What's new

Regiments of the Pakistan Army

can someone post info about corps of pakistan and wat it comprises etc , i mean detailed structure of pak army with numbers

Great information about Pak regiments. Wonder if you could also include East Bengal Rifles (former regiment)?

because of the history, it would be very difficult. my mamu (uncle) God Bless his soul was in the EPR until his retirement in 1968 with the rank of full col.

sir ebr or epr

This is confusing. I thought the East Bengal Regiment was the regular army unit, consisting initially of the 1st Battalion, the "Senior Tigers", and the 2nd Battalion, raised later, while the East Pakistan Rifles was a para-military force, the equivalent of the Pakistan Rangers of today, who were in 65 opposed by the armed police of neighbouring Indian states and no other formation. EPR after Bangladesh was formed were re-grouped as BDR, and I believe have just been re-named to get away from the stigma of the recent mutiny.

So EBR and EPR have nothing to do with each other. Please correct me if I am wrong.

can someone post info about corps of pakistan and wat it comprises etc , i mean detailed structure of pak army with numbers

This is already available, down to Division level. If I remember, even the Divisional locations are indicated. The only additional detail that can be sought is down to unit level; why would anyone in their right minds give that, more or less detailing the entire order of battle, if the question was ever asked?

Armoured Regiments of the Pakistan Army.

The Presidents Bodyguards; Faith, Unity & Discipline

4 Cavalry; The Valiant Fourth
Raised 1956

5 Horse Probyn's Horse; Ich Dien
Raised 1857
Probyn Sahib Ki Regiment as the jawans call it
The richest regiment of the army with astonishing silver
Officers from rich or very well connected families.

6 Lancers Duke of Connaught's Own
Raised 1857
Officers characteristically friendly, relaxed. disciplined regiment. great sportsmen.

7 Lancers
Raised 1991

8 Cavalry
Raised 1991

9 Horse
Raised 1991

10 Cavalry Guides Cavalry
(FF)
Raised 1846
Old, Anglophile. Zia did not fit in.

11 Cavalry Prince Albert Victor's Own Kabul to Kandhar
(FF)
Raised 1849
Good war record in 1965 and 1971

12 Cavalry Sam Browne's
(FF)
raised 1955
Reconnaissance regiment
Combines the grandeur of the old cavalry regiments with the agility and vigour of the more recently raised. great sportsmen.

13 Lancers Spearhead
Raised 1817
the oldest and truly grandest regiment.
13 Lancers officers have an air of reserve.
almost wiped out in 1971 at Bara Pind in the Sialkot sector.

14 Lancers Ghazi Squadron
raised 1993

15 Lancers
Raised 1955

16 Horse
Raised 1993

17 Lancers
Raised 1998

18 Horse
Raised 1994

19 Lancers Tiwana Lancers
Raised 1858
in JCO's Lancers. the JCO's are said by the rest of the armoured corps to be the brighter than the officers.
factory for generals. the unit has produced more general staff officers than any other.
the 19 L network is formidable
unit has a distinguished record
a very rich regiment
great sportsmen

20 Lancers Haideri
Raised 1956

21 Horse
Raised 1990

23 Cavalry Death or Glory
Raised 1962

23 Cavalry
(FF)
Raised 1962

24 Cavalry The Chargers
(FF)
Raised 1962
24 Cavalry has the reputation for going the extra mile.
works hard, parties hard.
big clique of retd officers live in Karachi

25 Cavalry Men of Steel
Raised 1962
the regiment that stopped an armoured division. 25 Cav's performance in 1965 was the stuff of legend.

26 Cavalry The Mustangs
Raised 1968
the unit that knows how to party.
large number of pathan officers
26 Cav JCO's confident and supreme.

27 Cavalry Steeds of War
Raised 1965

28 Cavalry Chhamb
Raised 1969

29 Cavalry
Raised 1969

30 Cavalry Bold Till Death
Raised 1966

31 Cavalry
Raised 1966

32 Cavalry
Raised 1964
32 Cav is famous for pulling everything together at the last minute.
senior officers are stressed due to this

33 Cavalry Fortune's with the Bold
Raised 1971

38 Cavalry Desert Hawks
Raised 1971

39 Cavalry
Raised 1971

40 Horse (Sindh)(Sindh Regiment Group)
Raised 1987

41 Horse
(FF)
Raised 1987

42 Lancers (Punjab Regt Group)
Raised 1988

51 Lancers
Raised 1971

52 Cavalry
Raised 1972

53 Cavalry
Raised 1972

54 Cavalry The Fifty-Fourth
Raised 1974

56 Cavalry
Raised 1985

57 Cavalry
Raised 1985

58 Cavalry
Raised 1985

21 Independent Armoured Squadron
Raised 1985

This is confusing. I thought the East Bengal Regiment was the regular army unit, consisting initially of the 1st Battalion, the "Senior Tigers", and the 2nd Battalion, raised later, while the East Pakistan Rifles was a para-military force, the equivalent of the Pakistan Rangers of today, who were in 65 opposed by the armed police of neighbouring Indian states and no other formation. EPR after Bangladesh was formed were re-grouped as BDR, and I believe have just been re-named to get away from the stigma of the recent mutiny.

So EBR and EPR have nothing to do with each other. Please correct me if I am wrong.

i would try to apprise you to a certain extent in this regards. This will also help you understand why Dhaka fell.

East Bengal Regiments (EBR)

The first and second battalions of the East Bengal Regiment were raised in Kurmitola (Dacca) in 1948. Their class composition was 100 % Bengali. As more and more EBR units were raised and some began serving in West Pakistan also, problems arising out of linguistic and cultural differences began to appear. Firstly, Bengali troops were at a disadvantage as, though they could speak and understand Urdu, they could not read and write it in the Persian script. It was only in 1969 that they were allowed to answer their question papers for promotion examinations in Bengali. Secondly, education of Bengali children in local schools with English or Urdu as the medium of instruction became another issue. The duration of the East Bengal Regiments in West Pakistan, therefore, had to be reduced so as not to deprive the Bengali children of their required education. West Pakistan units in East Pakistan faced similar problems.

A total of ten East Bengal Regiments had been raised by March 1971. At the time of the military action they were in the following locations:-

1 East Bengal, 1948, Jessore

2 East Bengal, 1948, Joydebpur

3 East Bengal, 1956, Saidpur

4 East Bengal, 1963, Comilla

5 East Bengal, 1965, Sialkot brought to Lahore in December, 1971.

6 East Bengal, 1965

7 East Bengal, 1969, Malir

8 East Bengal, 1970, Chittagong

9 East Bengal, 1970

10 East Bengal, 1970, Dacca Training battalion

In addition to the six East Bengal Regiments in East Pakistan at that time which had 100% Bengali troops, there were about 4 to 5 % Bengali elements in all infantry units and formation headquarters stationed in East Pakistan. The proportion in the technical arms and in the air force and navy was even higher.

East Pakistan Rifles (EPR)

The East Pakistan Rifles was formed to guard the border between India and East Bengal in peace time and to reinforce the Pakistan Army in defending its territorial integrity and national independence in war. The border was divided into the following six sectors: Dhaka, Chittagong, Sylhet, Dinajpur, Rajshahi, and Jessore. Each sector was composed of six wings of 450 men each. Most of the men were Bengalis while their officers came both from East and West Pakistan. Mymensingh had an independent wing. The total strength of the East Pakistan Rifles at the time of the military action by the Pakistan Army was 16,000. There were at that time only 4 Bengali officers in the EPR.

The total strength of the Bengali elements in the armed forces and para-military forces in East Pakistan in March, 1971 was about 21,000.

This will also help you understand why Dhaka fell.

sld be one reason but there were other reasons also!

Regiments of the Pakistan Army

This thread contains information as regards to the Regimentation in the Pakistan Army. We have attempted to consolidate all the relevant information scattered over the web. To begin with, following gives the seniority of the six Regiments of the Pakistan Army: (click on the links to go directly to the details)

1) The Punjab Regiment
http://www.defence.pk/forums/land-forces/33515-punjab-regiment.html#post474913

2) The Baloch Regiment
http://www.defence.pk/forums/land-forces/33513-baloch-regiment.html

3) The Frontier Force Regiment
http://www.defence.pk/forums/land-forces/33526-frontier-force-regiment.html#post474987

4) The Azad Kashmir Regiment
http://www.defence.pk/forums/land-forces/33253-azad-kashmir-regiment-sons-battlefield.html

5) The Sindh Regiment
http://www.defence.pk/forums/land-forces/33791-sindh-regiment.html

6) The Northern Light Infantry Regiment
http://www.defence.pk/forums/land-forces/33121-northern-light-infantry-victors.html

Courtesy righteous_fire & A1Kaid

bro you ve missed AD Regiment to mention

with numbers it is not possible but for your info a unit is almost of 3000 pers (for infantry) and a brigade comprises of 3 units while a division comprises on 3 or 4 bdes and a corps comprises of two divs...... i think its sufficient info

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 PM ----------

Armoured Regiments of the Pakistan Army.

The Presidents Bodyguards; Faith, Unity & Discipline

4 Cavalry; The Valiant Fourth
Raised 1956

5 Horse Probyn's Horse; Ich Dien
Raised 1857
Probyn Sahib Ki Regiment as the jawans call it
The richest regiment of the army with astonishing silver
Officers from rich or very well connected families.

6 Lancers Duke of Connaught's Own
Raised 1857
Officers characteristically friendly, relaxed. disciplined regiment. great sportsmen.

7 Lancers
Raised 1991

8 Cavalry
Raised 1991

9 Horse
Raised 1991

10 Cavalry Guides Cavalry
(FF)
Raised 1846
Old, Anglophile. Zia did not fit in.

11 Cavalry Prince Albert Victor's Own Kabul to Kandhar
(FF)
Raised 1849
Good war record in 1965 and 1971

12 Cavalry Sam Browne's
(FF)
raised 1955
Reconnaissance regiment
Combines the grandeur of the old cavalry regiments with the agility and vigour of the more recently raised. great sportsmen.

13 Lancers Spearhead
Raised 1817
the oldest and truly grandest regiment.
13 Lancers officers have an air of reserve.
almost wiped out in 1971 at Bara Pind in the Sialkot sector.

14 Lancers Ghazi Squadron
raised 1993

15 Lancers
Raised 1955

16 Horse
Raised 1993

17 Lancers
Raised 1998

18 Horse
Raised 1994

Sir with extremely sorry i want to mention that either you forget to write 9 FF or mistakenly wrote 9 Cav

now Pak Army should open another Regiment named Gilgit Baltistan Regiment as well since its now a new province of Pakistan

PA already operating FCNA for Gilgit areas :P

bro you ve missed AD Regiment to mention

AD is NOT a regt. But to give you credit, well i should have mentioned that the thread is about the INFANTRY regiments of Pak Army.

Still, it was not that hard to guess, or was it?

Check this link...

http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rc...h5DADA&usg=AFQjCNGKAd0VI9L2CM-fgCYeDDHpyVtPSw

Other Combat Arms

Pakistan Army aviation squadron's Mil Mi-17 helicopter at the Skardu Airport.
Bell 206LRegiment of Artillery
Regiment of Air Defence (contributes to Air Defence Command with 3 Air Defence Groups, 8 AD Brigades)
Corps of Engineers
Corps of Signals
23 aviation squadrons

Also check this :

http://www.pakistanarmy.gov.pk/AWPReview/TextContent.aspx?pId=22&rnd=451

"Army Air Defence was born on 23 March 1989, when it was separated from Artillerynd recognized as the youngest Arm of Pakistan Army, given the name 'Army Air Defence'. This was officially proclaimed on 10 October 1989. Army Air Defence successfully faced the challenge by reorganizing in harmony with its Concept of Integrated Air Defence."

well not good enough but what resources we have this is what we can do best MI 17 is good chooper but not good when it used as gunship

well not good enough but what resources we have this is what we can do best MI 17 is good chooper but not good when it used as gunship

It is a transport helicopter and never used as a gunship, and please try to keep a bit of grammar in your posts, it hurts the eyes at times.

Hey guys I have looked into it and have realized the PA has no Parachute/airborne regiments (apart from SF but that doesn't really count). This came as a surprise to me as I always asummed the PA did.Why is this so as many nations do and considering the size of PA you'd think they would. What does PA use as rapid action forces?

Hey guys I have looked into it and have realized the PA has no Parachute/airborne regiments (apart from SF but that doesn't really count). This came as a surprise to me as I always asummed the PA did.Why is this so as many nations do and considering the size of PA you'd think they would. What does PA use as rapid action forces?

2553.jpg

A combat group of Light Commando Battalion demonstrating at Mehfooz Shaheed Garrison, Lahore today. (26-07-2011)- Photo ISPR

No PR172/2011-ISPR Dated: July 26, 2011
Rawalpindi - July 26, 2011:
Chief of Army Staff (COAS), General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani visited Mehfooz Shaheed Garrison at Lahore Cantonment to witness troops engaged in various training activities.
COAS witnessed a demonstration by combat group of Light Commando Battalion. He also visited firing range and saw troops marksmanship in small arms. He appreciated their combat efficiency, physical fitness, agility and morale and stressed the need for rigorous training to attain optimum level of professional competence.
Earlier on arrival at Lahore COAS was received by Lieutenant General Rashad Mahmood, Corps Commander Lahore Corps.

Back
Top Bottom