What's new

Replacement of Pakistan Army's G-3 Rifles.

which?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because we weren't fighting a full-fledged insurgency back then! The G-3 is ideal for conventional warfare but CQB and Room Clearance besides other aspects of LIC don't usually agree with the G-3. However, that's covered. The Type-56C are doing fine for now and will be replaced by a similar rifle. The G-3 on the other hand is undergoing a cosmetic and functional upgrade. Complete with retractable butt, picatinny rails (Over and under), new stalk and flash suppressor. That should help extend the rifles life!

Hmmmn...that sounds about right ! Reading some of the posts or rather most of the posts it came across as if the Army was going to replace the G-3 as Pakistan's battle rifle with something else. It appears the word 'alternative' suggested in the title rings more true than I had anticipated...apologies !

Because we weren't fighting a full-fledged insurgency back then! The G-3 is ideal for conventional warfare but CQB and Room Clearance besides other aspects of LIC don't usually agree with the G-3. However, that's covered. The Type-56C are doing fine for now and will be replaced by a similar rifle. The G-3 on the other hand is undergoing a cosmetic and functional upgrade. Complete with retractable butt, picatinny rails (Over and under), new stalk and flash suppressor. That should help extend the rifles life!

.....and replacing an infantry rifle is a very costly exercise as its not just about buying some guns, handing them over to jawans and patting them on the back. IF and WHEN Army does consider to replace the G-3, i guess there would be much better options available including the new Turkish 7.62mm rifle by MKEK, HK-417, FN-SCAR and CZ-805 BREN tried and tested!

We, all want our military to have top notch gear without realizing how little our budget is compared to international standards. CIA's own budget alone is bigger than Pakistan has annual budget !

I believe it is best if we stick to the 7.62 rounds. So If we were to acquire a new battle rifle it should support that round.

Has the G-3 become redundant as per modern day requirements that we'd feel the need to procure a replacement ! *Noob Question*

NO! G3 is still quite potent "Field Rifle", we are discussing the need for an "Assault rifle". there are significant differences between the two.

The major disadvantage G-3 has, its heavy, its a big gun & hardly controllable in automatic fire, plus magazine can hold just 20 rounds, thus by looking at what other armies are having nowadays and especially looking at the CQB scenarios, G-3s are not good. But its good in long range duels and certain modifications in G-3 can make it a more deadly weapon system with respect to conventional warfare, but its not OK for CQB warfare.

It's just not the weight and size probelm. I believe both weight and size can be reduced with some resulting effets on performance, but that would not convert G3 into an effective assault rifle.

To start with barrel length can be reduced by about 2 inches, stock length can also be reduced by about 3/4 inches in the same design or by changing it with a telescopic stock, both these would reduce the ovwerall length and aslo cut down on weight. Additionally barrel can be shaved by about half mm, stock can be replaced by light weight plastic telescopoic stock or the same style in "skeletal design". Metallic magazine can be replaced with high impact polymer/plastic mags. All these modifications would solve (tosome extent) weight and size problem but it wouldnot change the chractersticks of the gun in a positive manner.

PA need to have a dedicated assault rifle built as an assault rifle from scratch with high percentage of plastic/polymer parts toreduce weight and adjustable telescopic stock with multiple barrel lengths.

I believe it is best if we stick to the 7.62 rounds. So If we were to acquire a new battle rifle it should support that round.

Ther eis no harm in experimenting with a new round, as long as it's not a sissy 5.56.

NO! G3 is still quite potent "Field Rifle", we are discussing the need for an "Assault rifle". there are significant differences between the two.

Dude, I thought that what the G-3 is to an Ak-47 followed the same comparative as the one followed by an M-16 is to an Ak-47 ! Which is to say that both the G-3 & the M-16 were designed keeping in mind the 'rifle portion' whereas the Ak-47 was more of a mini-machine gun meets a rifle kinda thing ! Or am I completely off the mark here ? :undecided:

there is too much invested in the G3 system. if they can 'carve' out a assault rifle from the G3 design it would suffice. there is the new design G3 with collapsible butt. many special units are also using AK's, M16's and the SMG's.

Are extended magazines available for the G3?

Swiss SIG

The only thing odd in this picture is the old SSG uniform.

229948_459331707451115_1494707713_n.jpg

7BVTs.png
uatSU.jpg
attachment.php
mkempt.jpg
milli-piyade-tufegi.jpg

credits , cabalti and deno---- they can post more info on this hybrid
MKEK: Turkish infantry rifle goes in production in July 2012

Is this the upgraded mehmetcik 1, 7.62 version,and is Pakistan thinking of licence producing these?.

i feel G36 in the russian ak caliber will make a great infantry rifle for our forces, also pof has great experience with hk products and getting a license for G36 and mg36 will be very beneficial.

It would take almost 5 years to equip all the operational units with a new rifle. Its not a piece of cake. It is unfortunate that even when our Chief of Army Staff took commission in Army he used G3 and after 40 years we're still there.

It would take almost 5 years to equip all the operational units with a new rifle. Its not a piece of cake. It is unfortunate that even when our Chief of Army Staff took commission in Army he used G3 and after 40 years we're still there.

Yaraa its still a pretty good battle rifle even if its ill-suited for CQB situations ?

Perhaps a newer variant of the G-3 made by POF could be well looked into; we've invested too much into this rifle & the 7.62 round !

Yaraa its still a pretty good battle rifle even if its ill-suited for CQB situations ?

Perhaps a newer variant of the G-3 made by POF could be well looked into; we've invested too much into this rifle & the 7.62 round !

I guess you're talking about the latest variant of G3 which is smaller in size and lighter? I did see it at IDEAS 2012 and i didnot find it fascinating. We need to step up. I hope what ever we choose MATERIALIZES.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom