What's new

Record number of Pakistanis visited India last year

Record number of Pakistanis visited India last year
Himanshi Dhawan,TNN | Jul 5, 2014, 02.53 AM IST
READ MORE Pakistanis visited India last year|Pakistani PM Nawaz Sharif|Foreign tourist arrivals
.jpg

Travel from Pakistan rose to a six-year high, touching 1.11 lakh tourists in 2013.

NEW DELHI: In a year where India-Pak relations nose-dived because of frequent LoC skirmishes and the beheading of two Indian soldiers, tourists from Pakistan appeared undeterred. Travel from Pakistan rose to a six-year high, touching 1.11 lakh tourists in 2013. This is the highest since 2007 when India received 1.06 lakh tourists from Pakistan.

Latest data on foreign tourist arrivals from the tourism ministry reveals that arrivals from Pakistan registered a 86.80% growth since 2012, increasing from 59,846 to 1.11 lakh in 2013. This is the highest growth among the top 45 source countries for India. Incidentally, there has been no promotion or liberalization of visa norms with Pakistan. In fact, in 2012, the two countries had signed a liberalized visa agreement but it was not rolled out because of ceasefire violations across the LoC and killings on the border.

Industry sources said expanding business opportunities and better healthcare facilities in the country drew Pakistani nationals to India. There has been a recent thaw between the two countries after PM Narendra Modi invited Pakistani PM Nawaz Sharif for his swearing-in ceremony at Rashtrapati Bhavan.

Other high growth countries include the Russian Federation where the number of tourists increased from 1.77 lakh in 2012 to 2.59 lakh in 2013, recording a 45.96% growth. Countries in the West Asia region including Kuwait and Saudi Arabia also registered growth. Tourists from Kuwait increased by 60% from 5,256 in 2012 to 8,461 last year while travelers from Saudi showed an increase of 33.5% from 32,127 tourists in 2012 to 42,892 in 2013.

The top 10 source countries for India remained constant including the US, UK, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Russian Federation, Canada, Germany, France, Malaysia and Japan. About 10.08 lakh tourists from the US came to India in 2013 as compared to 10.03 lakh while UK was a distant second with 8.09 lakh tourists last year compared to 7.88 lakh in 2012. Travelers from Bangladesh increased by 7.70% from 4.8 lakh in 2012 to 5.2 lakh in 2013.

Year....tourists from Pakistan

2007....1.06 lakh

2013...1.11 lakh
Record number of Pakistanis visited India last year - The Times of India

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My views on the matter as expressed on another thread:

You bridge gaps with people who are better, you dont bridge gaps with a population that has been radicalized over decades, that has not been living in a pluralistic society and is a violent society.

If they are given visas, they will come here and transport their ideas of shariah and non-Muslims to people living here.

We need to have a transactional relationship with Pakistan - one in which they dont trouble us in Kashmir and we do not trouble them in other areas. Where we can have mutual trade.

Other than that, we dont require anything else. And this can be accomplished by giving visas to just the various elites of Pakistan. They are the ones who actually make decisions in Pakistan.

We must actively reduce the number of common Pakistanis coming to India.

1 lakh Pakistani's coming to India each year is nothing short of a travesty!Even if they influence 2 Indians, that is 2 lakh Indians with Pakistani vision of shariah and non-Muslims each year!

Now that we have a different Government in charge, it must reduce this number to less than a quarter!

@niaz sir, @Icarus We can continue our discussion from the other thread here. It is more relevant.
What a radical and xenophobic view from you, I really expected better. :tsk:

He comes from dirty ganga land, being dravid midget he is obsession with pure land is hardly surprising.

Oh man, this must be the most unoriginal trolling comment I have seen. You are not even trying anymore :-)

come on man, it's not that hard to troll Indians

Oh man, this must be the most unoriginal trolling comment I have seen. You are not even trying anymore :-)

come on man, it's not that hard to troll Indians

Bhai i am not trolling but telling the truth. Dravids should be banned IMO.

Bhai i am not trolling but telling the truth. Dravids should be banned IMO.

Then you have to ban me (not a bad idea) but also ban nair and levina who are more reasonable members. Don't forget Seiko, Koovie who are all members coming from Kerala, and are not jingoistic or religious extremists.

Don't forget my bro acetophenol he is a keralite and dravid as well :)

Then you have to ban me (not a bad idea) but also ban nair and levina who are more reasonable members. Don't forget Seiko, Koovie who are all members coming from Kerala, and are not jingoistic or religious extremists.

Don't forget my bro acetophenol he is a keralite and dravid as well :)

Sir not original dravids like you because we have so much in common, we share common history. But wannabe dravids of UP/Bihar, they have infested this forum with ganga dirt.

What a radical and xenophobic view from you, I really expected better. :tsk:
In this aspect, I would say we have to learn from the example of Pakistani's.

They opened the door to radicalization with the wahabis and allowed them to affect the society which they never knew could become so destructive one day. An ideology could become so damaging.

Should we play with the same fire? Or be safer at the risk of being radical?

I am being xenophobic so that we can get a rightist view as well in addition to the constant leftist side all Indians are born with.

Sir not original dravids like you because we have so much in common, we share common history. But wannabe dravids of UP/Bihar, they have infested this forum with ganga dirt.
LoL what is a original dravid?Only Pakistanis believe fake theories of Aryan,Dravidian race theories put forward by Nazi germany while europe has discarded such theories as fantasy.There is no Aryan race,Dravidian race.Its just Indians.

@Contrarian

I've quickly scanned the first few pages of this thread. I've noted your views and extreme opinions. I've also read the troll posts that arose in reaction to your extremist views.

I will let some other mod take action here. In my judgement either the whole thread should be deleted because this here is a troll fest pure and simple. But apparently you did not mean it as such and probably were giving your honest opinions. However, your opinions have attracted trolling as a result and I can not be selective about trolling and extreme opinions. I can not take one out and leave the other that had caused it.

Indians like you and @Bearwithclaws come to PDF, spread your absurd views and trolling, insult our identity, belittle everything every effort, every thought even that Pakistanis might have - and then you have the gall to accuse Pakistanis of spreading extremist views and what not. What is it that you and people like yourself do here on PDF all the time, if not spread negativity and extreme opinions? You can dish it out but you can not take it. That is called hypocrisy.

It is very ironic that your views are like self-fulfilling prophecies. What you claim and what you advocate out of fear is exactly that which would create all that you fear. Only when you think of people as objects and deal with them as such, you are signalling that you yourself deserve no better. The antidote of extremism is engagement, unless some totally insurmountable difficulty makes that impossible. IMV there is no such thing between Indians and Pakistanis. Some short-sighted people bent on perpetuating hate should not get to set agenda for everyone.

Finally about that friend of yours and his Tablighi Jamaat cousin: You just do not know what you are talking about here. How many Tablighi Jamaat people have you known, spoken to, or tried to understand what they say? None is my guess. I have met Tablighi Jamaat people in four continents - they are the same everywhere. They are totally apolitical. They are totally focused on making Muslims more aware of their own personal morality and practice. They do not turn people into extremists as such. I know them very well. Many Pakistani members on this forum must also know a good bit about them. That is why it is safe to say that you know nothing about Tablighi Jamaat people. For your information, Tablighi Jamaat started from around Delhi in British India, and is spread all over the world. India is still the head-quarter of this peaceful movement. These people are remarkably alike in their views no matter where you meet them. You can not bring it into this Pakistan-India thing of yours.

I suggest that next time you think of posting a thread like this, do think a little whether or not you are actually abusing courtesy extended to you at PDF.

Last edited:
@Contrarian

I've quickly scanned the first few pages of this thread. I've noted your views and extreme opinions. I've also read the troll posts that arose in reaction to your extremist views.

I will let some other mod take action here. In my judgement either the whole thread should be deleted because this here is a troll fest pure and simple. But apparently you did not mean it as such and probably were giving your honest opinions. However, your opinions has attracted trolling as a result and either I can not be selective about trolling and extreme opinions. I can not take one out and leave the other that had caused it.

Indians like you and @Bearwithclaws come to PDF, spread your absurd views and trolling, insult our identity, belittle everything every effort, every thought even that Pakistanis might have - and then you have the gall to accuse Pakistanis of spreading extremist views and what not. What is it that you and people like yourself do here on PDF all the time, if not spread negativity and extreme opinions? You can dish it out but you can not take it. That is called hypocrisy.

It is very ironic that your views are like self-fulfilling prophecies. What you claim and what you advocate out of fear is exactly that which would create all that you fear. Only when you think of people as objects and deal with them as such, you are signalling that you yourself deserve no better. The antidote of extremism is engagement, unless some totally insurmountable difficulty makes that impossible. IMV there is no such thing between Indians and Pakistanis. Some short-sighted people bent on perpetuating hate should not get to set agenda for everyone.

Finally about that friend of yours and his Tablighi Jamaat cousin: You just do not know what you are talking about here. How many Tablighi Jamaat people have you known, spoken to, or tried to understand what they say? None is my guess. I have met Tablighi Jamaat people in four continents - they are the same everywhere. They are totally apolitical. They are totally focused on making Muslims more aware of their own personal morality and practice. They do not turn people into extremists as such. I know them very well. Many Pakistani members on this forum must also know a good bit about them. That is why it is safe to say that you know nothing about Tablighi Jamaat people. For your information, Tablighi Jamaat started from around Delhi in British India, and is spread all over the world. India is still the head-quarter of this peaceful movement. These people are remarkably alike in their views no matter where you meet them. You can not bring it into this Pakistan-India thing of yours.

I suggest that next time you think of posting a thread like this, do think a little whether or not you are actually abusing courtesy extended to you at PDF.

Lets hope you don't clump all indians in one group . Plus record number of Pakistanis visiting India is a good thing in many ways .

Yaar, I have a much more nuanced approach. My post is specifically addressed to just one person.

It seems contrarian has a blindspot when it comes to Pakistanis.

As witnessed in Senior cafe he does make some awesome, knowledgeable posts :)

What kind of logic is that?they kill you and you treat them?too much Gandhi is bad for life and health.
Treating a small child with heart problems or transplantiinga kidney of a sick person is not being a Gandhi, it is about being human. I am not advocating you to go show your other cheek but slapping a person who is ill is not about being brave.

It seems contrarian has a blindspot when it comes to Pakistanis.

As witnessed in Senior cafe he does make some awesome, knowledgeable posts :)

Spot on! I just do not know what to make of him sometimes. He can be such a friendly person and then come up with shockers like this.

Spot on! I just do not know what to make of him sometimes. He can be such a friendly person and then come up with shockers like this.
hey,,hey,,,.u guys,,@Ravi Nair
In my view @Contrarian 's concerns r genuine,,,,as genuine as that of some Pakistani members here,regarding a Indian movies,serials influence on Pakistani public...:enjoy:....

Back
Top Bottom