What's new

Restructuring the ISI

Possibly, the ISI's main disadvantage is its directing mostly by operational officers who were involved in intelligence or military missions. As a result, the ISI command prefer to influence Pakistan's strategic environment through intelligence operations (in Afghanistan and India) rather than concentrate on intelligence support to military operations.

The reorganisation of the ISI following the beginning of the Afghan War after 9/11 should have been answering this problem with the construction of the new section of counter-terrorism, known as DG (CT). However, the influence of special operation advocates in the ISI seems still to be overwhelming. Reassign civilians into the organisations will not make a different without strengthening the elements in ISI which are not part of the combative activity of the agency.

So now you want to demarcate 'Ops' and 'Int' vividly.

Strange.

i agree.

But do you want the ISI to be headed by a civilian or fauji?

i think the DG should be anyone from the tri services but the JS HQ should be the one that should forward the name(s) of potential DGs, may be in the form of a panel of 3 to 5 Lt Gens/Vice Adm/Air Vice Marshals and then the appointment should be finalized by the head of state/leader of the house etc. Better, if this is done by parliament(ary) (committee).

it won't be good to appoint the DG of ISI from Navy or Air Force. I mean come on its ISI not FIA that you just mishandle it and no problem. The DG of ISI must have ground experience and tactics. Both Navy and AirForce officers are not credible for the post.

- - I personally think that the ISI is working Okay. . :tup:

An absolute civilian control over an agency like ISI can turn into a dooms day scenario. At best someone from the bureaucracy may be suitable for this job, but then his lack of experience in the field of intelligence would be a problem. Also, the way i have seen our bureaucracy working, i doubt they would be able to deliver.[/QUOTE]

Militias stem Pakistani Taliban, but at what cost? | | DAWN.COM28 Dec 2010 ... They show photos on their cell phones of Taliban they killed and point to ... to fight wars in Afghanistan and against Indian forces in Kashmir, ... Police seized weapons, money and gold that they said had been stolen. ...
www.dawn.com/2010/.../militias-stem-pakistani-taliban-but-at-what-cost.html

The DG of ISI must have ground experience and tactics. Both Navy and AirForce officers are not credible for the post.
The ISI is an intelligence agency, not a special operations or ground operations agency. While it likely does have units within it that can be deployed in combat situations, that is not its primary function. The author has offered an insight into what the functions of an intelligence agency are, and therefore that does not by any means rule out Navy, PAF or other civilian individuals from being involved in the organization or running it.

Back
Top Bottom