What's new

Report On Indian MMRCA IN CHINESE..

Do you want to revise that claim?

Radar absorber - ISP Investments Inc.
Your original contention was about the stealth canopy being an "absorber" in the same sense as the RAM coating on the rest of a stealth airframe. As I said then, your description concerning stealth canopies as "absorbers" is inappropriate. The stealth canopies that we know of on the F-117s, F-22s and J-20 use iridium-tin oxide coatings and visually appear as a golden tint. The primary purpose of those canopy coatings is for reflection and conduction of EM away from the illuminating radar. The absorption of radar energy by the RAM coatings/materials on the rest of the airframe is an order of magnitude greater than what you get with the canopy because the canopy coating is a simple single-layer coating whereas the rest of the stealth airframe is a mish-mash of carbon composites, magnetic ferrite coatings, impedance matching, etc. If the same coating were applied to an otherwise stealthy serpentine engine intake, there would be a radar return coming back out because so little was absorbed in comparison.

No, it is not semantics.

Materials Research - Dielectric microwave absorbing material processed by impregnation of carbon fiber fabric with polyaniline
An absorber MUST be a conductor, meaning the material itself must exhibit some measures of electrical conductivity in order to function as a signal 'denial' mechanism for the seeking radar. Another appropriate phrasing is 'loss mechanism', meaning the absorber material is creating a loss of radiation off the body, thereby denying the seeking radar vital clues about the body.

Feeling foolish now?
You either do not understand the context or you are you purposely pretending. The RAM coating on the canopy is a single-layer coating whose stealth performance is qualitatively different from that achieved by the rest of the LO airframe. It is not designed to absorb radar as the rest of the LO airframe. That is why as I already said, if the inside of a serpentine air intake were coated with the same iridium-tin oxide coating as the canopy, you would get a radar return despite the serpentine shaping. This is not so with the RAM treatment they apply now because of this difference.....get it?

You either do not understand the context or you are you purposely pretending. The RAM coating on the canopy is a single-layer coating whose stealth performance is qualitatively different from that achieved by the rest of the LO airframe. It is not designed to absorb radar as the rest of the LO airframe. That is why as I already said, if the inside of a serpentine air intake were coated with the same iridium-tin oxide coating as the canopy, you would get a radar return despite the serpentine shaping. This is not so with the RAM treatment they apply now because of this difference.....get it?
I understand it better than you do. Explain the context of 'absorber' in 'geometric absorber'.

Back
Top Bottom