What's new

Rights groups accuse Bangladesh army of covering up sex assault

Putting aside who is or who isn't responsible, the ethnic Bengali people joining in the protests and supporting minority rights tells us how important of an issue we view humans rights to be. You'll never find large gatherings of people in our neighbouring country to the southeast, standing up for Rohingya rights, but the essence of humanity runs well in the Bengali psyche.

That two girls were not raped by the security personnel. That two girls and their parents have done press conference accusing the local powerful tribal leadership and their gangs for pressuring them to accuse security force for rape.But those girls clearly said, they were raped by tribal terrorist youth, not by security forces.This is a common tectic of some quarter of tribal leadership there who were part of armed Shanti bahini to malign the presence of security forces in that region.They are doing dirty politics at the expense of that two abused girls.
@Ashes
A nice find. However, your video is dated on January 24th. About a month before the article in the OP was published. Based on that article, I'm afraid I just can't have full confidence in your post because of several events that occurred in February.

These atheist mancha has some sinister intention behind BD. These people hate their parents who gave them birth. ie saniur who claims his previous generation was impotent, that is why they converted to Islam. Now he is provided bread and butter by Hindutvas in India and converted to Hinduism as well with new adopted name Arjun. He advocates India should attack BD. These whole atheist mancha gang has similar mentality who dislike their own image.
I stumbled upon this Saniur guy in youtube the other day. Very interesting character. I was used to Vhondu Pir now found a Vhondo Atheist.

That’s what I talked about today on Facebook, send these troublemakers to Burma and let rohyngas stay, after all their problem is with Muslims.

An excellent idea but even if we don't send them to Burma, we can change the demographics by putting our Rohingya brothers there.

lets note down the names of the NGOs that are doing this, when later a government can take action, they can clean these NGOs out.

These atheist mancha has some sinister intention behind BD. These people hate their parents who gave them birth. ie saniur who claims his previous generation was impotent, that is why they converted to Islam. Now he is provided bread and butter by Hindutvas in India and converted to Hinduism as well with new adopted name Arjun. He advocates India should attack BD. These whole atheist mancha gang has similar mentality who dislike their own image.

This is a phenomena I have seen in BD. Most of the anti-Muslim crowd hate themselves, and look down on their own culture. Even if they give lip service to our language.

If they could, they would want to be white, just like their British masters.

I don't know about any eloping, but that would be a problem between the 2 students rather than the atmosphere they are in.

Did not study, had a close family friend that attended there. And my family home in Dhaka is rather close.

IIRC there were several Rohingya refugee camps in the CHT, but the government moved them to one closer to Cox's Bzar. Who knows, they might move them back there later.

If you read the articles (perhaps you missed many of the points being):

1. Mehdi Rajeb is married to a girl from this club
2. The other faculty involved seems to be the advisor of the club you shared which is one Moinak Kanungo. Is a Hindu who married a Muslim girl without the families permission.

Rather strange to have such characters run an adventure club one would assume something wrong with that picture.

Wish you had studied there so we could have some valid information to verify with. The articles make a lot of points above and beyond the above (too lazy to try to summarize) and seem to involve a lot of people in the know. IF the article information is correct, its obvious something is wrong in this university.

An excellent idea but even if we don't send them to Burma, we can change the demographics by putting our Rohingya brothers there.
We bengalis think our fellow citizens in CHT are foreign whereas their culture and language are as much bengali or bangaldeshi as anybody else. I bet they have nothing to do with burmese.
Just watch this simple social gathering. I can uderstand their language which is a dialect of Chittagonian.. they dress like bengali, they eat like bengali and they address like bengali.

One could say that of people from Assam and a whole bunch of other neighboring places. Yet, we know for fact that many of them dislike "Bangladesh". And are causing trouble for our country. And we are also causing trouble for them.

Rohingya are also originally from Bengal and I can understand them and see the similarity with us. So why not allow them to share the vast hill tracts? Should not be a problem for our Bangladeshi citizens in the CTG hilltracts.

If you read the articles (perhaps you missed many of the points being):

1. Mehdi Rajeb is married to a girl from this club
2. The other faculty involved seems to be the advisor of the club you shared which is one Moinak Kanungo. Is a Hindu who married a Muslim girl without the families permission.

Rather strange to have such characters run an adventure club one would assume something wrong with that picture.

Wish you had studied there so we could have some valid information to verify with. The articles make a lot of points above and beyond the above (too lazy to try to summarize) and seem to involve a lot of people in the know. IF the article information is correct, its obvious something is wrong in this university.
Mehdi isn't married though. I don't know about Kanungo fellow, as I stated before.

Most of the article in that latter facebook post mostly features accusations that can be answered with a simple no. However it did mention a former faculty and it was a translated post from him. That one might have credibility if the original source can be located.

One could say that of people from Assam and a whole bunch of other neighboring places. Yet, we know for fact that many of them dislike "Bangladesh". And are causing trouble for our country. And we are also causing trouble for them.

Those people are irrelevant.

Mehdi isn't married though. I don't know about Kanungo fellow, as I stated before.

Most of the article in that latter facebook post mostly features accusations that can be answered with a simple no. However it did mention a former faculty and it was a translated post from him. That one might have credibility if the original source can be located.

I live in Banani. I have lived here for 20 years. Down the road there is a university. I've been there a few times. If someone gave all this information about the university my reaction would not be to say "oh I've been there I and its not like that"

How do you know who x, y or z in the university are doing what? You would need intimate knowledge, which I don't have of the university down the street from where I live.

These things are verifiable. Like if someone is married or not. Or if a Hindu is married to a girl from a Muslim family without their permission. And it is highly unlikely someone would write all that if such easily verifiable facts are false.

It is obvious from reading these articles that a whole group of insiders are explaining what is going on from inside the university and I highly doubt you can just say no to all that just because you live down the road and know someone who studied there. I know people who studied in most universities in Bangladesh. Don't make me an expert.

The articles are filled with such easily verifiable information. It would be wrong to dismiss it and would rather be proper to investigate and find out.

Last edited:
I live in Banani. I have lived here for 20 years. Down the road there is a university. I've been there a few times. If someone gave all this information about the university my reaction would not be to say "oh I've been there I and its not like that"
How do you know who x, y or z in the university are doing what? You would need intimate knowledge, which I don't have of the university down the street from where I live.

These things are verifiable. Like if someone is married or not. Or if a Hindu is married to a girl from a Muslim family without their permission. And it is highly unlikely someone would write all that if such easily verifiable facts are false.

It is obvious from reading these articles that a whole group of insiders are explaining what is going on from inside the university and I highly doubt you can just say no to all that just because you live down the road and know someone who studied there. I know people who studied in most universities in Bangladesh. Don't make me an expert.

The articles are filled with such easily verifiable information. It would be wrong to dismiss it and would rather be proper to investigate and find out.
Not clamming to be an expert. And no plenty of people can write false things on a blog post or facebook post. This how rumors spread. Only difference is someone can just take those rumors and post online and make them seem true. Anyway, most of these insiders posts are secondary sources, do you have one as a primary source? As in a previous faculty teaching there as stated before in that facebook post. That article was interesting and it definitely seems like something was going on. I would like to read the original faculty's post and which holds up a stronger argument.

I have no idea. I just saw this now, this seems to be pretty old stuff.

For me this is less about finding original sources (there seems to be at least a couple of people involve and I am sure no one wants to be exposed). More about why such allegations aren't being investigated. And why a foreign woman can hold so much sway in a university in Bangladesh.

The original point I was making is justice must be equal for everyone. All issues must be investigated not just specific ones that serve certain interest groups. I can see from experience that NGOs and media in BD have a certain set of things they will be outraged about, but a host of things they will put a blind eye to.

We as a society cannot go forward without having a more balanced and fair system.

I have no idea. I just saw this now, this seems to be pretty old stuff.

For me this is less about finding original sources (there seems to be at least a couple of people involve and I am sure no one wants to be exposed). More about why such allegations aren't being investigated. And why a foreign woman can hold so much sway in a university in Bangladesh.

The original point I was making is justice must be equal for everyone. All issues must be investigated not just specific ones that serve certain interest groups. I can see from experience that NGOs and media in BD have a certain set of things they will be outraged about, but a host of things they will put a blind eye to.

We as a society cannot go forward without having a more balanced and fair system.
Well as much as this forum's favorite Tamil likes to point out, he does have a point that corruption is a huge problem in the country. If we do wish to have a better system this needs to be address first so this can all be tackled down for everyone's benefit.

It is a chicken and egg problem. Corruption exists because the choices people have mean it is the easiest way to be successful. Without a meaningful legal system this will continue to be a problem. Without justice and fair play, the legal system will not be able to be meaningful.

To have justice, you need values. But the society does not have values but power play. And power play is in the hands of certain political and social agenda.

So a society without values, will always end up being corrupt.

It is a chicken and egg problem. Corruption exists because the choices people have mean it is the easiest way to be successful. Without a meaningful legal system this will continue to be a problem. Without justice and fair play, the legal system will not be able to be meaningful.

To have justice, you need values. But the society does not have values but power play. And power play is in the hands of certain political and social agenda.

So a society without values, will always end up being corrupt.
At the same time though, I think an additional problem is those in power can still be corrupt. There was a case of a school girl being frequently raped for 3 months and committed suicide out of depression. But those that committed the act got away with it since one was a nephew of a local MP. Keep in mind said girl was a Muslim too. So rather than looking at this rape incidents from a religious or ethnic angle, it should be looked at a class conflict between those of helpless lower status and the corrupt people of higher status. These incidents have nothing to do with religion or ethnicity in my belief.

Back
Top Bottom