What's new

Replacement of Pakistan Army's G-3 Rifles.

which?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Above all, Army would like to stick to 7.62mm rounds
I have the same read on the Army's caliber preference, but I assume there are certain other limitations to the G-3 that spark off these frequent discussions on changing the PA's standard assault rifle. I am trying to understand what exactly these limitations are, both currently and with an eye on longer term infantry related changes, and whether any of the currently available solutions offer significant improvements on those limitations.

I have the same read on the Army's caliber preference, but I assume there are certain other limitations to the G-3 that spark off these frequent discussions on changing the PA's standard assault rifle. I am trying to understand what exactly these limitations are, both currently and with an eye on longer term infantry related changes, and whether any of the currently available solutions offer significant improvements on those limitations.

Its heavier, ill-suited for CQBs and packs a mean recoil, than its contemporaries !

But its still fairly accurate, the recoil issue has been addressed by firing it at semi-auto instead of full burst and some of its sleeker versions with hand grips etc. have been come up with.

Though its still a '50s designs and you can only do so much with it before you're gonna have to replace it with something better if you want to improve in different parameters that standard rifles are gauged against.

Its heavier, ill-suited for CQBs and packs a mean recoil, than its contemporaries !

But its still fairly accurate, the recoil issue has been addressed by firing it at semi-auto instead of full burst and some of its sleeker versions with hand grips etc. have been come up with.
That is sort of what I was getting at - some of the limitations could be addressed by POF developed/adopted variants of the G-3. Plastic/composite furniture for reduced weight and Day/night scopes could be made standard across the infantry perhaps.
Though its still a '50s designs and you can only do so much with it before you're gonna have to replace it with something better if you want to improve in different parameters that standard rifles are gauged against.
What kinds of parameters? I assume we could break them down into two broad sets - technical and (for lack of a better word) ergonomic perhaps?

On the technical side you'd list caliber, effective range (against various kinds of targets), RoF, performance in poor ambient conditions (dust, moisture, heat, cold etc.)

On the 'ergonomics' side you'd probably want to assess 'usability' in terms of the frequency of care required while operating in various conditions, how easily and/or quickly the rifle could be maneuvered into a firing position (for an average soldier in various positions - walking, kneeling, prone, crawling), time required to maneuver rifle into a firing position AND get off an accurate shot etc.

Feel free to add, correct any of the above. I don't usually venture into conventional military discussions and this is a purely layman's view of things.

A next generation frame would have to be made of lighter composite polymer. It must have good ergonomics, ambidextrous controls, ability to switch barrels of different lengths, pica tinny rail systems for optics, sights, lights and lasers, and it must perform in harsh weather conditions and must be controllable in full auto.

HK-417A2

4vhd3ml.jpg

FN-SCAR-H

1024px-United_States_Navy_SEALs_121.jpg

These two are the best in business in PA cartridge category. Both are worthy replacement of the G-3s.

In my opinion yes, G3 should be replaced & something similar to M4 should be used by our PA. POF should make a new assault rifle similar to M4 or FN SCAR or something equivalent.

We can only get a new rifle for the army if @Horus @Jazzbot @Oscar @LoveIcon @dexter and @Hyperion start paying taxes ! :mad:

Right now all the tax burden is on my shoulders ! :(

Chacha adhe pakistan ka tax to sirf hum Karachites dete hen :P (Ab dil me mat lelega)
Right now other important things should be considered specially our navy.
Aks , G3s and M4s are really doing good against those cowards in operation Zarb-e-Azb.

Pakistan should go for either SCAR-H or HK-417. Right now, i don't think that there is any plan to replace those battle rifles. However when we do, we need to get the best on the market because we will use them for next 40 odd years.
I prefer SCAR-H and can't say for sure although they have done massive changes to G3 but our General can all of a Sudden change there mind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom