brazilians who eventually won most coveted soccer gold medal, the volleyball title ensured a perfect ending for the Chinese delegation. The team started as underdogs and ended up as champions.

Pushed to the fourth place in group, China met the powerful and two-time Olympic champions Brazil who had unreserved support from capacity home fans in the quarterfinals.

When almost no one believed they could win, the Chinese team came rallied from one set down to beat the hosts 3-2 before they avenged their group loss on the Netherlands in the semifinals.

Among all the Chinese sports teams, the women's volleyball remain the most special one, whose victories had fueled Chinese confidence in the 1980s and still represent the best things that sports can offer to the Chinese: perseverance, courage and unity.

In her playing days, Lang Ping was the embodiment of the "Chinese women's volleyball spirit" as she, dubbed Iron Hammer for her cannon spikes, along with her teammates, won a volleyball grand slam of Olympic Games, World Cup, and world championship in the 1980s when China just started to reform and open up.

They endured extremely arduous training and displayed "never say die" spirit en route to becoming world champions, which made the Chinese believe the country, recovering from political turmoils at that time, could be as strong in the world one day as the volleyball players are in sports.

After over 30 years of reform and opening up nowadays, China believes the "women's volleyball spirit" is never outdated.

"My mom cried when I told her about Lang Ping's team's victory in Rio. She recalled her young days and said Lang was a great player. Now she is a great coach," wrote an internet user.

"My father leapt in the air when China won. He told me with tears in his eyes that great spirit has been with the Chinese volleyball team for years," wrote another.

8ab8cd8f02524fec9bf70a77ed8a1702.jpg

Lang Ping bringing back volleyball's golden age in China

As China claimed the gold medal in women's volleyball at the Rio Olympics over the weekend, the team's head coach Lang Ping was praised for her leadership that lifted China's volleyball out of a downturn.

Lang Ping, a well-known name in volleyball, has long been called the "Iron Hammer" in China, a nickname she picked up during her playing days some 3 decades ago.

She became a head coach in the Italian professional volleyball league, winning the league championship and coach-of-the-year award multiple times, after retiring from China's national volleyball team.

In 2008, she led the United States national women's volleyball team to silver in the Beijing Olympics.

In 2013, Lang returned to China to save the floundering Chinese women's volleyball team.

During an interview with CCTV, Lang Ping looked back on their path to the gold and admitted it was not smooth. "I think because, especially during the pool games, we did not play that well," she said. "So we couldn't think that far ahead. We just said okay, right now it's the quarterfinals, we still have a chance. Let's play real volleyball. Forget about the pressure, forget about the result. Just go ahead and concentrate on the game."

"And then we did it. It was like a miracle," said Lang.

Team China started its campaign with losses against the Netherlands, Serbia and the U.S.

However, the squad managed to finish 4th in the qualifiers, which was good enough to get them into the quarterfinals where they upset defending Olympic champions Brazil.

The victory provided stimulus that beefed up the team's confidence.
"I couldn't believe that we beat the former champion, Brazil. That game really encouraged us," Lang said.

And after getting through the Netherlands and into the final, Lang Ping told her players to try to shake off their previous results and just play "in the moment."

"I think because for both teams, we had a 50 percent chance. The result you can't really think of. You have to concentrate for the game," said Lang. "Because all the teams are the best. So it's going to be really, really hard to beat them, especially at the pool game we lost to Serbia like 3:0. So we had to concentrate to play every point. I think we were also very lucky win two points by set. It's very unusual. I think I'm very thrilled."

In helping lead her squad to victory, Lang Ping has become the first person to win an Olympic volleyball medal as both a coach and a player.

Back in 1984 at the Los Angeles Olympics, she and her teammates helped China to snatch the country's first Olympic gold in volleyball.
Since then, the Chinese women's volleyball team has been set up as a flagship among all Chinese sports teams for their tenacity and fighting spirit.

Their influence is still here: a survey shows that 7 out of 10 homes in China were watching the Olympic final for women's volleyball live on Sunday.

In the post-match interview in Rio, Lang Ping said "the spirit of the Chinese women's volleyball team is to never give up. My duty as the coach is to guide this young team to carry on this spirit."

But, at the same time, she also stressed that "spirit alone will not bring victories. We also need scientific training and management systems."

After returning to the Chinese national team, Lang Ping took a number of bold moves to reform the team, including hiring kinesiotherapists from the U.S. and hand-picking inexperienced but young players.

View attachment 328026

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lol, volleyball final got higher audience rating hen Spring Festival Gala :lol:

Why do Chinese love their women's volleyball team so much

When Chinese women's volleyball team took on Serbia for the Olympic title, 70 percent of Chinese families watched live broadcast on TV, easily beating the audience rating for Lunar New Year Gala.

As team captain Hui Ruoqi hit a powerful spike to seal it 19-25, 25-17, 25-22, 25-23 Saturday night in Rio, applause and cheers almost blew off the roof of Maracanazinho, which is at the side of the iconic Maracana stadium.

Media headlines hailed the victory that brought the Chinese women volleyball back to the Olympic glory after 12 years, paying tribute to legendary head coach Jenny Lang Ping and her 12 players. China's all-important news program Xinwen Lianbo dedicated seven of 30 minutes to relive the story.

"This team has an average age of 24. You can beat them, but you can never break them," said the presenter.

"Thank you Lang Ping for giving us a miracle," said a post on China's top portal Sina.com. Like the Brazilians who eventually won most coveted soccer gold medal, the volleyball title ensured a perfect ending for the Chinese delegation. The team started as underdogs and ended up as champions.

Pushed to the fourth place in group, China met the powerful and two-time Olympic champions Brazil who had unreserved support from capacity home fans in the quarterfinals.

When almost no one believed they could win, the Chinese team came rallied from one set down to beat the hosts 3-2 before they avenged their group loss on the Netherlands in the semifinals.

Among all the Chinese sports teams, the women's volleyball remain the most special one, whose victories had fueled Chinese confidence in the 1980s and still represent the best things that sports can offer to the Chinese: perseverance, courage and unity.

In her playing days, Lang Ping was the embodiment of the "Chinese women's volleyball spirit" as she, dubbed Iron Hammer for her cannon spikes, along with her teammates, won a volleyball grand slam of Olympic Games, World Cup, and world championship in the 1980s when China just started to reform and open up.

They endured extremely arduous training and displayed "never say die" spirit en route to becoming world champions, which made the Chinese believe the country, recovering from political turmoils at that time, could be as strong in the world one day as the volleyball players are in sports.

After over 30 years of reform and opening up nowadays, China believes the "women's volleyball spirit" is never outdated.

"My mom cried when I told her about Lang Ping's team's victory in Rio. She recalled her young days and said Lang was a great player. Now she is a great coach," wrote an internet user.

"My father leapt in the air when China won. He told me with tears in his eyes that great spirit has been with the Chinese volleyball team for years," wrote another.

View attachment 328027
Massive credit must given to zhu ting. She is no doubt currently the best women volleyball spiker at the moment. Despite being quite skinny, her spike is very ferocious and accurate.

I still remember the Wang Yimei. I thought the ideal spiker shall be big and strong like her. Lol..

What do Chinese athletes do after retirement?
(CRI Online) August 22, 2016

With the 31st Summer Olympics drawing to a close in Rio, many Chinese athletes have come back loaded with honor and glory after finishing their competitions.

Thousands of fans have been spotted in various airports welcoming home their idols.

While some veteran athletes have announced their retirement following the Olympics, some may wonder what these athletes will do now.

Possible options include:

Become a coach

4470446015851550429.jpg

Quite a lot of athletes may be loath to leave their beloved sports, so becoming a coach or gym teacher is a good choice.

Lang Ping is one of the best examples.

As a former Chinese top volleyball player, Lang Ping became a volleyball coach after her retirement and is now the head coach of the Chinese women's national volleyball team.

The Chinese people's love and respect for the former volleyball superstar once again soared this morning, as the Chinese volleyball women's team claimed gold at the Rio Games.

Another good example is Liu Guoliang, the head coach of the Chinese men's table tennis team.

As a player, Liu won numerous titles at major world tournaments including the World Championships, the World Cup and the Olympic Games and he is considered by many to be one of the greatest players of all time.

Now as a coach, Liu leads the Chinese paddlers to new peaks in their sporting lives.

Start a business

15068568324610480464.jpg

When examining Chinese athletes who later became successful entrepreneurs after retirement, the most impressive is Li Ning, a former legendary gymnast.

Now his sportswear company Li-Ning has become a widely known enterprise in China.

Another similar case is Li Xiaopeng. The former Chinese gymnast is now the President of Viva China Holdings Limited.

Former Chinese diver Lao Lishi opened an online store on Taobao, an online shopping platform owned by China's e-commerce giant Alibaba Group. She even became one of the eight people to ring the opening bell at the New York Stock Exchange, marking Alibaba's record-breaking initial public offering (IPO) on Wall Street in September, 2014.

Become a government official

18395482762568285206.jpg

Media reports say among all the 222 Chinese Olympic champions from 1984 to 2012, 60 percent became government officials after retirement.

Wang Nan, for example, is a former Chinese paddler and grand slammer. She retired after the 2008 Beijing Games and began to work for the Chinese Central Committee of the Communist Young League the following year.

Yang Wei, a former gymnast, went back to his hometown and became an official at the local sports bureau in central China's Hubei Province.

Go to college

6612499873944796132.jpg

Some athletes choose to go to college for further study after retirement.

Wu Minxia, an Olympic diving great, announced her retirement after winning the women's synchronized 3m springboard at the Rio Games. She said she plans to return to college for a sports-related postgraduate program in Shanghai.

He Kexin, a former Chinese artistic gymnast, whose difficulty score on bars in 2008 was one of the highest in the world, is now a postgraduate student at Beijing Normal University.

Be a son/daughter, husband/wife, father/mother, friend …

15522256871231599648.jpg

Aside from all the different career possibilities, maybe the most neglected role for a retired athlete is a family member.

Athletes have all undergone years of hard training. Some might have left home to move to a provincial training center at a very young age.

No matter how many medals they won or how many great achievements they made, in many people's eyes, they are still the adorable sons and daughters, husbands and wives, fathers and mothers, as well as friends.

All the best to them, especially the couples Lin Dan/Xie XingFang and Oin Kai/He Zi, may they go on to produce lots of little athletes hahaha.

30 years on, fighting spirit of Chinese women's volleyball team is always there

135621653_14717804881281n.jpg

BEIJING, Aug. 21 (Xinhua) -- The Chinese women's volleyball team has won! After more than 30 years of striving through hardships since the 1980s, the Chinese girls earned their third historic Olympic gold medal in Rio De Janeiro on Sunday.

Looking back at the Chinese women's volleyball team's Rio journey, people can only call it "startling by each step" -- being assigned to the so-called "group of death", the Chinese girls stumbled into quarterfinals as only the No. 4 of the group with just two victories in prelims.

But the girls never gave up. After an epic comeback against defending champion Brazil in the quarterfinals and then triumphed against the Netherlands in the semis, they made their way to the final and rewrote history.

The hard-won victory is reminiscent of a bumpy road the national team has taken since the 1980s: Chinese women's volleyball team had risen to the top podium five times in World Championships, World Cups and Olympics in the 1980s but had dropped to obscurity at difficult times.

The crowning of the team in Rio, 32 years after the historic Olympic victory in Los Angeles in 1984, is a vivid portrait of fighting spirit of the Chinese women's volleyball team: to march on with unyieldingness, teamwork and selflessness.

Through ups and downs and fighting along the way, the Chinese women's volleyball team has never forgotten its initial dream. Just like China's coach Lang Ping said:" [My players] never gave up even though there were some nerves with the occasion. We managed to win the match and that is what our team showed the world."

The girls truly deserve the gold medal, as they never lose hope and keep on fighting.

Today, the Chinese need the fighting spirit of the women's volleyball team more than ever. As individuals, living in a time of drastic change with both opportunities and challenges, one needs the spirit to go sure-footed and step by step to reach afar.

For a big nation, trudging forward to achieve development in an increasingly complicated domestic and international environment is never an easy job, and that makes the spirit of perseverance and the determination to fight on more than ever indispensable.

To be a champion, more than a champion! May the fighting spirit of the Chinese women's volleyball team be always with us.

China's volleyball team members celebrate after defeating Russia in the final in 2004 Athens Olympics on Aug 28, 2004.
chinas-volleyball-team-members-claim-the-gold-medal-in-2004-athens-olympics-on-aug-28-2004.jpg

China's volleyball team members proudly display their newly awarded Olympic gold medals after defeating the US team in 1984 Olympic Games in Los Angeles.
21w21.jpg

Lang Ping (Left), Yang Xiaojun (Middle), Yang Xilan (Right) of China's women's volleyball team battle US in 1984 Los Angeles Olympics.

am-battle-us-in-1984-los-angeles-olympics.jpg

China had the following in athletics:

2 finalists in the men's long jump.
3 finalists in the men's triple jump (including bronze medalist).
Final of the men's 4 x 100m relay.
1 finalists in the men's pole vault.

1 finalist in the women's shot put.
3 finalists in the women's discus.
2 finalists in the women's hammer throw (including silver medalist).
1 finalist in the women's javelin.

Also:
4th place in men's marathon swimming.
4th place in women's marathon swimming.

These are good progress.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom