What's new

Rename Karachi's Hawke's Bay !

I don't agree with renaming. Unless of course there is some REALLY pressing need.

It causes confusion, reprinting of documents, waste of money.

Really pressing need would be like something being offensive - I don't even think Qaddafi stadium needs to be renamed. Names are just names, one must remember the history of that place in context.

IMHO - Resorting to name change is cheap way to show our gratitude to our heroes. On many occasions changes are done to glorify someone on someone else's expense. Pakistanis must learn to own all history & heritage, irrespective of it's good or bad and irrespective of religious association. One have to be naive enough to deny the fact that most of our prestige institutes, hospitals and infrastructure projects are built by Christine or Hindus - Changing the names of those places is injustice with deserving person. Changing name of Qadafi Stadium also present as opportunists, we named it when had benefit and renamed it when it's no longer serve any purpose. :sick:

There may little need to rename it, After all.. there is no harm in continuing to call Burns road Buns road.
Or empress market .
Who really even remembers Admiral Hawke within our population?
The sorrow is when places get named Benazirabad and the like..

Karachi's Hawke's Bay was named after the British Admiral Sir Edward Hawke, who decisively defeated the French in the Battle of Quiberon Bay in 1759.

I, think Pakistan should rename the place with one of its own hero's name. The name comes to my mind is "" Vice Admiral Ahmed Tasneem"" the gallant Naval commander who sunk INS Khukri,
the first Submarine kill since WWII.

Do you have any suggestions?

Chaney bazi Bay

IMHO - Resorting to name change is cheap way to show our gratitude to our heroes. On many occasions changes are done to glorify someone on someone else's expense. Pakistanis must learn to own all history & heritage, irrespective of it's good or bad and irrespective of religious association. One have to be naive enough to deny the fact that most of our prestige institutes, hospitals and infrastructure projects are built by Christine or Hindus - Changing the names of those places is injustice with deserving person. Changing name of Qadafi Stadium also present as opportunists, we named it when had benefit and renamed it when it's no longer serve any purpose. :sick:

Agree with the sentiment - we can name things which don't already have a name like - 34th street.

Every road must be named or numbered, even a tiny one. This would help when we start to map our streets for GPS use. A lot of the big roads appear on various maps, but that really can't be used for turn by turn directions.

Shaheed Bhutoo Bay!
What about Poondi Bay ? Man stop changing names of those places which already have a name for past 60 years that will never work no body will call that place with new name develop new areas and name them with new names rather than wasting time in changing names of old places

this is truely a zoo, a panda, penguin, a monkey and also one dog in this thread :D

What about Poondi Bay ? Man stop changing names of those places which already have a name for past 60 years that will never work no body will call that place with new name develop new areas and name them with new names rather than wasting time in changing names of old places

Ala-Hazrat, Tabiat theek hai aaj?:coffee:

Make something new and then name it. And if you do have to rename it, why after something military, why not something more positive!

I hate it when this happens here as well. The name changes when one political party is replaced by the other in power. Fortunately this trend is now reducing.I suppose its the same in Pakistan as well. Politicians share the same genes.

Karachi's Hawke's Bay was named after the British Admiral Sir Edward Hawke, who decisively defeated the French in the Battle of Quiberon Bay in 1759.

I, think Pakistan should rename the place with one of its own hero's name. The name comes to my mind is "" Vice Admiral Ahmed Tasneem"" the gallant Naval commander who sunk INS Khukri,
the first Submarine kill since WWII.

Do you have any suggestions?

This is a brilliant idea. Tasneem bay should be its name... but the thing is some people do still want to keep a touch of british flavour... though i agree that it just reminds us of our humiliation and defeat as we were a colony...

Back
Top Bottom