What's new

Renewable Energy in Turkey

One thing we're not even working on is efficiency. Like better insulation or getting rid of ordinary light bulbs, like the EU did. Small changes can make a big difference.

I assume you live outside of Turkey, if i am not mistaken those small changes you mention already have been made around 2012. Edison invention light bulbs banished (you can get them unofficially and wonder why your electricity bill is too high), instead we use light bulbs with energy efficiency. (If you meant bulbs people use because their light bulbs are still working you are absolutely right, you have to go house by house purge those wasteful fuc.kers )

Also people please carefully read things that is shared here, some of them contain scientific knowledge. Few suggestions posted here currently is not feasible (scientificly, economicly etc.)

Last edited:
I assume you live outside of Turkey, if i am not mistaken those small changes you mention already have been made around 2012. Edison invention light bulbs banished (you can get them unofficially and wonder why your electricity bill is too high), instead we use light bulbs with energy efficiency. (If you meant bulbs people use because their light bulbs are still working you are absolutely right, you have to go house by house purge those wasteful fuc.kers )

Also people please carefully read things that is shared here, some of them contain scientific knowledge. Few suggestions posted here currently is not feasible (scientificly, economicly etc.)

I swear I have only seen "old" inefficient light bulbs in Turkey. But in time they will eventually be replaced, so thats a good step indeed.

Investors will decide according to the new law and rules.
Domestic technical and manifactural input means more profit.
There are some raw figures I got from some sources.

100 % local built wind turbine will get 13 cent/ USD kw/h ,
more than 51 % dosmestic input will get estimated 9 cent/USD kw/h.

http://www.resmigazete.gov.tr/eskiler/2016/06/20160624-1.htm

20 GW up to 2023 is not realistic. Up to 2023 10 GW could be installed.

If Gov. supports investors giving guarantees and makes easier "real " licencing procedure.
investors could also install wind plants where the capacity factor is at 25.

*** Latest wind energy statistics for 2016 ***

Turkey installed a total capacity of 1.400 MW wind power last year

The Turkish wind energy sector grew at its fastest pace ever during 2016.

2_Top-10-new-installed-capacity-Jan-Dec-2016.jpg

Turkey’s installed wind power capacity is now standing at over 6000 MW.

af32da8053bc4d879a9cdaf1b0ae57a5.png

According to Global Wind Energy Council, Turkey overtook Denmark, Portugal and Poland becoming the 12th largest wind power user in terms of installed capacity worldwide.

Source: http://www.gwec.net/global-figures/graphs/

The share of wind energy in Turkey’s power mix is steadily increasing. Last year, wind farms provided 5,59 percent of Turkey's electricity. In the first two months of 2017 this figure already reached 6,56 percent.

e831230e7ed5404bbec83d4b3856d93f.png

According to some news, renewable energy sources made up 44% of the new power capacity added to Turkey’s electricity grid last year, in a sign of the country's rapid shift away from fossil fuels.

:tup:

Figures are fine , but projects never show the in reality existing difficulties for investors.

Aksa one big player sold existing farms and stopped investments.
Before, AKSA planned to install 2694 Mw in wind energy.

http://enerjienstitusu.com/2016/12/01/aksa-enerji-232mw-6-ruzgar-santrali-259-milyon-dolar-guris/
That doesn't say much of a thing about sectors. It just shows that the previous owner was not efficient and thus competitive enough to keep existing in this sector.

Mind you, the stated reason is "to get cash for close term financial obligations".

So apparently they were incapable of operating in that sector while keeping their books balanced.

It is pure capitalism. You are incapable? Get out of the sector and find another sector for yourself.

Those who are more efficient and thus more capable will survive and fill the gap.

Mind you those wing turbines have been sold to another company, one that thought it could actually run it at a profit.

It is just natural selection doing its intended job just fine, nothing less nothing more.

That doesn't say much of a thing about sectors. It just shows that the previous owner was not efficient and thus competitive enough to keep existing in this sector.

Mind you, the stated reason is "to get cash for close term financial obligations".

So apparently they were incapable of operating in that sector while keeping their books balanced.

It is pure capitalism. You are incapable? Get out of the sector and find another sector for yourself.

Those who are more efficient and thus more capable will survive and fill the gap.

Mind you those wing turbines have been sold to another company, one that thought it could actually run it at a profit.

It is just natural selection doing its intended job just fine, nothing less nothing more.

It's not as you believe in this field. Soon , 3000 Mw 3x1000 Mw guaranteed licences from Gov. will be granted.
There is fierce fight going on to get the cream of the cake. Deep, too deep .
Alliances are founded. Like happened in Pakistan.

Try to contact a decision maker or institution in a legal and easy way. You'll fail.

It's not as you believe in this field. Soon , 3000 Mw 3x1000 Mw guaranteed licences from Gov. will be granted.
There is fierce fight going on to get the cream of the cake. Deep, too deep .
Alliances are founded. Like happened in Pakistan.

Try to contact a decision maker or institution in a legal and easy way. You'll fail.
You got any source for me to dig in and learn more on that?

Yes they are sources. But cause closed NDA s , more is not free for public.
Pls . read the local manufacturing rules, reffering to the new procedures for granting huge licences :))
Google is free

Helps you :

Subclause 5.10 b and c here refers to local production ratio which important during the draft local content incentive legislation. Problem with the local production certification is the reference to 13/09/2014 dated 29118 no. official announcement which specifies a local production with an amount over 51% localization .

Last edited:
Guys isnt turkey trying to built the world largest solar system ?
I posted a study by PWC a few months ago. We dont know why but the government does not plan on subsidzing solar power as they do wind power in short to mid-term. Instead they want to exploit the coal reserves first. And support solar after that.

Maybe they're waiting for domestic manufacturing capabilities to be established.
World’s largest photovoltaic solar plant to be established in Konya by 2018

They are involved with solar power, but it is going slow in my opinion. They should most definitely subsidize solar power. A good start, in my opinion, would be to subsidize solar power for factories and such. Industry uses most annual energy in Turkey (I think), so even if they would subsidize solar for only the industry, it would still show huge benefits. Assembly plants and factories have perfect roofs for solar panels.

An example of what I am talking:
hyundai-solar-Photovoltaic-plant-at-Asan.jpg.662x0_q70_crop-scale.jpg

Hyundai factory in South-Korea.

7a3b512056614ac283a5e416172ad800.png

6d89b2e9a6b4450aa3d1607c4fcea1f4.png

926555dee80a4cd6a4682e1b68f205d5.png

The gov't postponed Wind Power Plant pre-license applications to 2018. Some companies (Turkish Wind Energy Association (TWEA) members) in the renewable energy sector aren't happy about this decision: http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/iki-yil-erteleme-ruzgari-kesti-40399157

But to me, it seems like the gov't is making a change in its approach to wind power installations. TWEA members are buying foreign power plants to install them on Turkish soil. So, the gov't started a new project to indigenise the prodcution chain and power plant production. This project is similar to the project which is currently ongoing in the solar sector.

GE, 3 Turkish firms to invest $1.3B in wind power

BETÜL ALAKENT
ISTANBUL
Published March 8, 2017
General Electric (GE) will make a $1.3 billion investment in wind power in partnership with three Turkish companies, namely, FİBA, Borusan and Özgül Holding. The project, which will generate power for five cities, will start operations in 2021. This investment will save Turkey $277 million in natural gas imports on an annual basis.

Turkey continues to attract foreign investors ahead of April's constitutional referendum. GE, one of the largest industrial companies in the world, with a $250 billion turnover, will cooperate with three Turkish companies, FİBA, Borusan and Özgül Holding. These companies will make an investment worth $1.3 billion, of which $1.2 billion will go toward a wind power plant and $100 million for a wind turbine factory.

The project will be accomplished with 75 percent domestic and 25 percent foreign investment. GE will invest $350 million in the project. After two years of the project-license-permit period and two years of the investment process, the project is planned to begin operations in 2021. The wind plants will be founded on an area of around 1,000 hectares and will generate 3,840 gigawatts of electricity per year. Turkey currently has a 6,000 megawatts installed capacity of wind power plants.

This investment, corresponding to one sixth of the total capacity of the already installed plants, will provide electricity to five medium-sized cities. Özgül Holding CEO Ömer Faruk Özgül said that the project will save Turkey 768 million cubic meters in natural gas imports, and will make a $277 million contribution to the current account deficit. Moreover, while 20 percent of the investment will be financed with equity, the remaining 80 percent will be financed through loans.
https://www.dailysabah.com/energy/2017/03/09/ge-3-turkish-firms-to-invest-13b-in-wind-power

Turkey adds 571 MW of solar PV in 2016
https://www.pv-magazine.com/2017/02/27/turkey-adds-571-mw-of-solar-pv-in-2016/

Analysis: 1 GW Konya deal in Turkey could mark beginning of new manufacturing landscape

Götz Fischbeck, CEO of Smart Solar Consulting, discusses some key questions that have arisen from the recent 1 GW Konya solar tender, which was won by a Hanwha Q Cells-Kalyon Enerji joint venture at a price of $0.0699/kWh.

Once Turkey has built the manufacturing plant and the Konya PV plant, what do you expect will come next?
Götz Fischbeck
: I believe that after another period of perhaps two to three years – during which time large-scale PV deployment in Turkey will be regulated/limited through auctions – the Turkish PV market will see a strong uptake of C&I installations with LCOEs in the range of 4-6 U.S. cents/kWh, unless Turkish grid regulation explicitly hinder this market segment from developing.

Given the electricity demand in Turkey, the solar resources there and the economic potential of the country, Turkey should be a 1.5 GW+ market going forward: 3 GWp annually would easily make sense at today’s prices, even more so when we consider where prices will be in two to three years’ time.

If the aim of this tender is to export modules, then why would, say, a Nigerian investor choose to buy modules made in Turkey and not modules made in China? The latter will likely be cheaper anyway, right?
I would assume the primary focus of the fab would be the Turkish market. With the 15 year take-off tariff I could very well imagine that for an extended period there will be regulations in place that favor the use of domestic content, thus making sure that the investment into the production value chain does not become obsolete within two to three years.

When it comes to export markets, one should rather consider that countries like Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan and other nations in that region that have close cultural ties to Turkey and well established business relations in the country to be the primary markets.

Perhaps the Chinese would offer their modules cheaper in those countries than the JV in Turkey could, but doing business is not only about price. It has a lot to do with trust and feeling comfortable with your business partner. So for a number of countries a supplier from Turkey backed by a global leader in the PV world like Hanwha Q Cells seems like a sensible combination that has a good chance of thriving in specific other countries outside of Turkey.

If the presence of a Korean brand is key, then why would investors not simply buy modules made in Korea?
My understanding is that the decision in favor for the Hanwha Q Cells JV is that the Turkish government tends to have more trust in a Korean company than in a Chinese investor. As for the export perspectives of the Hanwha Q Cells JV, then as mentioned, the cultural ties between Turkey and close neighbors could be key.

For Turkey in general, can this tender – if successfully completed – help to kickstart further confidence in the country’s ability to not only install large amounts of PV, but also export solar components?
As of now I believe the key issue of this investment from the government’s perspective is to establish state-of-the-art PV manufacturing know-how in Turkey with the hopes of this being the nucleus to further growth of PV manufacturing in the long run. If we foresee global annual PV demand as greater than 100 GWp by 2020 and greater than 150 GWp by 2025, I do not expect that +90% of these volumes will only originate from fabs in China and Taiwan.

Through a combination of import duties or local content requirements/incentives we will eventually see a manufacturing landscape emerge where we will also have a number of GW-fabs outside of China/Taiwan. What portion of global PV production will be outside of the traditional production hubs in the future very much depends on future developments in international trade relations. Right now we experience a time where more nationalistic and protectionist policies are gaining popularity in many countries around the globe. How far this will go I have a hard time to predict at this time.

Just because the domestic production might not be able to reach the same low costs compared to the leading global manufacturers doesn’t mean that solar electricity from local producers would not still be the most affordable source of electricity in comparison to other technologies. If you then factor in the benefit of local jobs, tax revenues, own competencies etc., I can see why politicians have a high interest in pushing such deployment models (i.e. forcing foreign companies to share their technological and manufacturing know-how). After all, China has very successfully employed this model in many industries over the past 20 years.

Considering the proposal is for the complete value chain, right from ingots and wafers through to modules, how will the plant alter the manufacturing landscape of Turkey?
To my knowledge Turkey today only has cell manufacturing capacities through the CSUN fab and no further upstream production capacities. Also, the current scale of the module manufacturers does not make them cost-competitive in export markets. With this planned investment into the integrated value chain I believe Turkey hopes to spark a development that would see further investments in production capacities in the future which might not even require (any meaningful) governmental support.

Despite all the current arguments with the Turkish government I expect the international relations to ease once the referendum is over in a month’s time. And before anyone would consider an investment into a PV production in Iran, Iraq, Syria or Afghanistan (just to name a few potential export markets for a PV production from Turkey) Turkey appears to be a much safer place to invest.
https://www.pv-magazine.com/2017/03...ark-beginning-of-new-manufacturing-landscape/

Back
Top Bottom