What's new

REMEMBERING MY SENIOR SIR RASHID MINHAS

As a war trophy, perhaps not. As a hijacked plane, perhaps yes. Does not look like a plot by Bhartis rather by Mati himself who was trying to prove something and probably looking forward to grab some important position (being a hero) in would-be BD.

Well, he was just 19 or 20. Young, inexperienced, and perhaps psychologically not as strong or mature. T-33 was just a training aircraft not something like F-86 or F-6 or Mirage. It was ok to save the airplane but perhaps not at the cost of his life. Again, that is just me and you forgive me knowing that I am an old parrot.
I think u forgot i wrote in thred, i used to think to myself that there was no need for his life to be given for this.
And i am not saying this out of cowardice as it might be taken.

CO had not ordered him to crash. Wrong lecture to a wrong person.
the point was that u dont just obey yr CO for the sake of obeying or that he is yr boss and u get payed to obey him. Its abt country, its abt DIGNITY, VALOR, COURAGE, HONOR. self respect etc etc.

Thats why i gave example of USSR in WW2.

Last edited:
the point has that u dont just obey yr CO for the sake of obeying or that he is yr boss and u get payed to obey him. Its abt country, its abt DIGNITY, VALOR, COURAGE, HONOR. self respect etc etc.

Thats why i gave example of USSR in WW2.
Haan Bhai, it is. First of all it is about belief that the troops have in their commander(s). They know their commanders love them as their children and will not put them in harms way unnecessarily. Over 70% casualties were expected upon landing on the beaches of Normandy yet General Eisenhowe made the decision and the troops followed for they had full trust in the wisdom and sincereity and objective of their commanders.

Haan Bhai, it is. First of all it is about belief that the troops have in their commander(s). They know their commanders love them as their children and will not put them in harms way unnecessarily. Over 70% casualties were expected upon landing on the beaches of Normandy yet General Eisenhowe made the decision and the troops followed for they had full trust in the wisdom and sincerity and objective of their commanders.
Like Maj R Amir said in this army, the loyalty to the command is the greatest thing. And the basis of that loyalty is because of our religious believes.

Sir we are Muslims, we worship Allah whom we havnt ever seen nor will ever in our life in Earth! :azn: Have u ever thought it this way? This alone explains why we have that loyalty and determination factors in our blood.

Last edited:
میں نے جب اسلام پڑھا تھا اور انسانی زندگی کی اہمیت پڑھی تھی تب مجھے لگا تھا راشدمنہاس کو زندہ رہنا چاہیے تھا

I apologize for my views tho

میں نے جب اسلام پڑھا تھا اور انسانی زندگی کی اہمیت پڑھی تھی تب مجھے لگا تھا راشدمنہاس کو زندہ رہنا چاہیے تھا

I apologize for my views tho

Having gone to this thread, do you still hold the same views?

Having gone to this thread, do you still hold the same views?

Dont get me wrong. I fully respect him and value his sacrifice. And idont have any specific views mainly cuz as many have suggested he was a junior pilot so he went along what thought first came in his mind. I dont know. Umm i really dont know

Dont get me wrong. I fully respect him and value his sacrifice. And idont have any specific views mainly cuz as many have suggested he was a junior pilot so he went along what thought first came in his mind. I dont know. Umm i really dont know

It's ok I'm not judging you sis. I can fully understand what you are trying to say. It's sometimes difficult for civilians to understand, but the fact is, a soldiers blood is green, he loves his country, just like his mother. To him his mothers well being, is more important than his life. Something he would give up gladly. No second thoughts. IT becomes instinct.

You can't ask a dead soldier how he feels, but try asking one who has lost a limb, and his reply will be "I'm sorry, I could not give my life for my country" OR "I'm sad, that I just lost a limb, had it been my life, I would have been happier." These are words I have often heard.

The reason I have decided to open this thread is because of uninformed and derogatory comments made by some poster about Sir Rashid Minhas. This person is totally oblivious of the facts and without knowing the facts he has made value judgment on our National Hero who is so highly decorated as well, and for good reason. So I am going to shed some light on the incident in order to dispel some of the myths and misinformation on this incident and share how this tragedy came about.

Sir Rashid Minhas was a year and half my senior at the PAF Academy Risalpur ( Sir Minhas was from 51st GDP and I belonged to 54th GDP). When he graduated from PAF Academy Risalpur in March of 1971, I was promoted to 3rd term. Rashid Minhas was a sweet natured Flight Cadet / Officer and every one loved him for his gentle and friendly nature.

These were very difficult times and we still had course mates and officers/Instructors who were from East Pakistan ( present day Bangladesh ). We treated these Cadets and Officers with Dignity and decorum which was their right being officers in PAF Uniform. Now some people may claim that it was a mistake, but I would still stand by our conduct because technically these officers were part of us and our Armed Forces. In fact, not one of our Bengali officers or their family members were ever harmed and all of them along their families were returned to Bangladesh honorably and without any harm. On the contrary, our Officers were slaughtered in Bangladesh and their families were dishonored.

Now some would argue that we were wrong in treating our Bengali officers so kindly but I would disagree. We maintained the Spirit de Corp and decorum of our traditions. The result is I still have my Bengali Course mates on my Facebook page as friends and we are still BROTHERS ( Qaiser Hussain, Majed , Nasim, Zain ul Abedin , Moin etc. too many to list). I would also remind all that it was these Pakistan Trained Bengali Officers who three and half years after Bangladesh was created, assassinated Sheikh Mujib urrehman.

Now before the separation in 1971, there were some extremist officers who conspired and sabotaged PAF facilities and the conspiracy to hijack a Pakistani plane was hatched in Masroor Air Force Base Karachi. This is where the incident took place. Five of senior Bengali Officers were part of this conspiracy. Flt. Lt. Matiur rehman volunteered for this dastardly act, since he was a Flight Instructor at No. 2 Squadron where 51st GDP was going thru “ Jet Conversion “ on T-33 ( dual seat jet trainers). They picked Rashid Minhas because they mistook his mild demeanor and gentle manners and PROBABLY thought that this means that he was cowardly and will not put up much resistence upon Hijacking. Rashid Minhas was being sent on his second solo Flight to make maneuvers in the local flying area and then return to base for practice touch-and –go takeoffs and Landings.

As you all know Mastan Khan has been trolling making totally uninformed comments about Sir Minhas , all because he has friends whose dads knew somebody who once worked in the Air Force. I mean , get real guy, how ignorant can you be. When you make comments about stuff you know nothing about, you end up making a fool of yourself as you are about to find out. Mastan Khan says Rashid Minhas broke Air Force law by stopping his aircraft on the taxi track.

NO. HE DID NOT. RASHID MINHAS STOPPED THE TRAINER AIRCRAFT ON THE TAXI TRACK , BECAUSE THE PAF LAW REQUIRED HIM TO DO SO.

Now I am going to reveal why Sir Minhas stopped the plane. As Minhas started to Taxi to the Active , he was flagged down by Flt. Lt. Matiur rehman to stop the aircraft.

FLT. LT. MATIUR REHMAN WAS THE DESIGNATED FSO ( FLIGHT SAFETY OFFICER ) AT NO. 2 SQUADRON. THAT MEANT THAT HE COULD LEGALLY STOP ANY TRAINER AIRCRAFT FROM NO. 2 SQUADRON , ANYWHERE, TO CHECK THAT SAFETY RULES WERE BEING FOLLOWED. ALSO, ANYONE WHO HAS FLOWN T-33’S IN THE AIR FORCES AROUND THE WORLD WILL TELL YOU THAT MOST PILOTS WILL TAXI THE T-33 AIRCRAFT WITH CANOPY IN UP POSITION ON A HOT AUGUST DAY.

SIR MINHAS STOPPED THE AIRCRAFT ON “ FSO’s “ DIRECTION AS THE PAF RULES REQUIRED HIM TO DO SO. Flt. Lt. MATIUR REHMAN CLIMBED THE WING AND JUMPED INTO THE BACK SEAT. ONCE INSIDE MATIUR REHMAN TOOK OVER THE CONTROLS FROM THE REAR AND TOOK OFF. AS THINGS DAWNED ON THIS VERY YOUNG 20 YEAR OLD OFFICER AS TO WHAT WAS HAPPENING HE MADE THE MAYDAY CALL AND ONCE IT BECAME CLEAR THAT THE INSTRUCTOR WAS TRYING TO TAKE THE AIRCRAFT TO INDIA, RASHID MINHAS TRANSFORMED FROM THE MILD MANNERED PILOT OFFICER INTO A TIGER AND FOUGHT BACK WITH ALL HIS MIGHT. IN THE END THERE WAS A TUSSLE IN THE AIRCRAFT OVER THE FLIGHT CONTROLS. THOSE MEMBERS WHO ARE NOT TOO FAMILIAR WITH T-33, THE SEATS ARE TANDEM ( FRONT AND BACK SEPARATED BY A WALL). EYE WITNESSES ON THE GROUND NEAR THATTA EXPLAINED HOW THE AIRCRAFT WAS ROLLING FROM SIDE TO SIDE IN A WAY THAT APPEARED TO THESE EYE WITNESSES THAT THE AIRCRAFT WAS OUT OF CONTROL. OF COURSE WE KNOW THAT THE AIRCRAFT WAS ROLLING FROM SIDE TO SIDE BECAUSE THERE WAS A BATTLE GOING ON IN THE COCKPIT OVER THE FLIGHT CONTROLS. WHEN ALL ELSE FAILED SIR MINHAS PUSHED DOWN ON THE JOYSTICK MAKING THE AIRCRAFT GO IN A STEEP DIVE EVENTUALLY HITTING THE GROUND IN A NOSE DOWN POSITION.

THIS GREAT MAN SAVED THE HONOUR OF HIS COUNTRY BY PAYING FOR IT BY HIS LIFE AND I SALUTE THIS GREAT HERO OF OURS. HOW MANY OF US WISHED WE WERE THERE INSTEAD OF HIM TO DO THIS HONOUR. GOD BLESS YOU MY FRIEND, THIS NATION WIL NEVER FORGET YOU.
Thanks you so much Sir! for the detailed info.I agree most fan boys on this defense forums know notihng.
At which rank you retired from PAF and in which year?
My father belonged to the 63rd GDP course and in 2002 he retired as a wing commander.

@MastanKhan wow buddy, you just got shit on.

Hi,

Almost 10 years on this forum---it won't be the first time and it won't be the last time that something gets dumped on me----.

To others,

I wanted to stay away from this discussion---because I think I have said enough--but pakistanisage brought my name up again---and let go with an insult----so--here is my response---.

The place that Minhas was---was a no go area for any pedestrian---and no stop area---. Once the aircraft is given permission by the tower to taxi to the runway for take off---it is under the control and direction of the tower till it takes off. Any issues and problems will be conveyed by the tower t the aircraft directly.

A pedestrian or a supervisor has no authority to step in that area---even a commander---any instructions that need to be given---come from the tower at that time over the wireless---.

So---any untowards incidence would have been related to the Tower immediately and asked for further directions. He should have sped farther up to be scure from a pedestrian even though the pedestrian was an instructor---but Minhas did not do that---he rather stopped---. And why did he stop---as pakistanisage stated in another thread---Minhas was a very kind and gentle person---basically very DOCILE.

Here is a piece from Blue bird hijacked and a link to the post---plz read

Aeronaut: "Bluebird-166 is Hijacked"

" In the meantime Matiur-Rehman, who had earlier checked the students' flying schedule during a brief visit to the squadron, sped off in his private Opel Kadett car to the north-eastern taxi track that led out of the main tarmac.The sides of the taxi-track had thick growth of bushes, which concealed his position both from the ATC tower as well as the tarmac. As the aircraft approached, he was able to stop it on some pretext, as expected. Seeing the instructor gesturing, Minhas must have thought that some urgent instruction was to be conveyed. After all, his mission had been scheduled as an after-thought, and something might have gone amiss in the haste. He expected Matiur-Rehman to plug in his headset and talk to him on the aircraft inter-com. Not encumbered by his flying gear (parachute, anti-G suit, life jacket and helmet), Matiur-Rehman easily stepped on to the wing and slipped into the rear cockpit through the open canopy".

So---MatiurRehman pops out of the bush and waves at the pilot to stop----. That was a red flag in itself----. The pilot should have sped up and called the Tower immediately for assistance and directions---instructor or no instructor.

Here is a picture

hj.png

The innocent young man---out of no fault of his own fell victim to the deception of the adults---. Once he fell into the trap---he acknowledged his predicament and ensued afterwards----resulted in salvaging his honor by sacrificing his life.

So---the Sitara A Jurat---as determined was the right award.

Last edited:
What a huge contrast Rashid Minhas and that as$ wipe Mati ur Rehman are. One is a man of honor and dignity. who preferred to die at a young age of 20 to save honor of his nation and country and another a scumbag who tried to steal an aircraft from a young boy and failed even in that.

And before someone says that I hate him because he belonged to Mukti Bahini. Nope that is not the reason. Even though I do consider MB a militant terror organization, I can respect a MB militant who died fighting PA soldiers after being outnumbered. But not this filthy piece of sh!t Mati ur Rehman who choose a young kid instead of an experienced pilot to carry out this pathetic act of treachery.

Hi,

Almost 10 years on this forum---it won't be the first time and it won't be the last time that something gets dumped on me----.

To others,

I wanted to stay away from this discussion---because I think I have said enough--but pakistanisage brought my name up again---and let go with an insult----so--here is my response---.

@Pakistanisage is a LIAR. Okay. And here is the reason.

The place that Minhas was---was a no go area for any pedestrian---and no stop area---. Once the aircraft is given permission by the tower to taxi to the runway for take off---it is under the control and direction of the tower till it takes off. Any issues and problems will be conveyed by the tower t the aircraft directly.

A pedestrian or a supervisor has no authority to step in that area---even a commander---any instructions that need to be given---come from the tower at that time over the wireless---.

So---any untowards incidence would have been related to the Tower immediately and asked for further directions. He should have sped farther up to be scure from a pedestrian even though the pedestrian was an instructor---but Minhas did not do that---he rather stopped---. And why did he stop---as pakistanisage stated in another thread---Minhas was a very kind and gentle person---basically very DOCILE.

Aeronaut: "Bluebird-166 is Hijacked"

" In the meantime Matiur-Rehman, who had earlier checked the students' flying schedule during a brief visit to the squadron, sped off in his private Opel Kadett car to the north-eastern taxi track that led out of the main tarmac.The sides of the taxi-track had thick growth of bushes, which concealed his position both from the ATC tower as well as the tarmac. As the aircraft approached, he was able to stop it on some pretext, as expected. Seeing the instructor gesturing, Minhas must have thought that some urgent instruction was to be conveyed. After all, his mission had been scheduled as an after-thought, and something might have gone amiss in the haste. He expected Matiur-Rehman to plug in his headset and talk to him on the aircraft inter-com. Not encumbered by his flying gear (parachute, anti-G suit, life jacket and helmet), Matiur-Rehman easily stepped on to the wing and slipped into the rear cockpit through the open canopy".

So---MatiurRehman pops out of the bush and waves at the pilot to stop----. That was a red flag in itself----. The pilot should have sped up and called the Tower immediately for assistance and directions---instructor or no instructor.

Here is a picture

View attachment 249071

The innocent young man---out of no fault of his own fell victim to the deception of the adults---. Once he fell into the trap---he acknowledged his predicament and ensued afterwards----resulted in salvaging his honor by sacrificing his life.

So---the Sitara A Jurat---as determined was the right award.

SO giving him a Nishan e Haider is the only of point of contention, right?

@Pakistanisage is a LIAR. Okay. And here is the reason.

this is from original post.

NO. HE DID NOT. RASHID MINHAS STOPPED THE TRAINER AIRCRAFT ON THE TAXI TRACK , BECAUSE THE PAF LAW REQUIRED HIM TO DO SO.

Now I am going to reveal why Sir Minhas stopped the plane. As Minhas started to Taxi to the Active , he was flagged down by Flt. Lt. Matiur rehman to stop the aircraft.

FLT. LT. MATIUR REHMAN WAS THE DESIGNATED FSO ( FLIGHT SAFETY OFFICER ) AT NO. 2 SQUADRON. THAT MEANT THAT HE COULD LEGALLY STOP ANY TRAINER AIRCRAFT FROM NO. 2 SQUADRON , ANYWHERE, TO CHECK THAT SAFETY RULES WERE BEING FOLLOWED.

SIR MINHAS STOPPED THE AIRCRAFT ON “ FSO’s “ DIRECTION AS THE PAF RULES REQUIRED HIM TO DO SO. Flt. Lt. MATIUR REHMAN CLIMBED THE WINGAND JUMPED INTO THE BACK SEAT.

So they were all lies? Why?

Lastly,sitar e jurrat or nishan e haider what difference it makes unless u are saying air chief suggested that cuz of the mistake of stopping the aircraft.

SO giving him a Nishan e Haider is the only of point of contention, right?

Yes sir. If I did not state it properly---my mistake.

With this map in front of them---I want the posters to understand what happened. I want them to see for themselves---and not be mad at me just because they did not like something that I wrote.

I want the reader to understand---once the tower starts talking to the pilot and gives direction to proceed to taxi for position to take off---and pilot is taxiing to that spot---the Tower is the BOSS---. Any change of direction and order comes from the tower and tower alone.

You only stop for an act of GOD or an order from the tower and not from someone popping up from behind the bush---even if he is the base commander---that is where pakistanisage is misleading the readers.

Be it a failure on the part of instructors to pound into the minds of the pilots in training of the fact that you do not pick up stragglers---once you start your taxi---and after the start of taxi---the only orders that you follow are the from the tower or the flight leader if in case there is one.

After the commencement of taxi---you and your aircraft is only and only under the command of the tower.

this is from original post.

FLT. LT. MATIUR REHMAN WAS THE DESIGNATED FSO ( FLIGHT SAFETY OFFICER ) AT NO. 2 SQUADRON. THAT MEANT THAT HE COULD LEGALLY STOP ANY TRAINER AIRCRAFT FROM NO. 2 SQUADRON , ANYWHERE, TO CHECK THAT SAFETY RULES WERE BEING FOLLOWED.

SIR MINHAS STOPPED THE AIRCRAFT ON “ FSO’s “ DIRECTION AS THE PAF RULES REQUIRED HIM TO DO SO. Flt. Lt. MATIUR REHMAN CLIMBED THE WINGAND JUMPED INTO THE BACK SEAT.

So they were all lies? Why?

Lastly,sitar e jurrat or nishan e haider what difference it makes unless u are saying air chief suggested that cuz of the mistake of stopping the aircraft.

Hi,

Once he started his taxi to runway---the instructor is just a mere observer----no one can stop the plane but the Tower----.

And the fact the Mati----popped up from behind the bushes is a red flag in itself---. Read my posts again. Just look at the picture and the location of hijack.

Back
Top Bottom