What's new

Remaining Shermans

ajmac

New Recruit

Reaction score
Guys,
I am researching the rescent history of the WW2 vintage Sherman Tank in PAK usage. It is well documented that they were upgraded to 76mm main gun and used in 1965 but what happened after? Ideally I would like a couple of photos of any Shermans currently in reserve if any..... I was told last year that the PAK government were looking to dispose of the last of the Shermans and associated spares (they are 60+ years old), is this true?
Any info of Sherman use and location since the 70s would be much appreciated.

Alastair

Shermans are not used by the PA anymore. They were placed as landmarks e.t.c in the cantonments. I saw one placed on a roundabout in rawalpindi. I saw a couple of them rusting in school of armor.

I don't know if we even have any M-48s in reserves.Shermans were put in the museums years ago.

Thanks for the information. Do you know exactly what year the Sherman was struck off from the reserve list? Was it as early as 1970?

Guys,
I am researching the rescent history of the WW2 vintage Sherman Tank in PAK usage. It is well documented that they were upgraded to 76mm main gun and used in 1965 but what happened after? Ideally I would like a couple of photos of any Shermans currently in reserve if any..... I was told last year that the PAK government were looking to dispose of the last of the Shermans and associated spares (they are 60+ years old), is this true?
Any info of Sherman use and location since the 70s would be much appreciated.

Alastair

Sherman Register - Pakistan

I have a coleague who served in the armoured corps and retired as a brig. He recall that the Sherman were still there in 1974 and started getting replaced by chinese T-59 around that time. The replacement was speeded up since the spares for Shermans were fast runnig out and a lot of cannibalization took place.

I hope this helps

Cheers

the only shermans u will find are "show-pieces" in front of army cantonments and the armoured corps center!

Shermans are not used by the PA anymore. They were placed as landmarks e.t.c in the cantonments. I saw one placed on a roundabout in rawalpindi. I saw a couple of them rusting in school of armor.

I don't know if we even have any M-48s in reserves.Shermans were put in the museums years ago.

some M48s upgraded to M48A5 are kept in reserve but i doubt if they ever will be used in combat - training yes!

Some years ago i sat in a rusty M48.Its turret was manual and still functional.

I have a coleague who served in the armoured corps and retired as a brig. He recall that the Sherman were still there in 1974 and started getting replaced by chinese T-59 around that time. The replacement was speeded up since the spares for Shermans were fast runnig out and a lot of cannibalization took place.

I hope this helps

Cheers

That's the sort of on the ground info I was looking for! I am in contact with Hanno who runs the Register and they are always looking to update and confirm info.

Thanks again to everyone.

I will try to get some more info. for you. My coleague was a subaltern at that time. If you have specific questions do let me know. I can not promise anything but I will try.

Cheers

I think they are used for training purposes plus used as monuments

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom