What's new

Replacement of Pakistan Army's G-3 Rifles.

which?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There can not be an ultimate rifle for a country like Pakistan. May be a small country of Africa or South America can select one weapon but not Pakistan. Any weapon has merits & demerits. Terrain, weather, conditions of light & snow, vegetation, wind speed are all factors which effect the accuracy and performance of a rifle. Pakistan is a very large country and we have very kind of terrain and possible weather within. Pakistan army deployment covers temperatures between the ranges from -30C to +50C. Deserts, snow, jungle, mountains, marsh land, vast fields, you name it are being manned by Pak army. Then there is a challenge posed by a regular army like India and guerrilla warfare of TTP. So in my view Pakistan will continue and must continue with mix weapons. G3 and AK47 are the best rifles currently for the challenges Pakistan faces.

G3 although an excellent rifle has it's drawbacks.

Check out this baby.

The HK 417 would definitely be a taliban killer.

Last edited by a moderator:
As promissed in previous post, here is the comparison chart. Analysis in next post.

Comparison_zps53d80cf9.jpg
[/IMG]

Is there an active hunt on by the PA for a replacement to the G3 or is this a fantasy thread?

Not to my knowledge!! GHQ cannot procure any rifle without going through the process of comparative trials and bidding. And so far GHQ had not started any process to replace the G-3!

Has the G-3 become redundant as per modern day requirements that we'd feel the need to procure a replacement ! *Noob Question*

Has the G-3 become redundant as per modern day requirements that we'd feel the need to procure a replacement ! *Noob Question*

The major disadvantage G-3 has, its heavy, its a big gun & hardly controllable in automatic fire, plus magazine can hold just 20 rounds, thus by looking at what other armies are having nowadays and especially looking at the CQB scenarios, G-3s are not good. But its good in long range duels and certain modifications in G-3 can make it a more deadly weapon system with respect to conventional warfare, but its not OK for CQB warfare.

A good assault rifle is the one which can be easily carried by the soldier, it fits within the body dimensions of the soldier hence making it easier to fit the weapon within restricted spaces where the body can also easily fit, it should be a quick and natural draw, it should be accurate and have accessories like scopes, red *** sights, laser pointers etc that makes the weapon usable in all situations, its weight should be less and most of all its blow back should be a bare minimum in order to give higher accuracy during combat firing. The G-3 is too big, heavy, bulky, long, not at all ergonomic etc as per the average small physique & body frame of our soldiers. Hence the need to upgrade. But at this time and in the middle of a War in the SWA and NWA it is highly doubtful that the Army will actually go ahead to change the G-3. Like I said before, I do not see this rifle becoming out of service in the Army for at least the next 10 years or so!

hmmm ...why not modify our G3 ...

less weighing materials /I guess this will effect accuracy of rifle with given caliber/
scopes attached
alternate design to any bulky part

well all this process can be cost almost same as new rifle produce under given license by parent company

My fav are these 'not saying PA should go for these'

aks74u_2.jpg

AKS-74U (correct me if these can not be regular assault rifle)

Caliber 5.45 mm
Cartridge 5.45 x 39 mm
Dimensions and weight
Total weight (with loaded magazine) 3200 g
Total weight (with empty magazine) 2485 g
Overall length 730 mm
Length with folded butt-stock 490 mm
Barrels length 200 mm
Fire characteristics
Bullets initial speed 735 m/s
Rate of fire 700 rpm
Practical rate of fire 40 - 100 rpm
Magazine capacity 30, 45 cartridges
Sighting range 500 m
Range of effective fire 300 - 400 m

IDK I heard from someone in army that new tactics of battle field is to wound the enemy not to kill him,it is more counter productive.

The major disadvantage G-3 has, its heavy, its a big gun & hardly controllable in automatic fire, plus magazine can hold just 20 rounds, thus by looking at what other armies are having nowadays and especially looking at the CQB scenarios, G-3s are not good. But its good in long range duels and certain modifications in G-3 can make it a more deadly weapon system with respect to conventional warfare, but its not OK for CQB warfare.

A good assault rifle is the one which can be easily carried by the soldier, it fits within the body dimensions of the soldier hence making it easier to fit the weapon within restricted spaces where the body can also easily fit, it should be a quick and natural draw, it should be accurate and have accessories like scopes, red *** sights, laser pointers etc that makes the weapon usable in all situations, its weight should be less and most of all its blow back should be a bare minimum in order to give higher accuracy during combat firing. The G-3 is too big, heavy, bulky, long, not at all ergonomic etc as per the average small physique & body frame of our soldiers. Hence the need to upgrade. But at this time and in the middle of a War in the SWA and NWA it is highly doubtful that the Army will actually go ahead to change the G-3. Like I said before, I do not see this rifle becoming out of service in the Army for at least the next 10 years or so!

Barring the sights, the laser pointer etc. I don't understand why something as fundamental as 'bulk', 'length' or 'a lack of ergonomics' not realized at the time the G-3 was inducted to begin with ! None of these 'parametres' come across as anything that we'd be unable to appreciate a couple of decades ago ! Why the...?

Barring the sights, the laser pointer etc. I don't understand why something as fundamental as 'bulk', 'length' or 'a lack of ergonomics' not realized at the time the G-3 was inducted to begin with ! None of these 'parametres' come across as anything that we'd be unable to appreciate a couple of decades ago ! Why the...?

Because we weren't fighting a full-fledged insurgency back then! The G-3 is ideal for conventional warfare but CQB and Room Clearance besides other aspects of LIC don't usually agree with the G-3. However, that's covered. The Type-56C are doing fine for now and will be replaced by a similar rifle. The G-3 on the other hand is undergoing a cosmetic and functional upgrade. Complete with retractable butt, picatinny rails (Over and under), new stalk and flash suppressor. That should help extend the rifles life!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom