What's new

Replacing Gas with Electricity

313ghazi

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
So I'm sure many of you have read Fawad Ch. statement that Pakistan will run out of gas "soon" in the coming years. I'm not sure how accurate it is, how soon is soon, but I did wonder what can be done to replace gas.

A few easy ones that came to mind;

1. No more LPG cars
2. Electric stoves and ovens
3. Electric boilers for hot water and central heating (although i doubt very many have central heating in Pakistan), you probably use the AC to keep warm?
4. No use of gas to generate electricity - use coal instead

Any others you can think of?

So I'm sure many of you have read Fawad Ch. statement that Pakistan will run out of gas "soon" in the coming years. I'm not sure how accurate it is, how soon is soon, but I did wonder what can be done to replace gas.

1. No more LPG cars
3. Electric boilers for hot water and central heating (although i doubt very many have central heating in Pakistan), you probably use the AC to keep warm?

LPG and CNG cars should be banned anyway. These fuels are precious.
Electric stoves and ovens will be a positive change. However, our cooking habits should change. No more high temperature cooking. Plus it requires more electrical safety in our households.
Eelctric boilers is not good, may be electric heaters are good. They are quick. Our houses are not insulated so central heating is useless.

Lastly, gas is used in chemical industry to make fertilisers, chemicals, plastics, rubber, polymers etc.

That is only possible if Electricity is made affordable. Right now Gas in cylinders is still cheaper than electric options. I dont see us making switch in at least next two decades.

LPG and CNG cars should be banned anyway. These fuels are precious.
Electric stoves and ovens will be a positive change. However, our cooking habits should change. No more high temperature cooking. Plus it requires more electrical safety in our households.
Eelctric boilers is not good, may be electric heaters are good. They are quick. Our houses are not insulated so central heating is useless.

Lastly, gas is used in chemical industry to make fertilisers, chemicals, plastics, rubber, polymers etc.

Yeah our home in Pakistan is not insulated too. People don't understand the value of insulation.

If you have cavity walls and add insulation you not only keep your house warm in the winter, but also cool in the summer.

Maybe we should redo some investigation into the building materials of our elders. Mud homes were very efficient. What materials could we use to cheaply, effectively replicate that?

1. No more LPG cars

It will have to happen as we deplete our reserves. Fairly soon it won’t be a choice.

Maybe we should redo some investigation into the building materials of our elders. Mud homes were very efficient. What materials could we use to cheaply, effectively replicate that
Very expensive to redo. Concrete is cheap, abundant, durable and effective, so no repalcement is viable. Just for insulation, we can/should insulate roof (internal insulation). The material can be rock wool as it is the best. Else we can make a shade on roof, with solar panels installed on it.

wat you do is, put solar panels on a small village houses and feed it back into the grid, the solar panel will payback itself. plus you can build huge integrated cow milk system where you feed cow grass in return get huge cow manure which is mechanically fed into biogas tank ten processed into fertilizer to be sold and some to be reused for grass for cow. milk will be sold. plus gas collected in tank will be used to run a huge electric generator to run the milk plant plus feed back into grid.

i think a small scale toilet to sewer system to collect fertilizer and gas collection tank to run generator in a small town or village can be beneficial. plus extra electricity produced can be fed back into the grid.

1. No more LPG cars

New York just passed a law to have all new houses or buildings with no gas stove, hot water tank or heater.

Very expensive to redo. Concrete is cheap, abundant, durable and effective, so no repalcement is viable. Just for insulation, we can/should insulate roof (internal insulation). The material can be rock wool as it is the best. Else we can make a shade on roof, with solar panels installed on it.

Definitely can't re-do, retrspective insulation in Pakistan is very difficult. I think the focus should be on new-builds.

wat you do is, put solar panels on a small village houses and feed it back into the grid, the solar panel will payback itself. plus you can build huge integrated cow milk system where you feed cow grass in return get huge cow manure which is mechanically fed into biogas tank ten processed into fertilizer to be sold and some to be reused for grass for cow. milk will be sold. plus gas collected in tank will be used to run a huge electric generator to run the milk plant plus feed back into grid.

i think a small scale toilet to sewer system to collect fertilizer and gas collection tank to run generator in a small town or village can be beneficial. plus extra electricity produced can be fed back into the grid.
The amount of educationa nd training just to teach them pasturisation of milk is intense, let alone telling them to create cycllic cow-fertilise system. The biggest disadvantage of our nation is lack of primary education. Here, farmers use manure of hey and oat yields. But i prefer manure is used only for non-edible vegetation. Compost can be used for vegetables, grains and fruits.

The amount of educationa nd training just to teach them pasturisation of milk is intense, let alone telling them to create cycllic cow-fertilise system. The biggest disadvantage of our nation is lack of primary education. Here, farmers use manure of hey and oat yields. But i prefer manure is used only for non-edible vegetation. Compost can be used for vegetables, grains and fruits.

just do it you think Chinese have knowledge to do everything they just follow rules.

1. No more LPG cars

There isn't any need for central heating in most parts of Pakistan. Electric heaters would just so the job. Public has shifted from gas guzzling traditional geysers to instant gas geysers but would have to switch to all electric geysers once gas runs out.

Cars in Pakistan run on CNG and not the LPG. Some 3 wheeler Rickshaws run on LPG. Commercial transport like vans and even Busses used to run on CNG at some point in Pakistan but they were banned due to fire hazard and safety issues in public transport.

Gas driven power back up generators are also widely used in Pakistan. They would have to just rely on liquid fuel to run on.

With EVs on the horizon and shortage of Natural Gas reserves would mean massive overhaul and investment required in our electric supply system to sustain those kinds of loads in the future

Yeah our home in Pakistan is not insulated too. People don't understand the value of insulation.

If you have cavity walls and add insulation you not only keep your house warm in the winter, but also cool in the summer.

Maybe we should redo some investigation into the building materials of our elders. Mud homes were very efficient. What materials could we use to cheaply, effectively replicate that?
LOL insulated homes in a temperate climate as Pakistan's most populous areas is just waste of resources. Complete 360° insulation is better for colder climates. Only the roof needs to be insulated to prevent from sun's heat. Large windows and some sort of ventilation ducts are preferred for better cross ventilation in summers as most of the public here can't afford to have 24/7 climate control in the entire home. It would be too expensive due to elevated electricity prices and overall low buying power of relatively poor country like Pakistan. Central HVAC system's utility bill would literally cost the whole salary of a well payed employee in Pakistan. Certain selected rooms are cooled down by split type air conditioning instead.

That is only possible if Electricity is made affordable. Right now Gas in cylinders is still cheaper than electric options. I dont see us making switch in at least next two decades.
Pakistan has no shortage of generation capacity after a dozen+ power stations came online after worst shortages in nineties.

Pakistan's blackouts are because: 1. grid croaks, 2. power theft
LOL insulated homes in a temperate climate as Pakistan's most populous areas is just waste of resources. Complete 360° insulation is better for colder climates. Only the roof needs to be insulated to prevent from sun's heat. Large windows and some sort of ventilation ducts are preferred for better cross ventilation in summers as most of the public here can't afford to have 24/7 climate control in the entire home. It would be too expensive due to elevated electricity prices and overall low buying power of relatively poor country like Pakistan. Central HVAC system's utility bill would literally cost the whole salary of a well payed employee in Pakistan. Certain selected rooms are cooled down by split type air conditioning instead.
Central aircon in a 40 storey tower can cost less than $10 per room with natural gas fuel.

i think future is painful and people be ready to pay the price .

Back
Top Bottom